Unthsc-tcom class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veraisme

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to get started with our class thread and I can't wait to meet some of my future classmates! :D

Members don't see this ad.

pasting this from another thread... any current TCOM students care to lend some info? (or applicants that are wiser than me?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2452
Thanks to everyone on here for all the information you have provided.

I have put a few questions in order to compare the schools that I am looking at right now. I am sure a lot of them have been answered before, but I just want to put it all together. Thanks in advance to your input.

How often are tests? Are there multiple tests in a designated test week OR is it all one big test every 3 weeks OR is there a test every week?

Are there ever quizzes?

How are students graded in the first and second years?

And in first year and second year, how often did you go to class? Is going to class mandatory? How many people actually go to class?

And do first and second year students get a syllabus with all the material? And if you use a syllabus, does that forgo the need to buy/ use text books?

is there a SCRIBE service? and if so, is it reliable?

Are powerpoints posted online?

How did you study for USMLE/COMLEX Step 1? Any books that you might suggest?

How often are tests?
it varies; usually 1 test every week or two; sometimes 4-5 tests in one week; testing / assessments in general are continuous; there are no finals or midterms

Are there ever quizzes? all the time

How are students graded in the first and second years? Letter grades mainly; a few courses are pass/fail, but your core blocks are letter grades

And in first year and second year, how often did you go to class?
Is going to class mandatory? How many people actually go to class?

some classes are mandatory, others aren't. however, attendance is heavily encouraged if you know what I mean. Some people can get away with it, however, when the seats get too empty the administration will take privileges away from the students.

And do first and second year students get a syllabus with all the material? And if you use a syllabus, does that forgo the need to buy/ use text books?
Only 1 or 2 classes have a syllabus that contains all the material you need. Otherwise, you will using powerpoint presentations, lecture audio, and textbooks to get the information you need.

is there a SCRIBE service? and if so, is it reliable? No scribe service

Are powerpoints posted online? yes, not always in a timely manner though.

How did you study for USMLE/COMLEX Step 1? Any books that you might suggest? varies for each individual; I wouldn't worry about that right now :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for you comments Miss Walrus! :)

YAY! I can't wait for TCOM next year. Congrats to all of you who were accepted! :D When and how are you all finding housing?? Any ROME scholars out there?? HOORAY for TCOM!

Just wanted to wish my future classmates a happy holiday season!

My GPA is 3.76 Biology Major. Yet to take MCAT. Would be applying in fall 2009. Need advice from those who got in. Thanks

I was accepted on 12/19 and will very likely be attending the school. I look forward to meeting all of you! :)

Hook 'em! :horns:

How often are tests? Are there multiple tests in a designated test week OR is it all one big test every 3 weeks OR is there a test every week?

About one every week or two, is correct. You may have two or three (Clinical Medicine, Subject exam, and OMM)

Are there ever quizzes?
Yes there are quizzes and they tend to be very helpful.

How are students graded in the first and second years?
Grading is the same. However, it appears that courses are weighted a bit more 1st year as they are worth more credits.

And in first year and second year, how often did you go to class? Is going to class mandatory? How many people actually go to class?
Most people attend class. Some classes are madatory. CILs, gross lab, Clinical Medicine, OMM, Community Resources, Grand rounds, etc are mandatory.

No we do not have the "all inclusive" memorization syllabus like other schools. We are expected to read the materials assigned (Robbins, Cecils, and core subject texts). Some students however do just memorize previous year's outlines and powerpoints used by professors. I think it was easier to just get by via memorization in 1st year but 2nd year requires more in depth knowledge from the assigned reading. I honestly don't understand why some classmates don't read the texts, isn't that our responsibility?

is there a SCRIBE service? and if so, is it reliable?
We record lectures in MP3 format. Also, depending on your class, you can start a scribe or share notes on our class forum.

Are powerpoints posted online?
Yes, but as the above poster stated, it can be a while. You can access previous years powerpoints with a little digging.

How did you study for USMLE/COMLEX Step 1? Any books that you might suggest?[/QUOTE]

I'm using First Aid, Doctors In Training, and Kaplan. I've used Q-bank and USMLE Rx (by First Aid). I wouldn't worry about buying books until 2nd year (otherwise they will be out of date). You might buy a First Aid book just for reference.

Keep your eyes peeled....we sell our used books for awesome discounts.

:luck:Best of luck!!:luck:

Can anyone (incoming or current student) share more info about the places where clinical rotations are done? I don't remember much about that from my interview day, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to find that info. on the TCOM website.

Thanks.

when the seats get too empty the administration will take privileges away from the students.
This actually made me laugh. Just out of curiosity, what privileges do they take away?

Members don't see this ad :)
This actually made me laugh. Just out of curiosity, what privileges do they take away?

"Due to today's lack of hustle, there will be no lunch."

Cancel recess? Disable internet checkers on everyone's laptop so they can't screw around during class?

In the 2008-2009 TCOM thread, fergutsi mentioned that they stop the audio recordings of the lectures if attendance drops too much. Go to class people! That way I can stay at home :)

Can anyone (incoming or current student) share more info about the places where clinical rotations are done? I don't remember much about that from my interview day, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to find that info. on the TCOM website.

Here's a list that Snowkhat posted in the TCOM c/o 2011 thread over two years ago. Definitely would appreciate any info about the places or updates on the list.

Bay Area Med.Cent: Corpus Christi
Baylor All Saints: Ft.Worth
Brownwood Regional: Brownwood
Christus Spohn: Corpus
Cook Childrens: Fort Worth
Droscoll Childrens: Corpus
Harris Methodist: Ft Worth
JPS: Fort Worth
Mesquite Community: Mesquite
Methodist Charlton: Dallas
Methodist Dallas: Dallas
Plaza: Ft Worth
Terrell State Hospital: Terrell
Texas Tech: Odessa
UT Tyler: Tyler
William Beaumont Army: EL Paso

Here's a list that Snowkhat posted in the TCOM c/o 2011 thread over two years ago. Definitely would appreciate any info about the places or updates on the list.

Bay Area Med.Cent: Corpus Christi
Baylor All Saints: Ft.Worth
Brownwood Regional: Brownwood
Christus Spohn: Corpus
Cook Childrens: Fort Worth
Droscoll Childrens: Corpus
Harris Methodist: Ft Worth
JPS: Fort Worth
Mesquite Community: Mesquite
Methodist Charlton: Dallas
Methodist Dallas: Dallas
Plaza: Ft Worth
Terrell State Hospital: Terrell
Texas Tech: Odessa
UT Tyler: Tyler
William Beaumont Army: EL Paso

You have to be military for this one, and on that token, I believe that Brooke Army Hospital and Wilford Hall (Air Force) in San Antonio would be available.

I also remember them saying something about the hospital in Harlingen and Baptist in Laredo. Could be mistaken, but it's possible.

You have to be military for this one, and on that token, I believe that Brooke Army Hospital and Wilford Hall (Air Force) in San Antonio would be available.

I also remember them saying something about the hospital in Harlingen and Baptist in Laredo. Could be mistaken, but it's possible.

This is the most current list we got from the director of 3rd and 4th years for clerkships. this applies to the class of 2011.

AFFILIATED SITES for CORE CLERKSHIPS

Bay Area Medical Center Corpus Christi*

Conroe Regional Medical Center Conroe*

Driscoll Children’s Hospital Corpus Christi

Dallas Methodist Medical Center Dallas

Harris Methodist – Fort Worth Fort Worth

John Peter Smith Hospital Fort Worth

Methodist Charlton Medical Center Dallas

Plaza Medical Center Fort Worth

San Jacinto Methodist Hospital Baytown*

UT Health Science Center at Tyler Tyler

11/21/08

* Satellite initiatives

I just copied and pasted and now the font is all jacked up and i dont know how to change since im new here.

Id also like to mention something else kinda misleading about grades. To me Letter grades means A, B+ etc. this is not the grading system used here.
You will get a numerical grade for every course (95, 84) etc. If the class is pass/fail, like the bs courses, then obviously you get a p or pr. i forget which is the old designation and which is the new one.

Yeah, the priviliges you get taken away as mentioned above are the lecture recordings are stopped without warning if attendance drops too much. usually the class president will be warned that this may happen and theyll try to relay it to everyone else so that it doesnt happen. Usually most people go to class more than probably 80%. sometimes, if its an 8 am course, and the professor scheduled is below average or the material easy, youll see a greater percentage of missing students. i think the worst i saw was one morning at 8 am we mustve had like 45 students (out of 170 at the time) for a community resources cours (read as , bs waste of my time course). there was one occasion when only about half the class was there on time at 8 am for a clinical lecture from the assistant dean and he was so pissed he reemed us out (even though WE were there) and he stormed of. which was a real shame cause hes a great guy and a great teacher. eventually during the next 15-20 minutes more and more people slowly trickled in and we convinced him to come back. he may have overreacted a bit, but then again it also sucks lecturing to an empty classroom.
Go to class, it usually helps and its never really hurt. Unless youre a second year and its a clin med lecture from Dr. T. in which case youll want to crawl in to a hole and die every monday he is scheduled to lecture to you. but that is a secret surprise/reward for all students who make it to second year (which is only about 90% of you).

Welcome to med school, its too late to turn back now suckas. j/k
its awesome and hard and annoying and rewarding and if you get through it youll be better for it.

Someone asked about comlex prep, in your tuition is included a month long Kaplan Live review course for the comlex. This is not mandatory if you want to study on your own, or you can only attend lectures of the days/topics you want review/help in. as with all kaplan courses you get a copy of their books which are very informative/borderline oppresively inclusive. most people will tell you get first aid for the USMLE step 1. great resource. id add a few others too.
BRS is an excellent series with easy to follow outlines that correlate to your robbins textbook.
baby robbins/robbins Q book, though not board review are must have books too.
I also have first aid cases and Qbook for USMLE step 1. i bought them in the first year and used them throughout. obviously youll see when you start a lot of info doesnt apply to you yet, but some does and they have great ways to remember things as well as itll give you a heads up that something is important and you should probably know it cold before you leave that class.
ok im off to class. congrats to 2013. be prepared to play a girls vs girls football game against 2012 come thanksgiving. its tradition and our girls lost to 2012 this year, so we need you to avenge us (2011).

Wow thanks for all the info. Got some more questions for you. How much time do they give you to prepare for the USMLE, and did you feel it was enough? Also, are the clerkships pretty flexible when the time comes for residency interviews?

Wow thanks for all the info. Got some more questions for you. How much time do they give you to prepare for the USMLE, and did you feel it was enough? Also, are the clerkships pretty flexible when the time comes for residency interviews?

Our final final is May 8th. You schedule your usmle/comlex exams whenever you want but has to be done by june 24th this year. im taking them june 12th and 15th. 5-6 weeks seems to be the norm, and youre expected to begin reviewing before this time. on may 11th, the live kaplan review begins (included in tuition) and held at the school. it is optional to attend, and you can attend some, all or none of it if you want to study on your own. the course runs may 11th-29th. and is usually and all day thing.
Ive already started studying now. We're doing endocrine 2 now, and while studying for the class, im doing all the kaplan Qbank step 1 questions on endocrine, and reading all the board review books on the subject.

Go to the doctorsintraining.com website. this guy puts together a really good 20 week study program, his program participants average a 230 on step 1 (if you dont know thats pretty darn good). a lot of my classmates are taking it ($600). im not paying for it, but i am using his weekly plan of action. if you follow it, youll have read first aid about 3-4 times, 7 other board books 1 time each. have done all the Qbank questions, and have done his review course too. plus he sends weekly emails with his own questions. it sounds like a good program.

I cant answer questions about rotations as im just finishing second year. the site list i posted is what they gave us before we submitted our clerkship rotation selection form.

Can't risk letting this fall off the front page, especially with the match happening Friday... :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to the flood of future classmates :)

Hi guys!!!! I know it's super late but I am a member of the TCOM Class of 2013 and I couldn't be more excited!!! I can't wait to get to know you guys! :D

We really need to get this thread a little more lively! Anyone know when the "spring fling" thing I've heard so much about is going to be? Also, did everyone see the info posted for our class on http://www.hsc.unt.edu/sites/orientation/index.cfm?pageName=DO Orientation this website?
Orientation starts July 20 and white coat ceremony is July 26. Start getting excited!

Congrats to everyone that matched!
Thanks for the link pinky! I can't wait for orientation! There is going to be a class chat coming up sometime this semester too.

Does anyone know about the UNT health insurance? I was looking on the uhcsr.com website but their plans have odd dates of coverage.

Can anyone share with us some information about the biochemistry review course that occurs every year before orientation? Is that going to be in June or at the beginning of July?

THANKS!!

Hello fellow TCOMers. I look forward to meeting all of you. Thanks for all the info. Congrats to all of us.

Man this thread is dead... where is everybody?

Was anyone else ridiculously excited to get that email today??? I pretty much knew all that stuff anyways from searching around their site but it's the first I've heard from them in internet form and it made me really happy!!! :D

Was anyone else ridiculously excited to get that email today??? I pretty much knew all that stuff anyways from searching around their site but it's the first I've heard from them in internet form and it made me really happy!!! :D

Totally :) I liked this part: "You will receive a laptop computer during orientation. Please do not purchase one! (mandatory)"

Any idea what the specs are on that laptop? Can we not just use our own & sell the one they give us?

Totally :) I liked this part: "You will receive a laptop computer during orientation. Please do not purchase one! (mandatory)"

Any idea what the specs are on that laptop? Can we not just use our own & sell the one they give us?

I dunno. I think it's some sort of tablet w/ software on it that we need. I guess maybe if you could get the software and put it on your comp you might be able to bypass the mandatory computer?...unless we HAVE to have the tablet option. I don't really know though, mine's literally falling apart and I need a new one anyways so I'm definitely using what they give us.

I dunno. I think it's some sort of tablet w/ software on it that we need. I guess maybe if you could get the software and put it on your comp you might be able to bypass the mandatory computer?...unless we HAVE to have the tablet option. I don't really know though, mine's literally falling apart and I need a new one anyways so I'm definitely using what they give us.

I was reading (somewhere) that IT will have a mirror of each students laptop with all of the programs that they want you to have. So, if it goes haywire, they can restore it for you. As for specs, I don't know. I would love to see what the 2012 kids got.

Does anyone know if we will need a PDA next year? I think I read somewhere about required software for a PDA but i cant for the life of me remember.

Any help would be appreciated

Does anyone know if we will need a PDA next year? I think I read somewhere about required software for a PDA but i cant for the life of me remember.

Yes, you will. A PDA is required, and they will provide you with a key for the required software.

I kinda hope that there is some iphone compatibility for the PDA requirement. I'm thinking about getting it this weekend but have been reserved due to this "PDA requirement"

I kinda hope that there is some iphone compatibility for the PDA requirement. I'm thinking about getting it this weekend but have been reserved due to this "PDA requirement"

As long as it can run Epocrates, I think you're good to go. I would call the school and check out the Epocrates site. I got a BB Storm and Epocrates won't be out until later this spring for storm, but it should be in time for school. I think with an Iphone, you would be good. As long as it supports the software they want, then it will be fine.

Hey guys, I'm a medical sciences masters student (i.e. post-bac) at UNTHSC. Concerning the PDA, I believe there is a specific required PDA for use during rotations. If you're thinking of getting an iPhone, I suggest you contact someone at the school about the specific requirements.

Congrats, everyone! TCOM's a great place.

Hello, future classmates;)

I have researched the PDA stuff and there is information about which products were supported last year. Here is a flyer about what TCOM used last year:
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/newstudents/documents/pdaflyer08.pdf

Additionally, I was doing research into what PDAs support epocrates and the epocrates website says that it does not have software for anything other than what is on last years list. I am not that knowledgeable on PDAs but I am hesistant to buy anything that is not on TCOMs list because I don't want to purchase a second compatible PDA. I would be grateful to find out is on TCOMs list for Fall 2009.

Thanks.
April

Thanks nerdqueen for the PDA info. Been trying to find some info to that nature. Apparently we just need something epocrates essential compatible. THerefore i am very happy with my purchase of the iphone this weekend since epocrates essential is now on the iphone thanks to Apple releasing the SDK for it. :D....I cannot take my hands off of it lol i think i'mma fail my test tuesday because of it heh

Thanks nerdqueen for the PDA info. Been trying to find some info to that nature. Apparently we just need something epocrates essential compatible. THerefore i am very happy with my purchase of the iphone this weekend since epocrates essential is now on the iphone thanks to Apple releasing the SDK for it. :D....I cannot take my hands off of it lol i think i'mma fail my test tuesday because of it heh

ooo yay glad to hear about the iphone! I am getting one in a couple months when my verizon contract ends!

I'm looking for a female roommate for next year to get an apartment with. If anyone is interested, PM me!

pinky, i dunno if you're on facebook but theres a tcom 2013 group and there's a girl on there looking for a roommate.

pinky, i dunno if you're on facebook but theres a tcom 2013 group and there's a girl on there looking for a roommate.

No I'm not on facebook anymore...I got too addicted and started facebook stalking all my friends instead of studying! lol so I haven't been back on since...but i'll try and reactivate my account to get in touch with her. Thanks!!
btw mgirl- it would still be cool to live next to each other. I've just come to the realization that I don't think I can live by myself lol...I'm a baby I know. But if you happen to need somewhere to live for the whole year instead of just a semester keep me in mind!

Hello possible future classmates! I was accepted to TCOM and have since also been accepted to AZCOM. If any of you know about both schools, I would appreciate some outside/objective insight into why TCOM is better. I'm trying to do yet another pro and con list and any help is greatly appreciated! Congrats to all that have made it in so far!

Would it help out an applicant who is only applying to TCOM, but knows that they most likely don't have a chance applying EDP, to go ahead and apply EDP to help out their application in the general applicant pool?

Would it help out an applicant who is only applying to TCOM, but knows that they most likely don't have a chance applying EDP, to go ahead and apply EDP to help out their application in the general applicant pool?

I'm not sure honestly. The only thing I know about EDP at other schools I've applied to is that if you have amazing stats, LORs, research and experiences should you apply EDP because those are the most competitive people. There are less EDP spots available as well. However, I'm not sure how TCOM deals with the applicants that apply EDP and don't get in EDP. It may give you an upperhand in the regular pool of applicants...anyone else know more about that? You can always call the admissions office if you don't get any other answers. Good luck!

How are students graded in the first and second years? Letter grades mainly; a few courses are pass/fail, but your core blocks are letter grades

That's actually not true. At UNTHSC-TCOM, your grades are all numerical, 0-100, with a 70 as the minimum passing score. Your numeric grade is used to calculate class rank. There is one pass/fail course, and that is your board review course.

Its never too early to start looking at USMLE/COMLEX materials. It is too early to start worrying about it at this point. I suggest First Aid for USMLE Step 1; and for your first year follow along for each course. Generally, it won't help you score better on the course exams, but it will help you identify the topics that will be important going forward. It is always easier to remind yourself of something you already know than to learn it at the 11th hour for the first time.

Best wishes!