US Citizen, Australian Anaesthesia trained. ?US fellowship -> US employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my favorite part of the city. Everything West of 6th and South of 23rd

Building was on West 23rd between 6th and 7th. Hospital was in Greenwich Village (12th and 7th) so I had a nice walk along 7th Ave every day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Building was on West 23rd between 6th and 7th. Hospital was in Greenwich Village (12th and 7th) so I had a nice walk along 7th Ave every day.
Sadly St. Vincent's is gone now. Probably a Duane Reade or a Chase ATM now lol

• Sad
600k-1.2 mil Aus $ is equivalent to $465k--$776k. I guess they do better than their US counterparts. I wonder if they work ~55 hrs/wk like US anesthesiologists.

Hey mate, I'm also a dual AUS-USA citizen and a Victorian trainee. Thanks for posting this thread as I found it both informative and hilarious. I've been trying to research feasibility of ACGME-accredited fellowships as an FMG. Some shops state they want an ECFMG cert, while others say they only accept graduates of US/CAN residency programs. From what I can read, there is an exception clause for cardiac fellowships where you can enter as an exceptional/academic candidate, but as of a few years ago nobody had yet managed to pull this off. Please do update us with any of your findings regarding this.

My plan is to travel to the US for fellowship and then return home to Australia afterwards. I can't believe what I'm reading about the state of play with midlevel providers in the US. I wonder how long until we follow suit?

For those wondering about income in Australia, an intern makes about $100,000, PGY2 ~ $115,000. Once you start on a training program it jumps to about $150,000-160,000 and goes up each year until peaking at about $200,000 when you are the equivalent of the senior resident. First year consultants (attendings) in totally public practice earn around $350-450k and do 1:1 cases (literally 1 reg and 1 consultant per theatre), full time PP around 600k to 1.2m depending on casemix and workload. This is in AUD and should be viewed in the context of our cost of living. Many anaesthetists do a combination of public and private work, and many comfortable work part-time.

Are things similar in NZ?

(yes, yes, I know it’s a completely different country).

OP mentioned their father is from the US. For some people family is important.
I love my family enough, but ain’t no way in hell I would leave from a much better country with good social network, lack of guns and crazy people willing to pop off everywhere, lack of Covid, good quality of life to come willingly to the US. And face an uphill challenge in training to boot. Hell to the naw. Maybe OP is bored and wants a little excitement in his or her life.
Frequent flier miles would accumulate for me. Besides, where is mom? Sounds like she’s Australian.
Honestly, I think a lot of people have this romanticized, Hollywood view of the US that is not day to day reality. Covid may have changed that view recently if the crazy mass shootings hadn’t.

I love my family enough, but ain’t no way in hell I would leave from a much better country with good social network, lack of guns and crazy people willing to pop off everywhere, lack of Covid, good quality of life to come willingly to the US. And face an uphill challenge in training to boot. Hell to the naw. Maybe OP is bored and wants a little excitement in his or her life.
Frequent flier miles would accumulate for me. Besides, where is mom? Sounds like she’s Australian.
Honestly, I think a lot of people have this romanticized, Hollywood view of the US that is not day to day reality. Covid may have changed that view recently if the crazy mass shootings hadn’t.
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that even if the OP wants a similar "Australian lifestyle" they will make more money in the US. LIkewise, I think we in the US, especially those who disagreed with the past 4 years, like to romanticize living in places like Europe and Australia much in the same way.

Now I do agree with you, there isn't a flood of European and Australian doctors wanting to come practice in the US, but I would say it's more because of the hoops that are needed to jump through versus COVID, guns, etc while knowing they would make more money and pay less taxes if they practiced here. The person who jumps through the hoops usually does it for a reason and my first guess would be family, because again, you're right, why go through all the trouble.