upenn interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey sam congrats!!! upenn is a great school.
party on....:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

hey Sam3!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

kpat

Congragulations sam on ur acceptance.
Answering ur question:
There are some risks involved in retaking part1 after clearing part2.Once u r done with part2 u get ndb accreditation,so if u wanna improve scores in part1 and u end up flunking instead then even ur part2 will not be valid anymore.
I know this for a fact ,coz i have a friend who scored in early eighties in part1 on her first attempt,she subsequently took part2 and got a score in the late eighties.She then decided to retake part1 to improve her scores,and in the end she ended up with a 90 somethin score.
So go ahead if u want to improve ur scores.
Wishing u all the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
i do remember a guy who was very pessimistic about upenn,wasnt even sure to attend the interview and also discouraged anyone who wanted to go for the interview.....hmm...dont remember his name ,but i am sure sam remembers;)

:clap: congrats sam:clap:

Great news ,sam3.CONGRATS:clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by kpat
Hi sam3,

just one suggestion......seems like you did fine in the interview, but stop being so pessimistic. Remember, that is another thing they look for! They want confident people and once you have an interview call, you still do stand a pretty good chance of getting in. Stop thinking they are typing youre rejection letter, instead you need to give them an attitude saying "you better send me an acceprtance letter!" ......atleast from personal experience that is what I know about Penn.

Origionally posted by Kpat :

Hi sam3,
only thing I can tell you is 85 is NOT a bad score at all. But, getting admission gets more competitive because of so many people getting higher scores.....

PENN is very particular about getting people from all over the world....if they go by scores they will have all students from the same part of the world.....(we have gone through this on sdn already!) and I mean no offense to anyone by making this statement..........

So, bottomline, I would not literally take what ever they say during the interview....They would/should not bring you in if they knew they were not gonna accept you. I know (as I worked in the international office) for sure that they have rejected people with scores in mid 90s.......so, go figure!

Good luck with your admission.

kpat
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Kpat :

YOU WON:clap: .I admit it here infront of ALL SDN members that YOU WERE RIGHT IN ALL WHAT YOU SAID ABOVE ,AND I WAS WRONG.Can everyone on SDN hear me?????? I......... was.......... wroooooooooooooooong..........

Kpat : Thanks a million for what you wrote above.Honestly,when you wrote me those advices ...........I read them after comming back from the interview and inside my heart I said:

I can not believe her .She is just telling me some comforting words . It was allways that small devile in my mind that was keeping me sooooooooo pessimistic.It turned out today today that they were NOT typing my rejection letter,it was the contrast .

What really made me think that a 100% I will be rejected is what Dr.Peter the program director told me about retaking part-1 . It turned out today that one more time :YOU WERE RIGHT & I WAS WRONG.I should not have taken his words literally.Till this moment I swear to all the Holy GODS in the world that am still in a state of a shock:wow: ,coz when he adviced me to retake part-1..................I said in my heart...........: Thats it ,He is kicking me out.

One more time Dr.Kpat : Thank you very much,I wish if I had belived what you said from the bigining.

hi sam,
BIG CONGTRAZ:clap: :clap: :clap:
TIME TO PARTY!
wish u all the best at upenn:thumbup:
pearlindia.:)

FATABARAK YA AKH
KASABTA MA TORID
CONGRATULATION:clap:

Originally posted by divya
Congragulations sam on ur acceptance.
Answering ur question:
There are some risks involved in retaking part1 after clearing part2.Once u r done with part2 u get ndb accreditation,so if u wanna improve scores in part1 and u end up flunking instead then even ur part2 will not be valid anymore.
I know this for a fact ,coz i have a friend who scored in early eighties in part1 on her first attempt,she subsequently took part2 and got a score in the late eighties.She then decided to retake part1 to improve her scores,and in the end she ended up with a 90 somethin score.
So go ahead if u want to improve ur scores.
Wishing u all the best.

Hi Divya :Thanks for the info. Hope others will make benifit of it.

Am really glad with my acceptance at UPENN today.I am also happier for getting rid of on of the nightmares :scared: that kept comming back to me every several days (about retaking part-1) starting from the 14 th /july/2003.

Now that I could make it to an AS program ,I do not have to think about retaking part-1 anymore:scared: .

Originally posted by green emerald
i do remember a guy who was very pessimistic about upenn,wasnt even sure to attend the interview and also discouraged anyone who wanted to go for the interview.....hmm...dont remember his name ,but i am sure sam remembers;)

:clap: congrats sam:clap:

Hi green emerald ::laugh: everything you wrote is true EXCEPT that I did not intend to discourage anyone .If I had that intention,I would not have written about my UPENN interview in details like that.I mentiond everything I could & I wrote all the questions I was asked ,just to let the others make good use of it.

You are true that I wrote pessimistic posts about UPENN interview,but I swear that I was describing my true feelings & true thoughts without any bad intention.As I wrote to Kpat above..........I admit it.I WAS WRONG in all my thoughts.

Green emerald : come onnnnnnnnnnn,am not that bad guy

:( .Am an innocent chubby boy.I drink my milk every day,do my homeworks,brush my teeth befor I sleep & kiss mommy goodnight .If you want me to prove it more to you,let me send you my photo...........I bet you are gonna give me a candy.

Originally posted by DVK
FATABARAK YA AKH
KASABTA MA TORID
CONGRATULATION:clap:

Shokran Jazelan yaaaaaaaaaa aboooooooo el shabab.

ONLY ON PAY PER VIEW SDN CHANNELS:smuggrin: :

Ok ,ill write here about why I felt soooooooooo pessimistic befor my UPENN interview:

First ill say my scores: Part-1=85, TOEFL = 257, GPA :Only 2.8

1)-NON of my colleagues(arrownd 13 persons who either finished their AS programs, or will graduat this year) could make it to UPENN.Some of them had better scores than mine in all the three scores.

2)-when I consulted them while appliying, these were some of their responds:

-Forget about UPENN.
-It is very hard 2 get their.
-we were all rejected over there,save your mony for other applications. ...............etc.

3)-The dark and sombre previous posts that I read on SDN about UPENN while preparing for my interview.

4)- I wrote it befor in an old post that I appliyed to 6 six Canadiad dental schools(4 year D.D.S programs) and I was rejected by all of them.

5)-I knew that there were 650 applicants for this year and they are gonna only choose 24 to 30 maximum for this year,so you do the calculations and especially that I do not have very competitive scores.

6)-I travelled to philli by bus,while crossing the American check point .I showed the officer my interview letter when he asked me why am I comming to the states.He(This officer has nothing to do with the whole field of Dentistry at all )asked me : do you have good marks??? I told him they are not bad ,then he saw my transcript and told me littirally:

(Do you really think that you can get to UPENN with these marks???, My cousin had 94% average in here undergraduate studies and she could not make it to the dental school there!!!!!!!!.)

I was sooooooooooooooo happy & encoraged to hear these lovely words:clap: ,Comming out of his pritty BIG MOUTH.

7)-When I met with the other applicants in the conference room in the early morning befor Dr.Lopez came,one of them told us that we were doing our interviews just for waiting list .I was moooooooooor happy & excited to know that precious piece of information , that turned out to be false later during the day.

8)-What Dr.peter told me about retaking part-1.Till this moment I do not understand why he said that .Maybe it was a JOKE or somthing...........I still cant get it,But if it was really a joke I just wanna tell him one sentance:
MAN,you really scared :scared: the hell out of me.

After this adventure at UPENN , I have to say what others said on SDN before:

"AT UPENN ,YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING FOR".

Members don't see this ad :)
hey sam...i didnt mean it in a bad way,and i do like to have a pic of you ....chubby boy...hmmm...a future dentist from upenn do all the partying u can...two years of intense studying are on your way....but do find time to post on snd after u join: i always felt your posts were very honest...remeber u said once u knew people who were admitted yet they didnt like to share it on sdn

Sam!!!
COngratulations, buddy!!!!
U did a greaaat JOB!!
So when r u coming bag n baggage to my hometown.
cheers once again.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by sam3
Origionally posted by Kpat :

Hi sam3,
only thing I can tell you is 85 is NOT a bad score at all. But, getting admission gets more competitive because of so many people getting higher scores.....

PENN is very particular about getting people from all over the world....if they go by scores they will have all students from the same part of the world.....(we have gone through this on sdn already!) and I mean no offense to anyone by making this statement..........

So, bottomline, I would not literally take what ever they say during the interview....They would/should not bring you in if they knew they were not gonna accept you. I know (as I worked in the international office) for sure that they have rejected people with scores in mid 90s.......so, go figure!

Good luck with your admission.

kpat
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Kpat :

YOU WON:clap: .I admit it here infront of ALL SDN members that YOU WERE RIGHT IN ALL WHAT YOU SAID ABOVE ,AND I WAS WRONG.Can everyone on SDN hear me?????? I......... was.......... wroooooooooooooooong..........

Kpat : Thanks a million for what you wrote above.Honestly,when you wrote me those advices ...........I read them after comming back from the interview and inside my heart I said:

I can not believe her .She is just telling me some comforting words . It was allways that small devile in my mind that was keeping me sooooooooo pessimistic.It turned out today today that they were NOT typing my rejection letter,it was the contrast .

What really made me think that a 100% I will be rejected is what Dr.Peter the program director told me about retaking part-1 . It turned out today that one more time :YOU WERE RIGHT & I WAS WRONG.I should not have taken his words literally.Till this moment I swear to all the Holy GODS in the world that am still in a state of a shock:wow: ,coz when he adviced me to retake part-1..................I said in my heart...........: Thats it ,He is kicking me out.

One more time Dr.Kpat : Thank you very much,I wish if I had belived what you said from the bigining.

Hey Sam,

It is nice of you to take time and reply to everyone, very sweet gesture!
In about a year, or less than that , I probably will see you telling the same things I said here on sdn to some other people....I understand how you felt.........until you get an acceptance letter, nothing is sure....I remembered the day I got the letter myself....and trust me, i know how it feels....

so, get out and party and have fun.......;coz the summer program is going to be anything but fun! You will be in the lab pretty much all the time.........If you need more info reg. upenn, feel free to contcat me, I will pm you my e-mail.

congratulations again!

kpat

congratulations sam,
ur posts have really lifted my hopes...my upenn interview is yet to b over....

hi everyone
does anyone has an interview in upenn on 26th of feb?

hi sam

was goin thru your story was really impressive and quite a boost as well , am glad it was a happy ending .really happy for u . all the best.:clap:

sam,i was impressed about your story,you really deserve your acheivement,work hard and show them your skills in the dental school buddy.....:)

Thanks everyone.Hope everyone gets lucky the way I was.

Callous 9 : Do you live in Philli?? .

Anjoliey : Good luck in your interview .Allways remember:hungover:o not listen to my previous pessimist thoughts,coz i was compleatly wrong in all of them.Just do your preparations and read Dr.Kpat advices,coz she knows what she is talking about.

Rams :Yep .It is a happy ending that came as a present out of nowhere in Hevens.

Toothlord :Thanks buddy ;) .

Hi Sam ,
Congratulations :clap: :clap:
And thanks a lot for the best wishes..
Take care

Originally posted by anjoliey
hi everyone
does anyone has an interview in upenn on 26th of feb?
Hi ,
I just came back from the UPenn interview and they told me that 26th Feb is the last day they are going to conduct interviews after that they 're going to sit together and decide about people like us!:)

Hi ,
SDN is really famous!!When I went for the interview,other applicants knew me..But as they were passive readers of this forum..
I didn't know them..:(