US Finance grad. want to go to UK for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolRunnings

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was born and raised in the UK and moved to the US at the age of 11. I'm now 23 and just finishing my Bachelors in Business Administration from a top 10 business program. I decided after a year or two of finance I wanted to be a doctor so have taken: Calculus 1 and 2, Physics 1 and 2, Chemistry 1 and 2, Biology 1, Organic Chemistry 1. I also have research experience, volunteer experience (here and abroad), am on the board of an international NGO, leadership experience, and am an Academic All American D3 soccer player. My GPA, as calculated for medical schools here in the US, will be 3.5. My GPA on my transcript will be 3.67 or so. I scored 1520 (800 math) on the SATs and took a lot of APs in highschool (a 5 in chem. and a bunch of 4s).

I have several options at this point. I am considering doing a post- bac here for a year to finish my classes (Organic 2 and Biology 2) and study for the MCAT. But a big part of me wants to return to the UK for medical school. As such, I have few options:

1. Return and redo my A levels
2. Return and do an "access year" at somewhere like West Anglia
3. Just take the BMAT/UKCAT and apply next year

Obviously 3 would be the best, as it would be quick/inexpensive, but would I be competetive with my finance degree? I would like to go to a top 10 school, and preferably oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, or Kings. Another issue is my status as an international student. I would have to return for 3 years prior to even going to medical school to classify as a national student (rather than international) and avoid the crazy fees. I suppose I could go there for a year and then take the A levels for 2 years, but that will take a long time. My questions:

1. Would I be competetive as is at these top schools?

2. If not, would it be best to do A levels or an access course?

3. How and where would I do my A levels, and which ones should I do? Could I work while doing these?

4. Is it too late to apply to West Anglia?

5. In regard to West Anglia: How good is the program? How is it graded? Would I do the BMAT/UKCAT while there? How many people go on to top medical schools? How does it compare to the A levels?

6. How much studying do the BMAT/UKCAT take?

7. Would there be any sort of financial aid/scholarships available for me?

8. Depending on my path would I be able to apply to a graduate entry program, and am I looking at 4, 5, or 6 years of medical school?

9. I would love to keep playing soccer. Could I do this at uni. in the UK, and would it help my admissions at all?

10. Does being a national rather than international student give you a better chance of admission? The reason I ask is because on the admissions webpage of all the schools it says they determine your fee status (int'l vs. nat'l) after they have already admitted you. Wouldn't this mean they don't try to fill any sort of int'l quota, and just take the best applicants, worrying about whether or not they're int'l after they're already in?

11. Also, my father has lived in England for the past 12 years while I was in the US with my mother. The only break I took from education in that time was a semester off when I was 18, during which I moved back with my father and got a full time job in the UK. Additionally, I'm not a dual citizen but a full UK citizen. Could I make a case as a national student?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm making a lot of decisions right now and I really appreciate all the help!

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.