URM, cGPA/sGPA=3.0, 33Q MCAT, Good ECs, Good LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-MO resident
-23 years old, applied two cycles ago no interviews (2.65sGPA, 2.87cGPA, 28 MCAT at the time)
-URM (Native Hawaiian)

sGPA: 3.22
cGPA: 3.20 (121 total credits)
Post bac retakes/upper level Bio GPA: 4.0 (30 credits)
First MCAT: 28 (8PS, 10VR, 10BS). Will have my retake score on Tuesday (averaged 34 on AAMCs)
GPA has a very strong upward trend; 1.62 Freshman, 2.56 Sophomore, 3.23 Junior, 3.65 Senior, 4.0 DIY Post-bacc at CC. The CC classes are a combination of upper level Bio (A&P1, A&P 2, Micro = 12 credits) and retakes (Physics 1, Gen Chem 1&2, Orgo 1 = 18 credits) totaling 30 credits over a 1 summer, 1 fall, and 1 spring semester.

-I have a good relationship with two professors and a decent relationship with another two. All four are science professors at my CC, two have PhDs and two do not. I haven't gotten them all to write a letter yet, but I'm hoping they will. I will also have a letter from my employer (clinical lab) and she is pretty fond of me (I think).
-40 hours volunteering with the American Cancer Society.
-200 hours volunteering at a children's hospital
-50 hours volunteering with a public health organization
-480 hours shadowing an MD (3 years ago so no LOR)
-About 50 hours shadowing a DO (hopefully I can get a LOR from them as well)
-100 hours volunteering in an MD school research lab. No publication.
-16 months working full-time in a clinical microbiology lab

None of my family members (immediate or extended) are physicians. Mom completed her BA, dad completed only high school. Girlfriend just finished MS2 (MD), but other than that I have no ties to anyone in the medical field.

Edited to add that I am considered a URM. Obviously my GPA is still too low for MD though.

Just looking for some advice on my current list and also if there are any not on the list that I might have a shot at.

MD Stats: URM, 3.0sGPA/cGPA, 33Q, Good LOR/EC, Missouri resident.
MD List:
Missouri - Columbia
Missouri - Kansas City
Rush
Loyola Chicago
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
LSU - New Orleans
LSU - Shreveport
Marshall
Mercer
Temple
Tulane
Wisconsin
New Mexico
North Dakota
Tennessee
Utah
Wisconson
VCU
West Virginia
Wright State

DO Stats: URM, 3.22sGPA/cGPA, 33Q, Good LOR/EC, Missouri resident.
DO List:
DMU
ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
KCUMB
CCOM
LECOM
LMU-DCOM

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-MO resident
-23 years old, applied two cycles ago no interviews (2.65sGPA, 2.87cGPA, 28 MCAT at the time)
-URM if native Hawaiian counts.

sGPA: 3.22
cGPA: 3.20 (121 total credits)
Post bac retakes/upper level Bio GPA: 4.0 (30 credits)
First MCAT: 28 (8PS, 10VR, 10BS). Will have my retake score on Tuesday (averaged 34 on AAMCs)
GPA has a very strong upward trend; 1.62 Freshman, 2.56 Sophomore, 3.23 Junior, 3.65 Senior, 4.0 DIY Post-bacc at CC. The CC classes are a combination of upper level Bio (A&P1, A&P 2, Micro = 12 credits) and retakes (Physics 1, Gen Chem 1&2, Orgo 1 = 18 credits) totaling 30 credits over a 1 summer, 1 fall, and 1 spring semester.

-I have a good relationship with two professors and a decent relationship with another two. All four are science professors at my CC, two have PhDs and two do not. I haven't gotten them all to write a letter yet, but I'm hoping they will. I will also have a letter from my employer (clinical lab) and she is pretty fond of me (I think).
-200 hours volunteering at a children's hospital
-50 hours volunteering with a public health organization
-480 hours shadowing an MD (3 years ago so no LOR)
-About 50 hours shadowing a DO (hopefully I can get a LOR from them as well)
-100 hours volunteering in an MD school research lab. No publication.
-16 months working full-time in a clinical microbiology lab

None of my family members (immediate or extended) are physicians. Mom completed her BA, dad completed only high school. Girlfriend just finished MS2 (MD), but other than that I have no ties to anyone in the medical field.

Hi There. IMO a post-bacc 4.0 at a CC may not hold much ground to an adcom. The rule I've always heard and used is you should retake classes at one university, or at least at a university of equal ranking. It leaves a lot to the imagination if there is that significant of an increase between the two schools. To play devils advocate, you could easily say that the CC was simply much easier than the university. An adcom member would be much more qualified to give advice to you though. But all of my research (MSAR, AMCAS websites, SDN) and medical mentors have advocated my position.

Do you have an MSAR? I'm not sure if a pacific islander is counted as a URM, but you could probably get that info from the MSAR or AMCAS demo reports. Also, the MSAR has valuable information on the demographics at a given school. I know Utah's med school has a large population of pacific islander matriculants but you'd have to look up the rest on your own.

If I were you I would enroll in a post-bacc program at BU, Georgetown, or another reputable program to raise your GPA above at or above a 3.5. I would also try to track down the MD/DO you shadowed to get an LOR, that stuff is priceless. Also, consider DO if you haven't done so already. A GPA of 3.2 and an MCAT of 28 is a little below their averages but you'd have a better chance than at US MD schools. But whatever you do, DO NOT RESORT TO INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS!!!

Hi There. IMO a post-bacc 4.0 at a CC may not hold much ground to an adcom. The rule I've always heard and used is you should retake classes at one university, or at least at a university of equal ranking. It leaves a lot to the imagination if there is that significant of an increase between the two schools. To play devils advocate, you could easily say that the CC was simply much easier than the university. An adcom member would be much more qualified to give advice to you though. But all of my research (MSAR, AMCAS websites, SDN) and medical mentors have advocated my position.

Do you have an MSAR? I'm not sure if a pacific islander is counted as a URM, but you could probably get that info from the MSAR or AMCAS demo reports. Also, the MSAR has valuable information on the demographics at a given school. I know Utah's med school has a large population of pacific islander matriculants but you'd have to look up the rest on your own.

If I were you I would enroll in a post-bacc program at BU, Georgetown, or another reputable program to raise your GPA above at or above a 3.5. I would also try to track down the MD/DO you shadowed to get an LOR, that stuff is priceless. Also, consider DO if you haven't done so already. A GPA of 3.2 and an MCAT of 28 is a little below their averages but you'd have a better chance than at US MD schools. But whatever you do, DO NOT RESORT TO INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS!!!

The thread says "DO" on it. I'm not looking at any MD schools because I know my GPA is too low.

I know the CC classes don't hold as much weight as a 4 year would, but the only 4 years near me cost about $1100 per credit and that just wasn't going to happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thread says "DO" on it. I'm not looking at any MD schools because I know my GPA is too low.

I know the CC classes don't hold as much weight as a 4 year would, but the only 4 years near me cost about $1100 per credit and that just wasn't going to happen.

Yeah that's a bummer. In your experience how rigorous were your CC courses compared to the 4 year? Many CCs have excellent science courses but if it's not well known you may need a LOR that can confirm that.

Yeah that's a bummer. In your experience how rigorous were your CC courses compared to the 4 year? Many CCs have excellent science courses but if it's not well known you may need a LOR that can confirm that.

They were pretty similar to my undergraduate school. My friend's younger sibling is finishing up his first year at the univ I did undergraduate at and I had a chance to compare my gen chem exams with his gen chem exams and the difficulty level was the same. This CC puts out the vast majority of local nurses and allied health professionals in the city. I guess that could be because the 4 year univ nursing/allied health students leave the city, but the science program at this CC is pretty rigorous.

I don't think that matters though; I'm sure a CC is a CC in the eyes of most ADCOMs. I really only had two options though; either take classes at a CC or stick with my <3.0 GPA. Paying $1100-1400 per credit was not an option.

According to this: http://www.america.edu/top_20_pre-med_schools_in_america.html my pre-med univ is a top 10 premed program. Obviously that's completely subjective and probably doesn't even matter though.

Few things. URM status doesnt matter nearly as much in DO as MD, and based on stats for DO it only seems to matter if your black. It doesn't even help hispanics much.

Ill be applying with a 3.26 cum 3.23 so were in the same boat. Your ECs are remarkably similar to mine also, and tbh I think well get a similar mcat although yours may be a few points higher. So, not going to lie, super curious how your season turns out youll have to keep me informed for sure since well be applying with identical stats.

You were crazy for applying the first time, lol. But as it stands now I think you have a fairly decent shot, even with that 28 I think youd get in somewhere. With a 34 and 3.2 you're competitive at like 90% of all the DO schools.

It's also arguable at how much retaking at a CC affects your chances.

Few things. URM status doesnt matter nearly as much in DO as MD, and based on stats for DO it only seems to matter if your black. It doesn't even help hispanics much.

Ill be applying with a 3.26 cum 3.23 so were in the same boat. Your ECs are remarkably similar to mine also, and tbh I think well get a similar mcat although yours may be a few points higher. So, not going to lie, super curious how your season turns out youll have to keep me informed for sure since well be applying with identical stats.

You were crazy for applying the first time, lol. But as it stands now I think you have a fairly decent shot, even with that 28 I think youd get in somewhere. With a 34 and 3.2 you're competitive at like 90% of all the DO schools.

It's also arguable at how much retaking at a CC affects your chances.

Yea I was in complete denial the first time around. It wasn't until after I paid AMCAS/AACOMAS about $1k for primaries that I realized I was wasting my time and money.

Yea I was in complete denial the first time around. It wasn't until after I paid AMCAS/AACOMAS about $1k for primaries that I realized I was wasting my time and money.

honestly, SDN often makes it sound like a 3.2 is terrible. But it really isnt THAT far from matriculant averages for do, around .2. And the average science is around a 3.34. So theoretically, a good mcat score should make up for it. Esp based on LizzyM.

honestly, SDN often makes it sound like a 3.2 is terrible. But it really isnt THAT far from matriculant averages for do, around .2. And the average science is around a 3.34. So theoretically, a good mcat score should make up for it. Esp based on LizzyM.

Yea SDN also makes it seem like a blind 5 year old with half a brain could get a 31 on the MCAT. I know the standards here are much higher than "reality" but it has certainly helped keep me motivated. I remember before I found SDN 3 years ago one of my friends got a 31 on his MCAT and I thought he was a genius. By the time I started taking practice AAMCs before my 4/5 MCAT, I was kind of disappointed with a 33-34.

lol my range has been a 29-32 for my AAMCs but I took all of them last month and my test is may 24th so im hoping and praying i knock it out of the park, hah. Honestly if I got a 30 id still celebrate, a 30 isn't bad at all to me.

yea sdn def motivates you by making you so paranoid that you do everything in an overkill manner lol

lol my range has been a 29-32 for my AAMCs but I took all of them last month and my test is may 24th so im hoping and praying i knock it out of the park, hah. Honestly if I got a 30 id still celebrate, a 30 isn't bad at all to me.

yea sdn def motivates you by making you so paranoid that you do everything in an overkill manner lol

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm more confident about 30 now that I've seen that list of DO MCAT averages. For the most part it looked like 3.4/27.

Good luck on the 24th.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea. As you can tell even with a 30 mcat you still have a higher score then most DO schools or at least comparable

yea. As you can tell even with a 30 mcat you still have a higher score then most DO schools or at least comparable

Yea, the GPA was always going to be the weakness in my app. Sucks because GPA is at least top 2 most important.

Also bump for other input please!

-MO resident
-23 years old,

-URM
-MCAT: 33Q (11, 11, 11)
-sGPA: 3.0
-cGPA: 3.0 (151 total credits)
-Upward trend (1.62 freshman, 2.56 soph, 3.23 Junior, 3.65 Senior. 4.0 post bacc)
-Good LORs,
~300 hours volunteering
~100 hours ersearching
~480 shadowing MD
~50 hours shadowing DO
~16 months working in a clinical lab

Saint Louis University -- I know it's a reach, but I live in Missouri.
Eastern Virginia
University of New Mexico
University of Illinois Chicago
Albany Medical College
VCU
Drexel
North Dakota
SIU
Tulane
Temple
Rush

I'm also applying DO, but I think I might have a shot at some of the lower to mid-lower tier MD schools. Anywhere that I'm missing?

Last edited:
Great, IMO. Look at mdapps. There are matriculated students with sub 3.0's, AND sub 30's. It may not be Johns Hopkins, but you'll be accepted somewhere.

Great, IMO. Look at mdapps. There are matriculated students with sub 3.0's, AND sub 30's. It may not be Johns Hopkins, but you'll be accepted somewhere.

Is the MSAR useful for finding schools with low MCAT/GPA averages?

Yes, it will tell you the mean, 10th/90th percentile for MCAT/GPA, along with other acceptance info and stats.

This info may be avail elsewhere, but it's fairly easy to manipulate and search thru the schools on the online version.

Yes, it will tell you the mean, 10th/90th percentile for MCAT/GPA, along with other acceptance info and stats.

This info may be avail elsewhere, but it's fairly easy to manipulate and search thru the schools on the online version.

Ok thanks. I read that MSAR thread and there were very mixed reviews. Not sure if I wanted to pay the $20.. though it's really not much in the big picture of applications.

I hear you. I have found it to be pretty convenient. And you're right....you're about to spend ~$200K in the next few years...what's $20 more??

I don't agree with you. 3.0 flat is just below the 10th percentile at all schools. A 33, while good, is simply average and can't make up for that GPA.

Also, are you sure those courses were upper division? CC by definition is lower division coursework only. I know this definition has been changing in the past 2 decades, but be sure.

I hear you. I have found it to be pretty convenient. And you're right....you're about to spend ~$200K in the next few years...what's $20 more??

I sure hope I end up having to spend that much in the next 4 years :) I don't want to wait anymore!

I don't agree with you. 3.0 flat is just below the 10th percentile at all schools. A 33, while good, is simply average and can't make up for that GPA.

Also, are you sure those courses were upper division? CC by definition is lower division coursework only. I know this definition has been changing in the past 2 decades, but be sure.

If OP wasn't URM I'd agree 100%....but that's not the case.

I agree with you, but doesn't URM help my application quite a bit?

I agree with you, but doesn't URM help my application quite a bit?

Yes it does big time. With a 3.0/33 close to 65 % of the applicants were accepted. For a URM to have 3.0/33 is equivalent to a non-URM having a 3.4/33 if you don't believe me look up AAMC records for non-URM and URM. Triage must be talking about non-URM. Here's the AAMC table which is official documentation that will prove that you have a reasonable shot at MD schools. You must keep in mind though that you have to apply to low to mid-tier medical schools and very broadly.
URM:-
https://www.aamc.org/download/157590/data/table25-hbn-mcatgpa-grid-3race.pdf
Non-URM:-
https://www.aamc.org/download/157598/data/table25-a-mcatgpa-grid-asian.pdf

Yes it does big time. With a 3.0/33 close to 65 % of the applicants were accepted. For a URM to have 3.0/33 is equivalent to a non-URM having a 3.4/33 if you don't believe me look up AAMC records for non-URM and URM. Triage must be talking about non-URM. Here's the AAMC table which is official documentation that will prove that you have a reasonable shot at MD schools. You must keep in mind though that you have to apply to low to mid-tier medical schools and very broadly.
URM:-
https://www.aamc.org/download/157590/data/table25-hbn-mcatgpa-grid-3race.pdf
Non-URM:-
https://www.aamc.org/download/157598/data/table25-a-mcatgpa-grid-asian.pdf

Yea I'm very familiar with the charts and stat sheets and they are the only reason I bothered making an MD thread (my DO sGPA is 3.22, so I have a pretty good chance there)! Does the MSAR list schools by top, mid, and lower tier? I know there's something like 120 medical schools in the US and I'm hoping there is a better way to find out which would be good for me to apply to other than reading through all 120+ MSAR entries and writing a list of the lowest GPA/MCAT averages.

Yea I'm very familiar with the charts and stat sheets and they are the only reason I bothered making an MD thread (my DO sGPA is 3.22, so I have a pretty good chance there)! Does the MSAR list schools by top, mid, and lower tier? I know there's something like 120 medical schools in the US and I'm hoping there is a better way to find out which would be good for me to apply to other than reading through all 120+ MSAR entries and writing a list of the lowest GPA/MCAT averages.

It's very simple select schools by lowest 10th percentille GPA, make a list and post it on SDN. There are a lot of applicants that are experiencesd with applying and they will help you out. I can tell you this much that Triage has yet to take the MCAT let alone apply so take his "advice" with a grain of salt. Anyone can talk about the experience of others and what they have heard but in the end the most important thing is what you have experienced on your own. Go to mdapplicants search put in the same GPA, MCAT, race as yours and look up records of previous matriculants. Trust me this is not hard, it requires work but definitely not hard.
http://mdapplicants.com/search.php

It's very simple select schools by lowest 10th percentille GPA, make a list and post it on SDN. There are a lot of applicants that are experiencesd with applying and they will help you out. I can tell you this much that Triage has yet to take the MCAT let alone apply so take his "advice" with a grain of salt. Anyone can talk about the experience of others and what they have heard but in the end the most important thing is what you have experienced on your own. Go to mdapplicants search put in the same GPA, MCAT, race as yours and look up records of previous matriculants. Trust me this is not hard, it requires work but definitely not hard.
http://mdapplicants.com/search.php

Ah that's great advice. Thanks for your help!

I still don't think so. A black URM might have a shot at the HBCU, but a Hispanic one is simply treading on a bad territory. The a large number of low GPA Hispanics come from New Mexico or other heavily biased areas. Also, outside of the HBCU bubble will probably not happen for a black applicant with those stats.

What about Native Americans?

I still don't think so. A black URM might have a shot at the HBCU, but a Hispanic one is simply treading on a bad territory. The a large number of low GPA Hispanics come from New Mexico or other heavily biased areas. Also, outside of the HBCU bubble will probably not happen for a black applicant with those stats.

That's all well and good, but that's your speculation. Look at mdapps.

What about Native Americans?

Don't waste your time trying to ask everyone if you have a chance. You know you have a chance so start working on your application. You need to get your application submitted June 1st or the first date they allow you. You need to make your personal statement top notch and get your LORs, trascripts and all of that stuff turned in. You are seriously wasting precious time.

If you apply broadly you might get some love. But there are still plenty of URM that have better stats that will fill those spots.

OP your mailbox is full so it was not accepting private messages. I'm going to respond to your message here.

MedPR said:
Thank you so much for those links :) Someone else suggested that I buy MSAR and search by the bottom 10% GPA schools. Hopefully some of those overlap with the ones that take a lot of my ethnicity as well.

Yeah that is a good start too but when you pick those schools MAKE sure to see how many out of state applicants they accept. If they are OOS non friendly schools then you don't want to mess with them. For example University of Arkansas and west Virginia match with your stats but are extremely IN state friendly so applying there would be a waste of money and time.

mdapps is not representative of the applicant pool. I own the book "Minority Student Opportunities in United States Medical Schools (2009)" published by AAMC, so I think my source is a little bit better. A black applicant can definitely overcome barriers at schools much more easily than a Hispanic applicant. For the person that asked about Native Americans, I don't know. I haven't looked into it much. From my very short knowledge, it seems Native Americans and African Americans have about equal chances.

That was me. I asked about that because I'm Native American (Hawaiian), not hispanic.

OP your mailbox is full so it was not accepting private messages. I'm going to respond to your message here.

Yeah that is a good start too but when you pick those schools MAKE sure to see how many out of state applicants they accept. If they are OOS non friendly schools then you don't want to mess with them. For example University of Arkansas and west Virginia match with your stats but are extremely IN state friendly so applying there would be a waste of money and time.

Thanks, I just emptied it out. Thanks for that too. Makes sense. Sounds like I have a lot of researching to do in the next three weeks.

My apologies. I thought PR was for "Puerto Rico." You should have very little trouble at UHawaii. Something like 1/4 of applicants get accepted.

Haha no problem at all. I'd rather go to DMU or KCUMB than JABSOM (Hawai'i). The only reason I'm trying to avoid going DO is because of the difficulty with matching, but Hawai'i is the only place in the United States that I am unwilling to go for medical school. No desire to go back home.

According to this: https://www.aamc.org/download/160146/data/table31-enrll-race-sch-2011.pdf

Hawaiian's are the least represented in medicine next to the "Other non-hispanic" I don't even know what ethnicities fall into that category.

As you say, almost 10% of all Hawaiian matriculants ended up at JABSOM.

I don't know what's keeping you from wanting to go to Hawaii, but if you can get an MD, I say take it.

I concur with Triage here, 100%. If you can get into school at home (which just happens to be HAWAI'I?!?!), then you go. Not sure which island your family resides on, but if you could save some money during school(possibly living at home, etc), it will put you ahead financially as well.

I know, I know, it's all relative, it's different if it's your home, etc. I don't think there's a question here though (assuming you would have a decent chance in HI).

I don't know what's keeping you from wanting to go to Hawaii, but if you can get an MD, I say take it.

I concur with Triage here, 100%. If you can get into school at home (which just happens to be HAWAI'I?!?!), then you go. Not sure which island your family resides on, but if you could save some money during school(possibly living at home, etc), it will put you ahead financially as well.

I know, I know, it's all relative, it's different if it's your home, etc. I don't think there's a question here though (assuming you would have a decent chance in HI).

I hear you both, and I know it's silly not to make things easier on myself in the future by going to MD route if possible. The problem with Hawai'i is my family being there. I've had family problems since graduating from college and deciding to continue pursuing medicine even though my chances back then were basically 0 (2.65sGPA, 28 MCAT). Parents told me to do something else or move out of the house. This was in October 2011. Dad sent me a text last december saying "You'll never be a man, much less a doctor."

Financially it wouldn't be very beneficial either. Tuition would be cheaper, but I would have to live on my own and the cost of living in Hawai'i would easily cancel out the cheaper tuition.

I hear you both, and I know it's silly not to make things easier on myself in the future by going to MD route if possible. The problem with Hawai'i is my family being there. I've had family problems since graduating from college and deciding to continue pursuing medicine even though my chances back then were basically 0 (2.65sGPA, 28 MCAT). Parents told me to do something else or move out of the house. This was in October 2011. Dad sent me a text last december saying "You'll never be a man, much less a doctor."

Financially it wouldn't be very beneficial either. Tuition would be cheaper, but I would have to live on my own and the cost of living in Hawai'i would easily cancel out the cheaper tuition.
More reason to go to UHawaii because f*ck him. That's why.

Warning NSFW language: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=92D15qtI_Gk#t=97s

More reason to go to UHawaii because f*ck him. That's why.

Warning NSFW language: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=92D15qtI_Gk#t=97s

Yeah, I didn't see that one coming.

Sorry to hear that. But, again, I kind of agree. Fudge 'em.

Haha yea I guess so. Thanks for the support.

Just looking for some advice on my current list and also if there are any not on the list that I might have a shot at.

MD Stats: URM, 3.0sGPA/cGPA, 33Q, Good LOR/EC, Missouri resident.
MD List:
Missouri - Columbia
Missouri - Kansas City
Rush
Loyola Chicago
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
LSU - New Orleans
LSU - Shreveport
Marshall
Mercer
Temple
Tulane
Wisconsin
New Mexico
North Dakota
Tennessee
Utah
Wisconson
VCU
West Virginia
Wright State

DO Stats: URM, 3.22sGPA/cGPA, 33Q, Good LOR/EC, Missouri resident.
DO List:
DMU
ATSU-KCOM
ATSU-SOMA
KCUMB
CCOM
LECOM
LMU-DCOM

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Look if your going to be a physician, money should be your last worry. You are going to become a doctor!!- one of the best careers anyone can achieve, screw the money! You have the rest of your life to pay back loans. Become a doctor and show your dad hes an idiot.

Look if your going to be a physician, money should be your last worry. You are going to become a doctor!!- one of the best careers anyone can achieve, screw the money! You have the rest of your life to pay back loans. Become a doctor and show your dad hes an idiot.

Yea I'm not too worried about money, but it will be a part of my decision making process if I get accepted to more than one school.

My GPA's not too great either (like yours) and I'm also banking on a 30+ MCAT (otherwise I'm screwed). I think if you apply broadly enough you shouldn't have a problem getting into a few DO schools you'll be happy going to.