UNTHSC MS Med Sci Program 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, is it true that the accecptance rate to medical school is 100% for those who graduate from this program with a 3.5 GPA or above? I read 100% of those students get into medical school, is that true? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, is it true that the accecptance rate to medical school is 100% for those who graduate from this program with a 3.5 GPA or above? I read 100% of those students get into medical school, is that true? Thank you

No, that is not true. Granted doing well in this program does look good on your application, especially to Texas schools. When they look at applicants to the MedSci program, they only accept students who they think are already med-school worthy. What most of us lack in is either a low GPA or a low MCAT score. What the program does is give us the opportunity to show medical schools that we're capable of handling the workload of a med school student and have the capability to pass our boards.

That being said, I do not know what last year's average GPAs were. I do know that 70% of students who did apply got into medical schools while in this program. I think that was the stats that they gave us this year. I also know that students applied widely to various medical schools in the U.S. As far as this year's MedSci, several of my friends have already interviewed at various medical schools and a lot more of us will probably be interviewed before match day.

No, that is not true. Granted doing well in this program does look good on your application, especially to Texas schools. When they look at applicants to the MedSci program, they only accept students who they think are already med-school worthy. What most of us lack in is either a low GPA or a low MCAT score. What the program does is give us the opportunity to show medical schools that we're capable of handling the workload of a med school student and have the capability to pass our boards.

That being said, I do not know what last year's average GPAs were. I do know that 70% of students who did apply got into medical schools while in this program. I think that was the stats that they gave us this year. I also know that students applied widely to various medical schools in the U.S. As far as this year's MedSci, several of my friends have already interviewed at various medical schools and a lot more of us will probably be interviewed before match day.

Oh ok thank you very much. if you don't mind me asking, what percentage of students who got a high GPA (3.8) in the program got rejected from medical school? I have read that Texas med schools look favorably upon the program, if you get a high GPA in the program, say 3.8, and above 31 on MCAT, what are the chances of being rejected from a Texas program? Thank you.

The program says that around 100% with 3.5 or above got accepted, so they were lying or something? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok thank you very much. if you don't mind me asking, what percentage of students who got a high GPA (3.8) in the program got rejected from medical school? I have read that Texas med schools look favorably upon the program, if you get a high GPA in the program, say 3.8, and above 31 on MCAT, what are the chances of being rejected from a Texas program? Thank you.

The program says that around 100% with 3.5 or above got accepted, so they were lying or something? Thank you.

I don't know where you are getting 100% from, but nowhere does it say that on the website. Doing well in this program is not a guarantee into medical school. But if you get a 3.8 in the program and above 31 on the MCAT, there's a good chance you'll get in somewhere in Texas as long as you do well in your interviews.

I don't know where you are getting 100% from, but nowhere does it say that on the website. Doing well in this program is not a guarantee into medical school. But if you get a 3.8 in the program and above 31 on the MCAT, there's a good chance you'll get in somewhere in Texas as long as you do well in your interviews.

Oh ok thank you. Here is where I got 100% from,. the program person says everyone with a 3.5 or above gets in, so they are lying?

http://healthcare.dmagazine.com/2013/03/27/unthsc-masters-program-a-hoop-of-fire-to-med-school/

The only stats they have given us was that a certain percentage of the people who applied last year got into medical school. They don't tell us what their GPAs were. The 70% encompasses EVERYONE who applied to medical school, both those who did well and those who didn't. But I'm sure people who did well in the program (>3.5) got in somewhere. You got to remember they probably applied broadly too (not just Texas). If Dr. Gwirtz says that nearly everyone who did well got into medical school, then that's true.

Last edited:
But I'm sure people who did well in the program (>3.5) got in somewhere. You got to remember they probably applied broadly too (not just Texas). If Dr. Gwirtz says that nearly everyone who did well got into medical school, then that's true.

Oh ok thank you that is good to know. I see you got into the program, i hope it works out for you!

Oh ok thank you that is good to know. I see you got into the program, i hope it works out for you!

Yea no problem! If you're looking at a good post-bacc program, I recommend applying to this one. It's definitely an eye-opener into what med school is going to be like, and the faculty really cares about their MedSci students. Good luck on all your endeavors.

Yea no problem! If you're looking at a good post-bacc program, I recommend applying to this one. It's definitely an eye-opener into what med school is going to be like, and the faculty really cares about their MedSci students. Good luck on all your endeavors.

Thank you friend. I plan to apply to the program, as it seems to be the most respected in Texas. I'm going to take the MCAT in december and apply. Thank you again!

So for those of you currently enrolled MedSci lurkers who still read this thread, I received this email from Caroline today after asking her about the admissions committee now that our Fall 2014 grades have been posted.
I do not know exactly when your committee will meet, as there have been recent changes to the committee schedules. They can opt to wait until the spring to review the Medical Science applications.
You are welcome to call our office as late as December 23rd to check the status of your application.

Is anyone applying for the Med Sci program for summer 2015?

Reactions: 1 users