Unofficial WAMC Thread Psychiatry Residency 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My guess: An application “build” based on a high Step 1 is too overpowered; a defensive application based on Extracurriculars (EC) needs a relative power boost

YMMV tremendously, but my application last year was 24x/25x, no red flags but perhaps generic/weak LORs and low ECs, applied 45 programs and got 8 interviews and failed to match

There's a million factors at play though. Didn't apply to many "safety" programs (w/e that means) maybe about 25% of my apps. Maybe I'm a horrible interviewer too lmao

Members don't see this ad.

YMMV tremendously, but my application last year was 24x/25x, no red flags but perhaps generic/weak LORs and low ECs, applied 45 programs and got 8 interviews and failed to match

There's a million factors at play though. Didn't apply to many "safety" programs (w/e that means) maybe about 25% of my apps. Maybe I'm a horrible interviewer too lmao
So what did you do in the interim?

So what did you do in the interim?

More rotations at diff places to get stronger LORs
Working on a research thing, unfortunately rejected 1st submission but about to submit 2nd time
Rotating through a less competitive field to get LORs for that field, as I'll be dual applying next cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
More rotations at diff places to get stronger LORs
Working on a research thing, unfortunately rejected 1st submission but about to submit 2nd time
Rotating through a less competitive field to get LORs for that field, as I'll be dual applying next cycle
I don't know you at all but it sounds like working on interviewing would potentially also be high-yield. The other alternative is that your "generic-weak" LORs really were "generic-weak", which IS a red flag in your application (that you couldn't get anyone to write you a good LOR), hopefully your rotations pay off in that regard.

I don't know you at all but it sounds like working on interviewing would potentially also be high-yield. The other alternative is that your "generic-weak" LORs really were "generic-weak", which IS a red flag in your application (that you couldn't get anyone to write you a good LOR), hopefully your rotations pay off in that regard.

I've definitely been working/will continue to work on interviewing. Apparently I come off as extremely robotic and rehearsed when I'm nervous (which is, unfortunately, almost all the time during interviews...sigh)

Chance me please, need guidance as to where to apply. ERAS coming soon and getting nervous:
Stats- low 220s step 1, low 230s step 2.
Good/ above average LORs. Some ECs and volunteering, not really psych related. Ongoing research project, no pubs or posters from it though yet (started late).
All Passes last year (~50% of the people in a rotation at our school) but MSPE is looking to have some great comments in there. Never was the best test taker—-probably shelf brought me down?
Did 2 psych electives, got good comments from those (they were P/F tho).
USMD from NE looking to go anywhere. I know this stuff is getting competitive. Am I in the threshold to have to dual apply?

If anyone would be kind enough to give some guidance, I'd be very grateful. I'm currently planning to apply to about 150 programs, predominently in my home state/state of school, home program, programs where I did research and rotated/will rotate. Not asking for an exhaustive list by any means, but if anyone has suggestions per the questions I list at the end, I'd be extremely appreciative!

Comlex 1: 478
Comlex 2CE: 503
Comlex 2PE: not back yet
No USMLE
School: DO, 2020
Class Rank: either 3rd quartile or 4th quartile

Pre-clinical: mostly HP with a few H and a few P. No failures.

Clinical Grades: 2 H, 1 P, all rest are HP. Have multiple, detailed extremely positive evals (namely Psych and IM) with the rest being either above average but short and positive, and a few relatively standard/average.

Research/ Publications:
- 2 publications (including 1 in psych at an Ivy med school/hospital with someone from their psych department, both 1st author)
- 6 presentations (1 oral presentation in psych, 1 poster in psych at APA, rest are a mix) - 1st author on all posters except 1 (in a different field)

Extracurriculars: a lot of volunteering over a 10 year span, likely in the 2000s in terms of total hours, about 300 during medical school, involvement in school's psych club.

Military: former military with honorable discharge

LORs: Have 3 psych LoRs already including department chair who knows me and I rotated with. All letters are from clinical preceptors.

Bonus: psychology undergrad.

Sub-i's: completing 2 sub-i's, but both are after submitting ERAS and before interview season is really underway - will be done with 2nd at the beginning of November.

TLDR: Veteran, DO student with subpar Level 1 with some improvement for Level 2. Psych interest is demonstrated. I am from the NE and go to school in the NE but also have connections/ties in a few other east coast states including 2 aways in other states.

- How many programs should I apply to?
- Shoulder I apply to a backup?
- What programs would you suggest for reach programs?
- Do you have any safety net programs you'd suggest?
- Are there any programs in particular I should NOT apply to besides maybe some of the obvious ones that require USMLE or something?

Thank you, and good luck to everyone!

Any input?

Hey all! Hoping to get some advice on how many programs to apply to and how to best research programs to make sure I'm not applying to ones I'll get automatically rejected from (lol). The main advice I'm getting from others is to make sure I have 10-12 ranked to get that golden 95% match rate.

Is there a specific resource I should be looking to see the ranking of programs? I'm not pressed on going to a big name program but I am a bit concerned with the increasing competitiveness in psychiatry and I do have a preference for big cities/coastal cities.

Step 1: 20x - Primarily concerned about this.. I worked hard to get my Step 2 up but still worried this will be seen as a red flag (I did pass on first try).
Step 2 CK: 24x
Step 2 CS: passed
School: 2020 MD/East coast/mid tier?

Class Rank: 2nd quartile for clinical years, we don't rank for preclinical
Clerkship Grades:
Honor: Psychiatry, FM, Peds, OBGYN
High Pass: Surgery
Pass: IM, Neuro

Research/ Publications: 1 abstract/poster presentation (3rd author) on opioids and hormone effects (kinda psych related with the opioids but not really)

Extracurriculars: Lots of mentoring throughout college and med school. Nothing extremely psych related or cool.

LORs: 2 from psychiatry attendings, 1 from FM private practice attending, 1 from IM attending. Another IM attending I worked with very graciously offered to write me one so I took him up on the offer, so I'll have to decide which 3-4 LORs to send to programs.

Personal Statement: Not too happy with this.. Looking to maybe rewrite it in the next few days. I think ultimately in the end I'll have something clean/concise/but rather boring..

TLDR: If I want to be in a big city (but not necessarily top program) how many programs should I be thinking about? How can I best research what types of programs I should be applying to with my stats? Mostly worried about my low step 1 score and my personal statement that will probably be lackluster.

What about the personal statement will be lackluster? I’m just a student but I found it helpful to re-write my first draft paragraph by paragraph. I pulled each paragraph over into a separate document and I came out with something I was much happier with.

So I realize I’m probably a stronger applicant but wondering how that should influence where I apply

Step 1: 263
Step 2 CK: 269
Step 2 CS: Pass on 1st attempt
School: mid tier MD school in NE US
Class Rank: top 25%
Elected into AOA
Honors in all 3rd year clerkships, honors In medicine subI and I have one other honors from a psych outpatient rotation. No other grades back yet.
Awards: Elected into pathology honors society, academic award for performance in medical genetics

LORs:
-my third year preceptor in psych at a rural community hospital
-my preceptor on my outpatient psych elective as a fourth year who is well known
-well known forensic psychiatrist from my away
-medicine subI attending

Research: one pub from summer between 1st and 2nd yr in liver disease and obesity. one poster from college. 1000 hours of neuroscience research from college (different from the research in Med school), but sadly our paper was just rejected and my PI isn’t submitting another one soon

ECs:
-EM club president (changed my specialty obvs lol)
-coordinated a health outreach clinic in a rough neighborhood
-tutored in anatomy 2nd year
-student interviewer for med school admissions my first year

Goals: want to match at a top program, preferably in the south but also applying Harvard, Penn, etc in the NE.
Questions:
1) for programs requiring three letters, should I send 3 in psych or 2 in psych and 1 in medicine
2) I want to match in the south, but have no connections there other than 1 away in Georgia. Will I get invites without connections?
3) will mid tier programs not interview me because I am a strong applicant? (Have heard of this being an issue)
4) what are my chances at a tippity top program? I do not go to a big name med school
5) how many programs should I apply to?

Guys I am not worried about not matching, so before my anyone dumps on me for seeking advice....
I just want to know what I should expect.
I think I was probably a similar applicant to you in overall strength (similar numbers, lower ranked within my class but a more name brand school).

I did get interviews in the south without having connections. However, you may want to email the programs you're most interested in if they start to invite people and you don't get one.

Your non-psych letter should go to all programs; I don't remember any programs not allowing four letters. I sent four letters to every program.

Yes, mid-tier programs not offering you an interview while higher ranked/more name brand programs do can be a thing. However I got plenty of interviews up and down the competitiveness scale. I suspect an email would have shaken loose some of those interviews if I'd been really invested in them but I didn't end up feeling the need.

The 'tipptiy top' programs generally won't take DOs or IMGs but if you go to a respected MD school you certainly have a chance and shouldn't over think it too much. Apply to the programs you want to.

Just worried that it's pretty generic and not at all creative. I've heard in psych that the PS is one of the most important components of your app (who knows if this is true) but thanks for the advice! Will def try and rework it over the next few days.
It is very rare a PS stands out much over all others. If one does it is most often in the negative direction. It is rare to read a memorable PS in my opinion. Most are fairly good and OK but it would be hard to use them as a major metric for creating a rank list.

Bump. Getting nervous about ERAS coming up

Stats- low 220s step 1, low 230s step 2.
-Good/ above average LORs. Some ECs and volunteering, not really psych related.
-Ongoing research project, no pubs or posters from it though yet (started late).
-All Passes last year (~50% of the people in a rotation at our school) but MSPE is looking to have some great comments in there. Never was the best test taker—-probably shelf brought me down?
-Did 2 psych electives, got good comments from those (they were P/F tho).
USMD from NE looking to go anywhere. I know this stuff is getting competitive. Am I in the threshold to have to dual apply?