UNTHSC MS Med Sci Program 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got email today cgpa 3.4 mcat is 30, submitted everything like 1 day before deadline, hope to see more of u noobs there

Hope to see you too ****er

Behold, two future doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
idk anything about being a future doctor, im only here for the bottles and models

but seriously though hope everyone here hears back soon because yall have been super supportive to each other

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The facebook group is now at 79. I don't know whether to be excited that they are handing out acceptances now or nervous that the spots are filling up and I haven't heard anything!!

First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS to all those accepted!!!! You're one step closer to your goal so I wish you nothing but the best. :)

That said, I am so frustrated. I submitted my application early February and the portal was updated on March 13. There are some who submitted their application much later than I did and are accepted. Now I truly believe that all those accepted, including those that submitted their application really close to the deadline, deserve their acceptance. They have great MCAT scores and/or gpa and it can be safe to assume, an application that stood out.

I'm annoyed, however, because I've been holding on to this little ray of hope that maybe....just maybe I'll receive an email. It feels as if my application was skipped and since that isn't possible, leaves me with two options: 1. I'm waitlisted or 2. I'm rejected. I just want to know. Like many others still waiting, I not only have to relocate (with a cat, that will be a fun drive) but I'll also need a job. Luckily my current employer and my landlord are amazing-I don't have to give a 2 weeks notice and though my lease technically ended last month, I've been given additional time to renew it.

*sigh* I'm sorry for bringing down the morale. The good news is that admissions are being handed out what seems like everyday now and tomorrow is a Friday so I know that many of you still waiting are bound to hear some good news and hopefully so will I!

Last edited:
Stay positive! When I spoke with the office on the phone they mentioned what a large backlog they had and how slowly they were getting through it.

Reactions: 1 user
Received this via email today! :(

Thank you for your interest in graduate studies at University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth. We have completed the evaluation of your application for admission into the Medical Sciences program. As you know, admission to graduate school is a highly competitive process and we are unable to admit every applicant due to a limited number of seats available. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you admission at this time.

Your application materials will remain on file in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences for one year. Should you decide to reapply for Summer 2015, please contact our office by e-mail ([email protected]) for instructions. We strongly recommend that you pursue action to improve your credentials in order to be competitive for Summer 2015 admission.

If you would like to make an appointment to discuss how you can improve your qualifications to reapply to our program, we are more than happy to meet with you. We offer file review appointments in the month of June. This is partly due to the workload in our office, but also to allow you time to register for the fall semester at another university for any recommended course work.

Ah, that stinks. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I hate hearing about people getting rejected, even if you're in direct competition for a particular thing.

Are you up for sharing your stats? Definitely understandable if you aren't.

Chip up, friend. A buddy who wasn't accepted last year said that talking to the admission adviser helped improve her application. She's now been accepted to Baylor: Class of 2018.

Do you have a back up plan?

Last edited:
Not a problem.

Science GPA: 2.95
Overall GPA: 3.28
MCAT: 27

I plan to retake my MCAT this fall and reapply to medical schools next year.

Any advice on what I can do to improve my application? :(

Not a problem.

Sorry to hear about the email! How is your clinical experience? Maybe you can focus on that aspect this coming year if it is lacking. If not, definitely try and take some science courses to increase that gpa. Best of luck!

Sorry to hear about the email! How is your clinical experience? Maybe you can focus on that aspect this coming year if it is lacking. If not, definitely try and take some science courses to increase that gpa. Best of luck!

I initially applied to this program to help my GPA. I heard that taking undergraduate courses after college only gets you so far..so I was really hoping that this program could boost up my GPA, even though they're calculated separately.

In regards to my clinical experience, I shadowed/worked under a primary care physician for two years, so I think I got that part down!

I really thought I had a good chance of getting in since students in the previous years got accepted into the program with 18-22s on their mcat :(

Not a problem.

I once heard if you want advice on how to be a millionaire then ask a millionaire. I'm not one nor am I accepted, at this point.
With that being said I personally believe that if you are asking it isn't for the most obvious answers like study and retake the MCAT (which you probably should) or take graduate level science courses.
I think the admissions committee for this program wants to be inspired and touched emotionally. However keep in mind they are probably very logical people.
Okay now I'm getting to the point.
Your answers to the questions in the application. It shouldn't be rushed. It should be done with the aid of a ceeative wriiting expert. It needs to be reviewed. Be honest with yourself and ask if it sounds fake. BUT IT MUST inspire! People want to be apart of making a deserving person's dream come true.

Lastly, verify with the UNTHSC that your LORs reflected you in a positive manner. I wouldn't assume they did. Try to get as much info from the school as possible from this.

Be positive and maybe even look into starting podiatry school if you are tired of this back and forth scenario.
FYI podiatric surgeons are not DOs or MD.
Shadow one and it will help you make a better decision.
Again my stats
MCAT 22
GPA 3.4 & 3.4
I could have tried harder now I have to do a penalty year in a way.

Good luck and remember any path you choose will be the right one in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a problem.

Aside from the obvious (raise GPA, raise MCAT), it couldn't hurt to get more community service in, medically related or not. And yeah, it definitely feels like one is stuck in a loop when you're trying to raise your GPA by applying to this kind of program, and you don't get in.

I think I would pursue a DIY post-bacc - go back to your undergraduate institution, and take some difficult sciences you might not have taken in your 4 or so years there - Microbio, Ana/Physio, Biochem, Immuno, etc. Or you could try applying for the Fall semesters of various other programs like these, at other schools. Strictly talking Texas, I know A&M has one in their College of Veterinary Medicine (don't worry, it's not just for pre-vet students), and I know Texas Tech has a 2-year program, that might not be as appealing (considering it's 2 years).

tl;dr - exhaust your options. Go back to your undergrad and inquire about taking/retaking some hard science courses. Or apply for the fall semesters of various programs in Texas. Get some good, solid extra-currics in, and your app will be stronger for it.

Not a problem.

Though I also have not heard anything yet, I can give some examples of what I've done. 2 years ago I was in a much worse situation. Gpa < 3.0 and 20 mcat. I knew neither would get me into an SMP program so I started a Masters program in Biology. Granted, I did it knowing I love studying neuroscience and research/Neuro is something I want to pursue in med school. I came out with 2 years of good grades, research and teaching experience. I think this is an option, BUT ONLY if you know you really enjoy your program and not just using it as a means to an end. I also retook my MCAT, of course. I honestly didn't feel it's be productive to retake undergrad courses and waste 2 years. Today I love neuro even more and know teaching/research is something I will continue. It's important to just analyze what you want and regardless of what you do from here on out, do something you'll enjoy!!!

Anyone hear anything today???

If anybody can get ahold of Jessica I would like an update on a few questions. She won't answer her phone. Errrrr!

How many people total applied?
How many acceptances have been sent out?
How many of the total people who have applied have heard back in the form of a rejection, waitlist, or acceptance?
When do they anticipate having all acceptances decided?

For the lucky few so far who have actually heard something good or bad, around what time did you receive news? Some people are saying 2 on Fridays and others are saying any weekday. Some are finding out around 6 or later. I am just trying to see what the possibilities are. Thanks for your time and good luck.

For the lucky few so far who have actually heard something good or bad, around what time did you receive news? Some people are saying 2 on Fridays and others are saying any weekday. Some are finding out around 6 or later. I am just trying to see what the possibilities are. Thanks for your time and good luck.

I think they're starting to ramp up decision making, so anyone can hear any day now. It used to be just every Friday afternoon - now, I think it's quite unpredictable.

How many of the total people who have applied have heard back in the form of a rejection, waitlist, or acceptance?

I called day before yesterday and received the standard blanket response. "I cannot disclose that information. We're starting the waistlist 'soon.' We don't delay on rejections. An email is sent is if someone is rejected."

*sighing intensifies*

I'm sorry that they're keeping you all waiting this long. The bright side is that you all will be desensitized when it comes to the cycle. Medsci is done so now I'm waiting for TCOM to decide if I'm worthy or not.

As someone from inside the group, an admin posted earlier today that if there were any of us who had not yet officially accepted their seat (which, apparently is the case for some of us in the facebook group?) they needed to do so ASAP because they want to start moving to release seats to the waitlist soon.

Whether or not this is a waitlist of people who have received a message explicitly telling them they are waitlisted or merely a list of people on whose applications no final decision was reached, I'm not sure. But don't lose hope! It looks like they're trying to move as fast as they can to get to y'all!

As someone from inside the group, an admin posted earlier today that if there were any of us who had not yet officially accepted their seat (which, apparently is the case for some of us in the facebook group?)!

Has anyone replied "no, I'm not accepting the seat?"

No, no one's publicly denied their seat. But if it's any consolation, there are less than 90 people in the group right now. Assuming the class will be the same size as last year's, that means there are still around a hundred seats left, right?

Has anyone received an email stating that they are on a wait list?

I'm still wondering as how a waitlist will be started soon if there are still 100 seats left???? Shouldn't they be filled first? I wish we weren't in the dark.

I'm still wondering as how a waitlist will be started soon if there are still 100 seats left???? Shouldn't they be filled first? I wish we weren't in the dark.

My thought exactly...

Anyone else freaking out about housing? I'll have to move from over 5 hours away, and I'm worried all the apartments will be filled up/no room mates to be found....

Anyone else freaking out about housing? I'll have to move from over 5 hours away, and I'm worried all the apartments will be filled up/no room mates to be found....

I think most of us are still freaking out about if we're going to be accepted or not, lol.

there is plenty of affordable apartments in FW, that should not be a problem. Roommates I don't really know about, but you shouldn't have trouble finding a place especially if you have transportation to and from school.

I'm sorry that they're keeping you all waiting this long. The bright side is that you all will be desensitized when it comes to the cycle. Medsci is done so now I'm waiting for TCOM to decide if I'm worthy or not.

Did you only apply to TCOM? If not, when did you apply and how did you update your application schools with your med sci grades? I just curious how you show your success in the program, during an application cycle.

Does the HSC not have student housing / dormitories?

Did you only apply to TCOM? If not, when did you apply and how did you update your application schools with your med sci grades? I just curious how you show your success in the program, during an application cycle.

I applied to TMDSAS and in it you have to put that you're in the medsci program. I can't remember if it was in the summer or early fall but you have to turn in a form basically allowing TCOM to look at your grades. So they'll be able to see any grade that you have, or at least that's what I was lead to beleieve.

Since at least 100 more people are yet to be accepted, I'm pretty sure everyone will be looking for roommates so I don't think that will be a huge issue. But, of course, WE'VE GOT TO GET ACCEPTED FIRST!!!

I will be declining my acceptance here to attend another program oos, hope one of y'all get it!

My friend that applied to the program got rejected on Friday. No email was sent, just a red 'X' for admission status.....

I think more acceptances are rolling out today since the fb group has increased to 93. I'm tempted to call Jessica whether all apps have been reviewed, but also don't want to annoy her. :/ I wish she'd send out a mass email to all of us answering the same qu we all have.

Here's an update from Jessica: 110 spots have been filled, with around 50 more offers that they haven't heard back from. They have not finished reviewing all apps and she doesn't know when they will be finished, but they are definitely going faster now. She didn't know the number of applications left to be reviewed.

My app was submitted March 10, complete about a week later due to transcript issues and she said my app was just sent for review.

Hope this helps you guys!

Do they review it by when you submit the application or when the status on the portal changes to complete?

I was told "The committee should be making a final decision on your file soon." That was a little over a month ago.

Do they review it by when you submit the application or when the status on the portal changes to complete?

I was told "The committee should be making a final decision on your file soon." That was a little over a month ago.

I was under the impression that they reviewed based on when your payment was received, but I could be wrong. It seems that there are other people who were told that their file was under review over a month ago and still haven't heard back. At least you haven't been rejected yet since they don't delay in giving out rejections! That's always a good sign.

Just received the email! Accepted! See everyone in a few weeks!

Still a green soulless dot over here. Happy Cinco de Mayo :-/

Alright, I got a rejection letter at 3:15, which means it's good news for the rest of you! (I think?)

I got accepted into LECOM's post bac program.

Congrats! Why LECOM over this program? Are you closer to PA than you are TX?