US Atlantic Bridge Program 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steele

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a thread for last year's applicants, but not one for this application year.

Who has their applications out for the program?

Are you applying to the 4, 5, or 6 year program?

Which schools are you applying to?

----

I'm applying to the 5 year program at TCD and NUIG.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread for last year's applicants, but not one for this application year.

Who has their applications out for the program?

Are you applying to the 4, 5, or 6 year program?

Which schools are you applying to?

----

I'm applying to the 5 year program at TCD and NUIG.

Why did not you apply to RCSI and UCD as well?
Talk to Atlantic Bridge and see if you can expand your application to RCSI and UCD. You do not want to miss out.
Do not be intimidated by RCSI's fees. RCSI is the most understanding of the north American system. Honestly, it is worth every penny.

I would, but I am applying without taking the MCAT. Only TCD and NUIG offer a 5 year program that doesn't require the MCAT as far as I understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would, but I am applying without taking the MCAT. Only TCD and NUIG offer a 5 year program that doesn't require the MCAT as far as I understand.
You do not need the MCAT for the 5 year program for sure. You only need the MCAT for the 4 year program (the Graduate Entry Program, i.e. GEP).
Apply for the other 2 schools please, you never know. Call Atlantic Bridge on Friday and see what they say.

Huh. That's weird. The email I got when I requested an application stated that only NUIG and TCD had a 5 year program without an MCA requirement. The email stated:

"YOUR ELIGIBILITY: US and Canadian students who will have completed (i) a bachelor's degree before September 2014 and (ii) have written the MCAT in or before April, 2014 are eligible to apply for Fall 2014 entry to the courses listed below. These are the minimum application requirements, and there are no further specifications for North American candidates.

4-year, Graduate Entry Medicine (MCAT Required)

University College Cork

University College Dublin

University of Limerick

Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland

5-year Medical Degree (MCAT not required):

National University of Ireland, Galway

University of Dublin, Trinity College

Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland - Medical University of Bahrain"

I was not interested in applying to school in Bahrain, so I only applied to NUIG and TCD.

The website states under their FAQ that:

"The National University of Ireland, Galway, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Trinity College Dublin, University College Cork and University College Dublin offer a five-year medical degree course. The MCAT is not required for admission to these courses."

I guess I will give them a call on Friday, because I would definitely like to apply to UCC and RCSI (Ireland campus) if possible. I wonder why there is a conflict in the email they sent me and the website.

I'll post here after I contact them. Thank you, MikeGir, for brining this to my attention.

Last edited:
I spoke with Atlantic Bridge. They stated that the programs at RCSI, UCC, and UCD are intended for students out of high school or that have completed only a few years of undergraduate work.

I'm a postbac who is finishing up my last prerequisite for the MCAT this spring. That is why they didn't include those three colleges in the response to my application request. Good to know.

I spoke with Atlantic Bridge. They stated that the programs at RCSI, UCC, and UCD are intended for students out of high school or that have completed only a few years of undergraduate work.

I'm a postbac who is finishing up my last prerequisite for the MCAT this spring. That is why they didn't include those three colleges in the response to my application request. Good to know.

Interesting. The MCAT will open many doors for you in addition to Ireland. If you are postbac with MCAT, you can easily cruise into one of the Australian Medical Schools which are cheaper than the Irish schools with the same chances to get back into the US or Canada.

Last edited:
Interesting. The MCAT will open many doors for you in addition to Ireland. If you are postbac with MCAT, you can easily cruise into one of the Australian Medical Schools which are cheaper than the Irish schools with the same chances to get back into the US or Canada.

This is somewhat misleading. While the tuition fees at the Australian universities are variable, USyd's fees are $66,000 AUD, and UQ's fees are $58,000 AUD. To the best of my knowledge all of the Australian medical schools have fees in this price range for international students, some may be a bit higher, and others a bit lower.

Most of the Irish schools, with the exception of RCSI, charge international students approximately €40,000 ($62,000 AUD) per year. Plus the cost of living in Australia is considerably higher (1.5-3x more) than it is in Ireland.

That being said, some of the Australian schools do have lower admissions requirements (particularly UQ), and they're certainly not bad options if you're looking to study medicine abroad.

This is somewhat misleading. While the tuition fees at the Australian universities are variable, USyd's fees are $66,000 AUD, and UQ's fees are $58,000 AUD. To the best of my knowledge all of the Australian medical schools have fees in this price range for international students, some may be a bit higher, and others a bit lower.

Most of the Irish schools, with the exception of RCSI, charge international students approximately €40,000 ($62,000 AUD) per year. Plus the cost of living in Australia is considerably higher (1.5-3x more) than it is in Ireland.

That being said, some of the Australian schools do have lower admissions requirements (particularly UQ), and they're certainly not bad options if you're looking to study medicine abroad.

From the FAQ on Atlantic Bridge's website:

"
Tuition fees for the 2013/2014 academic year are as follows:

Four-year courses:
University College Cork – 39,200 Euros
University College Dublin – 39,200 Euros
The University of Limerick – 39,500 Euros
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland* – 50,600 Euros

Five-year courses:
University College Cork – 31,000 Euros
University College Dublin – 31,000 Euros
National University of Ireland, Galway – 31,000 Euros
Trinity College Dublin – 31,100 Euros
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland* – 49,100 Euros
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland – Medical University of Bahrain – 39,500 USD

Six-year courses:
University College Dublin – 31,000 Euros
National University of Ireland, Galway – 31,000 Euros
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland* – 49,100 Euros
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland – Medical University of Bahrain – 39,500 USD*The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland is a private school and a registered charity.

Tuition fees are subject to annual review.
"

I recently applied for the 5 year program at TCD and NUIG, and the four year program at UCC, RSCI, UCD and UL. I am currently working as a clinical cancer researcher at the Mayo Clinic. How much do you think that would help my chances getting into Ireland? I am taking the MCAT in three weeks. My undergrad gpa was 3.20 overall but I got a 3.67 each of the last 4 semesters.

I recently applied for the 5 year program at TCD and NUIG, and the four year program at UCC, RSCI, UCD and UL. I am currently working as a clinical cancer researcher at the Mayo Clinic. How much do you think that would help my chances getting into Ireland? I am taking the MCAT in three weeks. My undergrad gpa was 3.20 overall but I got a 3.67 each of the last 4 semesters.

I don't think how you did in each of the last 4 semesters will be as important as your overall GPA, the 3.20. Which is an acceptable mark. Your MCAT will play the biggest factor. At my university, I don't think anybody got in with less than a 29. Also, there is nobody in the "5 year program" (which is actually just jumping into year 2 of the 6 year program) who already has a bachelor's degree. I think the true undergrad programs, not the graduate-entry programs, draw heavily from people without degrees. But I don't go to Trinity or NUIG so they might be more willing to take on people with degrees since they don't offer graduate entry medicine (pure speculation on my part).

Your chances are good at getting in somewhere if you've got the standardised test score to back-up your application. Research might give you a little boost but don't expect it to get you into medical school in Ireland. I am certain your GPA is "competitive" and won't hold you back from Ireland.

Why not consider osteopathic schools instead of going to school abroad?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to study abroad because I am interested in working in Europe one day. I have German citizenship. Also, I already got wait listed at the two five year schools last year with much less experience. So I hope the Mayo job makes that different between wait listed and accepted:) I've researched it and all the schools seem to be connected with the clinic in some way.

There was someone in a similar situation 3.5 GPA with 3.6+ in last 2 years who was unsuccessful last year. I wouldn't say a 3.2 GPA won't hold you back for Ireland, I think a good MCAT score would be able to balance it though.

I have a 3.5 GPA and a 31 MCAT (12-9-10). Would that be good enough for some of the 4 year programs, namely RCSI?

I have a 3.5 GPA and a 31 MCAT (12-9-10). Would that be good enough for some of the 4 year programs, namely RCSI?

You would be competitive for RCSI but there are no guarantees. With those stats you would likely get an offer from one of RCSI, UCD, or UCC (possibly multiple offers as well).

I'll just point out that UCD was the most competitive graduate entry to get an offer for this year, and it's something ridiculous, like €5000, less expensive for international students at UCD than it is at RCSI.

I'd like to study abroad because I am interested in working in Europe one day. I have German citizenship. Also, I already got wait listed at the two five year schools last year with much less experience. So I hope the Mayo job makes that different between wait listed and accepted:) I've researched it and all the schools seem to be connected with the clinic in some way.

Hi, Charlotte congrats hopefully you get the acceptance this round. Do you know when is the best time to have your application completely done, I am currently in the middle of completing LOR's and offical transcripts....? when would you say is the safest time frame in order not to be disqualified or not considered for acceptance..? Thanks

Hi, Charlotte congrats hopefully you get the acceptance this round. Do you know when is the best time to have your application completely done, I am currently in the middle of completing LOR's and offical transcripts....? when would you say is the safest time frame in order not to be disqualified or not considered for acceptance..? Thanks

I would say now. I just received confirmation that all of my application materials had been received. In the FAQ they attached to the email stated:

The admissions process is an ongoing one. There is no specific date by which final decisions will be made. The first offers are usually issued in late March/April each year, and the last can be issued as late as September.

1. WHEN WILL I HEAR FROM THE ADMISSIONS COMMMITTEES?

Some applicants will be notified earlier than others. Some students who accept offers early in the admissions season may withdraw later in the year and leave a vacancy which may be filled by another applicant who is awaiting a decision. It is not unknown for an applicant to receive an offer of admission less than a month before classes start as a result of a late withdrawal.

So, we ask that you please be patient during the admissions season. If you do not hear from the admissions committees, it is not because they have forgotten you but because they are giving thorough consideration to the hundreds of applications the

I would say now. I just received confirmation that all of my application materials had been received. In the FAQ they attached to the email stated:

Ok great thanks a lot Steele, I'm just waiting on a LOR to be sent over to ab so hopefully by Monday they've recieved it.

I thought the due date for application was November 15?

They actually changed the deadline this year to December 15th. The only difference if you apply late is that the fee for applying is higher. It's not really a deadline as they will accept your application, but I would guess your chances of acceptance are significantly lowered if you apply significantly late.

as in if I apply in january I have no chance?

as in if I apply in january I have no chance?

I wouldn't say that. I would ASSUME your chances would be lowered the longer it takes to get the application into the committee.

If you are really want to know if it will hurt your chances, you can always go to the Atlantic Bridge website and send them an email or call them.

I am making the assumption that chances are lowered the longer you wait. That's just the impression I got from talking to Atlantic Bridge over the phone. I have no dates to back that up with. Give them a call. They are very friendly and responsive.

So when are the first round of applications reviewed by the committees ?

So when are the first round of applications reviewed by the committees ?

When I spoke with them, they said the first round of applications are sent out about now, and the first round of acceptances are normally sent out in late March or early April.

Just applied to the 5-year programs at TCD and NUIG. Anybody talked to any international students there (at any of the med schools, but specifically Americans/Canadians) to see what they think about life in Ireland, life at the school, etc.?

Just applied to the 5-year programs at TCD and NUIG. Anybody talked to any international students there (at any of the med schools, but specifically Americans/Canadians) to see what they think about life in Ireland, life at the school, etc.?

No. But, if you find anyone I would be grateful if you would share what you find out.

I'm in RCSI foundation year (six year program), and from Canada.
Dublin: the best time in my life. Nice and modern city. Irish are extremely nice and approachable folks.
RCSI: great school, fantastic facilities, and very interesting curriculum so far. Quite few Canadians around here. I feel rightfully at home.
I hear that UCD and NUIG are mostly Irish there.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Dublin: the best time in my life. Nice and modern city. Irish are extremely nice and approachable folks.
RCSI: great school, fantastic facilities, and very interesting curriculum so far. Quite few Canadians around here. I feel rightfully at home.

Can you please share when you heard from RCSI - invitation to interview and then acceptance letter? Thanks.

Thanks for responding in this thread! It's great to hear from someone going to med school in Ireland, even if it is at a school that I'm not applying to.

What, in your opinion, would be the best and worst part about your experience studying in Ireland so far?

Thanks for responding in this thread! It's great to hear from someone going to med school in Ireland, even if it is at a school that I'm not applying to.

What, in your opinion, would be the best and worst part about your experience studying in Ireland so far?

Best part: everything. The course load is quite heavy, but it is part of the process of becoming a doctor, so no complains here.
Worst: expensive, and getting more expensive as the Canadian Dollar is going down.

Best part: everything. The course load is quite heavy, but it is part of the process of becoming a doctor, so no complains here.
Worst: expensive, and getting more expensive as the Canadian Dollar is going down.
I couldn't agree more about the cost. Canadian dollar has been shooting down, the UK pounds is going up and my school decides to raise tuition at just the right time...

I wonder when the first round of acceptances will be sent out. I know they send out interview offers in feb already to give people time to buy plane tickets.

I wonder when the first round of acceptances will be sent out. I know they send out interview offers in feb already to give people time to buy plane tickets.

Last year, RCSI sent the interview requests within the first 2 weeks in February. RCSI interviews took place in the last week in February and the first week of March depending on your location. RCSI first round of offers came around March 20. I believe that UCD and NUIG first round offers came towards the end of March as well.

Good luck

Last edited:
Just curious, if anyone here applied to dentistry through the Atlantic Bridge Program for 2014. Does anyone know the application process and cycle? I am interested, but there isn't too much information on here about dentistry.

I applied to RCSI, UCD, UCC, NUIG, TCD. GPA=3.4 MCAT=34

Most likely you will hear from 1 school (depending on the rest of your app). Taking the MCAT has a huge weight on any applicant because it shows that you are more readily able to handle the medical curriculum and places a level of trust with the applicant and the committee selecting students. But it's not only academics that they want to see, they also need to know if you are a real person who has experience and dedication to become a physician. EC's and your CV speak volumes if not more. Character, academics, and personality is what any committee specially a medical committee looks for in a candidate.

I just spoke to Atlantic Bridge on the phone and they said we will hear about RSCI interviews starting this week! Anyone know if we find out about those by email?

Reactions: 1 user
based on the posts from last year, i believe we do find out via email.

GPA 3.9
lots of extra curricular and volunteering
current high school student who applied to 6 year entry for RCSI, NUIG, UCD, RCSI BAHRAIN

what do my chances look like ?

omg ive been checking multiple times daily to see if I have an interview! I cant wait till the cycle is done and I hopefully have an offer! waiting is awful! :arghh:

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone who applied to the RSCI 4 year program got an interview offer yet? I was told that would be decided later this week.