UNMC University of Nebraska College of Medicine class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EddieMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's never too early to start an official class thread is it? Good, so here it is: UNMC class of 2012!!!

It would be great to hear from everybody as you go through the application cycle, are eventually accepted, and begin classes. Also, insight from any current medical students would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my letter yesterday! Woo-hoo! UNMC class of 2012!!

Yeah! UNMC 2012!!! Hopefully the Sorrell Center is open by next fall, that place will be awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
The Sorrell center is going to be amazing compared to the dungeon of witson hall. I'm pretty excited.

Just wondering what you all are doing with your time until August? I'm taking A & P. Kind of having a hard time concentrating due to frequent med school daydreams, though! :oops:

Congrats on the acceptances! I assume you all applied early decision?

Yes, the new Sorrell center looks mighty fine indeed. It'll be fun to be the first class to break 'er in.

As for me, I moved to Omaha just a little while ago. I have a full time job, to help pay back my undergrad loans. I'd like to plan something fun and extreme for this next summer. Like bike across the Alps or hike to Everest base camp. Anyone down?

Yes, EDP here. I'm going to be doing some traveling this summer, but nothing too extreme. I expect that med school will be extreme enough for me!

Hey there, I was just wondering about the turnaround for interview to acceptance notification. Dawno I know you were EDP but could you tell me approx when your interview was?

I think I remember hearing they don't start accepting until December, not sure though. Then, it's a rolling admissions every time the committee meets, until March 15 when they finalize the class and create the alternate list. You can give the admissions office a call. They are very helpful, and will usually give you straight answers.

Hey Dawno, where will you be traveling this summer? I can certainly imagine how difficult it must be to concentrate on A&P class now that you know you're already accepted. You'll be glad you took it come August though; I've heard UNMC's 1st year A&P course is top notch, and more difficult than some other programs. I heard this from a student at that "other" med school!

m1 at unmc right now, congrats to those accepted. my advice: enjoy your free time and by no means try and study beforehand, it will be of no use! A&P is an ass-kicker but you survive it and it's over before you know it (we had our last test last saturday) and then life is good...or at least, better.

p.s. if you have a ? about anything related to unmc feel free to p.m. me

Hi everyone!
I'm a Cali resident and I LOVED UNMC. From the kind people to the new Sorrell Center!! I know it's going to be hard to get an acceptance OOS, but I'm crossing my fingers!:)

EddieMD, I will be taking a five week road trip to Quebec via the Upper Peninsula. It will be a nice and lazy trip. Where are your extreme travels taking you?

Good luck, Daydreamer! I spent four years out in the San Francisco Bay Area as an adult and I was born just outside of L.A. The winters may be a bit harsh for you at first, but you'll get used to them. The snow is fun.:oops:

Rock Climber, thanks for the offer. I'm sure that we'll all have many questions the closer August gets.:thumbup:

Hey there, I was just wondering about the turnaround for interview to acceptance notification. Dawno I know you were EDP but could you tell me approx when your interview was?

I interviewed in early September and I received my letter at the end of September.

Members don't see this ad :)
:D I have an interview in December! I'm really excited about it, I grew up in Lincoln so it would be really nice to get to move back to Huskerville! That, and I know UNMC is a great school. Wish me luck! :luck:

Flip and Daydreamer, best of luck to you! Let us know if we can help out in any way.

Dawno, as far as my extreme travel plans go: I heard Branson, MO is pretty epic. Either that or hitting up some sweet powder in the southern Minnesotan slopes....

Have fun in Quebec, Canada's a cool place. Don't forget to bring back some genuine maple syrup!

Hey I got a question for ya'll. I'm not originally from around here, and Omaha is the largest city I've ever lived in. I think I'll take advantage of the crappy housing market and see if I can't score a great deal on a house around UNMC. My question is about the neighborhoods.

Where would you recommend I focus my search? Northeast/west of Dodge? South? Straight East? There are homes available everywhere. Is there anywhere you'd consider 'unsafe?' Northwest of Dodge looks like a great area, and the locals seem to love the charm of Dundee. Pricy up there though. I'd consider it ideal if I was within walking distance of UNMC, a good coffee shop, and a maybe a bar or two.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Hey Eddie, I grew up in Lincoln so can't help you much there but I asked my cousin so maybe she can offer a suggestion. I'll let ya know

Good luck, Flippase! :thumbup:

EddieMD- Northwest of Dodge is really nice. We hang out in Dundee a lot. It's a cool neighborhood, but it is more expensive. We live just south of Dodge in Midtown and our neighborhood seems really safe - lots of historic houses and campus housing. Some of our friends rent or own houses just south of the 42nd and Leavenworth area and really like the location. It's an easy walk to UNMC from that neighborhood.

Have fun on your trip!

Does anyone know when the December letters are mailed out? I seem to remember them saying sometime during the first 2 weeks of December.

Congrats everyone! Like rock_climber, I too am an M1! Please take the summer off...you will be happy that you did, and you really can't prepare at all! Believe me, I tried! Please feel free to contact with any questions.

As for living, I live just south of Dodge and its wonderful. I wouldn't go too far east of 40th unless you are all the way in the downtown area. Otherwise everything around the med center is pretty reasonable and safe!

Enjoy your time until school starts and congratulations again!

i just got my acceptance letter last week! i was really impressed with the program and am pretty sure i'll be heading to omaha next year.

Did anyone else receive their application to participate in medical student summer research yet? I was a little surprised, I thought research scholarships/stipends were traditionally for students between MS1 and MS2. Any insight? How commonly do MS-zero students participate in these research projects anyway?

It sounds like a great opportunity, especially if you already have a particular field of interest. Might it be tough to convince a faculty member to sponsor an incoming student? The applications makes it sound like the student is somewhat independent. Is this true? Or, can one jump on board a major study already taking place at Durham and still qualify for the stipend?

i got that letter and have been wondering those same things.

Hey all. I wanted to point out that the 2008-2009 academic calendar is now up on the UNMC site. :oops:

As a current M3 at Nebraska, congratulations to everyone who has been accepted to Nebraska.

If you're an OOS student and been accepted be sure to talk to Gigi and get your name on the list for OOS tuition waivers. If you do it early enough you're pretty much guaranteed to get one.

Only six months to go. I can't wait until Aug. 25th. I guess orientation starts on the 18th but you get the idea.

Anybody get a letter about Phi Chi in the mail. If so are you going to the founder's day?

Anybody get a letter about Phi Chi in the mail. If so are you going to the founder's day?

I got the letter and just about rsvp'd the president to inquire about Founder's day, but decided against it for now. Phi Chi seems like a cool place to live, I don't think it's for me though. I figured I'll have more opportunities to check it out as we near the start of classes. I've heard that first orientation week is full of parties put on by organizations like Phi Chi and AMSA.

Only six months to go. I can't wait until Aug. 25th. I guess orientation starts on the 18th but you get the idea.

What do you mean ONLY six months!?? Man I've waited long enough. Oh well, back to trying to get all the hidden skulls in Halo 3.

Hey, any current med students have advice on whether to pursue a research topic the summer before med school?

as a current M1, i would suggest you spend your summer before med school playing halo 3, getting a nice tan, and doing anything but studying. you'll have chances for research and you should enjoy your free time while it lasts! don't spend a minute even thinking about studying!

What do you mean ONLY six months!?? Man I've waited long enough. Oh well, back to trying to get all the hidden skulls in Halo 3. Hey, any current med students have advice on whether to pursue a research topic the summer before med school?

No, I understand about how long the wait has been. It has been brutal waiting since September to get going. I am just trying to maintain my excitement or else I am going to go insane.

Yeah I know what you mean. Maintaining the right amount of excitement is getting old. I oftentimes browse the JAMA/NEJM podcasts and case studies to satisfy my medical curiosity, but cut myself off when I start to break out my undergrad physiology text books.

I now find myself wishing I could have gone straight from undergrad to med school. But, I try to heed the good advice of the MS1s and accomplish my non-academic goals. Thanks for that advice by the way, I'll hold off on any research this summer and do some traveling.

I got the letter and just about rsvp'd the president to inquire about Founder's day, but decided against it for now. Phi Chi seems like a cool place to live, I don't think it's for me though. I figured I'll have more opportunities to check it out as we near the start of classes. I've heard that first orientation week is full of parties put on by organizations like Phi Chi and AMSA.

Yep, the first week is a bunch of parties with free alcohol, definitely the best week of medical school (until 4th year!).

It's possible I'll get to know some of you really well next year as I just found out that I'm going to be a TA for your H&P course within ICE.

hey has anyone gotten anything in the mail from unmc since theyve been accepted?

I got my financial aid award letter today. UNMC med’s tuition keeps increasing. The maximum Stafford loans I qualified for are BARELY enough to cover tuition, fees, and my living expenses. It could be worse I guess. I’m just thankful to be going to a state med school.

Anyone know if tuition rates keep increasing every year for current students? In other words, I’ll pay $23,300 for tuition as an M1. Can I expect my M4 tuition to be the same $23,300, or closer to $27,000??? I noticed that tuition rates have increased by more than $1,000 a year for the past few years (for entering students at least).

when i saw your post, i was sure the tutition rates were locked in and mine wouldn't have gone up to 23K. Then I got my award letter in the mail today and they did in fact go up. So yes, your tutition will probably be higher when you are an M4 than now. At least you get the brand new Sorrell building for M1 and M2!

Yeah, I just got an e-mail back from a financial aid officer, who said that med school tuition at UNMC increases by an average of 6% a year, each year. With that scale, we'll be paying $27,750 for M4 tuition alone! Dang; well at least it looks like they're putting it to good use (Sorrell Center, Durham, and an ice skating rink).

Does anyone know when we get access to the fast-start pre-matriculation program? I am sure that it isn't until closer to the start of the term but I am just curious as to when that fun stuff gets going.

last year they left us all in the learch (i thought for a bit they forgot about me!) until mid-july as far as any information about the school year. once you can access blackboard the 'faststart' stuff should be on there. i wouldn't waste your last precious weeks of summer looking at it though, just know where to show up the first day and you'll be fine. during the first week there are organized parties almost every night and these should not be missed! you have hardly anything to do if you are setttled in wherever are you are living. there is a PBL case that goes on throughout the week to orient you to PBL, but i would spend MINIMAL time on the PBL case... it counts for nothing and is just meant to prepare you for how boring PBL can be (and expose the gunners at the earliest possible moment!). the best tool in the faststart is the unofficial guide to medical school, written by the class ahead of you, which gives you the low-down on professors, cores, books, equipment, and everything you need to know - i read through different sections of this many times throughout the year when it was applicable and it was very helpful. orientation was actually a lot of fun - you get to know your classmates, have a lot of FREE drinks, lunches and dinners, and you don't have any studying to do. i used orientation week for the above and to get settled in my apartment. enjoy it because the 10 weeks that follow kinda blow.

also, if you wear scrubs, a stethoscope, and diagnose the PBL patient with lupus on the first day you will be the coolest kid in your class, do it!

last year they left us all in the learch (i thought for a bit they forgot about me!) until mid-july as far as any information about the school year. once you can access blackboard the 'faststart' stuff should be on there. i wouldn't waste your last precious weeks of summer looking at it though, just know where to show up the first day and you'll be fine. during the first week there are organized parties almost every night and these should not be missed! you have hardly anything to do if you are setttled in wherever are you are living. there is a PBL case that goes on throughout the week to orient you to PBL, but i would spend MINIMAL time on the PBL case... it counts for nothing and is just meant to prepare you for how boring PBL can be (and expose the gunners at the earliest possible moment!). the best tool in the faststart is the unofficial guide to medical school, written by the class ahead of you, which gives you the low-down on professors, cores, books, equipment, and everything you need to know - i read through different sections of this many times throughout the year when it was applicable and it was very helpful. orientation was actually a lot of fun - you get to know your classmates, have a lot of FREE drinks, lunches and dinners, and you don't have any studying to do. i used orientation week for the above and to get settled in my apartment. enjoy it because the 10 weeks that follow kinda blow.

also, if you wear scrubs, a stethoscope, and diagnose the PBL patient with lupus on the first day you will be the coolest kid in your class, do it!

01AwcAX2cy2p4AAAADAAAAAAAAAAA:.png

My year, if I remember correctly, they were a little bit more on top of things. Given the huge move from Wittson to the Sorrell Center that's going to take place in July, hopefully they'll be getting things done before the move.

The best advice - don't worry about it too much. The FastStart module is helpful mainly in the fact that it gives you something to grab on to and put some of your nervous energy into. Other than that, it's not going to get you honors or a gold star once the school year starts.

Co-sign about orientation week advice so far. I most likely won't be in Omaha during August, but if I was, I'd absolutely be showing up to Pauli's and the Brazenhead to take advantage.

does anyone know where they're living yet? single, double? is there anywhere we can find someone looking for a roommate?

Thanks for the tips. I was just curious to see what was all on there.

Am I the only one starting to get nervous? I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep up with the pace of med school. I'm hoping that these are perfectly normal thoughts and feelings. :confused:

Yeah, I just got an e-mail back from a financial aid officer, who said that med school tuition at UNMC increases by an average of 6% a year, each year. With that scale, we'll be paying $27,750 for M4 tuition alone! Dang; well at least it looks like they're putting it to good use (Sorrell Center, Durham, and an ice skating rink).

Well if it makes you feel any better your neighbors to the east are getting taken for about twice that. Go Creighton!

Thanks BigRedBeta!

Am I the only one starting to get nervous? I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep up with the pace of med school. I'm hoping that these are perfectly normal thoughts and feelings. :confused:

I've never posted to this thread before, but Im going to be an M2 at UNMC. I remember how nervous I was last year before school started, but after your first day of orientation I felt so much better. Everyone is so friendly and helpful, and you will realize everyone is in the same boat so you really become a big family.

The course load is heavy, but totally reasonable. The most important thing is to stay on top of things. Core 1 is demanding of time, but if you are willing to spend extra time in the lab until you get everything, and use your weekends to review everything from the previous week you will do great.

APRESO really helps for all the cores, because hearing something more than once is sometimes necessary. I just saw the new cadaver lab they spent the last few months remodeling, and Im jealous. The dungeon has definitely been made over. I hope this helps