UQ vs Deakin vs Wollongong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daemos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been fully accepted to Deakin and UQ, and am still on the wait list for Wollongong, but I was wondering what you guys would rank the schools for education/curriculum, cost of living, lifestyle, and city.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't a large variability in terms of "quality" of curriculum from school to school in Australia. However, Deakin and Wollongong place more emphasis on rural/regional medicine, and UQ is more universal.

Personally, I like big schools because they seem to have more random intangible opportunities (research projects, experts at your fingertips, more seminars, more elective/rotation options, etc.). If I had a choice between the three, I'd probably choose UQ. I also have no intention of practicing rural medicine.

Cost of living is higher in Brisbane, but Brisbane is still cheaper than cities like Sydney and Melbourne.

In terms of lifestyle - that depends entirely on what you like. UQ is in a major city, which would be a big plus for me. Wollongong is 10 minutes (walking) from the beach, which is also a big plus for a lot of people. I don't know much about Deakin.

Wollongong isn't a small town, but it's not really a big city either. If you want to go to the city, it's a 1.5-2 hour train ride to Sydney.

You might also want to consider that Deakin and Wollongong don't have a big network of international med students. It helps to have other people who are in the same position as you, especially the support structure that results.

I've mentioned in the past that I'm concerned about the SLIGHT possibility that UQ might start to seem like "another offshore school" thanks to the new Oschner program. That probably won't happen, but it's just one reason why I chose USyd over UQ... still, I think that UQ will be a more recognizable name (if you want to come back to N.America) than Deakin or Wollongong.

Well I currently plan to stay in Australia.

Deakin uses Flinders' curriculum so it should be quite good. I've heard that people find UQ's graduate medicine program to be lacking in the basic sciences, and that some find the anatomy portion to be not so good. This is coming from people who are now practicing in hospitals. Where Deakin and Wollongong seem to have solid areas there.

Rural is fine for me because it will hopefully help me secure an intership spot somewhere.

I'm just worried that UQ's class might be too large and it would be easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just worried that UQ's class might be too large and it would be easy to get lost in the shuffle.

That's a perfectly reasonable concern. The classes are huge, over 400 per year now. Of course the PBLs and other tutorials are done in small groups, but with huge classes comes that possibility of getting lost, of losing out on the benefits of a tight-knit community, splintering of community, more difficulty (delays, and headaches) with administration, etc.

There are some pluses to size, too, such as the ability to find special interest groups (like-minded people into what you're into, like sports or focussed study groups), or meet new people every time there's a med function, or the potential to be a big fish in a big pond, if that's what you're into.

If you can't see taking advantage of UQ's size, it may haunt you to be there.

Personally, I love big institutions, since I like to take advantage of niche resources. For example, USyd has an entire Medical Humanities department, and I'm working with them on my required "independent learning activity". Of course, there are also obvious cons.

As a side note - You may already know this, but if you plan to stay in Australia, make sure that you have a specific plan for getting PR during med school (unless you already have it). News regarding internships seems to be getting bleaker by the day.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get a PR...but my plan has always been to try to go somewhere remote and rural as I might get a better chance there.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get a PR...but my plan has always been to try to go somewhere remote and rural as I might get a better chance there.

Your internship chances won't change significantly depending on whether you go somewhere rural. At the moment, first-year internships are not merit-based. In the future, they're on pace to reach a point where there are essentially ZERO internships available for people who aren't PRs, regardless of whether you watn to go somewhere remote/rural. Most people are willing to go rural for a year if that's what they need to do, but right now, it seems like that's not even an option.

Hopefully, that situation will change in the future... but if you're sure you want to stay in Australia, you might be setting yourself up for disaster if you enter as an international student.

Hey guys,

I've been fully accepted to Deakin and UQ, and am still on the wait list for Wollongong, but I was wondering what you guys would rank the schools for education/curriculum, cost of living, lifestyle, and city.

Thanks!

I would say of the three, UQ is the most established medical school. Of all the Australian medical schools that I have seen UQ probably has the best facilities and teaching hospitals other than Melbourne University. I heard UQ has an option where you can finish your clinical training at Ochsner in Louisiana. I think that is a very nice option for those people interested in practicing in the US.

Despite having a large class size from what most people have told me, there is a very good community among UQ medical students, it might have to do with the fact that Brisbane is a relatively small and friendly city. I live in Sydney, and Sydney compared to Brisbane is like Los Angeles to San Diego. Brisbane is a warm and fairly friendly city, the cost of living is reasonable and the quality of life is the best of all the big Australian cities.

Wollongong is a fairly new school, it has a heavy rural emphasis, its different from other Australian medical schools in that much of your clinical work will be done at rural GP surgeries( medical office for North Americans). Wollongong is a small town about one hour south of Sydney. Personally, I would go for UQ. Also I would say the chances of staying in Australia are better there than in Victoria or NSW should you want to work in Australia. The weather in NSW is also fairly cold for much of the year, its not the stereotypical beaches and sunshine 365 days a year that you would expect in Australia. You would defintely get a more genuine Aussie experience in Queensland.

I don't know much about Deakin except that its brand new.

Congratulations.

Last edited:
Your internship chances won't change significantly depending on whether you go somewhere rural. At the moment, first-year internships are not merit-based. In the future, they're on pace to reach a point where there are essentially ZERO internships available for people who aren't PRs, regardless of whether you watn to go somewhere remote/rural. Most people are willing to go rural for a year if that's what they need to do, but right now, it seems like that's not even an option.

Hopefully, that situation will change in the future... but if you're sure you want to stay in Australia, you might be setting yourself up for disaster if you enter as an international student.

Unfortunately I do not qualify for a PR. I might qualify for a state sponsored PR...but I'm unsure of what documents I would need to have ready, the conditions of a state sponsored visa, and more importantly how I would get a state to sponsor me. Searching on the Australian immigration website is quite difficult.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I do not qualify for a PR. I might qualify for a state sponsored PR...but I'm unsure of what documents I would need to have ready, the conditions of a state sponsored visa, and more importantly how I would get a state to sponsor me. Searching on the Australian immigration website is quite difficult.

I'm going through state sponsorship now (albeit as a doctor) in Queensland, in order to try to speed up my PR processing. I think the same people would be able to help you. Try +61 7 3224 8557 and ask for Ray (14 hours ahead of US east coast). He should at least be able to send you in the right direction.

I'm going through state sponsorship now (albeit as a doctor) in Queensland, in order to try to speed up my PR processing. I think the same people would be able to help you. Try +61 7 3224 8557 and ask for Ray (14 hours ahead of US east coast). He should at least be able to send you in the right direction.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I just googled the specific states immigration department, and each state has their own list of "approved" jobs that they will sponsor and my job is not one of them.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I just googled the specific states immigration department, and each state has their own list of "approved" jobs that they will sponsor and my job is not one of them.

you could attempt to be creative. if you think your most recent job experience sounds similar to one on a list, but otherwise did not have the same title, you could probably provide enough evidence to convince them. check out the australian standard classification of occupations index: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]=Summary&prodno=1220.0&issue=1997&num=&view=

i work as a research assistant in a lab and claimed biochemist. at the time NSW was also sponsoring chemistry technical officers so i made up a list of items i would like to have my boss's (lab manager and PI) write in the letter to ensure that should NSW not think i was a biochemist, i'd at least be considered the other. turns out the prof running the lab stated explicitly that i am a biochemist and an expert in the methods that i work in, and that the title of research assistant was simply a university classification.

you could attempt to be creative. if you think your most recent job experience sounds similar to one on a list, but otherwise did not have the same title, you could probably provide enough evidence to convince them. check out the australian standard classification of occupations index: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]=Summary&prodno=1220.0&issue=1997&num=&view=

i work as a research assistant in a lab and claimed biochemist. at the time NSW was also sponsoring chemistry technical officers so i made up a list of items i would like to have my boss's (lab manager and PI) write in the letter to ensure that should NSW not think i was a biochemist, i'd at least be considered the other. turns out the prof running the lab stated explicitly that i am a biochemist and an expert in the methods that i work in, and that the title of research assistant was simply a university classification.

I had thought about that. Unforunately my job is on the national list (not the exact title but the job i do is similar that i could of claimed it as such) but it is not any state list =( nor is anything similar that I could claim, so i am sol for now.

Makes me wish sometimes I did a masters and got some lab/research job.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are currently no internship spots for international students graduating from Australian universities. This is something of a grave concern, as it is not made clear in the beginning,and now all international students futures are hanging in limbo, because they have not been awarded a spot anywhere in Australia for 2009, and things are looking to get worse for future years! So keep that in mind when you apply and decide to go quarter million dollars in debt!

There are currently no internship spots for international students graduating from Australian universities. This is something of a grave concern, as it is not made clear in the beginning,and now all international students futures are hanging in limbo, because they have not been awarded a spot anywhere in Australia for 2009, and things are looking to get worse for future years! So keep that in mind when you apply and decide to go quarter million dollars in debt!

Before you make a very rash statement, you need to back up your findings, because I find that REALLY difficult to believe that NO international student that has an MBBS from a Australian university cannot find an internship spot this year.

Before you make a very rash statement, you need to back up your findings, because I find that REALLY difficult to believe that NO international student that has an MBBS from a Australian university cannot find an internship spot this year.

+1

People who come out and say the sky is falling without any sort of evidence are wasting everyone's time. especially when its their 9th post ever and without any established credibility.

btw, i have like zero posts, but I'm here with questions and not any revelations that pursuing a medical degree in australia will leave me with a quarter million dollar debt and no possibility of a job.

+1

People who come out and say the sky is falling without any sort of evidence are wasting everyone's time. especially when its their 9th post ever and without any established credibility.

btw, i have like zero posts, but I'm here with questions and not any revelations that pursuing a medical degree in australia will leave me with a quarter million dollar debt and no possibility of a job.

Facts are: It will become difficult to get an internship spot, but there are alternatives. CURRENTLY though, as in Graduates in 2008 (for internship spots in 2009) should have no problems (just like they haven't in the past few years, and *graduating* class sizes to my knowledge haven't increased exponentially like the 1st year classes, at least not yet, as the tsunami of students won't be graduating for another few years.

that doesn't sound too good for people entering into the schools, but I feel confident about UQ's Ochsner program and USyd's overseas electives. The best we can do is evaluate the options in front of us, make the best choice and let the chips fall where they may. Why stress out on things we can't predict.

Last edited:
Facts are: It will become difficult to get an internship spot, but there are alternatives. CURRENTLY though, as in Graduates in 2008 (for internship spots in 2009) should have no problems (just like they haven't in the past few years, and *graduating* class sizes to my knowledge haven't increased exponentially like the 1st year classes, at least not yet, as the tsunami of students won't be graduating for another few years.

2nd that. Except for the exponential bit (not sure how much growth is implied there, since there's been a lot of growth but it hasn't literally been exponential!)

For example, in Queensland for the last Ballot (this year's is happening right now), all internationals wishing to stay got an internship spot. This will become increasingly difficult, but it's impossible to say when really, since all past predictions (official and, particularly, from scaremongerers over the years here) have been way wrong.

SA will I think be the last state to feel any crunch, and will absorb much of any overflow from other states for at least several years after that (with no prediction as far as I've seen for when or if the country runs out of spots).

So every year int'ls from UQ who plan to stay make one year out-of-state as their backup plan. That hasn't had to happen. Yet. So the first milestone in the tsunami IMO is when they are forced to actually implement that Plan B. Only then does it really make sense to talk about int'ls not getting internship spots.

Last edited:

From memory (it's been a couple of years though) aren't you still in first round spots? Very few places will give international first round spots (though I know of a few that will).

I wouldn't expect them to get their offers until 2nd or 3rd round, which won't be till early to late August.

So apparently I had the whole system mixed up, my bad, you apply for spots in your final year, so those graduating this winter in 2009, and from what I have been told you apply in June/july...so seeing as it is still July, it would make sense that Internationals have not been offered as of yet.

So apparently I had the whole system mixed up, my bad, you apply for spots in your final year, so those graduating this winter in 2009, and from what I have been told you apply in June/july...so seeing as it is still July, it would make sense that Internationals have not been offered as of yet.

You are correct, and MSCDOC seems to have no idea what he's talking about.

I took "for 2009" to mean the interns who started this year. In Queensland, all who wanted to stay were, once again, able to (I think the one quasi-exception was a Canadian who was made an offer by Gold Coast during the phone-athon (sort of like a 2nd round) rush after the Ballot, then he asked if he could do a 1/2 year because he wanted to go back to Canada in June for residency there, and the hospital apparently hung up on him).

As for the current cycle, yes, the Ballot is going on right now. So of course no int'ls have gotten a spot. Yet.

This year, no international students got internships in the first round of allocations in NSW. I'm sure most of them will be accommodated in the second round, but it does mean that the situation will be very delicate in upcoming years. Our dean still says that he's optimistic.

This year, no international students got internships in the first round of allocations in NSW. I'm sure most of them will be accommodated in the second round, but it does mean that the situation will be very delicate in upcoming years. Our dean still says that he's optimistic.

From what I've heard, most places do not offer international students internships in the first round.

There might only be a handful of hospitals in the country that do.

From what I've heard, most places do not offer international students internships in the first round.

IMET said that "most" international students will end up getting internships... meaning that some of them might not. That concerns me a bit.

Yeah, I think that's spot on.

Federal law stipulated that Australians and permanent residents got priority for internship, so "first round" (aka "The Ballot" in Qld) would refer to the initial allocation of those students. Then it would go down the priority levels for the remaining spots until they're all filled. This has been the general process for as long as I remember.

If what was planned is indeed happening this year in NSW, int'l students continue to be down the list at priority 6 out of 8 (correct me if I'm wrong -- in their lingo, I think they call it something like Priority 3.4).

However, NSW will apparently next year be cutting down to a two priority system -- Commonwealth Supported domestic in-staters as priority 1, and then everyone else as priority 2 competing for the remaining spots based on merit. This will put all int'ls on the same playing field as out-of-state Australians and Kiwis, but also with out-of-state int'l students and AMC candidates (foreign docs in the process of getting Australian full registration). Of course this implies that not all int'ls will be getting a job there -- unless of course the NSW int'l students are superior -- and the losers will have to go to a state with extra spots, like SA.

I'm not sure how NSW will be getting away with breaking the rules (maybe the rules were superceded as part of the CoAG (Council of Australian Governments) agreement between the states and the federal govt stipulating each state "guarantee" spots for their own Commonwealth Supported in-staters), but then again, NSW always managed to violate a past agreement among the states to coordinate the timing of each 'round' (thus giving itself an edge by offering spots before other states). For example, it would "unofficially" solicit pretty much anyone wanting to do internship in the northern border town of Tweed Heads, before the other states even held their first rounds.

But even before the CoAG agreement, a number of years ago SA got away with bumping the priority of their int'ls to above that of the AMC candidates who had Permanent Residency. Then Qld did the same in 2007, bumping their int'ls up the list (now they're P4 out of 8, with out-of-state int'ls P5, and AMC candidates dropping to P6) in a slight of hand they justified by some implications of a newly (federally) created visa class which in the end didn't even pertain to doctors.

You have to appreciate the history here of policies being...bent, er...obfuscated in practice, particularly when it comes to states' interests. It's one of the many endearing traits of Australia IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that's spot on.

Federal law stipulated that Australians and permanent residents got priority for internship, so "first round" (aka "The Ballot" in Qld) would refer to the initial allocation of those students. Then it would go down the priority levels for the remaining spots until they're all filled. This has been the general process for as long as I remember.

If what was planned is indeed happening this year in NSW, int'l students continue to be down the list at priority 6 out of 8 (correct me if I'm wrong -- in their lingo, I think they call it something like Priority 3.4).

However, NSW will apparently next year be cutting down to a two priority system -- Commonwealth Supported domestic in-staters as priority 1, and then everyone else as priority 2 competing for the remaining spots based on merit. This will put all int'ls on the same playing field as out-of-state Australians and Kiwis, but also with out-of-state int'l students and AMC candidates (foreign docs in the process of getting Australian full registration). Of course this implies that not all int'ls will be getting a job there -- unless of course the NSW int'l students are superior -- and the losers will have to go to a state with extra spots, like SA.

I'm not sure how NSW will be getting away with breaking the rules (maybe the rules were superceded as part of the CoAG (Council of Australian Governments) agreement between the states and the federal govt stipulating each state "guarantee" spots for their own Commonwealth Supported in-staters), but then again, NSW always managed to violate a past agreement among the states to coordinate the timing of each 'round' (thus giving itself an edge by offering spots before other states). For example, it would "unofficially" solicit pretty much anyone wanting to do internship in the northern border town of Tweed Heads, before the other states even held their first rounds.

But even before the CoAG agreement, a number of years ago SA got away with bumping the priority of their int'ls to above that of the AMC candidates who had Permanent Residency. Then Qld did the same in 2007, bumping their int'ls up the list (now they're P4 out of 8, with out-of-state int'ls P5, and AMC candidates dropping to P6) in a slight of hand they justified by some implications of a newly (federally) created visa class which in the end didn't even pertain to doctors.

You have to appreciate the history here of policies being...bent, er...obfuscated in practice, particularly when it comes to states' interests. It's one of the many endearing traits of Australia IMO.

The NSW thing was voted against. Do you happen to have links showing where internationals stand in terms of internship ranking in certain states?

The NSW thing was voted against.

Which part was voted against? As of last week, they were saying they're going to the 2 priority system for next year:

http://www.imet.health.nsw.gov.au/www/472/1001127/displayarticle/1005500.html

Do you happen to have links showing where internationals stand in terms of internship ranking in certain states?

Try here -- old UQMS page, but the links have been updated:

http://uqms.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=191

I actually wouldn't mind being in a merit-based system, but that's not the big issue at the moment. The primary concern is that there will be essentially ZERO places available for EVERYBODY in the second-priority group. As it stands right now, they don't even have enough places for the first-priority group graduating in 2011.

I actually wouldn't mind being in a merit-based system, but that's not the big issue at the moment. The primary concern is that there will be essentially ZERO places available for EVERYBODY in the second-priority group. As it stands right now, they don't even have enough places for the first-priority group graduating in 2011.

What happens to the people who can't get a place?

What happens to the people who can't get a place?

You go back home.

On the bright side, I spoke with the dean today (he was hosting a "meet the dean" session for all of the 1st-yr students), and he says that he's still optimistic. He's genuinely been working hard to make sure that they take care of us, and he says that all other NSW medical school deans are behind him (along with the federal authorities involved). The CEO of IMET, the group that makes relevant recommendations to the NSW government, is actually a faculty member at USyd, so he's getting pressure from the dean too. They'll be meeting with the health ministers in the next few days, and the students are also holding a media session in the near future.

So - as it stands, it looks like we might be screwed. But, that's probably just because the government is really slow to move on anything. By the time we graduate, they'll probably take care of us.

i think this is probably not accurate since not everyone who qualifies for first priority spots will necessarily be competing for them. some of them may want to go interstate especially if they were from interstate, some may take a year to travel or to go overseas to complete their internship.

Yeah, it won't be "exactly" zero... when I said "essentially" zero, I meant that almost all internationals will be stuck without an internship (if the numbers stay the way they are). Of course, that will probably (hopefully) be sorted out to some extent.

At the moment, they don't even have enough internship spots to accommodate all of the NSW residents who went to school in NSW.

http://www.imet.health.nsw.gov.au/www/472/1001127/displayarticle/1005500.html

According to that even with the 2 priority system, citizens and prs still get priority over internationals.

Oh wait, I see the difference -- it's also full-fee domestics (and former school leavers) in NSW who will get top priority with the CSP students. Everyone else, like out of staters, will be in the same priority with int'ls.

Isn't that still better than having int'ls below ALL Australians and Kiwis?

But this year I realize is different with the transitional phase, with int'ls at 6th priority.

Last edited:
To the pre-medical students please go do some research before you start arguing.

For everyone else read this:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/hospitals-buckle-in-tsunami-of-interns-20090724-dw5z.html

Yes there's a priority listing which hadn't been in effect over the past few years but has been suddenly out of the blue invoked this year which has left ALL international students hanging...
AND the second round gives interstaters first dibs then internationals so there's no guarantee

There never was a guarantee. Do you mean everyone was naively relying on there being no enforcement of a priority system just in NSW? And yet, the ballot isn't over.

What's your real point, that there's a tsunami everyone should know about?? Or that in case they've had their head in the sand for the past 6 years, they should know there's no guarantee int'ls will get internship?

So I was just rejected from Wollongong, which leaves UQ and Deakin.

I'm worried about the class size of UQ, but UQ is currently recognized in more countries than Deakin is.

So my question to anyone in UQ or at UQ, 500 students, that's a big number, i'm concerned for PBL sizes, anatomy teaching which I've been told is quite poor (even browsing through what is the UQMS forums), and I'm very worried about clinical exposure, there seems to be a good number of clinical schools, but how many hospitals are attached, and do they need to compete with Bond and Griffth for spots?

So I was just rejected from Wollongong, which leaves UQ and Deakin.

I'm worried about the class size of UQ, but UQ is currently recognized in more countries than Deakin is.

So my question to anyone in UQ or at UQ, 500 students, that's a big number, i'm concerned for PBL sizes, anatomy teaching which I've been told is quite poor (even browsing through what is the UQMS forums), and I'm very worried about clinical exposure, there seems to be a good number of clinical schools, but how many hospitals are attached, and do they need to compete with Bond and Griffth for spots?

do you mind telling us about your application? mcat, gpa, ec's? did you get rejected post-interview?

UQ is better recognized than Deakin even in Australia.
from my experience aussies dont try to emhasize prestige of uni's nearly as much as americans.

UQ certainly has more name recongnition in aus than deakin. uq med school was established in the early 1900's whilst deakin has only admitted one cohort so far (and thus havent graduated any docs). but when it comes to applying to internships i dont think a UQ grad would get bonus points for having attended a prestigous school. aussies generally think all the schools are good overall, and recognize that each has different strengths and weakness.

however, certain hospitals do prefer grads from certain schools simply because of long standing relationships. for instance, if you go to Monash Gippsland, youre likelihood of getting internship at certain VIC hospitals may be low because those hospitals are much more likely to higher UniMelb grads. then again, certain hospitals would also be more likely to hire Monash grads over UniMelb grads for the same reason. given Monash has now opened a 2nd med school in VIC and Deakin has also opened one, this preferential treatment may fade or shift or who knows what.

For Wollongong, I was shortlisted in May after the interview (which was conducted in april). Then the second round offers were made a few weeks ago to fill the remaining 4 spots and I assume they were all taken, therefore I got a rejection after that.

I have acceptances from Deakin and UQ. I also am awaiting responses from ANU, Flinders and Monash...Flinders and Monash also having a very good reputation around the world.

I'm just worried the large class size means my education will suffer particular in anatomy and clinical rounds (3rd and 4th year), esp when I most likely will not be getting any rural exposure for clinical rotations which I think is sorta important.

Trying to sort through the UQMS forums is very difficult as there seems to be just lots of general trash talking on that forum.

If you're more rurally oriented, then definitely deakin as that's a primary teaching motivator for the school. Plus, even though it's new, it's relatively small and the vibe I got from the dean (who also sits on. The post grad training board for Vic) was very good and he seemed adamant about supporting his inties. Prestige means little in the end. Pick a school whose location, curricula, student body and post grad opportunities appeal to you.

I know I'm biased, but if you get into flinders, seriously consider it. It seems like SA will be one of the last states to be hit with the tsunami. Plus, the reputation of the school is awesome (NOSM in Ontario bought a chunk of their curricula from them) and their CaRMs match rate is exemplary. I'm excited about the school.

Also the GEMP program for monash is brand new. So I wouldn't count on it being accredited in places like Cali. The monash name is there but I'm also not sure if it translates to the gippsland med school.

The thing about UQ, though, it may give me the opportunity to do internships elsewhere, just like Flinders as it is an established medical school. As opposed to Deakin which hasn't made much of a name for it self yet.

The thing about UQ, though, it may give me the opportunity to do internships elsewhere, just like Flinders as it is an established medical school. As opposed to Deakin which hasn't made much of a name for it self yet.

I doubt how established a school us has anything to do with internships. Everyone needs to understand that internships are assigned by the state and have nothing to do with the school.

I doubt how established a school us has anything to do with internships. Everyone needs to understand that internships are assigned by the state and have nothing to do with the school.

elsewhere as in not in Australia. If worse comes to worse.

I have received my offer from UQ with results similar to the average acceptance stat mentioned by some people in this forum (mine: 3.4GPA and 30O-MCAT).

Apart from UQ, I have also applied several Australian medical schools, including Flinders, ANU and USyd. Personally, I prefer these universities to UQ since I think the huge class size of UQ is really a big disadvantage. I was rejected by Flinders with no interview, as they said my result just fell a little below their interview cut-off this year. USyd has invited me for interview and I am still waiting from ANU.

I am struggling if I should accept the offer from UQ and pay the deposit since the offer will lapse after mid September. I am really worried that my results would not be good enough (as Flinders has rejected me for this) to earn a place in ANU or USyd.

Can anyone from ANU/USyd advise the average ANU and USyd admission stat for my reference so that I can judge my chance of success in getting into them? Thanks alot! Besides, would anyone share if you have the same thought as me and would like to reject the UQ offer (I guess a large number of people here should have it) and try to get into another one that you think is better?

I have received my offer from UQ with results similar to the average acceptance stat mentioned by some people in this forum (mine: 3.4GPA and 30O-MCAT).

Apart from UQ, I have also applied several Australian medical schools, including Flinders, ANU and USyd. Personally, I prefer these universities to UQ since I think the huge class size of UQ is really a big disadvantage. I was rejected by Flinders with no interview, as they said my result just fell a little below their interview cut-off this year. USyd has invited me for interview and I am still waiting from ANU.

I am struggling if I should accept the offer from UQ and pay the deposit since the offer will lapse after mid September. I am really worried that my results would not be good enough (as Flinders has rejected me for this) to earn a place in ANU or USyd.

Can anyone from ANU/USyd advise the average ANU and USyd admission stat for my reference so that I can judge my chance of success in getting into them? Thanks alot! Besides, would anyone share if you have the same thought as me and would like to reject the UQ offer (I guess a large number of people here should have it) and try to get into another one that you think is better?

That's very surprising considering there is a person on the paging dr. boards that got an offer of admission with a 3.45 and 31R. You must have JUSt missed the cutoff for Flinders interview. This also must mean that the competition is much tougher than I expected as I must have rocked my interview to have gotten an offer right away; I'm not much better with a 3.6/31P. It may also be that Flinders weights parts of the mcat higher than others as they don't seem to say how they use the MCAT mark to determine your 1/3rd score for it (I had a balanced 10P/10V/11B) Too bad about Flinders but you may have a decent shot at ANU or USyd. Seems like your MCAT should be ok for one of them (from communication with the schools, they said I was very competitive and above the mean for internationals)

Personally, I would reject UQ and go for USyd or ANU and if you don't get in, apply again next year with a re-write of the MCAT. But that may also be because I don't trust UQ. Read through the UQ Average Acceptance thread and you should come to your own decision as to whether you would enjoy it there and whether the pros outweigh the cons.

from my experience aussies dont try to emhasize prestige of uni's nearly as much as americans.

UQ certainly has more name recongnition in aus than deakin. uq med school was established in the early 1900's whilst deakin has only admitted one cohort so far (and thus havent graduated any docs). but when it comes to applying to internships i dont think a UQ grad would get bonus points for having attended a prestigous school. aussies generally think all the schools are good overall, and recognize that each has different strengths and weakness.

however, certain hospitals do prefer grads from certain schools simply because of long standing relationships. for instance, if you go to Monash Gippsland, youre likelihood of getting internship at certain VIC hospitals may be low because those hospitals are much more likely to higher UniMelb grads. then again, certain hospitals would also be more likely to hire Monash grads over UniMelb grads for the same reason. given Monash has now opened a 2nd med school in VIC and Deakin has also opened one, this preferential treatment may fade or shift or who knows what.

It's actually a common practice to list where you graduated from in your title.

ex. Dr. Smith MBBS(melb)

Also the GEMP program for monash is brand new. So I wouldn't count on it being accredited in places like Cali. The monash name is there but I'm also not sure if it translates to the gippsland med school.

it is not completely brand new. it is adapted from the 5 yr undergrad entry curriculum. its one year intense preclinical and 3 years clinical.

monash univ faculty of medicine is on the cali list. the list does not 'list' specific med schools of the faculty. all 3 monash med schools are within the monash faculty of medicine.