UofT - 1st yr pharmacy applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmkitty

=(^.^)=
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone else here applied to the 2009 Leslie Dan Pharmacy cycle and if someone knew what the chances of a first year student getting in? Also, if anyone out there has written the UTPAT in the past, I just wanted to know how ridiculous the essay topics are (people just tell me that they don't make sense).

Members don't see this ad.

last year they asked us to comment on a quote from plato: "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation." No right/wrong answers but they were looking for organization, clarity, ability to argue a particular side, persuasiveness, good style, etc. an unexpected topic for sure..

i know many first year students get in. in fact they don't look so much at age. some people can try like 5 times and still not get accepted (prolly an exaggeration =P) but they might be looking for a sense of maturity in your essay. the good thing about this year is they canceled out the short answer section (there used to be an essay PLUS several short answers in the written section). The duration of the test is also slightly shorter..so hopefully this will benefit you somehow!

hope that helps!

Hey all....................how was your UTPAT? I didn't think it was as bad as ppl made it out to be. what about you guys?

Members don't see this ad :)
last year they asked us to comment on a quote from plato: "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation." No right/wrong answers but they were looking for organization, clarity, ability to argue a particular side, persuasiveness, good style, etc. an unexpected topic for sure..

i know many first year students get in. in fact they don't look so much at age. some people can try like 5 times and still not get accepted (prolly an exaggeration =P) but they might be looking for a sense of maturity in your essay. the good thing about this year is they canceled out the short answer section (there used to be an essay PLUS several short answers in the written section). The duration of the test is also slightly shorter..so hopefully this will benefit you somehow!

hope that helps!

I'm glad the short answer section was taken out! The only thing is I wish they had a countdown or clock or something so we'd know when we had 2 minutes left to finish the IQ test. Cuz the guy was like" 30 minutes left" and I had no idea what time it was then all of a sudden he was like "pencils down!" FTW? I circled "c" like crazy and he saw me and he was like" I said pencils down!" Lol it was like that Mr.Bean episode when he took the test....

Oh yeah, and I thought the essay would have nothing to do with health care/pharmacy but this year it was about health care. weird eh?

LOL i know! one of the invigilators even walked up to me and told me to take my wrist watch off in the middle of the test..what the hell and they don't even report the times that frequently. :( oh well..i entered the test room not feeling too confident anyways..the moment the the first essay part was handed out this girl beside me started writing frivolously..i couldn't imagine how someone could have writing diarrhea on a topic like this, (and so early in the test), unless she's kept herself up to date on public health news or something. in which case, good for her! i'm just glad it's over =S

nope. I didn't apply to waterloo, did you? Have you gotten an interview yet?

Also, who here also applied to saskatchewan (be honest, I only saw like 22 ppl writing the test of critical skills with me in T.O. on march 15th). There's like 14 seats at Usask for out of province and like 120 out-of-province applicants....I like those odds!:laugh:

Plus, why don't other fellow applicants respond. I see theres like 270ish viewers but its just me and shunsistoesis posting....come on guys......I can hear you reading this!

cuz prolly only 10% of ppl here are canadians :laugh: this is TOO sad

cuz prolly only 10% of ppl here are canadians :laugh: this is TOO sad

i know.......virtually no one at my school knows about SDN...I wonder how they figure out stuff about med/pharm/grad school processes.....sux to be them i guess

The essay question took me by surprise in a way . . . I don't think I did too well on that section ... oh well >_<.
Funny thing was - I remember bubbling in "C" for the fluid intelligence test section in a hurry when the proctor yelled "put your pencils down" for the second time.

I knew the poster was not an American when I saw the word "invigilator." :laugh:The last time I heard that word was back in my home country. Anyway, good luck to you all. Hope you get into the school you desire.

nope. I didn't apply to waterloo, did you? Have you gotten an interview yet?

Also, who here also applied to saskatchewan (be honest, I only saw like 22 ppl writing the test of critical skills with me in T.O. on march 15th). There's like 14 seats at Usask for out of province and like 120 out-of-province applicants....I like those odds!:laugh:

Plus, why don't other fellow applicants respond. I see theres like 270ish viewers but its just me and shunsistoesis posting....come on guys......I can hear you reading this!

How come you guys didn't also apply to the U of A school? To my knowledge, I don't think there are any out of province restrictions and you don't have to write any exams. I have a couple of classmates from Ontario.

alberta? naw..i realized most of the pharmacy schools outside of ontario needed university level english which i'm too lazy to take.. and plus don't out-of-province applicants need outstanding marks/credentials?

Members don't see this ad :)
The essay question took me by surprise in a way . . . I don't think I did too well on that section ... oh well >_<.
Funny thing was - I remember bubbling in "C" for the fluid intelligence test section in a hurry when the proctor yelled "put your pencils down" for the
second time.

for the last 10 questions i just bubbled in "B" cuz it looked like a lucky letter :laugh:
haha. in a way i'm happy that they're not giving out this test anymore cuz it's so hard to prepare for it. starting to feel like utpat is more and more like a hit-and-miss, and 300$ for this kinda game isn't the way to go

for the last 10 questions i just bubbled in "B" cuz it looked like a lucky letter :laugh:
haha. in a way i'm happy that they're not giving out this test anymore cuz it's so hard to prepare for it. starting to feel like utpat is more and more like a hit-and-miss, and 300$ for this kinda game isn't the way to go

I agree with you! Certain sections are ambiguous about what kind of candidates they are looking for (especially the personality test). I felt unsure and weird after the UTPAT was over. Do you think they'll raise the application fee next year? I had to deprive myself of a lot of things (even good food, bummer) for a while to collect $300.

Hey did you notice a lot of the answers (almost half) were B? Or did I bubble in the wrong answers....:)

How come you guys didn't also apply to the U of A school? To my knowledge, I don't think there are any out of province restrictions and you don't have to write any exams. I have a couple of classmates from Ontario.

Precisely why I didn't apply to U of Albta! All they look at is your gpa so they select the applicants with top 120 GPAs out of all applicants to fill their class (I think their letter of intent is just a means to get lower gpa ppl to apply and send in the app $ b/c it makes it seem like they're not just lookin at gpa) . And I go to U of Toronto......I don't have a 'top' GPA:eek:

Precisely why I didn't apply to U of Albta! All they look at is your gpa so they select the applicants with top 120 GPAs out of all applicants to fill their class (I think their letter of intent is just a means to get lower gpa ppl to apply and send in the app $ b/c it makes it seem like they're not just lookin at gpa) . And I go to U of Toronto......I don't have a 'top' GPA:eek:

what did u need to supplement your application to saskatchewan?

what did u need to supplement your application to saskatchewan?

write a test of critical skills. It was an essay (like UTPAT) and a personal profile which was like a written interview.

If you guys are not feeling too confident this year, do remember to start preparing for the PCAT for next year (since they won't be using the UTPAT from next year onwards). Best of luck to all of you!

LOL i know! one of the invigilators even walked up to me and told me to take my wrist watch off in the middle of the test..what the hell and they don't even report the times that frequently. :( oh well..i entered the test room not feeling too confident anyways..the moment the the first essay part was handed out this girl beside me started writing frivolously..i couldn't imagine how someone could have writing diarrhea on a topic like this, (and so early in the test), unless she's kept herself up to date on public health news or something. in which case, good for her! i'm just glad it's over =S

lol where did you write your test? that sounds scarily like me, but the guy in front of me was like writing an entire plan, and i was like, "how do you have the time for that?!"

Hey all....................how was your UTPAT? I didn't think it was as bad as ppl made it out to be. what about you guys?

Thought the essay questions was alright....really glad they took out the short answers and creative writting part because we got more time for the essay! (definitely needed that...)....i unno...the ethic questions were kinda iffy...didn't really know what they wanted....anybody write their UTPAT at McMurrich? .___o

Best of luck to all of you!

Thought the essay questions was alright....really glad they took out the short answers and creative writting part because we got more time for the essay! (definitely needed that...)....i unno...the ethic questions were kinda iffy...didn't really know what they wanted....anybody write their UTPAT at McMurrich? .___o

Best of luck to all of you!

Hi good luck to you too buddy! And I wrote in sanFleming building.....

Note to all applicants who REALLY REALLY want to be pharmacists and are worried about not getting into U of T this year:

If you don't get in this year why not apply to United Kingdom pharmacy schools? I was about to apply this year for Sept. 2008 admission, but my family was like no its too far so I didn't apply. But if distance is not an issue and money is not an issue (UK schools tuition is like US pharmacy school tuition so about $22,000.00 CAD per year not including living expenses.) why not go for there, b/c its moderately easy for Canadians to get in, even straight from high school. Its just a suggestion b/c I know how impossible it is to get into professional programs here in Canada, and just so you know, in the UK they offer a Masters ofPharm degree not a BPharm. G'luck in whatever you decide guys!:luck:

Note to all applicants who REALLY REALLY want to be pharmacists and are worried about not getting into U of T this year:

If you don't get in this year why not apply to United Kingdom pharmacy schools? I was about to apply this year for Sept. 2008 admission, but my family was like no its too far so I didn't apply. But if distance is not an issue and money is not an issue (UK schools tuition is like US pharmacy school tuition so about $22,000.00 CAD per year not including living expenses.) why not go for there, b/c its moderately easy for Canadians to get in, even straight from high school. Its just a suggestion b/c I know how impossible it is to get into professional programs here in Canada, and just so you know, in the UK they offer a Masters ofPharm degree not a BPharm. G'luck in whatever you decide guys!:luck:

yea..too far and expensive..haha. I thought that international applicants are not really welcomed in general cuz the school thinks you'll go back to your country to practice the profession after you graduate..i dunno..just something i heard.

i remember browsing through personal statement websites to get advice writing my own (for waterloo) and found several ones written by high school students applying to uk pharm schools. they sounded kinda ditsy though (lol..no offense) but it went along the lines of: "i'm good at math and science in high school, and i think these are important subjects in pharmacy studies. For example you need math to be able accurately calculate doses.. "

it's good in a way that the competition here is forcing applicants to get a degree before being admitted to any program (even for nursing at uoft!) because they simply are more mature and expected to be committed to their career decision. but of course, it's also a painful waste of time and money and YOUTH =(

Yea, I heard applying to UK for pharmacy was pretty easy to get into. I know a few friends that got in after their first shot, but didn't go because it was way too expensive. Good if you can afford it I guess...I think you also have to take a course at UT after you graduate from there....not sure though :confused:

I think that the test went really well for me except for a little episode where a neighboring candidate wouldn't lend me a pencil. I guess what they say about u of t students is true...

Best of luck to everyone except the above individual.

So when do they send out offers?

I think that the test went really well for me except for a little episode where a neighboring candidate wouldn't lend me a pencil. I guess what they say about u of t students is true...

:laugh: That's so pathetic and amusing at the same time! I hope people like that don't get in as well.

I got my decision on June 25th last year, so expect it around the same time this year. Best of luck!

Hey that was me!

Just kidding... You just don't know...we U of T students just don't like sharing pencils, because idunno, i guess we have a fear that the person who borrows it may take a little bit of our intelligence for themselves. :]

cuz ppl who go to uoft are fierce competitors.. u know that's true ;)

I hate U of T. I walk in the halls and you see the depressed faces of ppl who just take their backpacks and go to school, knowing they're not getting in to med school/grad school or even teacher's college in some cases b/c of crappy GPAs which is the majority of students. I should have gone to York U or UWO or Brock or any other school for that matter.......

I hate U of T. I walk in the halls and you see the depressed faces of ppl who just take their backpacks and go to school, knowing they're not getting in to med school/grad school or even teacher's college in some cases b/c of crappy GPAs which is the majority of students. I should have gone to York U or UWO or Brock or any other school for that matter.......

And what makes you think York U, UWO and Brock don't have such students? Just out of curiosity.

Every school has their A students, B students, and the list goes on. I went to York but I worked just as hard as the typical U of T student (if not harder!); blaming the system is futile is all I'm saying.

And what makes you think York U, UWO and Brock don't have such students? Just out of curiosity.

Every school has their A students, B students, and the list goes on. I went to York but I worked just as hard as the typical U of T student (if not harder!); blaming the system is futile is all I'm saying.

I sent you a PM. Maybe you'll see it from my perspective.

it's a controversial topic.. i'll try to avoid that =P

My best recommendation (from someone who has gone here for 3 years) is do not go here. Thats it. Just don't. Trust me. Yes to someone up there, its an extremely hard process to apply when you don't know about SDN or don't have any experience in applying to grad schools (I got it down after 2 cycles).

In any case, I know people in the pharmacy program here who regret it and being a student here I can very much see how the pharmacy program will reflect UofT undergrad.

I can't even begin to express how you shouldn't go here but that doesn't matter because ever year the school draws in more and more people with its name.

My best recommendation (from someone who has gone here for 3 years) is do not go here. Thats it. Just don't. Trust me. Yes to someone up there, its an extremely hard process to apply when you don't know about SDN or don't have any experience in applying to grad schools (I got it down after 2 cycles).

In any case, I know people in the pharmacy program here who regret it and being a student here I can very much see how the pharmacy program will reflect UofT undergrad.

I can't even begin to express how you shouldn't go here but that doesn't matter because ever year the school draws in more and more people with its name.

What other choice do people gunning for pharmacy school have in Ontario? The Waterloo school just started this year, and its curriculum is still under construction be honest.

Undergrad at U of T, I feel, is a completely different cup of tea and should not be compared with the faculty of pharmacy at U of T. How about gaining admission into the faculty first and berating it later? I will surely share my experiences in later years if they do match your sentiments. Best of luck.

Oh my god! I had a dream the other night that there was a huge boycott of U of T by students and no one showed up to school an entire semester b/c the students wanted them to change the system. I almost cried when I woke up and saw it was a dream.
Maybe we should protest this crazy system of U of T's ranking/allocating whatever the hell grade they wish to maintain an average of 65%.

Oh my god! I had a dream the other night that there was a huge boycott of U of T by students and no one showed up to school an entire semester b/c the students wanted them to change the system. I almost cried when I woke up and saw it was a dream.
Maybe we should protest this crazy system of U of T's ranking/allocating whatever the hell grade they wish to maintain an average of 65%.

averages tend to go up with your year of study to around mid 70s - so don't worry guys, improved marks may also come with an increased interest in your program. be assured you'll do better in your upper years. btw, what year are you guys in?

What other choice do people gunning for pharmacy school have in Ontario? The Waterloo school just started this year, and its curriculum is still under construction be honest.

Undergrad at U of T, I feel, is a completely different cup of tea and should not be compared with the faculty of pharmacy at U of T. How about gaining admission into the faculty first and berating it later? I will surely share my experiences in later years if they do match your sentiments. Best of luck.

And therein lies the problem, that there are only 2 pharmacy schools in Ontario.

My understanding of UofT pharmacy comes from 4 places:
1.) The students I know in the pharmacy program; PS2s.
2.) A student I know who has graduated the pharmacy program here.
3.) The students I know who are in pharmacology specialist program who are essentially taking the same courses as the pharmacy students.
4.) My experience with U of T professors.

I applied twice but didn't get in; was phased out with UofT's first year organic. I did amazing on the PCATs which made me question UofT's grading system. I understand its a standardized test and as such its supposed to be a bit easier but essentially I think its a better representation of me (and a candidate). Schools try very hard to shape their students' grades the way they want them and I see it around me all the time/openly discussed by professors. I don't want to start getting into it; theres no point.

I'm not sure what year you are coming out of nor do I feel like you should say it because this isn't a discussion about you and/or me lol. Regardless, my sentiments do stand and perhaps yours will change.

I'm in 3rd year Life Science; basically gone through all the rigors. And yes you do better in upper years because the first two years (mainly first though) are meant to get the people out that they don't want in (marks wise mind you, not race or anything lol). I've seen A LOT of very bright people who could've very well been successful doctors, pharmacists, etc. if they weren't subjected to the stresses of the program. This is definitely one of the tougher programs to endure and seeing people in other universities who shouldn't have got past first semester but are still coasting along is troublesome.

Anyways, I'm glad to be getting out this year and attending pharmacy school next year in the states. Yes its very expensive but given the limitedness of whats available here it had to be done.

only a little bit more than 2 weeks until final decisions!
anyone else totally freaking out like me? :eek:

eeek!! its this FRIDAY!
im completely freaking out scared.:scared:

I knew the poster was not an American when I saw the word "invigilator." :laugh:The last time I heard that word was back in my home country. Anyway, good luck to you all. Hope you get into the school you desire.

haha..so what's the american equivalent?

Lol I just registered today just to share my nervousness for the results this upcoming Friday. Ughhh...

anyone have an idea of how many applicants this year?
=( i'm assuming in the 2000's?
friday feels so far away!

Probably more than 2300, my ID was in the high 2200's!

Yeah, can't wait till Friday, it'll put my heart to rest... lolll

if we're looking at student numbers then its definitely over 2300 cuz mine was in the 2300's
thats almost a 1 in 10 chance of getting accepted :confused:
=( i'm not too confident~ so i've already started planning to take the pcats...