URM DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phunkeyfantom

What are words for when no one listens anymore?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any URMs out there looking to apply to DO schools for the 2012 application cycle? Or better yet, are there are any URM DO students or recent graduates lurking on the boards? I'd love to pick your brain about the whole application process, how you felt your URM status either helped or hurt your chances at acceptance into DO schools. There are times when I'm on the DO forum and feel as though I'm the only URM on there :( So please don't lurk; respond. I'm certain there are a nice amount of us that are looking to go DO as well and would totally appreciate any useful input that's out there.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an AA male and I will be applying to DO schools for the 2012 cycle. I really want to get into NYCOM. There are a few DO schools that I know of who make it part of admission objectives to enroll URM (Touro, NYCOM, OSU), I'm sure there's others.

That being said the number of AA in DO schools is substantially lower than MD. I'm opt to think it's because MD schools are more established and have more programs utilizing the enrollment of URMs.

I do not know any AA DO's, so please don't be discouraged and open up the ranks. I would think that being an URM in Osteopathic Medicine would only increase your chances of acceptance. Just let your accomplishments do the talking and forget about the color of your skin. (And the same for judging others as well)

I am also an AA male applying to both MD and DO this summer. Although it may not seem as apparent, there are quite a few URM DOs out there. I went to the SNMA conference last year and I was pleasantly surprised at how NYCOM, PCOM and UMDNJ were represented. I was talking to an AA female who went to UMDNJ-SOM and was doing residency at Yale and she had no regrets on going to the DO route. I also think being a minority will only help your chances of admission. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an AA male and I will be applying to DO schools for the 2012 cycle. I really want to get into NYCOM. There are a few DO schools that I know of who make it part of admission objectives to enroll URM (Touro, NYCOM, OSU), I'm sure there's others.

That being said the number of AA in DO schools is substantially lower than MD. I'm opt to think it's because MD schools are more established and have more programs utilizing the enrollment of URMs.

I do not know any AA DO's, so please don't be discouraged and open up the ranks. I would think that being an URM in Osteopathic Medicine would only increase your chances of acceptance. Just let your accomplishments do the talking and forget about the color of your skin. (And the same for judging others as well)

Not sure why you "really want to get into NYCOM" You sounded as if you've completely r/o applying to M.D. program. I will highly recommend applying to both M.D./D.O. school!

I'm a URM who applied this past cycle to MSUCOM and was accepted. Honestly, I really didn't place any emphasis on being AA...I just worked hard, shadowed MSUCOM alumni, and made a point to get to know academic advisors there so they would know me when my name came up in front of adcom.

At OSUCOM's "admitted student day" back in February there were quite a few other urms in addition to myself. This included us newly accepted and also current students.

I'm a AA applying to DO schools this summer with hopes of getting into PCOM-GA, OSU, Touro-NV, VCOM-SC??, and maybe KCUMB.

I'm a URM who applied this past cycle to MSUCOM and was accepted. Honestly, I really didn't place any emphasis on being AA...I just worked hard, shadowed MSUCOM alumni, and made a point to get to know academic advisors there so they would know me when my name came up in front of adcom.

Can you please how high your GPA and MCAT ,Shadow hours...for apply MSUCOM if you don't mind. Because I want to apply this year, so I want to see do I have a chance or not.

I am also an AA male applying to both MD and DO this summer. Although it may not seem as apparent, there are quite a few URM DOs out there. I went to the SNMA conference last year and I was pleasantly surprised at how NYCOM, PCOM and UMDNJ were represented. I was talking to an AA female who went to UMDNJ-SOM and was doing residency at Yale and she had no regrets on going to the DO route. I also think being a minority will only help your chances of admission. Good luck!
Can you please the meaning of AA? Is DO diffierent than MD? Is DO hard to get a job or lower salary compare to MD? Thank you.

Can you please how high your GPA and MCAT ,Shadow hours...for apply MSUCOM if you don't mind. Because I want to apply this year, so I want to see do I have a chance or not.

I actually prefer to stay relatively anonymous. My scores are about average for an MSUCOM matriculant. My MCAT was a bit unbalanced, but I did very well in the Bio section (and actually had COM admissions advisor admit that it was the most important section they looked at so I'd be ok with the score--I had initially been ready to retake the exam). I had about 20-25 hours of shadowing. Admissions wants more than just your scores though. I had well over 1200 hours of volunteer work, a lot of EC's showing leadership and community involvement, and a job experience in a clinical setting that also showed leadership. My personal statement was solid and I had great letters of recommendation. If you are planning to apply this year, schedule an appointment with a MSUCOM admissions advisor asap and bring a copy of your transcripts, etc so they can go over everything with you and point out where you need to improve, etc. Assuming everything is in order, apply as soon as you are able to. The earlier you apply in the process, the better your chances.

To answer your other post...

AA = African American
There are several threads on sdn that will explain the differences between a DO and MD. The search function will help you find them.
Salaries will vary by specialty, not by whether you have a DO or MD after your name. There have been some recent threads on this topic too, which you'll find as you explore sdn more.

If you want some interesting reading on DO's, check out "The DO's" by Norman Gevitz.

Good luck!! :)

Im a AA and I applied DO last cycle. I applied to a couple DO skools ( got an interview at DMU). I was very impressed; two of my friends go to DO skools. I would have been proud to go to a DO skool but I was waitlisted. This cycle I only applied MD, I started my DO application and never did my secondaries. I was accepted to MD skool early in this cycle. I didnt have the funds to finish my DO apps. My gpa was higher on my DO app because of grade replacement but I got into MD skool easier.

Hey, not sure if this post is too late. But I just finished my first year at DMU... feel free to private message me with any specific questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am an AA male applying to both DO and MD programs this summer! Hope everyone continued success.

I'm an AA male attending a DO program starting in July. Got questions? I got answers (maybe)

I'm an AA male attending a DO program starting in July. Got questions? I got answers (maybe)

Why do you think the numbers of AA males matriculating at DO schools is so low? Is it because they are getting MD acceptances and going that route instead or are the schools simply not actively recruiting/dont care about specifically recruiting AA students?

Why do you think the numbers of AA males matriculating at DO schools is so low? Is it because they are getting MD acceptances and going that route instead or are the schools simply not actively recruiting/dont care about specifically recruiting AA students?

In my opinion, it's a combination of a few things. For one, there are low numbers of AA males applying to med school period. Because of that, an AA male who is competitive for DO programs is also automatically competitive for MD programs. THE HBCUs graduate half the AA doctors every year and they are all MD programs. There is not a lot of awareness of the equality of MDs and DOs in the AA community. One of my best friends in ug was discouraged from applying DO because several doctors (many being AA) bashed the field when she talked to them. She had a 3.9 GPA and a 24 MCAT; she would have been accepted to just about any DO program she applied to, but instead she's 3 years removed from ug (like me) and she's going to an MD program. I don't know about the rest of the DO schools, but I know my school (UMDNJ) and PCOM have admissions reps who actively recruit AAs.

So in summary, I think we need more AA males to apply, we need to have more DO awareness in the AA community (so more AA DO role models) and more forums like these

In my opinion, it's a combination of a few things. For one, there are low numbers of AA males applying to med school period. Because of that, an AA male who is competitive for DO programs is also automatically competitive for MD programs. THE HBCUs graduate half the AA doctors every year and they are all MD programs. There is not a lot of awareness of the equality of MDs and DOs in the AA community. One of my best friends in ug was discouraged from applying DO because several doctors (many being AA) bashed the field when she talked to them. She had a 3.9 GPA and a 24 MCAT; she would have been accepted to just about any DO program she applied to, but instead she's 3 years removed from ug (like me) and she's going to an MD program. I don't know about the rest of the DO schools, but I know my school (UMDNJ) and PCOM have admissions reps who actively recruit AAs.

So in summary, I think we need more AA males to apply, we need to have more DO awareness in the AA community (so more AA DO role models) and more forums like these

Do you know who the contact people are for these two schools. I called PCOM and they said they dont have an someone who specifically does this

Do you know who the contact people are for these two schools. I called PCOM and they said they dont have an someone who specifically does this

Yeah I know the people to contact in those offices, but before I divulge their personal contact info I need you to PM your stats as well as your strongest indicators that can set you apart from other applicants. If I tell you to tell them that I sent you I want to make sure I'm sending quality applicants their way because they will go to bat for you.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm currently busy studying for the MCAT but I will definitely be PMing a few of you folks.

Hey does anyone know of any upcoming DO recruitment events that are happening in the NYC area?

Hey all,
I was sent this scholarship announcement and thought you might be interested in applying. All the best on your applications!

Please help us share the information on AACOM's scholarships for underrepresented minority students.* We would like to encourage those interested 2012 AACOMAS applicants and continuing students, to make applications.

2012 Sherry R. Arnstein Minority Student Scholarship*

This award, named after former AACOM Executive Director Sherry R. Arnstein, recognizes*two osteopathic underrepresented minority students at AACOM's member colleges of osteopathic medicine (one newly accepted student and one continuing student).**
Eligibility
To be eligible, an applicant must be an underrepresented minority (African-American; Native American,*Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian; mainland Puerto Rican, or Hispanic) student in good academic standing and currently enrolled in his or her first, second, or third year at an AACOM member college of osteopathic medicine OR an underrepresented minority student who has been accepted and is planning to matriculate at one of the AACOM member colleges. Previous Arnstein Scholarship awardees are ineligible.
Deadline
Entries must be post-marked by March 31, 2012. All entries must include the required Cover Page, with all appropriate signatures, in addition to the required essay. Incomplete entries will not be considered. Awardees will be notified by July 21, 2012.
For details, please visit:* http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/students/finaid/Pages/ArnsteinScholarship.aspx