UoP School of Dentistry Class of 2025* Interview/Acceptance Thread

I find it surprising that you commented on this thread just to discredit my words. You and I both don't have anything to gain by spreading lies about the school. I also stated last year that I had gotten accepted to UOP and other schools in a previous cycle. If I remember correctly, you also got into UOP but chose to go elsewhere for cost savings. The choice you made was good for all the reasons I had stated earlier. I also decided to go elsewhere due to all of the negative things I had heard from graduates and current students of the school. I have many friends who attended the school in recent years. They all told me to choose the other option that I was leaning towards despite the fact that I am from California. So, I made the tough decision to leave the state for dental school and I don't regret it. I am only trying to help and provide some insight because I do not believe UOP is upfront and good-natured with how they structure the program and how grading is done at the school. A very notable percentage of UOP's first year class ends up remediating either one or both hand skills courses due to the very strenuous and toxic nature of how they conduct things. If you end up in this situation, you will have a feeling of being "on the edge" or "borderline" for the reminder of the program. That inherently makes the environment at UOP more stressful and miserable in the first year onward because you are that much more pressed to complete all the requirements in a condensed time span. Most other schools do what UOP does in the first year sim lab over the span of two years. That's a huge difference. I also heard professors can be very strict with grading in the sim lab as what may get a passing grade at other schools would get a failing grade at UOP. The learning process in sim lab is tough and frustrating but at UOP those negative aspects are easily worse due both the condensed program and more punitive grading scheme and overall grade deflation compared to many other schools. On top of that, Roseman made their announcement recently and I feel that students who are particularly interested in the 3 year program should choose Roseman due to potential six-figure cost savings and a seemingly much more pleasant dental school experience based on word of mouth. These are all important aspects that should be considered for current and future applicants when it is time to make the choice. I am only here for transparency. Feel free to private message me if any of you want more info based on my unique, informed perspective on UOP.
As a current student, I have to offer a few words to go with your comments. I will share a bit on the student experience.

There are a few students repeating as D1. I can count 4, and there may be more. Nonetheless, 4 out of 144 is a bit less than 3%. To be fair, it is "notable." However, all preclinical courses had significantly less simclin practice time last year because of the pandemic, which has to be considered. I'm not sure how many of those admitted with the current D3s repeated, but I doubt it was more. And for those that repeated, I don't think they are "on the edge" or "borderline." The ones I know are all doing good in the simclin. If anything, taking the class for a second time only makes things so much more manageable. Apart from the financial hit, I don't think it is that bad.

The preclinical courses at UOP are very intense. They crank up very quickly, which means one has to get good fast. It is stressful initially, no doubt, but students are not in it without help. Suppose anybody is struggling to at least get a 4 on practicals (4 = barely failing, one unacceptable criterion brings the score to a max of 4). In that case, their row instructor will place them into Saturday remediations, which is a few hours of mandatory Saturday practice with more instructors and tutors available. Some go to these sessions voluntarily, too. From what I've heard, they are very helpful. Most of those I know struggled at the beginning of the year are doing okay by the end. It can be frustrating at times, sometimes it is really hard to get a prep homework checked off, sometimes the practical grading can be unpredictable, sometimes your faculty eval is not as good as you wish. I was pretty frustrated first quarter because of not passing direct practicals. However, it can also be rewarding, like when you get preps checked off in one go, get 7+'s on practicals (or even an all excellent 9 :O), or your instructors leave you nice remarks in your evaluation. These are all parts of the journey which I believe should happen during everyone's dental school experience. They just happen all at once within less than a year at UOP.

In terms of grading, UOP grading is harsh. I don't know what to comment on that. It's just what it is. UOP asks for a high standard, and I signed up for it. For sure, my stress would be more manageable with an easier grading, but I would have also studied or practiced less. Good thing or bad thing, that's up to you. But it's definitely not harsh to the point that it is difficult to pass.

I think it is only fair that I also offer a few reasons for people not to come here. The first one is the cost, that's pretty obvious. The second is whether you would like to specialize. The school says most who want to specialize get their first choices, but it sure is hard to get a good class ranking and 3.8+ GPA while preparing to apply for residencies in a shorter time. The third would be the pace of the school and the stress. It is not easy to be held at higher clinical standards while having less time to achieve them.

Good luck to those who got the interview invitation, and congrats to those who got in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I find it surprising that you commented on this thread just to discredit my words. You and I both don't have anything to gain by spreading lies about the school. I also stated last year that I had gotten accepted to UOP and other schools in a previous cycle. If I remember correctly, you also got into UOP but chose to go elsewhere for cost savings. The choice you made was good for all the reasons I had stated earlier. I also decided to go elsewhere due to all of the negative things I had heard from graduates and current students of the school. I have many friends who attended the school in recent years. They all told me to choose the other option that I was leaning towards despite the fact that I am from California. So, I made the tough decision to leave the state for dental school and I don't regret it. I am only trying to help and provide some insight because I do not believe UOP is upfront and good-natured with how they structure the program and how grading is done at the school. A very notable percentage of UOP's first year class ends up remediating either one or both hand skills courses due to the very strenuous and toxic nature of how they conduct things. If you end up in this situation, you will have a feeling of being "on the edge" or "borderline" for the reminder of the program. That inherently makes the environment at UOP more stressful and miserable in the first year onward because you are that much more pressed to complete all the requirements in a condensed time span. Most other schools do what UOP does in the first year sim lab over the span of two years. That's a huge difference. I also heard professors can be very strict with grading in the sim lab as what may get a passing grade at other schools would get a failing grade at UOP. The learning process in sim lab is tough and frustrating but at UOP those negative aspects are easily worse due both the condensed program and more punitive grading scheme and overall grade deflation compared to many other schools. On top of that, Roseman made their announcement recently and I feel that students who are particularly interested in the 3 year program should choose Roseman due to potential six-figure cost savings and a seemingly much more pleasant dental school experience based on word of mouth. These are all important aspects that should be considered for current and future applicants when it is time to make the choice. I am only here for transparency. Feel free to private message me if any of you want more info based on my unique, informed perspective on UOP.
for someone who is already in a dental school elsewhere, you sure have enough time to troll this page for the obvious reason you have an ulterior motive to discredit the school because you are bitter and hurt. piece of advice - move on and let it go. focus on your studies and life at your dental school and stop being that ex that won't let go.

for someone who is already in a dental school elsewhere, you sure have enough time to troll this page for the obvious reason you have an ulterior motive to discredit the school because you are bitter and hurt. piece of advice - move on and let it go. focus on your studies and life at your dental school and stop being that ex that won't let go.
You are saying this while replying to my comment which is almost comical. Yes I do have time because the dental school I attend does a great job of not suffocating and torturing their students. I and many other classmates of mine are thriving here which is a blessing that a much lower percentage of students at UOP can say due to no fault of their own. Why would I be bitter and hurt if I got accepted and chose to go elsewhere? You seem to love discrediting me on the basis that I am a sore loser when I stated last year and this year that I am not. Nowadays, most UOP dental students are Californians who didn't get into UCLA, UCSF, and USC but did not want to leave the state. I am not saying this to shame any current students or alumni as I am friends with several of them. That is just what the reality indicates through observation. I have seen and personally know a handful of people who feel very shortchanged by UOP in particular and heavily regret choosing them over other schools. I was also advised by some alumni not to attend based on my options and UOP has seemingly only gotten more toxic and less prestigious since they graduated. You will always see positive opinions of schools broadcasted loudly and proudly whether they are honest or not. The unfavorable realities are naturally often hidden and more silent. Also, alumni or current students who notice and/or experience negative things are either embarrassed, scared, or feel bad about voicing their thoughts. At UOP, the disparity between expectation and reality seems much more flagrant that it comes across to me as malicious, self-serving, and intentional. I took it upon myself to bring these negative aspects to light. I am merely representing the part of the truth that is purposefully downplayed or even lied about for purposes of getting students to attend. I personally have nothing to gain or lose by doing so. I believe it is what current and future applicants deserve in order to make a truly informed decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are saying this while replying to my comment which is almost comical. Yes I do have time because the dental school I attend does a great job of not suffocating and torturing their students. I and many other classmates of mine are thriving here which is a blessing that a much lower percentage of students at UOP can say due to no fault of their own. Why would I be bitter and hurt if I got accepted and chose to go elsewhere? You seem to love discrediting me on the basis that I am a sore loser when I stated last year and this year that I am not. Nowadays, most UOP dental students are Californians who didn't get into UCLA, UCSF, and USC but did not want to leave the state. I am not saying this to shame any current students or alumni as I am friends with several of them. That is just what the reality indicates through observation. I have seen and personally know a handful of people who feel very shortchanged by UOP in particular and heavily regret choosing them over other schools. I was also advised by some alumni not to attend based on my options and UOP has seemingly only gotten more toxic and less prestigious since they graduated. You will always see positive opinions of schools broadcasted loudly and proudly whether they are honest or not. The unfavorable realities are naturally often hidden and more silent. Also, alumni or current students who notice and/or experience negative things are either embarrassed, scared, or feel bad about voicing their thoughts. At UOP, the disparity between expectation and reality seems much more flagrant that it comes across to me as malicious, self-serving, and intentional. I took it upon myself to bring these negative aspects to light. I am merely representing the part of the truth that is purposefully downplayed or even lied about for purposes of getting students to attend. I personally have nothing to gain or lose by doing so. I believe it is what current and future applicants deserve in order to make a truly informed decision.
aint nobody got time for you or this. stop trolling. we know who you are LOL. I'm sorry you got rejected and can't let go. if you look at your SDN history, your rejection has turned into a smear campaign because you're bitter. use your time to contribute to your dental school.

hip hop television GIF by WE tv

aint nobody got time for you or this. stop trolling. we know who you are LOL. I'm sorry you got rejected and can't let go. if you look at your SDN history, your rejection has turned into a smear campaign because you're bitter. use your time to contribute to your dental school.
You did not even choose this school when it was time for you to decide yet you're attacking my critique of it on an assumption that is false. I am not going to post my acceptance letter for the sake of anonymity. But I wish people in general did not feel so threatened by words and perspectives that do not align with theirs. This open-minded mentality would make the world a better place. With such a high price tag for dental school nowadays, I just want to help guide students in a direction that I believe gets them closer to what they deserve for what they are paying. No school is perfect, but it is important to critically compare options accordingly. I would highly recommend considering what I mentioned but ultimately the choice is up to you. To all applicants of this cycle and in future cycles, I hope you all attend a dental school that is best for you.

And you said you know who I am? I would be surprised if you did. If you are looking at my SDN history, you are probably confusing me with someone else lol.

"Also, alumni or current students who notice and/or experience negative things are either embarrassed, scared, or feel bad about voicing their thoughts."

Hi, current D1 here at UOP. Let me voice my thoughts.

It's the night before my midterm and I see some debate going on in this thread so I jump in. While there are some things I agree with what's been said up there, I don't agree that UOP is a school to be avoided.

Before anything, the cost is real people. This school is expensive. On top of that, add SF living cost. Predents should think about this more. As for those who decided to attend, during the school you don't realize how much you are paying is ridiculously high since FAFSA makes you feel invincible. But during your breaks, make sure to figure out how you plan on taking care of your financial responsibilities after you graduate, because it will come real fast. If money isn't the problem, UOP becomes a very attractive school.

I digress. Let me provide some insight into what I've experienced so far. Yes, the academic curriculum is highly fast paced. We are taking on 20+ units per quarter and things can pile up on you really fast if you don't work hard. Personally, I'm not a person who is aiming for 3.8+ or specialize and I'm happy with the B average I've been getting. If you lower your expectations of getting 4.0s from undergrad to a B average, honestly UOP is not impossible or tough on you academically. All of us here are used to getting A's left and right so it's hard to let that "A student mentality" go and that's where people start to have rough times with the school work. You are thrown 20+ units of work in 10 weeks long quarter. For most of people, keeping that straight A's is much tougher. However, I do know multiple classmates who wish to specialize and work extra hard in order to meet their dream, which I absolutely respect. They are able to do so while catching a break here and there. Again, it's rigorous, but not impossible.

What people usually struggle the most, however, is the simlab. Well, at least from what I've seen. There are 2 simlab courses. Every week you turn in an assignment(that is, if your instructor deems your work acceptable) and usually there are practicals every other week. Heck, the current quarter I'm in, we are taking practicals every week. UOP highly regards itself as the school producing one of the best skilled dentists. This wouldn't be possible if they didn't hold us to such high and ridiculously uptight criteria. To provide some insight into what I mean, usually in a practical you have around 8-10 criteria they grade you on. On any of the criteria, if you deviate 0.5mm or 5-6 degree from what is considered excellent, you automatically receive a 4, which is failing the practical. Doesn't matter if you hit all excellent in everything else. You fail 1 criteria, you fail it all. Personally, I failed all my practicals until the end of quarter 1. As rough as that sounds, UOP does provide some helpful system to help out the students if they are struggling. There are peer tutors, and saturday remedial sessions where the instructors will be spending more time with you closely to help you fix your issues.

Yes, we all suffer a lot and go through a lot here and yes, sometimes the grading in the simlab is ridiculous. I complain, and a lot of my friends here complain about it too. However, I knew what I was getting into (the school makes it pretty clear that it's a 3year program and will be very tough) and I endure through. My classmates also suffer, but I don't see them "on the edge" or "on borderline". I really cringe the fact that I will be saying this myself, but we really do have a family like atmosphere here. If you are struggling, there will be multiple classmates willing to help you out. I've received help on my simlab work from my classmates, D2s, and D3s and I've also helped multiple of my classmates with their simlab work/academics. For me, it's really the people around me that's pulling me through the process.

TL;DR current student voicing his opinion on how tough UOP can be, but disagreeing that the school hides it from you. UOP told you it'll be hard, and it is hard. Also, didn't see much toxicity here among my classmates besides few gunners out there, but them gunners are everywhere, so can't complain.

Reactions: 3 users
Have any of you gotten a response after emailing Stan Constatino?

Have any of you gotten a response after emailing Stan Constatino?
I emailed him a letter of continued interest (haven't received an interview invite yet) about a week before Christmas. I received the auto reply that admissions was out of office, but haven't heard anything since. Also emailed Emma a couple of weeks ago since he didn't respond, but she hasn't responded either. I'm assuming they're just very busy. Debating whether or not to reach out to Stan again but I don't want to come off as annoying.

I emailed him a letter of continued interest (haven't received an interview invite yet) about a week before Christmas. I received the auto reply that admissions was out of office, but haven't heard anything since. Also emailed Emma a couple of weeks ago since he didn't respond, but she hasn't responded either. I'm assuming they're just very busy. Debating whether or not to reach out to Stan again but I don't want to come off as annoying.
i emailed a letter and got the same auto reply i think it means they got it but not sure

Does anyone know the likelihood of being waitlisted if you get an interview at this point? I heard it's hard to get off the waitlist :( and how full is the class?

Members don't see this ad :)
heard all 144 seats were taken but there are still some people have not paid the deposit. Unless somebody drops, I think it's impossible to get in rn
hi! where did you hear that? at my interview stan said the class was not full

Just heard back from UOP today. I got on the alternate list.

Reactions: 1 user
got a call confirming acceptance today!

Did people get an email saying the interview was gonna be in person? I thought the interview was virtual, and I had made plans, so I'm not sure what to do.

Did people get an email saying the interview was gonna be in person? I thought the interview was virtual, and I had made plans, so I'm not sure what to do.
Can I ask when you received this email and when your interview is scheduled for?

Just got it like 30 minutes ago and my interview is Monday.
Oh wow, I'm interviewing on Thursday and I didn't get an email. Did the previous emails you received from UOP state that the interview would be in-person?

Oh wow, I'm interviewing on Thursday and I didn't get an email. Did the previous emails you received from UOP state that the interview would be in-person?
No, I'm literally looking through all my previous emails and it clearly states virtual on them.

That's a huge relief! So your interview is still virtual, right?
Yeah, it's virtual. I was freaking out for like 30 minutes there thinking I would have to change my plans last minute.

Does anyone know if UoP sends out rejection emails without interviews at this moment or it's just like a silent rejection that you figure out by yourself?

Does anyone know if UoP sends out rejection emails without interviews at this moment or it's just like a silent rejection that you figure out by yourself?
Last cycle, I got the rejection email on 3/12 without an interview.

Is there a group chat for this class? Is the Facebook group the only one?

Just got put on the alternate list, probably will not pursue it further. Interviewed a week ago.

Has anyone interviewed within the past 2 weeks and received a decision yet?

• Sad
Does anyone know if they are still conducting interviews/sending invites out?

I received a rejection from UOP this morning. No interview, but I have been accepted to another dental school already.