UK Urology resident looking to move to the US for family reasons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ss259

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am a year 2 Urology resident in the UK. My field of interest is Female and male reconstructive surgery. Academically, I am currently in the last few months of my PhD in biomaterials engineering, I have a masters in surgical sciences from the University of Edinburgh and I have a few book chapters and 6 first author papers (functional and reconstructive themed) in good journals. Due to family circumstances, I might need to move to the US which is why I have started looking at the US residency system. My graduation year was 2009 and I am 36 years old. I am looking for some guidance here regarding what to aim for to make my application competitive to get into residency in Urology. With step 1 being pass/fail, Step 2 CK scores would be key for good programs. Other than that, a few observerships to get US LORs? Im aiming to apply next year before the September deadline. Id be grateful for your advice and guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Coming as an IMG, even from the UK with a great background and PhD, may be a tall order. You’ll need to pass your steps, aim for 250 on step 2, get great letters from your PI and US rotations.

Your best bet is going to be through connections from your research background to get a foot in the door. Does your lab overlap with any GU ones stateside? If so rotate there. For tissue engineering wake forest comes to mind. Otherwise I’d focus on other programs that have strong recon programs with basic science research. Sim for 2-3 rotations and knock them out of the park, as those (and the letters from them) will be your best shot at matching.

Reactions: 1 users
Coming as an IMG, even from the UK with a great background and PhD, may be a tall order. You’ll need to pass your steps, aim for 250 on step 2, get great letters from your PI and US rotations.

Your best bet is going to be through connections from your research background to get a foot in the door. Does your lab overlap with any GU ones stateside? If so rotate there. For tissue engineering wake forest comes to mind. Otherwise I’d focus on other programs that have strong recon programs with basic science research. Sim for 2-3 rotations and knock them out of the park, as those (and the letters from them) will be your best shot at matching.
Thank you! I’ll research some of the programs and start formulating a plan for rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great points and I echo what DoctwoB says as well! Networking and connections are going to be the faster horses.

I would add, see if anyone from your current PhD program, research alumni or clinical alumni have ties to programs in the USA. Maybe some faculty have collaborated in the past or want to start a future collaboration and you could be a vessel for that endeavour.

Best of luck!
Thanks @VectorPhoton. That’s a good shout. There are links with Vanderbilt that I know of. I’ve written a few book chapters with the faculty there. There are a few labs working on mesh fibrosis which I’m working on as well so there might be something there. I’ve set targets for step 1 and 2 CK to finish before sept next year so I can put applications in. I’ll put in the effort and see where it leads me.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys. I am a year 2 Urology resident in the UK. My field of interest is Female and male reconstructive surgery. Academically, I am currently in the last few months of my PhD in biomaterials engineering, I have a masters in surgical sciences from the University of Edinburgh and I have a few book chapters and 6 first author papers (functional and reconstructive themed) in good journals. Due to family circumstances, I might need to move to the US which is why I have started looking at the US residency system. My graduation year was 2009 and I am 36 years old. I am looking for some guidance here regarding what to aim for to make my application competitive to get into residency in Urology. With step 1 being pass/fail, Step 2 CK scores would be key for good programs. Other than that, a few observerships to get US LORs? Im aiming to apply next year before the September deadline. Id be grateful for your advice and guidance.
I am a urologist int the US, I completed my residency at UT San Antonio, after completing medical school and FY1 in the UK so it is possible. Step 1 pass fail change will make it harder especially as programs are figuring out how they will handle this. I assume some will take fewer FMGs but you have the opportunity to do very well on step 2 and I think from the subject mater that is easier for FMGs than to do well on step 1.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot @non prostate owner MD! We’re there any visa issues? I’ve heard there’s J1 and H1B. Im in touch with a few programs to get observerships sorted. I’ll keep going and hopefully it all works out in the end.