SUNY Upstate vs SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vintagepremed__

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been done before, and they're two very different schools. For context, I would love to be in NYC not just for med school but for residency and beyond. So I have been leaning Downstate for some time. But with the hospital closure, and other things I've seen online, I'm having a hard time deciding! Similar FA/tuition although NYC COL is obviously much higher than Syracuse/CNY.

SUNY Upstate
Pros
  • Year 2 of a new curriculum that appears to have some really great aspects, including clinical experience week 1, true pass-fail
  • New facilities and a new academic building
  • Students/faculty/staff seems incredibly chill, supportive
  • They've been very prompt with communication, very organized and on-top of things

Cons
  • Year 2 of a new curriculum that appears to have things to iron out (lecture is optional but at least 3 days/week of mandatory stuff; in-house exams that are "NBME-like," but not quite)
  • Location (far from everything, weather, one of the cloudiest cities in the US)
  • Not a crazy research school
SUNY Downstate
Pros
  • The dream curriculum: pass-fail, NBME, optional activities, exams every 10 weeks (which I prefer); hands-on clinical training
  • Students seem incredibly chill, supportive
  • Location! (where I want to be for med school/life: lots of friends/family here; medically underserved patient population/only school in Brooklyn)

Cons
  • Simply put: kind of a mess. Old facilities, teaching hospital closing, rough assessments on reddit/SDN, disorganized communication, etc.
  • Not a crazy research school (but close to other NYC medical schools where I could get involved/shadow/rotate)
As I write this out, I realize I have a strong preference for Downstate. But there's a lot that worries me that swings me in the direction of Upstate. The major thing holding me back from Upstate is location. Would love to hear from acceptees/students. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Downstate. It’s clear you want to go there and it’s objectively the better option for your wants. I don’t tbh either if these schools is a research powerhouse but I would assume downstate is better because of its location to other research options. I don’t think Downstate’s hospital should be too much of a concern. They still have kings county hospital across the street

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely sounds like you want downstate but if you have questions about the Syracuse area, I'm not an accepted student but went to Syracuse for undergrad I understand the hesitation about the location but there's actually a lot of charm to Syracuse and Upstate NY! I loved being there for four years, especially if you like nature/hikes. If you're from New England or NYC the weather is comparable. happy to chat more about the area/the city if you have specific questions and want to message me :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Hoping I can offer some input/advice because I was a somewhat similar position for the past couple of weeks. Although I am not accepted to downstate, I was on the waitlist and was considering writing an LOI because it was my top choice for a while. Ultimately I decided on Upstate mainly because I am accepted and wanted to start finding apartments and not having to wait until it may be too late. I was at the accepted students day and really felt the vibe that they support their students, have an awesome new curriculum that will only help (imo, because i love active learning/TBE), and early clinical exposure which is key. I think the biggest thing that threw me off with downstate was the hospital closing/losing funding and how that will play out in the future especially because most students match for residency there. however I also don't like the area of Flatbush and have a friend of friend who had a really bad experience walking in the area at night alone.

But from your pros and cons list it sounds like you really have some awesome pros about downstate and additionally family and friends there. I think having a support system nearby is super essential (even tho i wont), and if you love nyc/brooklyn and want to practice there that is also a big thing to consider. I feel like every school will have some bit of disorganization at times, so I wouldn't worry about that too much if you choose downstate. I am happy to chat more if you'd like tho!

Last edited:
Thank you all. FYI, seems like their teaching hospital is staying open