URM, cGPA/sGPA=3.0, 33Q MCAT, Good ECs, Good LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is Hawaii's med school for in-staters? You might be able to snag a spot there. I don't think there are too many people from Hawaii applying and they shun outsiders. I called to see if they like OOS, and the lady told me flat-out they only accept Hawaiians.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why more people don't give applying a shot when they truly understand why their apps are not statistically the strongest. ECs can strengthen your app so much if you work hard at them. Show your desire to be a doctor through your personality to those who write your LORs so they are written much more personally. Your PS gives you a chance to explain your deficiencies! All of this is free! I feel like, for any below average to average applicant statistics wise, having a good explanation (i.e. acknowledge your flaws and show how you overcame them), does a lot more for you than acting like your average stats should get you an acceptance because matriculant data says you are average. I'd spend the grand and apply in this fashion before spending significantly more money on upper level classes to potentially raise your GPA a few fractions of a point and reach these average stats.

Last edited:
How is Hawaii's med school for in-staters? You might be able to snag a spot there. I don't think there are too many people from Hawaii applying and they shun outsiders. I called to see if they like OOS, and the lady told me flat-out they only accept Hawaiians.

They don't shun outsiders, but there is definitely a large bias (perhaps larger than any other med school) for in-state students. She was wrong about only accepting Hawaiians. There are only 22 Hawaiians at Hawaii's med school. However, only about 20% are OOS so yes, the vast majority are in-state (but that doesn't make them Hawaiian).

I will go to any MD school, and perhaps any one of several good DO schools, before I go to JABSOM (Hawaii).

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump. Any advice on my MD list would be great!

Southern Illinois doesn't accept OOS students, so don't apply there. While I think it's fine for money to not be your primary selection factor, at least be aware that UIC has tuition >70,000 a year for oos students.

If you are looking at midwest-area schools, add Rosalind Franklin instead.

Southern Illinois doesn't accept OOS students, so don't apply there. While I think it's fine for money to not be your primary selection factor, at least be aware that UIC has tuition >70,000 a year for oos students.

If you are looking at midwest-area schools, add Rosalind Franklin instead.

Thanks for the info. I thought the Illinois schools had some kind of contiguous state exception? Especially for Missouri? Maybe I imagined that though :D

Last edited:
You look solid, and schools look very reasonable. You'll def get an acceptance somewhere
do you have ties in Louisiana though? I believe they accept a high percentage instate

You look solid, and schools look very reasonable. You'll def get an acceptance somewhere
do you have ties in Louisiana though? I believe they accept a high percentage instate

No ties to any state besides Missouri. My MD list is based on bottom 10% GPA, location, and cost.

I heard someone around here say that either one or both Louisiana schools will be taking a higher percentage of OOS students in the future. I can't say for certain though.

Thanks for the info, I hope you're right about the LA schools. Any schools on that list that I have no shot at?

Do you have ties to West Virginia? If not, you probably shouldn't waste your money on their secondary unless you really want to go there. They apparently put all OOS on waitlist automatically after interview, and they're very very selective about the OOS students they accept. I'm 3.8/32 and still sitting on waitlist.

Are you sure that even though you're a URM your GPA won't get screened at MD schools? I'm not an expert, but maybe try to ask someone about that. You should be set for DO though. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, I hope you're right about the LA schools. Any schools on that list that I have no shot at?

Until someone more experienced chimes in, I'll throw my two cents out there. I think the list looks good, but UW-Madison (I'm assuming one Wisconsin is MCW and the other is UW-Madison) might be a bit of a reach if you are looking to cut schools. Not saying it couldn't happen, but they are pretty strict with OOS applicants. MCW is fine though. Also, I think West Virginia may be pretty OOS unfriendly.

North Dakota is a waste of time if you have no in state ties.

Until someone more experienced chimes in, I'll throw my two cents out there. I think the list looks good, but UW-Madison (I'm assuming one Wisconsin is MCW and the other is UW-Madison) might be a bit of a reach if you are looking to cut schools. Not saying it couldn't happen, but they are pretty strict with OOS applicants. MCW is fine though. Also, I think West Virginia may be pretty OOS unfriendly.

Ok thank you. I'm definitely trying to cut out schools to save some money and time (on unscreened secondary requests) and I know my chances at MD are already pretty low to begin with because of my GPA.

North Dakota is a waste of time if you have no in state ties.

That sucks. If I remember correctly, North Dakota has the lowest GPA/MCAT of all those schools listed. Thanks for the heads up though.

I'm pretty sure Mercer doesn't take out of staters either...

I'm pretty sure Mercer doesn't take out of staters either...

That sucks. It was toward the top of the list of schools I thought I had the best chance at along with North Dakota.

How is Rush on out of staters?

That sucks. It was toward the top of the list of schools I thought I had the best chance at along with North Dakota.

How is Rush on out of staters?

Rush accepts about 40-50% OOS.

I'd take UIC off that list as OOS COA is highway robbery (~100k/year).

Rush accepts about 40-50% OOS.

I'd take UIC off that list as OOS COA is highway robbery (~100k/year).

Ok thanks for the info about both of those schools.

Here's my updated list!

Just looking for some advice on my current list and also if there are any not on the list that I might have a shot at.

MD Stats: URM, 3.0sGPA/cGPA, 33Q, Good LOR/EC, Missouri resident.
MD List:
Missouri - Columbia
Missouri - Kansas City
Rush
Loyola Chicago
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
LSU - New Orleans
Temple
Tulane
Tennessee
Utah
Wisconson
VCU

Removed
New Mexico Not OOS friendly
West Virginia
Wright State
North Dakota
Wisconsin
Mercer Not OOS friendly and not even in AMCAS....?
LSU - Shreveport AMCAS says strong preference to in-staters.
Marshall 25 OOS. Neighboring states only

DO Stats: URM, 3.22sGPA/cGPA, 33Q, Good LOR/EC, Missouri resident.
DO List:
DMU
ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
KCUMB
CCOM
LECOM
LMU-DCOM

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I may have missed it but do you have state ties in Utah?

No, but their AMCAS description says that they give strong consideration to URMs in addition to in-state residents.

Mercer Not OOS friendly and not even in AMCAS....?

It is in AMCAS, but only if GA is your state of residence...so OOS unfriendly that they don't even allow you to apply!

It is in AMCAS, but only if GA is your state of residence...so OOS unfriendly that they don't even allow you to apply!

Seriously? You'd think they'd just accept primary/secondary apps if only for the extra money.

Haha yea I guess so. Thanks for the support.

Just looking for some advice on my current list and also if there are any not on the list that I might have a shot at.

MD Stats: URM, 3.0sGPA/cGPA, 33Q, Good LOR/EC, Missouri resident.
MD List:
Missouri - Columbia
Missouri - Kansas City
Rush
Loyola Chicago
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
LSU - New Orleans
LSU - Shreveport
Marshall
Mercer
Temple
Tulane
Wisconsin
New Mexico
North Dakota
Tennessee
Utah
Wisconson
VCU
West Virginia
Wright State

DO Stats: URM, 3.22sGPA/cGPA, 33Q, Good LOR/EC, Missouri resident.
DO List:
DMU
ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
KCUMB
CCOM
LECOM
LMU-DCOM

Thanks all!

Add NOVA to ur list...They are MCAT ******..