UpToDate for ABFM CME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jm192

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve got enough UpToDate Credits to meet the full 150 hours required over the last 3 years.

UpToDate says it’s approved for 20 hours per year for AAFP. It doesn’t explicitly say anything about ABFM.

Has anyone used UpToDate for ALL of their ABFM CME? Has ABFM ever clarified this issue?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

That's considered Division 2 CME, can only use up to 75 hours of the 150 needed.
I always assumed it was Category 1 under G

• G- Other CME activities carrying AMA Category I CME or AAFP prescribed CME credit, such as documented point of care learning, participation in quality improvement projects, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was messing around with their system last night and submitted it.
I'll let you know if they come back and say anything haha.

I was messing around with their system last night and submitted it.
I'll let you know if they come back and say anything haha.

American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)​

The AAFP has reviewed UpToDate and deemed it acceptable for up to 20.00 Point of Care AAFP Prescribed credit. Term of Approval is from 10/31/2022 to 10/30/2023. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.

American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)​

The AAFP has reviewed UpToDate and deemed it acceptable for up to 20.00 Point of Care AAFP Prescribed credit. Term of Approval is from 10/31/2022 to 10/30/2023. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This is correct for AAFP.

ABFM is obviously a separate entity and has no such statement.

I've submitted Uptodate credits to AAFP and IIRC they didn't say anything about the number I could use, but I should probably double check on their website.