upenn or uthscsa postdoctoral ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queenjessy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone Merry Christmas I need help I am international student I passed part 1 nbde I like to get postdoctoral program in perio specially the program at upenn they have 2 programs perio 3 years and perio/pros 4 years are those programs accredited by ADA? And is it competitive for some one like me just passed the nbde one of my friends told me the uthscsa is better and another guy told me Indiana please can some one clarify this for me and if you would please what is perio/pros? why it is 4 years? I know perio is between 2 and three years and there is just 19 programs in perio am i right?

Members don't see this ad.

Indiana does not participate in pass they just have master degrees I am not sure about uthscsa I think they used to have perio/pros but not any more Washington university same way upenn has one but honest to god I don't know the details good luck.[

Hello everyone Merry Christmas I need help I am international student I passed part 1 nbde I like to get postdoctoral program in perio specially the program at upenn they have 2 programs perio 3 years and perio/pros 4 years are those programs accredited by ADA? And is it competitive for some one like me just passed the nbde one of my friends told me the uthscsa is better and another guy told me Indiana please can some one clarify this for me and if you would please what is perio/pros? why it is 4 years? I know perio is between 2 and three years and there is just 19 programs in perio am i right?

To the best of my knowledge Uthscsa and Upenn claiming better perio program than the other, you know north and south type thing, but for sure they are both prestigious programs as far as perio/pros meaning this is a good paper

http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/aljohany/Interested Articles/Perio-prosth article.pdf

As far as the 4 years residency I think periodontists got sick of putting the implant and someone else “SCREW” the prostheses for them so they want to put their own prostheses.

Members don't see this ad :)
the prosth part is a little more in depth than just being able to restore implants that youve placed. the perio-prosth residents seem to have an extensive education in both perio and prosth. they do a decent number of full mouth reconstruction and us dental students hand them over most of our cases that involve more than 6 units per arch. it is restoring teeth, not just implants, although implants seem to be integral in most of these cases. i dont know anything about the other programs but one nice thing about upenn is that the perio clinic is brand new, and one of the bad things is that the program is really expensive. im not sure how it ranks with the other schools in terms of price, but 4 years of over what im guessing is probably at least $85k a year adds up.

the prosth part is a little more in depth than just being able to restore implants that youve placed. the perio-prosth residents seem to have an extensive education in both perio and prosth. they do a decent number of full mouth reconstruction and us dental students hand them over most of our cases that involve more than 6 units per arch. it is restoring teeth, not just implants, although implants seem to be integral in most of these cases. i dont know anything about the other programs but one nice thing about upenn is that the perio clinic is brand new, and one of the bad things is that the program is really expensive. im not sure how it ranks with the other schools in terms of price, but 4 years of over what im guessing is probably at least $85k a year adds up.

Thank you so much PickMe and all of you guys but if you would please PickMe what do you mean by it is expensive program does that mean I can not get governmental loan or it will be a great debt later on ? And by the way is there is any lenders would give you 85+ grand annually? Thank you so much for your input.

im not sure how it works with international students. from what ive heard, it is difficult for international students to get loans in the US. i'm pretty sure they cant get US government loans. again, im not very familiar with loans for international students, but if you were a US resident then you would be able to get a combination of government and private loans to cover the tuition. i think there may be a forum for international students where you can read up on the loan situation.

To the best of my knowledge Uthscsa and Upenn claiming better perio program than the other, you know north and south type thing, but for sure they are both prestigious programs as far as perio/pros meaning this is a good paper

http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/aljohany/Interested Articles/Perio-prosth article.pdf

As far as the 4 years residency I think periodontists got sick of putting the implant and someone else “SCREW” the prostheses for them so they want to put their own prostheses.

Same thing. Several smart or aggressive prosth programs have begun to include implants insertion into the prosth program, such as Rochester University, which means prosthodontists have been tired of just restoring implants, and why not surgically insert them as well.
Concerning about the tuition, there are definitely some inexpensive programs asking for under 20k peryear. You might check them out.