URochester versus Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matchato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any feedback for these two schools! Rochester has a great reputation, really nice facilities, and a very supportive/inspiring community. Cons include weather/location and lack of recorded lectures, though they do provide detailed syllabi. Being from NYC, I'm also attracted to Downstate for location, diverse population, and extensive clinical exposure.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are from NYC, isn't Dowstate way less expensive?

The difference in tuition comes out to be a little under 10k which isn't a huge deal considering the expenses in NYC. I have a lot of support in NYC which is really appealing. How do you all feel about the match lists? It seems like rochester might be slightly better but downstate matches very well in the city.

My first instinct was that Rochester would be the better option because of residency placement, but after comparing the match lists I'm not so sure... it seems like Downstate actually matches hella well too (lots of high tier IM and 10 in ophtho stand out to me in particular). Could someone with more experience evaluating these lists verify?

Downstate
Rochester

I think Rochester has the overall stronger/geographically wider ranging match list, but the difference isn't as large as I thought it would be. If NYC is the better location for you then I'd consider going to Downstate. Location + no recorded lectures were the main reasons why I withdrew from Rochester.

Also, you better decide quick because we're past April 30!

Reactions: 1 user
Digging up old posts but wanted to mention that Downstate matches extremely well, possibly the best match list of any public school in the nation. NYC hospitals love Downstate's training. @byunprime2

Downstate matches extremely well, possibly the best match list of any public school in the nation. @byunprime2

Uhh... not denying that Downstate has a solid match list, but this seems a bit hyperbolic to me considering that UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UMich, UVa etc are all public schools as well. Downstate might not even have the best match list of public schools in NYS (Stony Brook was really solid this last year...)

Lol let me make this easier for you: nice decent town or the “hood”? NYC is nice and all...until you have to spend 4 years across the street from the projects.

Sincerely,
Native NYer

Rochester all the way.

I think rochester is the better school but you have to think about where you would be happier. While downstate isn't in the nicest part of Brooklyn it's still a great school. While it doesn't have the national clout of rochester if your goal is to stay in nyc i think both choices would be valid.

Lol let me make this easier for you: nice decent town or the “hood”? NYC is nice and all...until you have to spend 4 years across the street from the projects.

Sincerely,
Native NYer

Rochester all the way.
If you think Downstate is in the “hood”, then you’ve never been to the hood in Brooklyn.

Downstate is next to Brownsville. You don’t consider that the hood?
Downstate is as close to Brownsville as it is to Crown Heights/Park Slope. That’s Brooklyn for you - the area is getting gentrified so quickly there will be little “hood” left in Brooklyn soon.

Downstate is as close to Brownsville as it is to Crown Heights/Park Slope. That’s Brooklyn for you - the area is getting gentrified so quickly there will be little “hood” left in Brooklyn soon.

Yes east flatbush isn't as bad as it was years ago, but I think if you actually spent time near Downstate you would see it is certainly not anything like Park Slope. Same goes for Crown Heights (which doesn't even border Park slope btw) once you go east of Franklin avenue... Yes, things will probably continue to gentrify, but the immediate area around Downstate has a ways to go. As a student, this has positives and negatives.