upenn interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have my PASS interview on Nov 20th...
Wish me luck, I'm so sorry that I discovered this discussion so late, and now I see general mistakes in my preparation.:(

Oh, well, what ever...
I'll post impressions and results

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome Ivan, and good luck!!!!

hi everybody,
i was a little anxious about not hearing from UPenn. I mailed my application around 22nd of October. I have a part 1 score of 88, Toefl-287 and GPA of 2.53. do you'll think my GPA is too low to get a call from UPenn? also is it to late now to get a call coz' a few of my friends got a call just 3 weeks after submitting their application. i was just wondering if here is anyone in the same situation as me.

bye.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, my interview is already in the history...

I guess it went allright, but I'm a bit sceptical about getting in, after all.

We were only 6 people, 5 girls and me;) 2 indian, 2 chinese, 2 eastern european.

And here is what I can add.

Dr Lopez is not a DDS, but has PhD in "cultural relations" so I felt like I was whached under a Microscope, when she was asking me a question "How do you think you have changed after you have come to the US", and "what do you think people like about you"... I mean it's tough to thik of something right a way... especially if not prepaired. My answers went pretty bad.

The other interviewers were faculty, and they were cool. There I felt pretty relaxed.

No clinical research is being conducted, mostly pre-clinical ( if you have time), so if you are intrested in that, UPenn is not the place:(

I think they rely too much on their good reputation after all.

Don't park at the garage mentioned at the orientation paper, it will cost you $10.

So, have better luck than me...

Hi :
do you mind if I asked you what were the PRECLINICAL QUESTIONS you were asked?????

I think Sam you have understood me wrong.
What I meaned was about the research programs that UPenn conducts, and if somebody is interested in research.

Other than that, nobody is asking ANY questions that come to test your knowledge in dentistry.

WAO THANKS A LOT, THAT WAS MUCH COMFORTING.

has anyone heard from upenn? Has anyone come to know about there application status?

Originally posted by pkowe
has anyone heard from upenn? Has anyone come to know about there application status?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you can call at upenn..they will tell you ur application status on the phone

Hi mili,
Thanks for your suggestion. i called them and i am scheduled for interveiw on 22nd jan. But the thing is i have interveiw in BU on same day. does anyone think that upenn will reschedule my interveiw? The lady with whom i talked she told me ' after receiving a letter call up and we will see what we can do'!I hope it should work out.

Originally posted by sam3
I do

hi sam3,
i called UPenn on friday and the lady there told me that they have scheduled me for an interview for the 15th of January and that i will be recieving a letter from them this coming week.. i think you must have been scheduled. give them a call and they will tell you your application status.

sanju.

Originally posted by Sanju
hi sam3,
i called UPenn on friday and the lady there told me that they have scheduled me for an interview for the 15th of January and that i will be recieving a letter from them this coming week.. i think you must have been scheduled. give them a call and they will tell you your application status.

sanju.
hi there my name is raj and i have also applied to upenn in second week of october but havenot heard anything from them yet i called them and i was told my application is complete and is under review i am really worrried are those guys still sending interview calls my part 1 score is 93 toefl is 270 and gpa is 3.2 if anyone knows anything i will appreciate it or if u know someone whom i should contact to find out what excatly is going on thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
hi sam3,

sanju.
[/QUOT

SANJU
Hi buddy : i really appriciate your cooperation,and letting me know that.I really forgot about upenn interview coz I did not have any hope from the bigining.I'll call them on mondy.

One more time ...........thanks a lot buddy.

Sanju:

I called the lady at upenn today ,and she told me that I have been schedualed 4 an interview on the 15th/january.

Sanju:

I called the lady at upenn today ,and she told me that I have been schedualed 4 an interview on the 15th/january. I ll see you there buddy.

OH.............one more thing,I called nyu,but the lady mentioned nothing about sending me an interview letter.

hi sam3,
thats great. will meet you at upenn.

sanju

Congrats Sam!

Thanks meegs.

Sanju:

I called the lady at upenn today ,and she told me that I have been schedualed 4 an interview on the 15th/january.

hi sam3,
no letter from upenn as yet. did you get one?

sanju

congrats sam and sunju for the interview calls from upenn.

best of luck

pallavi

hi sam3,
no letter from upenn as yet. did you get one?

sanju

Nope,nothing yet .Remember that I live in Canada so it will take more time 2 reach me.

Hello everyone:

Well just comming from UPENN interview,I have some tips to add.Am not gonna get in to regular details or idias that have been discussed befor.I just have somting to say befor I start:Honestly,with all respect 2 everyone who is writing on SDN,But NOT everything written here is 100% true.

I immagined while reading old posts about UPENN interview in order to prepare for my interview there that Dr.Lopez is gonna be like a monster ready to eat me alive ,to the contrast I found here sweeter than an icecream.

I went 2 the interview with the most careless mood a person can have,cause I new that my chance there is less than 1 in a million Espicially after what I read on SDN about candidates with more quallifications than me who got rejected.What am gonna write in the folloing will confirm that.

We were 7 candidates(the 8th did not show up).2 males & 5 females.Thanks God I was not the one with the lowest part-1 score this time like the case in my BU interview:

-Me/ Syria / 85 .
-Male/ Iran / 85 he has a master in perio.
-4 females/ India / 83+86+88+88 one of them came from Canada also.
- Female /Letwania / 83 .

Dr.Lopes told us that there will be 3 interviews.Each one will be 15 to 20 minutes,but they actully kept more than that time.

1)- My first interview was with Dr.Peter Berthold the program director (between 30 to 40 minutes) . He asked me the following:

- Tell me about yourself.
- What did you do in Canada since 2001.
- Other than Dentistry, what do you like 2 do = (Hobbies).
- Do you have in Syria a similar curriculum like the American one.
-Why is it that most Syrians like to go for a spicialty program in surgery.
-R U planing 2 practice in USA.
- R U planing 2 go back 2 Syria or Canada after doing pass program.
- Did U take the Canadian Boarder exam.
-Why did U swich from Medicen to Dentistry.
-Tell me about your experience in the army.
- Do U have any question.

Then he told me somthing that made me realize that I do not have a chance at UPENN this year.He said:well 85 is not a bad score at all ,but I would highly recommend that U retake part-1 and get a better score!!! .I told him that I might do that after am done with part-2 ,but he said : you cant do that.I asked why?.He said cause you will be done with your National Boards. Does anyone here on SDN know about this issue?? is it true??.

2)- Second interview was with Dr.????? I really forgot her name. about( 20 to 25 minutes):

- Did you get in to any troubles crossing the boarders.
- What do U like & disslike in dentistry.
- She asked about a mistaken date that I wrote in my application.
-What R your futur goals .
- How did you learn about Pass program.
- You have been not working as a dentist for more than 2 years now,do U think that U can make it here?.

3)- The third one was with Dr.Lopes ,and I repeat that she was sooooooooo nice&cool, befor & during the interview.(25 to 30 minutes) :

-She checked my origional documents and asked me also about the wrong date that I wrote on my app.
-How do U like living in Canada.
-Did U work in Canada since 2001.
-What other schools did U apply 2.
-Did U find it difficult 2 take part-1.
- Strong & weak points.
- Any question.

Then she told me somthing similar 2 what Dr.Peter said.She said : U know that this is a very very competitive program and we have so many candidates with part-1 score in the high 90s.

Then came the tour. I was astonished with thier labs,clinics,and the faculty buildings & facilities.Far away much better than BU.Then financial info & the last thing was 30 minutes 4 questions and answers.Dr.Lopes told us not 2 expect anything befor the bigining of March.She repeated that this program is very competitive one ,and it was so much hard 4 here 2 make dicisions.She said that it was very hard on her 2 send rejection letters 2 candidates with part-1 scores in the 90s.

My impressions:

1)- The lunch sucks .......... .I ordered 2 sandwiches & salad.Insted I got one cold & very dry one( 1 )sandwich with no salad.
It looked like they gave us food that was left from the previous week interview,or maybe the guy who prepared the lunch ate my second sandwich.This is one of the most important parts of the interview 4 me.when I asses a university. I give the food part 50 % out of 100 % on my scale...........just kidding guys........I know that the majority of us here including me are dieing 2 get in to any school anywhere in USA.

2)-I know that my rejection letter is gonna follow me 2 weeks after my interview,even befor March as Dr. Lopez told us(I guess that they started typing it the moment I was done with my interviews ).My question is the following, and I wish if someone here on SDN can answer me cause I really do not know ????? : They said that they R inviting 350 candidates out of 650 applicants,and they R gonna choose only 24 to 30 maximum out of these 350.Why don't they invite the MOST PROSPECTIV CANDIDATES ONLY???? .Let us say the 80 or 90 most prospective ones.

I really do appriciate that they gave me the chance of being interviewed,it was my second interview ,and it was a good experience 4 me,but why don't they do as some universities do.I mean 2 invite just the most prospective applicants . I guess like UCS or UCLA if am not misstaken.For example at BU they invite 200 applicants and pick up 65 so the ratio is 32% will get in.At UPENN they invite 350 and pick up only 24 to 30 so the ratio is only 8% will get in.

3)- My third question is that is it true that after taking part-2 ,I can't retake part-1 again in order 2 improve my score.Please if anyone knows the answer 4 sure, be kind 2 let me know about it cause I do not remember reading anything like that on SDN.

My spicial thanks 2 all those who answered my PMs befor & after my interview.God bless U all guys & girles.I really appriciate all your help & advices.

Finally..............Did any of you guys (who were with me at UPENN interview) take my second sandwich & salad while I was away doing my interviews??????.Just tell me and I promiss not 2 sue you.

:laugh: :laugh::laugh:

well sam3, i like the way you listed up your experience,this is an indication of a professional guy,not a race rat !!!
hopefully you will be accepted man.

hi sam,
Your experince regarding interveiw is very helpful for all of us who r going to interveiw in future.
As far as i know u can take part1 even after giving part2. Two of my friends have given part1 recently even though they have given part2.
Another thing i learned from your experience .... don't leave the sandwich alone during interveiw session:laugh:

I hope what U R saying is true regarding retaking part-1.

One more thing,not only U have 2 watch 4 your sandwiches.... .At UPENN U need 2 bring your own food with U,coz even MCdonalds have better stuffs. :laugh: :laugh:

Hi sam3,

just one suggestion......seems like you did fine in the interview, but stop being so pessimistic. Remember, that is another thing they look for! They want confident people and once you have an interview call, you still do stand a pretty good chance of getting in. Stop thinking they are typing youre rejection letter, instead you need to give them an attitude saying "you better send me an acceprtance letter!" ......atleast from personal experience that is what I know about Penn.

.....Then he told me somthing that made me realize that I do not have a chance at UPENN this year.He said:well 85 is not a bad score at all ,but I would highly recommend that U retake part-1 and get a better score!!! .I told him that I might do that after am done with part-2 ,but he said : you cant do that.I asked why?.He said cause you will be done with your National Boards. Does anyone here on SDN know about this issue?? is it true??.

Why did they invited you if they were going to tell you right away to retake it???? a.....ho.... They could have saved the hassle and told you by letter.

Anyway,..... this person was telling how she got rejected from UPenn when IN HER FACE they told her is was because she had taken the part 1 scoring in the low 80's, and after retaking only improved a few points (high 80's). See, she took it the first time got low 80's, took part 2, retoke part 1 (got high 80's) and applied to UPENN. In her part 2 scores are printed her first part 1 scores, so they were able to see what her previous score was. And thus, they invited her to the interview just to tell her that that was the reason she wouldn't make it into the program.
a*!@?*!
Does this makes sense or I need to explain it better?

Originally posted by kpat
Hi sam3,

just one suggestion......seems like you did fine in the interview, but stop being so pessimistic. Remember, that is another thing they look for! They want confident people and once you have an interview call, you still do stand a pretty good chance of getting in. Stop thinking they are typing youre rejection letter, instead you need to give them an attitude saying "you better send me an acceprtance letter!" ......atleast from personal experience that is what I know about Penn.

Hi kpat:

Believe me that I was so confident and very well prepared 4 this interview.I dressed very nice,and I was expecting most of the questions,and I practiced them at home.I answered all the questions with a very positive attitude.Thanks to a very nice Indian girl whom I met at BU interview,and she is an SDN member ...........her SDN name is CODS.

She just told me one sentenc that was short,but it has a very comforting impact on me.She said "When U go to UPENN interview..........leave your 85 score behind your back" ,and this was what I did in fact.

The onlything that made me pessimistic as you senced,is what both Dr.peter the program director& Dr. Lopez told me about my 85.I was expecting it also,but since that Dr.peter advised me 2 retake part-1................what do you think that means in your point of view?????.

Does not that mean that he is telling me: retake part-1,and get a better score .........& reapply again???Tell me if am wrong??

:(

Originally posted by meggs
Why did they invited you if they were going to tell you right away to retake it???? a.....ho.... They could have saved the hassle and told you by letter.

Anyway,..... this person was telling how she got rejected from UPenn when IN HER FACE they told her is was because she had taken the part 1 scoring in the low 80's, and after retaking only improved a few points (high 80's). See, she took it the first time got low 80's, took part 2, retoke part 1 (got high 80's) and applied to UPENN. In her part 2 scores are printed her first part 1 scores, so they were able to see what her previous score was. And thus, they invited her to the interview just to tell her that that was the reason she wouldn't make it into the program.
a*!@?*!
Does this makes sense or I need to explain it better?

Hi Meggs:

Nice talking 2 you back:D (long time no see chikitta:D ). I agree with you 100% .You really know what is going through my mind.This is the point that I was trying 2 explain in my post.

I felt that they called me just 2 tell me that in my face. I really appriciat that they invited me 4 the interview.I do not mind travilling by bus 10 hours 2 go & another 10 back home.It is just that I realized where do I stand after what they told me.

About this girl you talked about,it looks that i can retak part-1 after taking part-2, So why did Dr. peter told me the contrast.I guess ill call ADA 2 check it with them later.All my hopes now are directed tward BU result.

thank pkowe for your response,sam if u come to know that its not possible to retake part1 after part 2 please post it and if u know its possible to retake also [post it

Hello everyone:

Well just comming from UPENN interview,I have some tips to add.Am not gonna get in to regular details or idias that have been discussed befor.I just have somting to say befor I start:Honestly,with all respect 2 everyone who is writing on SDN,But NOT everything written here is 100% true.

I immagined while reading old posts about UPENN interview in order to prepare for my interview there that Dr.Lopez is gonna be like a monster ready to eat me alive ,to the contrast I found here sweeter than an icecream.

I went 2 the interview with the most careless mood a person can have,cause I new that my chance there is less than 1 in a million Espicially after what I read on SDN about candidates with more quallifications than me who got rejected.What am gonna write in the folloing will confirm that.

We were 7 candidates(the 8th did not show up).2 males & 5 females.Thanks God I was not the one with the lowest part-1 score this time like the case in my BU interview:

-Me/ Syria / 85 .
-Male/ Iran / 85 he has a master in perio.
-4 females/ India / 83+86+88+88 one of them came from Canada also.
- Female /Letwania / 83 .

Dr.Lopes told us that there will be 3 interviews.Each one will be 15 to 20 minutes,but they actully kept more than that time.

1)- My first interview was with Dr.Peter Berthold the program director (between 30 to 40 minutes) . He asked me the following:

- What did you do in Canada since 2001.
- Other than Dentistry, what do you like 2 do = (Hobbies).
- Do you have in Syria a similar curriculum like the American one.
-Why is it that most Syrians like to go for a spicialty program in surgery.
-R U planing 2 practice in USA.
- R U planing 2 go back 2 Syria or Canada after doing pass program.
- Did U take the Canadian Boarder exam.
-Why did U swich from Medicen to Dentistry.
-Tell me about your experience in the army.

Then he told me somthing that made me realize that I do not have a chance at UPENN this year.He said:well 85 is not a bad score at all ,but I would highly recommend that U retake part-1 and get a better score!!! .I told him that I might do that after am done with part-2 ,but he said : you cant do that.I asked why?.He said cause you will be done with your National Boards. Does anyone here on SDN know about this issue?? is it true??.

2)- Second interview was with Dr.????? I really forgot her name. about( 20 to 25 minutes):

- Did you get in to any troubles crossing the boarders.
- What do U like & disslike in dentistry.
- She asked about a mistaken date that I wrote in my application.
-What R your futur goals .
- How did you learn about Pass program.
- You have been not working as a dentist for more than 2 years now,do U think that U can make it here?.

3)- The third one was with Dr.Lopes ,and I repeat that she was sooooooooo nice&cool, befor & during the interview.(25 to 30 minutes) :

-She checked my origional documents and asked me also about the wrong date that I wrote on my app.
-How do U like living in Canada.
-Did U work in Canada since 2001.
-What other schools did U apply 2.
-Did U find it difficult 2 take part-1.
- Strong & weak points.
- Any question.

Then she told me somthing similar 2 what Dr.Peter said.She said : U know that this is a very very competitive program and we have so many candidates with part-1 score in the high 90s.

Then came the tour. I was astonished with thier labs,clinics,and the faculty buildings & facilities.Far away much better than BU.Then financial info & the last thing was 30 minutes 4 questions and answers.Dr.Lopes told us not 2 expect anything befor the bigining of March.She repeated that this program is very competitive one ,and it was so much hard 4 here 2 make dicisions.She said that it was very hard on her 2 send rejection letters 2 candidates with part-1 scores in the 90s.

My impressions:

1)- The lunch sucks .......... .I ordered 2 sandwiches & salad.Insted I got one cold & very dry one( 1 )sandwich with no salad.
It looked like they gave us food that was left from the previous week interview,or maybe the guy who prepared the lunch ate my second sandwich.This is one of the most important parts of the interview 4 me.when I asses a university. I give the food part 50 % out of 100 % on my scale...........just kidding guys........I know that the majority of us here including me are dieing 2 get in to any school anywhere in USA.

2)-I know that my rejection letter is gonna follow me 2 weeks after my interview,even befor March as Dr. Lopez told us(I guess that they started typing it the moment I was done with my interviews ).My question is the following, and I wish if someone here on SDN can answer me cause I really do not know ????? : They said that they R inviting 350 candidates out of 650 applicants,and they R gonna choose only 24 to 30 maximum out of these 350.Why don't they invite the MOST PROSPECTIV CANDIDATES ONLY???? .Let us say the 80 or 90 most prospective ones.

I really do appriciate that they gave me the chance of being interviewed,it was my second interview ,and it was a good experience 4 me,but why don't they do as some universities do.I mean 2 invite just the most prospective applicants . I guess like UCS or UCLA if am not misstaken.For example at BU they invite 200 applicants and pick up 65 so the ratio is 32% will get in.At UPENN they invite 350 and pick up only 24 to 30 so the ratio is only 8% will get in.

3)- My third question is that is it true that after taking part-2 ,I can't retake part-1 again in order 2 improve my score.Please if anyone knows the answer 4 sure, be kind 2 let me know about it cause I do not remember reading anything like that on SDN.

My spicial thanks 2 all those who answered my PMs befor & after my interview.God bless U all guys & girles.I really appriciate all your help & advices.

Finally..............Did any of you guys (who were with me at UPENN interview) take my second sandwich & salad while I was away doing my interviews??????.Just tell me and I promiss not 2 sue you.

:laugh: :laugh::laugh:

hi sam3,
very good replication of the interview day. i think we just have to wait and see till march 1st week. do not lose hopes. with upenn you never know what might happen.

sanju

Hi sanju :

Honestly ??? If I got an acceptance letter frome BU,I ll be the happiest man in the world.BU is my 1st choice.

Hi kpat:

Believe me that I was so confident and very well prepared 4 this interview.I dressed very nice,and I was expecting most of the questions,and I practiced them at home.I answered all the questions with a very positive attitude.Thanks to a very nice Indian girl whom I met at BU interview,and she is an SDN member ...........her SDN name is CODS.

She just told me one sentenc that was short,but it has a very comforting impact on me.She said "When U go to UPENN interview..........leave your 85 score behind your back" ,and this was what I did in fact.

The onlything that made me pessimistic as you senced,is what both Dr.peter the program director& Dr. Lopez told me about my 85.I was expecting it also,but since that Dr.peter advised me 2 retake part-1................what do you think that means in your point of view?????.

Does not that mean that he is telling me: retake part-1,and get a better score .........& reapply again???Tell me if am wrong??

:(

Hi sam3,
only thing I can tell you is 85 is NOT a bad score at all. But, getting admission gets more competitive because of so many people getting higher scores.....

PENN is very particular about getting people from all over the world....if they go by scores they will have all students from the same part of the world.....(we have gone through this on sdn already!) and I mean no offense to anyone by making this statement..........

So, bottomline, I would not literally take what ever they say during the interview....They would/should not bring you in if they knew they were not gonna accept you. I know (as I worked in the international office) for sure that they have rejected people with scores in mid 90s.......so, go figure!

Good luck with your admission.

kpat

Originally posted by kpat
Hi sam3,
only thing I can tell you is 85 is NOT a bad score at all. But, getting admission gets more competitive because of so many people getting higher scores.....

PENN is very particular about getting people from all over the world....if they go by scores they will have all students from the same part of the world.....(we have gone through this on sdn already!) and I mean no offense to anyone by making this statement..........

So, bottomline, I would not literally take what ever they say during the interview....They would/should not bring you in if they knew they were not gonna accept you. I know (as I worked in the international office) for sure that they have rejected people with scores in mid 90s.......so, go figure!

Good luck with your admission.

kpat

Hi Kpat:

Thanks a lot for your encouragement.I really appriciat it.I enjoyed this interview so much,espicialy with Dr.Peter .He looked very intrested in all the details in my application.We also discussed my personal statment ,and I could feel that he was intrested in some areas like :My work experience & what have I done in Canada.

Dr.Lopez told us also that it is not only Part-1 that they concider,and that they evaluate the applicant as a whole package.

I could also notice what you have mentioned that they really have this ethnic diversity issue .I noticed it more than I could at BU.All I can do now is waitting & praying.

Thanks a lot 4 your comments.

dont worry sam3,hopefully you will make it.

......,it looks that i can retak part-1 after taking part-2, So why did Dr. peter told me the contrast.I guess ill call ADA 2 check it with them later.....

Yes, you can retake part 1 after taking part 2. But they would already know that this is your second attempt at it, and that in your first attempt you got an 85.

Is not whether you CAN or not, rather wheter it will MATTER to them or not. I guess they may want a neat looking National Board Certificate.

Dear Sam,
That was an excellent review of your experience and I am sure you are going to be a very succesful dentist.You're prayers will been soon answered and you will be hearing from the school thats best for you.
All the best,

Hi everyone,
I have an interview at UPenn on the 29th of Jan.Would like to know if any other SDN members are coming too.
Looking forward to meeting fellow SDN members.

Thanks Pinktooth;)

hi sam

hey keep the faith....looks like ur resume is really good....stay positive. all the best.

and as for why upenn calls so many interviewees and take in so less....well maybe they like the statistics it generates.... more interviewed & v less taken= great school that everyone applies to and no one gets into.......we interviewed sooooo many and could take only soooooo few coz our school is soooooo good. :D
just kidding....i have no idea why......

Tanks Toothmail ,and congratulations on your part-1=94 .

Hi Folks,
Going for the interview at UPenn tomorrow..
Will write about it when I come back...
Hope I do well:)
Little nervous..
Take care..

Good luck Pinktooth.Show them all your teeth,not only the pink one.Show them your Canines and that you are a TIGER with a part-1=94 comming to have a spot & and allways remember:

1-Be confident.
2-Take your own food with you & keep your eyes on it,or hide it somewhere:laugh: .

all the best pink tooth for ur interview. be urself and hope for the best. the students and staff of upenn r very helpful and nice.
not at all intimidating. (btw i didnt get throu :( , but tht was my first interview and i was very impressed with the school)

[ I do not believe in meracles.I rely on them ]
Yep..................from now on Henna's quote is gonna be one of my new principles in life.

Today is my new birthdate.I have been born again & I won the jackpot.

A guy buzzed on my door at 9:00 am this morning ,and handed me a large envelope.I was still sleepy..............I did not have any clue.

I opend it ,while I was still half eyes closed,and .........
...............................and the Grand prize goes to................

YEEEEE.... HH....... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..........................

It is a FEDEX from UPENN.......

It is a BOY.....................

It is an acceptance letter from UPENN.............

I can now say that I find myself a spot in this world.I wish the best luck to all those who are still waiting

:clap::clap:

oh my god,do i have to post my congratulation everytime i see you????congratulations buddy....:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good luckkkkkkkkkkkkk
sam3

hey SaM 3
CONGRATULATIONS!! Great Job