UNSOM Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Climberak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I won't be joining you all in the fall, I thought I'd start the thread anyways. Congrats everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I got a certified letter in the mail friday but I wasn't home. I checked it today at the post office. Here's to UNSOM CLASS OF 2013!

Last edited:
I just sent in my acceptance materials... I can't wait to med school at UNSOM! This last semester of undergrad is going to go by so slow... Go c/o 2013!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent in my acceptance last week, most likely going to attend. Where you guys from? Anyone from reno, that knows of good places to live near the school?

Sent in my acceptance last week, most likely going to attend. Where you guys from? Anyone from reno, that knows of good places to live near the school?

I'm originally from Vegas, but I'm completing my undergrad in Iowa. I'm also looking for a place to live... Won't be able to visit Reno until the summer, so hopefully something will turn out.

I just received a certified letter today, but I wasn't home. Unless someone is playing tricks, I will be joining you in Reno!

No, it is official. I just checked my messages, and I had a message from my faculty interviewer Dr. Neyland. I am in! I can't wait. =)

Being a Reno resident, I can tell you that one of the best places to live is the Rancho San Rafael Townhomes North of the university. They often rent at decent prices around $400-600 a room (rough estimate). They have 2-3 rooms with 2.5 baths and a central living area with kitchen, 1-2 car garage, and laundry facilities. It's also a good community with pretty strict noise rules. (In two years living there I have only had 1 night to complain about and the issue was resolved nearly immediately.)

There are other options out there as well, if you wanted to go cheaper the University Apartments might be an option (See http://www.reslife.unr.edu/familyhousing.html). There are several other off campus apartments including those listed at this site: http://www.reslife.unr.edu/och/info.asp. (I would personally avoid The Highlands like the plague however, party central and really bad maintenance.) Cant really speak for any of the other apartments as I havent seen many of them. The university also has a general board listing some housing opportunities at this site and there are plenty of decent (but old) houses with rooms for rent near the university as well.

Feel free to private message me if you have a question regarding the nearby area and Ill try to help if I can.

Congrats to those of you that got in already. I received a letter in January and will be moving up to Reno from Vegas. Anyone else excited yet :eek: Thanks for the housing recommendations too........ Anyone else moving up from Vegas?

See you all soon... :smuggrin:

Congrats to those of you that got in already. I received a letter in January and will be moving up to Reno from Vegas. Anyone else excited yet :eek: Thanks for the housing recommendations too........ Anyone else moving up from Vegas?

See you all soon... :smuggrin:

I'll be moving up from Vegas, too. Have no idea where I'm going to live, yet... But I'm hella excited to get started!

I will be moving up from Vegas also. I am planning on going up to Reno over spring break to check out places to live. Are there any recommendations on hotel accommodations during my visit?

Thanks DocWhite for the housing info,

Ill be moving to reno from seattle, hopefully in June sometime. I am hella excited to be done with undergrad and get started with med school, these last few months are dragging on.

Any HPSP'er in the group?

Hey, do any of you know if rejections or waitlists arrive certified? I just got the certified notice in the mail today (Saturday) and cannot pick up until Monday. ARGH!

Thanks DocWhite for the housing info,

Ill be moving to reno from seattle, hopefully in June sometime. I am hella excited to be done with undergrad and get started with med school, these last few months are dragging on.

Any HPSP'er in the group?

I am applying for the Army HPSP. Going down to BAMC next week to complete my physical. My app should go up to boards in April.

Hey, do any of you know if rejections or waitlists arrive certified? I just got the certified notice in the mail today (Saturday) and cannot pick up until Monday. ARGH!

As far as I know, they only send acceptances as certified mail. The same thing happened to me in January... I received the notice on Saturday and I couldn't pick up the package until Monday. Definitely the longest weekend of my life...

Evidently they also send waitlist notifications certified.

Hey all,

So i just got back from visiting reno and im wondering if anyone wants to room up together? I know its still early, but i thought i would offer it up to the forum first. I would perfer to live with another med student or a grad student.

Im thinking of living in a fairly nice apartment in the northwest region of the valley, in a 2 bed 2 bath. I think that rent and all utilities will run about 550 to 575 per month each. The places that i looked at were like a 5 to 10 minutes drive from the school, they are in a great location and easy access to the school.

If anyone is interested please PM me and we can talk more.

They send everything certified. I have 3 certified rejections to prove it.

Hey everyone. I just found this forum and am glad to see that UNSOM class of 2013 is already buzzing. I got in a few months back and am really excited to meet all of you in August.

Anyone know the chances of being admitted as an OOS applicant if you got into the top 1/3 as of 5/7? Steiner? Anyone know if there is a seperate waitlist for OOS applicants?