UPS workers now making $170,000…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MetroPath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
950B909D-20BF-482C-99D4-A81D2F6A3512.jpeg

And I know some young grads who are being offered close to $200,000 for academic jobs (to do private practice level work). Even worse, limited number of jobs regionally.

Then you wonder why you can’t recruit American grads into our field. Most low to mid tier programs are all foreign grads.

I know some foreign grads who use Pathology to gain entrance into USA for a residency slot then jump ship to internal medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
View attachment 376184

And I know some young grads who are being offered close to $200,000 for academic jobs (to do private practice level work). Even worse, limited number of jobs regionally.

Then you wonder why you can’t recruit American grads into our field. Most low to mid tier programs are all foreign grads.

That $170k includes benefits as well. Not straight cash compensation.

Regardless, 200k for a physician is very low.

Reactions: 1 users
I got offered 200K preCovid for several jobs and so did my friends. Its getting better now due to national shortages but you better be geographically flexible or lucky.

My friend is getting 250 starting (two fellowships-7 years of training) currently in NYC which is sh$t pay considering the cost of living. Please don’t try to sugarcoat a crap salary with added benefits.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You can easily make a lot more money if you just get side hustles going. It's not hard to make millions of dollars per year. Best thing you can do is start your own businesses. Don't limit yourself to medicine. You guys are 1 percenters. Now go out and act like it. Also, go rural.

Reactions: 2 users
You can easily make a lot more money if you just get side hustles going. It's not hard to make millions of dollars per year. Best thing you can do is start your own businesses. Don't limit yourself to medicine. You guys are 1 percenters. Now go out and act like it. Also, go rural.
If you have family, then prepared to get divorced or end up not knowing your kids then. Businesses on the side on top of a full time path job, be ready to work your ass off. Add on the stress of dealing with unhappy customers and employees, you may die early from a heart attack.

I know a guy with two side hustles on top of his path job. The guy is exhausted. Falls asleep at his side hustles. Luckily he has a supportive wife who cares for their kids.

He does very well but he works like a dog.

Last edited:
Going back to what should be a decent salary for a fresh grad... what is a good number? To attain a certain income, is that newly-minted pathologist able to bill that much to cover their salary/overhead? I have limited data on my end when it comes to new hires that are fresh grads, so my data is all anecdotal. I would venture to say that you will seldom find a new grad who is worth >300K/year.

With constant reimbursement cuts, new insurance carriers who offer less than suboptimal fee schedules, looming potential reassignment of certain CPTs, etc... maybe 250K/year will be considered a very good salary in 5 years? :)

When I started, my PC billings were $850+ for a private practice : hospital based +dermpath. I was the top biller, and the lowest paid - by far. Starting salary was less than 250, with "promises" for much more that never materialized. I don't think that billings are a good way to figure out new hire income when the practice is set up based on partner seniority.

Reactions: 3 users
When I started, my PC billings were $850+ for a private practice : hospital based +dermpath. I was the top biller, and the lowest paid - by far. Starting salary was less than 250, with "promises" for much more that never materialized. I don't think that billings are a good way to figure out new hire income when the practice is set up based on partner seniority.
Yup everyone will look to try to nickel and dime you aka exploit you. It’s even worse in a sh*tty job market as was the case years ago. Some people are still in denial of how bad the job market was before Covid for years.

Academics will also do the same thing. After you go through training paid on resident salary, they will ask you to do a low paid “fellowship” year or a low paid instructorship role before they pay you attending salary.

Employers will pay you how much you are “worth” not a penny more and not a penny less. That’s why you see people leaving some academic institutions: They pay you academic salary for private practice level work.

I have two friends who left Quest. From what I hear others are leaving too. One was drained physically. On top of a hundred plus 88305s per day and other tasks in addition to other duties, he wasn’t having it anymore. 100-140s biopsies a day for around Im guessing a 300K salary. You think that’s a reasonable salary? Try doing that every day. He was burned out. Tack on some crazy coworkers. It’ll be enough to get you to leave.

PLEASE DONT TAKE A QUEST JOB UNLESS YOU HAVE NO CHOICE. It truly is a professional sweat shop factory type of job. But even in todays job market you may have to take what you can get to stay in a certain city close to family and friends.

This is one of the uglier sides of Pathology people should know about. The good news is that there are some better paying jobs now farther from large cities but not everyone is willing to move to these “other cities” due to location.

From my experience, there are some good jobs near larger cities, but a lot of it comes down to luck or who you know as the market is competitive and employers can be picky who they choose.

Something else to consider: A majority of path grads are FMGS. Any salary is a good salary compared to what they would’ve made in their own countries. I mean a HUGE life changing difference. So any job in the good ol USA is a dream come true to many still in this day and age.

Last edited:
If you were billing $850K and paid <250K... that is absurd. There is no justification for that, but you did sign the employment agreement that allowed for this to happen. How did you come up with the 850 figure? Was it based on your calculated RVU/CPT? Were you privy to your employers contractual agreements with carriers? Maybe you brought in a lot more than 850K. I certainly hope things have gotten better for you because you sound like a rockstar coming out of residency/fellowship.

Unlike medicine, they have not been boiling the UPS frog for the past few decades.

Reactions: 1 user
Exploitation is what business is all about (good thing America beat those commies). It doesn't matter whether it is another pathologist, your best friend, spouse, whomever, whatever.
Pathologists might suffer on average the most exploitation in medicine, but we don't hold a candle to Kpop slave contracts, etc.
The only escape for a doctor who otherwise has no special skills or talents is to listen to Webb's advice.

Forget rural/tree cutting/tattoo removal. Just get in on the ground floor of the next legal Ponzi scheme a la Bitcoin or Gamestop. Just gotta parachute out before the moon rocket blows up. Or run for Congress and do some insider trading.

I think you are out of date as to what is a 1 percenter. In 2023, you have to make above $400K on average (above $500K as a family) to be considered a one percenter in most states. I don't know too many pathology jobs that would pay that, especially out of the gate.
Going back to what should be a decent salary for a fresh grad... what is a good number? To attain a certain income, is that newly-minted pathologist able to bill that much to cover their salary/overhead? I have limited data on my end when it comes to new hires that are fresh grads, so my data is all anecdotal. I would venture to say that you will seldom find a new grad who is worth >300K/year.

With constant reimbursement cuts, new insurance carriers who offer less than suboptimal fee schedules, looming potential reassignment of certain CPTs, etc... maybe 250K/year will be considered a very good salary in 5 years? :)
I agree with you that a fair number of new graduates are not worth very much. I don't mind hiring new graduates at what they're worth who are well trained and can actually function as attendings with minimal handholding. But as we all know, that's not everyone and lately its more the rule than the exception. Are groups supposed to pay >$250K for a fresh grad who can't handle 30 cases/day and needs constant handholding and supplemental training at the expense of the group to function, loosely speaking? I can see this as a problem that's only going to get worse with time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget rural/tree cutting/tattoo removal. Just get in on the ground floor of the next legal Ponzi scheme a la Bitcoin or Gamestop. Just gotta parachute out before the moon rocket blows up. Or run for Congress and do some insider trading.
Bitcoin and Gamestop are so 2020. AI hype is also getting old. Now mental health is all the rage. Come up with new products. If the market can absorb things like weighted blankets for anxiety treatment, sky is the limit.

I think you are out of date as to what is a 1 percenter. In 2023, you have to make above $400K on average (above $500K as a family) to be considered a one percenter in most states. I don't know too many pathology jobs that would pay that, especially out of the gate.

I agree with you that a fair number of new graduates are not worth very much. I don't mind hiring new graduates at what they're worth who are well trained and can actually function as attendings with minimal handholding. But as we all know, that's not everyone and lately its more the rule than the exception. Are groups supposed to pay >$250K for a fresh grad who can't handle 30 cases/day and needs constant handholding and supplemental training at the expense of the group to function, loosely speaking? I can see this as a problem that's only going to get worse with time.
The content of this post, taken in it’s entirety, would give an absolute STROKE to a new p.p. pathologist from 1988 who did a “Rip Van Winkel” today. I am sure that few remaining in my/this/our field can even have an inkling of the deterioration. Kinda sad. maybe i’ve got dinosaur syndrome

The content of this post, taken in it’s entirety, would give an absolute STROKE to a new p.p. pathologist from 1988 who did a “Rip Van Winkel” today. I am sure that few remaining in my/this/our field can even have an inkling of the deterioration. Kinda sad. maybe i’ve got dinosaur syndrome
It’s multifactorial. The training is definitely worse and going through medical school/residency/fellowship without ever having made an independent decision is pretty common, even at the big places.

The cards are also stacked against physicians from the get go. Coming out of training with 700k of debt to a hellscape dominated by quest/labcorp is the new normal.

until the payor situation changes it seems trainees will have zero true independence.
it wasn’t a problem in the military, at least back in the 70’s & 80’s.

It’s multifactorial. The training is definitely worse and going through medical school/residency/fellowship without ever having made an independent decision is pretty common, even at the big places.

The cards are also stacked against physicians from the get go. Coming out of training with 700k of debt to a hellscape dominated by quest/labcorp is the new normal.
Path residents are mostly foreign grads and the quality is subpar too according to a friend in academia. When I mean subpar, I mean people who have no passion for pathology.

If you are unhappy with your situation, now is the time to be moving on. This is the best job market in decades. It won't last forever however and the forum will revert back to "flee pathology now" and stories about 750 dollar a day locum jobs. I can't figure out for the life of me why some of you are staying in situations where you believe you are being exploited. Life too short. Move on. Quit staying with your abuser.

While I agree minimal independence is a problem in modern training programs, in defense of recent grads the complexity of AP has almost certainly increased significantly as well. It's an exaggeration, but I'm imagining 70s/80s pathologists giving diagnoses of benign vs. adenocarcinoma/squamous cell/oat cell. Bam, 30 seconds, next case. Now, regardless of confidence level, you're ordering defensive IHC to rule out rare variants that look similar, doing full synoptics, trying to remember what reflex studies like MMR, Her2, ALK are done on which organs and whether it's done on the biopsy or resection, etc. It's the pathology equivalent of all the charting "paper"work done by other specialties.

On the flip side, I'm sure those same 70s/80s pathologists were way more involved on the CP side of things, while today it's primarily handled by even non-PhD lab managers.

Path residents are mostly foreign grads and the quality is subpar too according to a friend in academia. When I mean subpar, I mean people who have no passion for pathology.
'Passion' is way overrated. If you follow 'passion', you are more likely end up poor. I'm passionate about playing D&D and sipping mai tais, but nobody wants to pay me to do that.

In all seriousness, pathology job market sucks not because pathology sucks, BUT BECAUSE PATHOLOGY IS GREAT. The work is chill and relatively low stress, but the tradeoffs are severe: much lower pay, less autonomy and lower job stability (especially for new trainees) than most other specialties.

Solution: follow Web's advice. Be very very creative in developing multiple streams of income, outside of pathology, and outside of medicine if you see opportunities. You WILL have to hustle way more than other specialties. If you just stick to your 9-5 pathology job, you WILL be taken advantage of by large labs, corporations, clinicians, MBAs, clients, and the government. If you are nimble and adaptable, you will prosper.

Hustle a bit more in USA when you are younger, shop around a bit and try to snag some $ in this hot job market.
When you get older you could immigrate to Canada, where you get paid 400K for 15 cases a day.

• Haha
'Passion' is way overrated. If you follow 'passion', you are more likely end up poor. I'm passionate about playing D&D and sipping mai tais, but nobody wants to pay me to do that.

In all seriousness, pathology job market sucks not because pathology sucks, BUT BECAUSE PATHOLOGY IS GREAT. The work is chill and relatively low stress, but the tradeoffs are severe: much lower pay, less autonomy and lower job stability (especially for new trainees) than most other specialties.

Solution: follow Web's advice. Be very very creative in developing multiple streams of income, outside of pathology, and outside of medicine if you see opportunities. You WILL have to hustle way more than other specialties. If you just stick to your 9-5 pathology job, you WILL be taken advantage of by large labs, corporations, clinicians, MBAs, clients, and the government. If you are nimble and adaptable, you will prosper.
I agree with developing multiple streams of income.

When I say no passion for pathology I mean there are people who match into pathology who have no passion for it and thus half ass pathology which degrades the field. It’s unfortunate. It’s like if you are a patient would you want a surgeon who isn’t passionate about cutting and half assed his way through residency. I wouldn’t.

Hustle a bit more in USA when you are younger, shop around a bit and try to snag some $ in this hot job market.
When you get older you could immigrate to Canada, where you get paid 400K for 15 cases a day.
But aren’t taxes like 50%?

Agree this is the time to get a job in path. It wont last forever. Situate yourself into a nice practice where you enjoy the people you work with. Hopefully you won’t have to switch jobs like most pathologists before they find their final job.

I’ve been noticing some good jobs have remained unfilled for a while now? Anyone else been noticing?

Last edited:

If you are thinking about multiple streams of revenue then why even bother with pathology? It'd be better and easier just to live with less stress and more free time instead of chasing the dollar.

This field is a joke, and a poor one at that. But I don't worry too much because mass consolidation and continued degradation of pathology working conditions is as they say "just as the doctor ordered."

If you are thinking about multiple streams of revenue then why even bother with pathology? It'd be better and easier just to live with less stress and more free time instead of chasing the dollar.

This field is a joke, and a poor one at that. But I don't worry too much because mass consolidation and continued degradation of pathology working conditions is as they say "just as the doctor ordered."
Yes, you are correct in everything you say. There are many many easier ways to get rich outside of pathology, and even outside of medicine. But yet, here we are.

• Haha
Yes, you are correct in everything you say. There are many many easier ways to get rich outside of pathology, and even outside of medicine. But yet, here we are.
To get rich outside pathology you got to start businesses like Webb says. Everyone wealthy I know or have met are business owners (1mil a year or up to 100 M net worth) but most people who are pathologists (at least the ones that I’ve met) don’t fall under that LADoc “entrepreneurial” hustler category.

Most pathologists I’ve met are beta types that want to go home at 3 or 4 pm that have little interpersonal skills. They end up being submissive professional servants to large corporate entities who milk them for whatever they can.

However, I know people in pathology doing very well and most of them post here lol so it’s not as bad as pathres says.

Whatever you do don’t work for employers that try to milk you as much as they can. I mean jobs where you are generating 800-900k a year and get paid sh$t but with the job market in previous years I understand how that could happen.

Get a job where as much of your hard earned money goes into your pocket (profit sharing in groups).

You’re always going to be making money for someone but make sure as much of that goes into your pocket at the end of the day.

In other words, don’t work for Quest/Ameripath or any other large corporate entity who has you working your ass off (100-150 88305s a day) for your typical average path salary.

Use the money you’ve made in Pathology and buy properties and rent them on Airbnb. Passive income folks. Put everything else you’ve saved into Nvidia stock lol. Do what you can before this field reverts back into a sh&t show like PreCovid.

Last edited:
"In other words, don’t work for Quest/Ameripath or any other large corporate entity who has you working your ass off (100-150 88305s a day) for your typical average path salary".

This is NOT working your ass off.

"In other words, don’t work for Quest/Ameripath or any other large corporate entity who has you working your ass off (100-150 88305s a day) for your typical average path salary".

Sorry 100-140 88305s in addition to other job demands.

It is for your typical slave path salary.

There were other demands such as coverage of other facilities as well in his case. He was physically and emotionally drained (those were his exact words). Luckily he found an easier job in terms of workload with higher pay in a hospital.
Thats my point. At the big labs there are generally no other demands

It is for your typical slave path salary.
Agree. Generating 800-900K in revenue and getting paid 250-350K. Better to start you own lab or work in an in office lab (that’s my point) so that money gets put into your pocket versus Quest. Most pathologists aren’t entrepreneurial types unfortunately.

Agree. Generating 800-900K in revenue and getting paid 250-350K. Better to start you own lab or work in an in office lab (that’s my point) so that money gets put into your pocket versus Quest. Most pathologists aren’t entrepreneurial types unfortunately.
Are you talking global billing or just the professional component?

Every time I see the suggestion of starting your own practice/business I always wonder if this is a serious suggestion. How exactly do you get funding or the loans to start? How do you convince hospitals or other groups to even use your business?

I would be curious to see data of consolidation/closure compared to novel business/practice.

There were other demands such as coverage of other facilities as well in his case. He was physically and emotionally drained (those were his exact words). Luckily he found an easier job in terms of workload with higher pay in a hospital.
As a point of clarification, there are many pathologists employed by Quest who work EXCLUSIVELY in hospital practice. Depending on how busy the path is with hospital generated cases, they may sign out cases from Quest’s outpatient business. In my case, I was solo at a ~185 bed community hospital. Due to the modest and generally straightforward nature of the work a shop like that generates, I did a significant number of Quest account’s out patient GI cases and a small amount of non GI surgical center stuff. My scenario was how the vast majority of surgical pathology cases in Florida were (?are now?) handled by Quest.
Those who were not plugged into hospitals did pretty much a 9-5 day of signing out outpatient “whatever” in a large central histopath facility that would typically be called a “slide mill”.
I do not know if Quest’s hospital based “footprint “ has grown or shrunk in the 10 years since i retired. But the bulk of the hospital footprint existed due to acquisitions of P.P. groups by Ameripath and, subsequently, Quest.

As a point of clarification, there are many pathologists employed by Quest who work EXCLUSIVELY in hospital practice. Depending on how busy the path is with hospital generated cases, they may sign out cases from Quest’s outpatient business. In my case, I was solo at a ~185 bed community hospital. Due to the modest and generally straightforward nature of the work a shop like that generates, I did a significant number of Quest account’s out patient GI cases and a small amount of non GI surgical center stuff. My scenario was how the vast majority of surgical pathology cases in Florida were (?are now?) handled by Quest.
Those who were not plugged into hospitals did pretty much a 9-5 day of signing out outpatient “whatever” in a large central histopath facility that would typically be called a “slide mill”.
I do not know if Quest’s hospital based “footprint “ has grown or shrunk in the 10 years since i retired. But the bulk of the hospital footprint existed due to acquisitions of P.P. groups by Ameripath and, subsequently, Quest.
I think Quest is still performing M&As, but they aren't paying what they used to probably. If the group they are looking at is hospital-based, they won't give you much value. Quest is actually in danger of losing whatever contracts they had with certain HCA hospitals now that FPS is taking over from within. For that reason alone, trying to part ways with a hospital contract and all the good will you've created won't mean a whole lot to anyone. 1-1.5X EBITA? Now, if you had an outpatient lab with a decent local market share... totally different story.

I saw an ad for HCA in Florida with workload of 4K surgical + 1k cyto + CP. Is that even sustainable? Is that normal workload in USA?

unnamed1.png

Your thoughts on this job?

View attachment 376520
Your thoughts on this job?
Groups seem to be having issues hiring pathologists. I’ve seen jobs open for a year. Either there is actually a shortage of pathologists or there are a lot of crap pathologists out there looking for jobs.

Groups are posting salaries now. Before you couldn’t even get groups to advertise because there were no jobs.

Looks pretty nice to me, especially if you have student loans. If I was interviewing, I'd try to suss out the deal with salary floor and what happens afterward. Does the pay go up, or is that an incentive and salary would actually go down as billing doesn't support it? The main problem is living in rural Ohio, which is a huge negative for a lot of people. Could be worth it for a single person or young family to pay off loans, build up a nest egg, and earn some experience for 2-4 years and then peace out for better pastures.

Looks pretty nice to me, especially if you have student loans. If I was interviewing, I'd try to suss out the deal with salary floor and what happens afterward. Does the pay go up, or is that an incentive and salary would actually go down as billing doesn't support it? The main problem is living in rural Ohio, which is a huge negative for a lot of people. Could be worth it for a single person or young family to pay off loans, build up a nest egg, and earn some experience for 2-4 years and then peace out for better pastures.
Foreign grads, which make up a majority of grads, have no problem taking jobs in rural America. Do you know other countries pay docs like 4-8000$ A YEAR as a doctor?

Foreign grads, which make up a majority of grads, have no problem taking jobs in rural America. Do you know other countries pay docs like 4-8000$ A YEAR as a doctor?
Note the fall and country-themed decour of this ad. I guess this is the definition of 'go rural'.

• Haha

I guess this place won't have any problems finding candidates then.

Note the fall and country-themed decour of this ad. I guess this is the definition of 'go rural'.
Most decorative job ad Ive ever seen in Pathology lol.

Volume and grossing. And would you be the second or third pathologist. 266 is a lot of beds for 2 pathologists, particularly without a PA

Volume and grossing. And would you be the second or third pathologist. 266 is a lot of beds for 2 pathologists, particularly without a PA
Cost savings of paying a PA goes to you the pathologist!

Paying a PA to gross is far cheaper than paying a pathologist to gross.