UPenn MD/PhD student talks about his college "failures" - strangely inspiring video

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You don't have to explain these things to me
You were the one who asked for help in the first place, so if you know everything, then maybe you should have linked something instead
Lol.

You posted the wrong document, insulted me, then told me I don't need to explain how the literal source of your argument was completely unrelated to amcas.

"Maybe you should have linked something"
Yes... I did. The actual AMCAS applicant guide. Which, as I pointed out, says nothing similar to what you suggested.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol.

You posted the wrong document, insulted me, then told me I don't need to explain how the literal source of your argument was completely unrelated to amcas.

"Maybe you should have linked something"
Yes... I did. The actual AMCAS applicant guide. Which, as I pointed out, says nothing similar to what you suggested.
Again, YOU were the one who said that you didn't understand
sadwinter said:
I actually forgot about that detail. This waiver has even less power than I thought. I vaguely remember reading that AMCAS doesn't even inform adcoms as to whether the waiver was signed or not (of course, you're committee can do as they please). Can any adcoms verify if this is true or not?
I am not an ADCOM member, but you were the one who said that you were confused about the process. So in the future, maybe you shouldn't ask questions that you can look up for yourself
I'm through arguing about this with you
And I am a SHE btw, so don't call me "bro;" that's rude

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Again, YOU were the one who said that you didn't understand

I am not an ADCOM member, but you were the one who said you were confused about the process. So in the future, maybe you shouldn't ask questions that you can look up for yourself
I'm through arguing about this with you
And I am a SHE btw
I asked if anyone can help me because there may be another document I am unaware of (but still related to AMCAS) that contradicts me. I didnt appeal to you specifically. In fact, I specially asked for adcoms, and you are not one so...

Also why did you randomly tell me "I am a SHE btw". Did I ever say otherwise???

I asked if anyone can help me because there may be another document I am unaware of (but still related to AMCAS) that contradicts me. I didnt appeal to you specifically. In fact, I specially asked for adcoms, and you are not one so...

Also why did you randomly tell me "I am a SHE btw". Where did I call you a he???

This is actually so funny oh my god
Why not tag Goro, LizzyM, gonnif? I'm sure that they would be glad to help someone with an attitude like yours

• Haha
bruh this comment relies on stereotypes so much lol
especially the "even keeled and understanding" like just why lol
Flattering joke. Nothing more!!

Hypothetical: A handful of notable medical schools (e.g. Harvard, Hopkins) require a letter from a non-science professor. Imagine you're a nontrad who's been out of school for 3 years and that you majored in a STEM subject. You legitimately fear that your non-science professors won't remember you even in courses that you aced, participated actively in and enjoyed. Here's a situation where you might want to see what different non-science professors actually remember about you before you send a non-science letter to a medical school.
Wanting to see a letter before using it is totally legit. Just don't sign the waiver. You have a legal right to see the letters. Don't give it up, and just tell all of the notable schools that you are a non-trad and you need to see your letters. :cool:

Why not tag Goro, LizzyM, gonnif? I'm sure that they would be glad to help someone with an attitude like yours
You literaly insulted me when all I did was inform you that you posted the wrong document. I have absolutely no idea why you interpreted that as a personal attack.

You literaly insulted me when all I did was inform you that you posted the wrong document. I have absolutely no idea why you interpreted that as a personal attack.
Yo girlie nevermind

Your application cycle has clearly been very successful, so I'm glad you did what asked best for you. However, our committee strongly recommends a clinical volunteering or clinical work related LoR, and all my friends and myself have 1 letter related to that. Just curious, if you got 6 letters, one from a physician, 4 professors, one from a PI, what would your sixth be? (in our school committee letter is seperate and doesn't count, idk about yours)
I asked for 3 professor letters and a PI letter in January and forgot about it; all 3 were profs I took classes with that year and last year, I asked right after classes ended for that semester. My commitee letter required an interview and 6 essays. Not sure if it was separate or what, but I count a total of 5. I was going to ask for a physician one, but multiple people told me it was worthless. I only had one PI/lab, so yeah for schools that required all of PIs I only had 1.
Lol, it's easy for someone who's having a good cycle to say "whatever" to every minutiae that they previously were so obsessed over before they got accepted.
I could care less about minutae. I actually applied with many things SDNers including yourself would probably wince at.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked for 3 professor letters and a PI letter in January and forgot about it; all 3 were profs I took classes with that year and last year, I asked right after classes ended for that semester. My commitee letter required an interview and 6 essays. Not sure if it was separate or what, but I count a total of 5. I was going to ask for a physician one, but multiple people told me it was worthless. I only had one PI/lab, so yeah for schools that required all of PIs I only had 1.

I could care less about minutae. I actually applied with many things SDNers including yourself would probably wince at. I'm having a successful cycle because I'm direct and authentic and took some risks with my profile presentation and essays and have a good x-factor. Not because I cared about minutae.
<<took some risks with my profile presentation and essays and have a good x-factor>>

Care to elaborate for the benefit of those of us who've yet to go through this process?

<<took some risks with my profile presentation and essays and have a good x-factor>>

Care to elaborate for the benefit of those of us who've yet to go through this process?
You can dm me if you want to talk about that. Take it all with a grain of salt though because I am probably considered urm. Not sure though.

You can dm me if you want to talk about that. Take it all with a grain of salt though because I am probably considered urm. Not sure though.
Wouldn't that be a good URM factor?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a hispanic/latino from non-Mexican/Puerto Rican descent. I can faithfully check the box (have citizenship, have checked that box since middle school) but everyone on this site said I wouldn't be URiM by medical schools. But, my stats contextualized with schools I have gotten II's and A's at do not make sense unless I was considered URM, or unless my application was so stellar that it didn't matter (definitely not the case lol).
URM gives a huge leg up.

• Dislike
My application was still far better than most admittees, to be fair, aside from a relatively 'low' MCAT score for some schools...515-20
Love how confident you are about your application. I didn’t think mine was that amazing even though I probably had more success than you with a far less favorable ethnicity. I guess all those schools didn’t spot your lack of humility.

Just curious, what do u think will happen with URM admissions if the upcoming Supreme Court cases reverses racial consideration in admissions?
Prob off topic and a terrible sequence of discussion (especially on here) if you'd ask me...best to leave that to..the supreme court

Reactions: 1 users
Love how confident you are about your application. I didn’t think mine was that amazing even though I probably had more success than you with a far less favorable ethnicity. I guess all those schools didn’t spot your lack of humility.
I mean I'm sure it simply was not, and my confidence is founded on results and what interviewers have told me :) ...if schools don't screen my MCAT score I would have doubt my ethnicity would have mattered in the long run. URM status just moved me up in the pile. If anything my application is based on the luck I had with my lab and PI. But we can agree to disagree. Don't really understand why you are taking it personally but lol w.e

Prob off topic and a terrible sequence of discussion (especially on here) if you'd ask me...best to leave that to..the supreme court
Sorry, my goal isn't really to argue about the fairness of it or anything. Totally understand that angle always descends into a ****show on here. @srirachamayonnaise just seems to have pretty good insight into admissions practices, so my only goal was to see how med schools may react if the Supreme Court were to ban race conscious admissions. Absolutely not trying to talk about whether that is "good" or "fair" or any of that.

I mean I'm sure it simply was not, and my confidence is founded on results and what interviewers have told me :) ...if schools don't screen my MCAT score I would have doubt my ethnicity would have mattered in the long run. URM status just moved me up in the pile. If anything my application is based on the luck I had with my lab and PI. But we can agree to disagree. Don't really understand why you are taking it personally but lol w.e
It’s quite some ego to say you think your app is FAR better than other admittees. I don’t take it personally at all because I don’t know you. But I just found your statement frankly quite disgusting. In other words, you think you are MORE deserving than your future classmates. Oh boy.

Sorry, my goal isn't really to argue about the fairness of it or anything. Totally understand that angle always descends into a ****show on here. @srirachamayonnaise just seems to have pretty good insight into admissions practices, so my only goal was to see how med schools may react if the Supreme Court were to ban race conscious admissions. Absolutely not trying to talk about whether that is "good" or "fair" or any of that.
Not sure about the impact. But SES can be used instead.

• Dislike
It’s quite some ego to say you think your app is FAR better than other admittees. I don’t take it personally at all because I don’t know you. But I just found your statement frankly quite disgusting.
You simply did take it personally, you even brought yourself up to explicitly say you "probably did better than me" despite not being URM, like what?

Also what's the point in twisting my objective statement into something malicious? I don't mean to demean others, I was just contextualizing my OWN application. Considering the very public averages, stat-wise, and general realm of evaluation in regards to ECs, my application is objectively above average; it was context to the URM post.

Reactions: 3 users
You simply did take it personally, you even brought yourself up to explicitly say you "probably did better than me" despite not being URM, like what?

Also what's the point in twisting my objective statement into something malicious? I don't mean to demean others, I was just contextualizing my OWN application. Considering the very public averages, stat-wise, and general realm of evaluation in regards to ECs, my application is objectively above average; it was context to the URM post.
Like being a minority in this country just like you but not being treated fairly for over a century in this country. How do you like that? You can say you have a good app but far better than other admittees… I have no idea where you get that idea.

What you are doing is flaunting your below average MCAT to show how amazing you are due to your innate characters. It’s just hard to stomach when a lot of others, equally disadvantaged as you, yet have to achieve a much higher threshold to get what you get. So cool down, would you? Count your blessing and be humble about it.

• Dislike
Like being a minority in this country just like you but not being treated fairly for over a century in this country. How do you like that? You can say you have a good app but far better than other admittees… I have no idea where you get that idea.
Lmao you are really something buddy I'll give you that

• Inappropriate
This thread really turned into so many things it was never meant to be haha. Imma go back to school-specific threads now...

Bruh why would you comment that right after the warning lol

Technically my comment was separate of their conversation, which what he was referring to. Worth a shot imo.

• Haha
  • Love
Trying to get this thread out of dumpster fire mode and back on track.
I mean, do you really believe less than 1% of letters could have a negative effect on an applicant.
Negative LORs are RARE. I see one maybe once a year. Most LORs are pretty much the same, and so they all gel after awhile. Perhaps 5% are true letters of evaluation and make a great case for accepting someone.
I mean everyone's point of view on this may be slightly different. From my point of view, if you are doing me a favor by writing me a letter, I'd like to see the favor. What's awkward about that? when you move around for a new job as a physician, you normally need a reference letter from your current employer and almost always your current employer will hand you the letter unsealed. What's so secret about what you are writing about someone that you are so afraid to share that info with that person?? Other than a power trip... If you are generous enough to write me a letter, why can't you be generous to share what you think about me with me? there shouldn't be any trust issue here.
Asking to see the LOR prevents the writer from being honest. OR, it puts the writer in a bad position to say "no", because then it telegraphs that the letter might not be 100% supportive. If one of my students asked to see a LOR, or failed to waive the write to see the letter, I'd tell them it might be best to ask someone else.
I have never been asked for a letter from someone for whom I could not write a convincingly strong letter.
I have. My responses vary. If I feel I don't truly know the person (and some students can be ciphers even if I did know them!), I'd decline.

But some students don't belong in med school, and I have no problems being honest and pointing out their deficiencies.

There are times I may damn by faint praise. Usually these go something like "Student will succeed with lots of interventions and support"

Reactions: 4 users

Negative LORs are RARE. I see one maybe once a year. Most LORs are pretty much the same, and so they all gel after awhile. Perhaps 5% are true letters of evaluation and make a great case for accepting someone.

Asking to see the LOR prevents the writer from being honest. OR, it puts the writer in a bad position to say "no", because then it telegraphs that the letter might not be 100% supportive. If one of my students asked to see a LOR, or failed to waive the write to see the letter, I'd tell them it might be best to ask someone else.

I have. My responses vary. If I feel I don't truly know the person (and some students can be ciphers even if I did know them!), I'd decline.

But some students don't belong in med school, and I have no problems being honest and pointing out their deficiencies.

There are times I may damn by faint praise. Usually these go something like "Student will succeed with lots of interventions and support"

Presumably, you're referring to LORs for residency programs that you write - not letters for applicants to medical school?

Are you saying you write negative LoRs for them, or you tell them I can't write you an LoR because...

Oh, I've never had to write a bad LOR for one of my med students! I should have clarified that I was talking about LORs for med school.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware you taught undergrads too.