Urgent Need of Advice: I am confused.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the Undergrad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation:

Just graduated from college. With a psych. degree. I was going to apply to MPH schools for Fall 2006 for the upcoming admission deadlines. Now, let me just tell you guys that my ultimate goal is medical school. My Science GPA is very low. Hence, as a final resort, I had made my mind that I'd go to grad school and get an MPH. More so as a backdoor to medical school, rather than my little-more-than-average interest in public health itself.

Problem:

Money is an issue with me. Like I said if an MPH would be my final step, I would've gladly take loans and do an MPH, but like I said, I want to attend medical school. So practically, I can't possibly take more loans for medical school later. And an MPH is expensive on its own. Last night I was at Emory's website and I was flabbergasted to learn that their tuition is $895/hour!!! That is... just... too... much. I am not rich, and sadly, being a psych. major, there aren't enough financially rewarding jobs out there for me.

Now here's where I need your suggestion:

I was thinking of getting another bachelor degree. This time, in Biology. I talked to an academic councelor at a local JC, and apparently since I've already taken most pre-med courses, I could be done with a bachelor's in Bio in approx. a year and half. Hence, I'm fiddling with the idea of doing another bachelors, and forget about doing an MPH altogether.

Because let's look at it this way: My whole "plan" was to use the MPH degree as a means to impress med schools. Yet, there's really NO GUARANTEE that I'd get into medical school (considering my poor science GPA) even after doing an MPH. And, ofcourse, there's still no guarantee that I could get into med schools after getting a BS in bio. However, atleast I can be assured that I could get a good job after a BS in bio, without building huge loans (which I'd HAVE to take if I do an MPH). Plus, if I do well with my bio major, I have an additional advantage of resurrecting my poor science GPA.

So, basically all I'm asking you folks if it's a good idea to not do an MPH at all, and instead do a Bachelors in Biology. PLEASE, please give me your honest advice, no matter how brutal it might be. I am really depressed thinking about this on my own. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want the MPH why would would you even get it. There are plenty other 'backdoor' ways into medical school. Have you thought about working for a bit for a hospital or even a medical school. Work experience counts for a lot and if you work for a medical school that you like and would like to get into you could at least get people to recognize your name. But really the idea of getting a MPH and spending all that money when you really dont' care to have it isn't really a good idea. Most likely you won't do well in the degree and you may not even get it.

I agree with boogita. The MPH isn't a good "backdoor" into medical school, especially if you're not committed to public health. (I think most med school admissions people will see through that, and/or inquire heavily about it...) As you've noticed, MPH programs do tend to cost a lot, and they require a lot of work.

Go for the BS in biology if it's something you enjoy and think you can do well. It sounds like that might be faster and cheaper than an MPH program anyway, particularly if it will also allow you to save moving expenses.

There are also some post-baccalaureate pre-med progams whose sole goal is to help people finish up pre-med requirements and apply to med school successfully. I don't know if they'd be right for you, but you might want to look into them as a possibility.

Finally, as boogita suggested, you could try working for a while in some sort of lab or nonprofit setting, possibly while taking classes to boost your science GPA. Then you'd get some good experience and a little bit of money while you try to sort things out and apply to med school.