Update on Trinity School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrinityMDMPH

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, and thank you for your interest in our program.

Trinity hasn't utilized these forums very much in the past. In light of this fact, I am here to answer any questions or concerns that prospective applicants may have regarding our program.

The following are a few updates on Trinity School of Medicine for your information:

· We are a small program: Our January class is at 20-30 students, while our largest class in September is at 60-70 students.

· Excellent student: faculty ratio, academic advising, student mentoring, as well as limited research opportunities.

· Traditional MD track and Individualized Learning Program (ILP) track option available to select students for a more tailored, slower-paced curriculum.

· Early clinical exposure & integration via our partnership with Milton Kato hospital (220-bed hospital).

· Trinity is the only school in St. Vincent and the Grenadines with CAAM-HP accreditation.

· Strong organizational leadership: Our founding Chancellor is Dr. Douglas Skelton, who has over 15 years of US medical school leadership experience at Mercer University School of Medicine. Our Dean of Students is Dr. Linda Adkison, an accomplished researcher and geneticist, who has taught at Kansas City University School of Medicine in Kansas City. Also, Dr. Frederick Ballantine (Howard University & SUNY Upstate medical school graduate) is the Governor General of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, who attends our white coat ceremonies each term. We have a positive relationship with both the government and the citizens of SVG.

· The CAAM-HP standards adopted by St. Vincent and used to evaluate Trinity are recognized by the US Department of Education’s NCFMEA. This is a major step in regards to our concerted effort at receiving Title IV status.

Scholarships/grants: We offer MCAT scholarships to applicants with scores above 504. Additional scholarships and grants have been awarded due to research/publication experience, military service, community service, as well as financial hardship.

·
All of our core (3rd year) clinical rotations take place in Baltimore. Additionally, we have clinical rotation slots available for every student that is admitted.

· A major construction project has begun on island including new classrooms, lecture halls, student meeting rooms. There is also new student housing under construction.

Our match rate is 86%. While our program does not produce the volume of graduates or total number of matches per year compared other larger programs, our relative percentage of graduates who obtain a PGY1 position in the Match is higher.

· Our attrition rate is 13-15% from matriculation to graduation.

· Our average USLME Step 1 score is 220, with highs in the 255-257 range.

· Our average USMLE Step 2 CK score is 234, with highs in the 255-258 range.

· Next year, Trinity will meet the minimum time-established threshold to apply for tax benefits for Canadian students borrowing money to attend.

· Our campus has developed a culture focused on outreach and philanthropy. Some of these endeavors are driven by the school (WPP, Rotary Village Doctor event), while other events (i.e. orphanage visits, cancer 5K, St. Vincent Humane Society, toiletry, clothing, and toy drives) are entirely student driven.

· AMSA student leadership opportunities are available.

· Student founded and run groups include a broad diversity of communities. Groups include Canadian, Christian, Muslim, Caribbean, medical specialty clubs (surgery, etc.), research, like-minded activities such as SCUBA, and animal rescue are available.

2016 Trinity by the Numbers facts and figures:
  • Total enrollment: 407
  • Average GPA: 3.15
  • Average MCAT: 24
  • 303 universities represented
  • Student citizenship: 71% US, 15% Canada, 11% international
  • 10:1 student:faculty ratio
  • 93% first attempt USMLE Step 1 pass rate (1st attempt, 4/15-3/16)
  • 220 average USMLE Step 1 score (1st pass, 4/15-3/16)
*Statistical information referenced above reflects information available as of March 2016 and will be updated on an ongoing basis.

Additionally, we recently created a 2015 Trinity graduate video on Youtube which discusses life as a student both inside and outside of the classroom, complete with student testimonials. All featured students have since graduated from the program having earned matched positions.

The video can be viewed at: .

Speaking as a US-IMG who has successfully navigated through the entire process of both international medical education and the Match process prior to joining medical school administration, this program is best designed to allow for excellent student mentoring, faculty exposure, early clinical integration, and is based on a culture of student collaboration and cooperation.

Our online application is available at: Application for Admission | Trinity School of Medicine - Medical School, Apply to Medical School, Medical School of the Caribbean

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would be happy to discuss further.

Kind regards,

Dr. Wollman

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Good afternoon everyone, and thank you for your interest in our program.

Trinity hasn't utilized these forums very much in the past. In light of this fact, I am here to answer any questions or concerns that prospective applicants may have regarding our program.

The following are a few updates on Trinity School of Medicine for your information:

· We are a small program: Our January class is at 20-30 students, while our largest class in September is at 60-70 students.

· Excellent student: faculty ratio, academic advising, student mentoring, as well as limited research opportunities.

· Traditional MD track and Individualized Learning Program (ILP) track option available to select students for a more tailored, slower-paced curriculum.

· Early clinical exposure & integration via our partnership with Milton Kato hospital (220-bed hospital).

· Trinity is the only school in St. Vincent and the Grenadines with CAAM-HP accreditation.

· Strong organizational leadership: Our founding Chancellor is Dr. Douglas Skelton, who has over 15 years of US medical school leadership experience at Mercer University School of Medicine. Our Dean of Students is Dr. Linda Adkison, an accomplished researcher and geneticist, who has taught at Kansas City University School of Medicine in Kansas City. Also, Dr. Frederick Ballantine (Howard University & SUNY Upstate medical school graduate) is the Governor General of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, who attends our white coat ceremonies each term. We have a positive relationship with both the government and the citizens of SVG.

· The CAAM-HP standards adopted by St. Vincent and used to evaluate Trinity are recognized by the US Department of Education’s NCFMEA. This is a major step in regards to our concerted effort at receiving Title IV status.

·
All of our core (3rd year) clinical rotations take place in Baltimore. Additionally, we have clinical rotation slots available for every student that is admitted.

· A major construction project has begun on island including new classrooms, lecture halls, student meeting rooms. There is also new student housing under construction.

Our match rate is 86%. While our program does not produce the volume of graduates or total matches per year compared other larger programs, our relative percentage of graduates who obtain a PGY1 position in the Match is higher.

· Our average USLME Step 1 score is 220, with highs in the 255-257 range.

· Our average USMLE Step 2 CK score is 234, with highs in the 255-258 range.

· Next year, Trinity will meet the minimum time-established threshold to apply for tax benefits for Canadian students borrowing money to attend.

· Our campus has developed a culture focused on outreach and philanthropy. Some of these endeavors are driven by the school (WPP, Rotary Village Doctor event), while other events (i.e. orphanage visits, cancer 5K, St. Vincent Humane Society, toiletry, clothing, and toy drives) are entirely student driven.

· AMSA student leadership opportunities are available.

· Student founded and run groups include a broad diversity of communities. Groups include Canadian, Christian, Muslim, Caribbean, medical specialty clubs (surgery, etc.), research, like-minded activities such as SCUBA, and animal rescue are available.

Speaking as a US-IMG who successfully navigated through the entire process of both international medical education and the Match prior to joining medical school administration, this program is best designed to allow for excellent student mentoring, faculty exposure, early clinical integration, and is based on a culture of student collaboration and cooperation.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would be happy to discuss further.

Kind regards,

Dr. Wollman

Thank you, Dr. Wollman.

Reactions: 1 users
Our match rate is 86%. While our program does not produce the volume of graduates or total number of matches per year compared other larger programs, our relative percentage of graduates who obtain a PGY1 position in the Match is higher.

Although Caribbean medical schools are never a good idea, good on this program for being very clear about their match and attrition rate.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sold! Where do I sign up??

Hiiiiii trinity I'm an M2 who never applied to you and would love to stop receiving your ****ing "apply now!" emails. thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks!! I couldn't find on the website but what are your average gpa and MCAT for matriculated students??

*Statistical information referenced above reflects information available as of March 2016 and will be updated on an ongoing basis.

Hiiiiii trinity I'm an M2 who never applied to you and would love to stop receiving your ****ing "apply now!" emails. thanks.

Please click the unsubscribe link so our marketing team will refrain from sending you additional communications.

This thread will end well.

Reactions: 17 users
Please click the unsubscribe link so our marketing team will refrain from sending you additional communications.

Lolzzz been clicked so many times

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

What is life like on the island??

What is life like on the island??

Lots of activity for the thread thus far, thank you all again for your interest.

We recently created a 2015 Trinity graduate video on Youtube which discusses life as a student both inside and outside of the classroom, complete with student testimonials. All featured students have since graduated from the program having earned matched positions.

Last edited:
Lots of activity, thank you all again for your interest.

We recently created a 2015 Trinity graduate video on Youtube which discusses life as a student both inside and outside of the classroom, complete with student testimonials. All featured students have since graduated from the program having earned matched positions.

What is the average debt per student after graduating?

What is the average debt per student after graduating?

Average debt per student after graduating: approximately $144,100 based on total tuition (10 semesters plus cost of living expenses per term. Estimated living expenses include health insurance, housing, textbooks, food, and personal expenses).

Last edited:
How much of the average first year class makes it to graduation in 4 years?

does your attrition rate include people leaving for any reason?

Are the students more dog people or cat people?

Reactions: 11 users
when did the last hurricane hit the island? Safety is of the utmost importance when choosing a school

I'm interested in pursuing a double residency in aerospace medicine and neurosurgery at Princeton Medical School-- how many of your students matched at Princeton Med last year?

Thanks in advance!

If the Caribbean is so great, why did Hamilton leave?

Reactions: 7 users
Something about trolling this guy/gyal when he/she is trying to have a genuine conversation doesnt seem right

Reactions: 42 users
I apologize for being cynical, but a wise grad school mentor once told me: "Deans are paid to lie".

These are stats I'd associate with LUCOM and/or the bottom of the DO school pile.

This is more telling: Both of these stats would get your school shut down by LCME or COCA.

And are those PGY1 slots preliminary, or categorical?

Reactions: 2 users
Something about trolling this guy/gyal when he/she is trying to have a genuine conversation doesnt seem right

You're right-- I'm sorry. I guess we should hear him/her out. Someone will gain some valuable info from this.

Something about leaving the conversation (post 17) as soon as the first good and challenging question comes out also doesn't seem right.

Not to mention they stuck around to "like" your post too...

No offense to you but the way I look at it is
M.D or D.O or no bueno
If I had stats like those I think I wouldn't even make D.O
I would probably postpone my graduation and try and get into D.O rather than going for a Caribbean M.D.

Plus correct me if I am wrong anyone, I do believe the way the residencies match for M.D is being opened up to D.O students..
So a D.O has a a much better selection for match and can be more picky.

Honestly even an 86 percent match rate sounds fake to me.
Cant trust jack **** about this garbage after looking at their website.

Found the most cringey, obviously misleading photo ever. Their students standing in front of Johsn Hopkins Hospital to trick people out of their money by thinking they can rotate through there.
Bowman_Soloway_Elliott_Johns-Hopkins.png

Gross

Found the most cringey, obviously misleading photo ever. Their students standing in front of Johsn Hopkins Hospital to trick people out of their money by thinking they can rotate through there.
Bowman_Soloway_Elliott_Johns-Hopkins.png

Gross
The 86% is probably of the 50% of students who even make it to match day

This is really accurate.... only about 50% make it through clinicals and probably around 50% successfully match from a low tier Caribbean school like that.

Not that I would actually defend a Carib school but they clearly stated their attrition rate.

I have to say, even as someone who is as anti-Carib as possible, Trinity seems to be transparent in their actions. All in all, if someone makes an informed decision with actual information to go carib then so be it.

Now the problem I have is someone with a 3.14 and 24 even being allowed in medical school in the first place, but then I remember how ****ty the low tier law schools are and other programs in various fields are and I suppose medicine should have our own horrible choice be made available to us. They'll either 1) barely pass and go after residencies I would never, ever go after and provide services to communities us MD US grads would never want or 2) do exceptionally well, take my spot in my dream program, and I can sleep well at night knowing that person fought through every adversity to get it. I'm fine with it as long as they know the realities. What I am not ok is the dumb people who don't know what a carib MD entails.

Here's some helpful advice to anyone considering Caribbean medical school-- if you can't get into a DO school that literally allows you to re-take your classes then you haven't earned the right to be a physician and you have earned the low match rates/high attrition rates of a Carib MD.

Also @Goro I'm not surprised these are stats that are associated with LUCOM or bottom DO schools. They're literally picking up the scraps that are naive premeds who can't take a hint.

Reactions: 10 users

+1!

Also the same for the New York Podiatry school!!

Please PM me your email address and I will ensure that you will no longer receive any additional emails.

How much of the average first year class makes it to graduation in 4 years?

Our attrition rate of 13% does include students leaving for any reason, including academic difficulty and that number is from first year matriculation through graduation. There is no data gating to reach that number.

Their students standing in front of Johsn Hopkins Hospital to trick people out of their money by thinking they can rotate through there.

Our clinical students attend weekly grand rounds at Johns Hopkins.

Our attrition rate of 13% does include students leaving for any reason, including academic difficulty and that number is from first year matriculation through graduation. There is no data gating to reach that number.
That's pretty impressive for a carribean school. Just to be clear . if 100 students matriculate 87 reach match application. And this includes students that withdrew or leave of absence or academic dismissal, right?

I'm certain that @DocFarnsworth and I have hit that unsub button several times. SGU does the same thing...

With SGU, I had to resort to sending them a screenshot of my acceptance letter to get them to stop.

That's pretty impressive for a carribean school. Just to be clear . if 100 students matriculate 87 reach match application. And this includes students that withdrew or leave of absence or academic dismissal, right?

No, match rates are the number of people who apply to residencies and match. So of 100 students 85-87 reach match application. Of those ~86 reaching the match, 86% will then match. So ~74 students will "match", which I believe is in line with the charting the outcomes for NRMP. Also, keep in mind that most schools will advertise their placement rate as their match rate and they are not the same thing.

No, match rates are the number of people who apply to residencies and match. So of 100 students 85-87 reach match application. Of those ~86 reaching the match, 86% will then match. So ~74 students will "match", which I believe is in line with the charting the outcomes for NRMP. Also, keep in mind that most schools will advertise their placement rate as their match rate and they are not the same thing.
I did say the match application, not ones who actually matched somewhere.

Smells like Princeton but tastes like Corinthian...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile