urology + complex and critical patients... a happy marriage between the two?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it- basically, I am drawn to many things about urology. In particular, I love that urologists have the ability to restore quality of life so dramatically, and the anatomy and procedures are cool. Also, (forgive me if this sounds arrogant) but I pride myself in being a person who makes it easy for patients to discuss highly sensitive topics. I used to be a sexual assault examiner and always got great feedback on how I was able to help the patients open up. I'd like this to be an aspect of whatever specialty I choose.

I'm very drawn to trauma/reconstructive urology. However, another thing I know about myself is that I get bored fast if the adrenaline isn't coursing. I really like sick patients and find that it optimizes my attention to detail if there's a lot of complexity.

In general, how is the acuity in urology.. trauma/reconstructive in particular?

Members don't see this ad.

Reconstructive urology is rarely done in the acute setting in my experience, other than bladder perfs. Most of it is delayed, many months after the inciting event. It's far from a trauma ex-lap, in terms of adrenaline, though it can be interesting/exciting. You're like a 1st year medical student, don't stress so much, just learn all you can and find the right specialty for you.

Meh, not stressed, just trying to think it out a bit before I figure out my summer research project. To be honest, I think I could be happy doing either one. I definitely learned a few things about what I like and don't like in a patient population during my years as a nurse, but who knows, maybe the same criteria won't apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want "excitement", urology probably isn't the field. However, if you really like urology, my heart beats fastest when doing complicated oncologic cases - large renal tumors, retroperitoneal lymph node dissections, IVC thrombectomies, etc. So, a urologic oncology fellowship is probably the closest thing to operative excitement - ie risk of massive hemorrhage.

Will second onc. Post-cystectomy patients are some sick patients. Urologists are rarely involved in trauma aside from sewing up the ureters and bladders the gynies cut. Bladder and urethral injuries happen from time to time, but closing the bladder or placing an SP tube (the usual treatment for these injuries) aren't exactly considered exciting by most people. Most of the time the trauma surgeons won't even call you in for a bladder injury.