UNMC University of Nebraska College of Medicine class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, cnstntgardner! What you said made me feel a lot better. Btw - what's APRESO?

Members don't see this ad.

anybody know anything about Mac compatibility @ UNMC? i'm in the market for a new laptop and would much rather have a mac.

i agree with constant gardener. don't spend your time worrying about it right now, everyone feels like they're the one that's going to fail or not be able to cut it but you will. core 1 definitely is a kick in the butt, but after that things settle down, you start to have more of a life, and the year gets a lot more fun. just enjoy your summer - make some memories that you can think about while you're pouring over Chung and Netter's in 3 months!

Members don't see this ad :)
jlmali- get a mac! i think if you buy one on apple.com right now you can get an ipod touch for free. i have one and have not had a problem at all with compatibility there's really no software or anything like that that we use ever that could cause a problem. all the cool kids in the class have them!

APRESO is God's gift to UNMC med students. It's the excuse to sleep in or sleep during class. All of our lectures are recorded (whatever is on the screen and whatever the instructor says) and available immediately after lecture online. So, instead of arriving at 8 and sleeeping through your first lecture in class, you can sleep through it at home, wake up at 9 and watch what you missed in the comfort of your underwear. It's addictive and a bad habit for most, but some people are literally not seen in class between tests. It is nice, especially in anatomy, because some of the instructors talk quickly and it's tough to write down everything they say. Some people use it as a review and just take what's said in during class and then re-watch the lecture later on, but I could never figure out how anyone has time to sit through every lecture twice.

I remember how nervous I was last year before school started, but after your first day of orientation I felt so much better. Everyone is so friendly and helpful, and you will realize everyone is in the same boat so you really become a big family.
The course load is heavy, but totally reasonable.

Yeah, thanks for the words of encouragement. I was all excited and confident when I was accepted, but now I'm getting a bit nervous.

Oh, and I got they flyer in the mail about the golf outing. Who else here doesn't know how to play golf, or is it just me??? The more students and docs I talk to, the more I find their leisure time is spent on the green, at least here in Nebraska. And I thought doctors=golf was just a stereotype!

Yeah, thanks for the words of encouragement. I was all excited and confident when I was accepted, but now I'm getting a bit nervous.

Oh, and I got they flyer in the mail about the golf outing. Who else here doesn't know how to play golf, or is it just me??? The more students and docs I talk to, the more I find their leisure time is spent on the green, at least here in Nebraska. And I thought doctors=golf was just a stereotype!

It's all part of your initiation/indoctrination. ;)

Interesting options available for your class of 2012. Based on my experiences, and who is involved with each of the tracks, I'd recommend the Auto-immune track. I think that's the most broadly applicable, especially if you are interested in a non-general practice specialty. that said, I have worked with Dr. Medder (who is in charge of the Preventative Medicine and Underserved tracks) very closely as part of the SHARING Clinic and he is an extremely nice guy, so I can't not recommend those either.

EMET (Enhanced Medical Education Tracks)
Enhanced Medical Education Tracks offer medical students an opportunity to perform in-depth study of an interdisciplinary field of medicine that enhances the required curriculum without extending the time needed to graduate from medical school. EME Tracks consist of longitudinal activities in which students work closely with faculty mentors, residents, and advanced students. The tracks are challenging for students and address specific topics in greater depth than is available through the required curriculum. Although EMET participants are required to maintain good academic standing, applicants are selected for Tracks based on their interest in the topic and their motivation to complete work above and beyond the basic M.D. curriculum.

Interested students apply to a Track during the second semester of their M1 year. Accepted participants then complete the designated Track activities, such as seminars, preceptorships, or research, throughout their M1, M2 and M3 years. During the M4 year students, with guidance from their mentors, produce a capstone project such as a poster or conference presentation. Recognition for students who complete EMET includes: documentation of performance in their MSPE, acknowledgement of completion on their transcript, and recognition at the ‘hooding' ceremony.

Currently approved tracks include:
Click on a track name above to see a description of that track.

For additional information contact Dr. Hugh Stoddard, Director of Curriculum and Educational Research

Aging and Integrated Medicine

Care for the older patient is challenging, but also the most rewarding. The AIM track trains the student in mastery of knowledge and skills to provide high quality geriatric care.

What will you gain?

Upon completion of the Aging and Integrated Medicine Scholars Track, the student will be able to:
  • Independently manage complex illnesses
  • Communicate effectively with older patients
  • Work effectively in multiple venues of care
  • Confidently care for hospitalized and community dwelling older people throughout their spectrum of health
  • Added certification of qualifications on transcript and diploma.
What is the AIM curriculum?
  • Participation in Aging Interest Group, Senior Companion Program, Geriatrics Journal club
  • Mentorship by Geriatric faculty throughout all medical school years
  • Preceptorships with Geriatric faculty during Integrated Clinical Experience
  • Capstone project (paper or poster)
  • Geriatric clerkship rotations
For more information:
Go to geriatrics.unmc.edu and click on ‘Aging and Integrated Medicine Scholars (AIMS) Track'
Coordinator:
Sally Hand [email protected]
402-559-3878

Faculty Contact:
Ed Vandenberg, M.D., CMD
Phone: 402-559-7514
[email protected]
^top

Auto-Immune Diseases

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Autoimmune diseases can strike any part of the body. Because the symptoms vary widely, they are allocated to different medical specialties based on the organ system immediately affected. Yet, the basic principles governing one autoimmune disease are applicable to others, and treatments applied to one autoimmune disease may be useful in others. Therefore, the primary goal of the Autoimmune Diseases Track is to expose the student to basic and/or clinical immunological aspects of autoimmunity..[FONT=verdana,geneva]The Autoimmune Diseases track offers a curriculum that will enable the student to:.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Develop an appreciation of research in autoimmune and musculoskeletal diseases through projects currently performed in the Section of Rheumatology (Alcoholic Liver Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Atherosclerosis, and other allied conditions).[FONT=verdana,geneva]·.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Acquire the clinical and research skills that will help the student throughout his/her future medical career.[FONT=verdana,geneva]·.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Develop the ability to critically evaluate research (including the medical literature) and its application to medicine.[FONT=verdana,geneva]·.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Gain insight into the process by which research is performed (including; the ethical conduct of research, protocol design, study implementation, data collection and analysis, report generation, and administrative issues).[FONT=verdana,geneva]·.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Develop a more in depth understanding of immunology; specifically, autoimmune disease..
[FONT=verdana,geneva]For more information contact:.
[FONT=verdana,geneva]James R. O'Dell, M.D..
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Phone: (402) 559-7288.
[FONT=verdana,geneva]e-mail: .[FONT=verdana,geneva][email protected].

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Geoffrey M. Thiele, Ph.D.
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Phone: (402) 995-3550.
[FONT=verdana,geneva]e-mail: .[FONT=verdana,geneva][email protected].

^top

Comprehensive HIV Medicine

HIV medicine is not the study of a single disease, but rather a compendium of knowledge that includes: basic sciences, clinical sciences, behavioral sciences, and social issues.

HIV medicine encompasses the full spectrum of experiences that a physician may confront in clinical practice from the subtleties of obtaining a proper sexual history to the difficulties of diagnosing and treating an opportunistic infection or a neoplasia in immunosupressed patients.

The HIV Medicine track offers:

• A practical and didactic 4 year curriculum in HIV medicine.
  • An introduction to the principles of diagnosis and treatment of HIV infection and its complications.
  • An integral vision of HIV medicine including its scientific, clinical and psychosocial components.
To learn more about the HIV Medicine track contact:
Dr Miguel G. Madariaga or Dr. Susan Swindells
Phone: 402-559-5392
e-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]

^top

Preventive Medicine

The goal of the Preventive Medicine track is to develop your knowledge, attitudes, and skills in providing preventive services at both the individual patient and population levels.

The Preventive Medicine track will enhance your competency in the following areas:

• Performing appropriate prevention-focused history, physical exam, and screening tests.
  • Motivational and behavioral change counseling and communication skills incorporating social and cultural environmental factors to improve the overall health
    of patients.
  • Identification of risk factors and evidence-based interventions for clinical preventive services.
  • Identification and utilization of resources (formal and informal; private and public) that relate directly or indirectly to prevention and public health.
Learning activities include:
  • Monthly preventive medicine clinics and seminars
  • A summer course in clinical preventive medicine
  • Electives in preventive medicine and public health
  • Preventive Medicine Project
    • The Preventive Medicine Project includes a literature review on a specific preventive medicine topic of the student's interest, assessment of its current implementation in a health care setting, an intervention to improve its implementation, and an evaluation of the success of the intervention.
Faculty Contact:
Jim Medder, MD, MPH
[email protected]

^top

Underserved Medicine

[FONT=verdana,geneva]The primary goal of the Underserved Health Care track is to enhance your overall competency in providing quality health care to the underserved or homeless populations..

[FONT=verdana,geneva]In this track you will:.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Develop reflective skills by identifying and exploring personal attitudes and motivation while caring for this population..
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Acquire knowledge and skills to effectively and comfortably provide for their special health care needs now and throughout your future medical career..
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Effectively utilize available community resources required to provide comprehensive care and to address the challenges specific to the care of this special population..
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Develop competencies to become an effective social and political advocate for their special needs..
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Learning/service activities include:.

• [FONT=verdana,geneva]Caring for patients in homeless clinics or shelters.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]LCE visits and primary care block experiences in underserved clinics/sites including the SHARING Clinics.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Monthly seminars.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Underserved and/or international elective experiences.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Underserved Project.
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]The Underserved Project includes a literature review on a related topic of the student's interest, assessment and prioritization of current needs, development and implementation of an intervention, and an evaluation of the success of the intervention..
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Faculty Contact:.
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Jim Medder, MD, MPH.
[FONT=verdana,geneva][email protected].

Last edited:
Just took a walk through...holy cow...

It's un-frickin-believable, disgusting, jaw-dropping, amazing. I guess that's what 52 million and change gets you these days. I'm sure there will be issues but it seems so well thought out, the layout is great, the artwork is awesome. I can't even imagine coming in for an interview and then comparing it to other schools, it's just so over the top.

Thanks BigRed for the updates, good stuff. I just saw the photos of the Sorrell Center thanks to your link. Wow it looks amazing; I can't wait to see it up close.

EME looks like a great opportunity as well. It seems there are many extracurricular options for students at UNMC. Few questions:

Is the EME program competitive? The auto-immune track seems up near my ally of interest, I'm glad you posted the info. Also, I've heard research between M1/M2 is good to have when applying to residencies. Am I correct in assuming the EME program can be modified to include a research publication?

What percentage of UNMC students do you think participate in these programs (EME, research, honors thesis, etc)?

Thanks BigRed for the updates, good stuff. I just saw the photos of the Sorrell Center thanks to your link. Wow it looks amazing; I can't wait to see it up close.

EME looks like a great opportunity as well. It seems there are many extracurricular options for students at UNMC. Few questions:

Is the EME program competitive? The auto-immune track seems up near my ally of interest, I'm glad you posted the info. Also, I've heard research between M1/M2 is good to have when applying to residencies. Am I correct in assuming the EME program can be modified to include a research publication?

What percentage of UNMC students do you think participate in these programs (EME, research, honors thesis, etc)?

The EMET is brand new. Your class will be the first to utilize it, so it's hard to say how many people will take part. My guess...either nearly everyone or hardly anyone. I think it's most likely going to be at the extremes, and a lot will depend on if they have number limits to each track, and how much they promote it to your class.

Research is a decent thing to have, but it's necessity is very dependent on what sort of residency you're aiming to get (which can be problematic if you don't realize what you want to do until third year). You can look at the Match Outcomes data from the AAMC to see which fields put the most emphasis on having research experience. And there are certainly some residency programs in every field where having research experience is very important - which is a little harder to tease out. Regardless, I doubt that having no research experience will prevent you from getting into any specific specialty, but it could make matching at your favored program harder.

Not sure the participation rates for research. I'd say about 1/4 to a 1/3 of my classmates probably have some research experience...

Zero idea about how many are involved in honors thesis stuff.

i'll echo bigredbeta's sentiments about the sorrell center: it is AMAZING.