MPH Am I Screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowy_owl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to six MPH programs for fall 2016, and haven't heard back from a single one yet. Many people on this forum seem to have heard back from several, if not all of their schools. (And some of my friends have gotten tons of acceptances in other graduate programs.) Should I stop caring, checking emails, and accept that I won't be going to grad school this year/make other plans?

If it makes any difference, my schools were, in no particular order, Columbia (sociomedical sciences) , NYU (global health), Penn (generalist), GW (maternal and child health), Emory (global health), and Arizona (policy).

Members don't see this ad.

When did you apply? I think a lot of when people hear back has to do with whether they applied by the early deadline.
Another thing is (at least my experience) with Emory, I never got a single email from them. I just went on the opus website and created a login myself and all of the documents were in there.
I don't know about Penn or Arizona but I think a lot of people are still waiting on GW, Columbia and NYU so don't worry!
:zip:

Not hearing isn't the same as a rejection. It isn't med school, you should hear something from everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you apply? I think a lot of when people hear back has to do with whether they applied by the early deadline.
Another thing is (at least my experience) with Emory, I never got a single email from them. I just went on the opus website and created a login myself and all of the documents were in there.
I don't know about Penn or Arizona but I think a lot of people are still waiting on GW, Columbia and NYU so don't worry!
:zip:

I applied by the early/scholarship deadline for each school if they had it, but close to the deadlines (e.g. if a school was due on 1/15, maybe I applied around 1/14, which I know is a bad practice but I've been trying to deal with some personal things lately)...

Checked OPUS, tried to create an account, but got a message saying I'm "currently not eligible for a Network ID at Emory." :/

I applied by the early/scholarship deadline for each school if they had it, but close to the deadlines (e.g. if a school was due on 1/15, maybe I applied around 1/14, which I know is a bad practice but I've been trying to deal with some personal things lately)...

Checked OPUS, tried to create an account, but got a message saying I'm "currently not eligible for a Network ID at Emory." :/

Honestly, I really don't think you're out of the running. I know it's anxiety inducing when you see everyone with their acceptances already (I was there all until this past week), but I think you should be hearing back soon. With Emory, I would contact them in particular about your NetID to see what's going on with that. If you submitted by their deadline, I'm sure they will look at your application (not sure if you meant you e-submitted by the deadline or were complete by the deadline).

I checked SOPHAS a few weeks ago and the BSHE department as well as the Emory has said they are taking applications UNTIL July 2016 and will consider every application up until that point (or all seats fill up) so I don't doubt you don't have a chance of being accepted and admitted. I wish you the best of luck! <3