US Electives available for International Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Things will get much busier in July, I agree. In general, rather than just "an elective" you want a Sub Internship. Many med schools allow 3rd years to bump a core rotation to the 4th year to open an elective slot for them, and some will start doing SubI's then -- because all US students want their SubI done by the time they are applying. Hence, your chances of getting an elective in May or June are good, but your chances of getting a SubI start to drop. I should have been more clear.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm a final year student from India.
I'd like to know
1) How can I build up my curriculum vitae in order to impress program directors to get selected for electives ?
2) Is it considered a drawback if I get an extension on my internship at home college ?

hello
i'm a fourth year medical student from Pakistan.i have applied for final year electives in US. I've been accepted by a hospital for three months.i would like to ask whether its a good idea to do three months electives with the same doctor rather than three different ones.like does the weightage for LORs differ in these two cases?.secondly the doctor with whom i'll be doing these electives is a thoracic oncologist.however i'm more interested in the fields of IM or endo.so would an LOR from these electives work for these fields too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I wanted to ask if any of you know of anyone who has been accepted/school that accepts IMG for US elective without the consent of their homeschool ?
Im studying in China 5th year (total of 6) and from what my seniors have said our school will not sign the consent form of us doing an elective in the states,reason being they don't want to take any responsibility if something goes wrong. I was hoping I could go during my winter holiday in my sixth year.

Thank you for starting and keeping this thread up to date! I have a question about my position as a foreign student: We don't have the concept of "core clerkships" at our school; we do rotations like OBGYN, psych, and a part of IM during our final year. I e-mailed a bunch of schools asking if this makes me ineligible, and I was told that I need to meet ALL requirements, by every institution I e-mailed. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a teaching hospital/medical school where this is not a requirement. What do you recommend I do?

Thank you for starting and keeping this thread up to date! I have a question about my position as a foreign student: We don't have the concept of "core clerkships" at our school; we do rotations like OBGYN, psych, and a part of IM during our final year. I e-mailed a bunch of schools asking if this makes me ineligible, and I was told that I need to meet ALL requirements, by every institution I e-mailed. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a teaching hospital/medical school where this is not a requirement. What do you recommend I do?

My understanding is that core clerkship means completing IM, surgery, ObGyn, and Peds. If you have finished those, you should be fine.

My understanding is that core clerkship means completing IM, surgery, ObGyn, and Peds. If you have finished those, you should be fine.
We do rotations like OBGYN, psych, FM, and a part of IM during our final year. By the time I'm finished with those, I'm no longer a student.