All Branch Topic (ABT) Unlicensed Military Dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The military will allow you to obtain a license via PGY-1 program, but there are a few important points:

1. When you signed your commissioning documents and accepted HPSP/HSCP, you also signed an agreement that you would take and pass Parts I and II of the National Board Dental Examination and obtain a dental license in any state within 12 months after starting active duty following graduation (you have 18 months if you choose to obtain a license by completing a PGY-1 program).

2. You cannot begin to collect IP (Incentive Pay - special pay for general dentists) until you have a dental license. If you choose to obtain your license via PGY-1 program, you will lose out on $20,000 you could have potentially made during that year by being licensed via board exam.

3. You are not entitled to a military PGY-1 spot just because you want to obtain your dental license in NY or one of the above states. You have to apply for a military AEGD or GPR like any other HPSP/HSCP student. If you are selected for a PGY-1 program, you can then choose to get a license that way. If you are not selected, you will have 12 months to take a regional/state board exam and obtain a license in any state.

I hope this answers your questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the assumption that pretty much anyone that applies to either navy AEGD or GPR will get it unless your GPA and/or clinical skills are absolutely abysmal?

Thank you for sharing!

Very detailed response. Thank you.
Actually, I'm not on the HPSP scholarship yet. I'm considering applying for it and I thought it would be helpful to do some preliminary research re. licensure. I appreciate the link you provided.

I didn't mean to imply that I would be entitled to a PGY-1 spot, and I regret if my post gave you that impression. I understand that the 1-year AEGD (based on what I've read on this forum) is competitive and must be earned. However, I also understand that it is highly recommended that everyone who is not specializing out the door do the 1-year to improve his/her skillset, so I would certainly apply.

The dentists who I have shadowed (and a few dental students who are graduating) have all pretty much unanimously told me that licensure exams are stressful (pt no-show = fail, patient's oral disease doesn't meet criteria = fail, etc. etc.), expensive, and are not necessarily representative of one's capabilities. So I was just exploring some alternatives.

Oh well- I have a while to go before I enter active duty (assuming I even get a scholarship in the first place). Perhaps licensing rules will change by then and we'll have a truly representative national exam that is ethical and affordable.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Plan for success, not failure. Or take multiple exams (I took NERB and WREB, passed both)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the assumption that pretty much anyone that applies to either navy AEGD or GPR will get it unless your GPA and/or clinical skills are absolutely abysmal?

You're wrong, people have certainly been turned down for spots. They have 40-60 spots (varies) for 80-100 incoming accessions each year. Some years they may get fewer applicants than spots, but they're usually full

Last edited:
Don't you dare consider not challenging a board. It's not that hard to get patients and pass, usually the whole school, and junior classes are set up to help you.
Most importantly, you will look like a lazy schlub and your fellow officers, commander, and 1yr selection committee will treat you as such.

Last edited:
IMO, not having a dental license doesn't give you much credibility. At Great Lakes, we had 4-5 dentists who hadn't passed a board (some after 3 years). I question how many of them even graduated dental school as we were constantly repairing/redoing work they had done on the recruit side. I'm sure almost all boards have at least a 60% pass rate. I took the WREB and I think about 80-85% passed. Most students take an early board, if they don't pass, they take the next closest one or some schools will have a second exam at a later date.

IMO, not having a dental license doesn't give you much credibility. At Great Lakes, we had 4-5 dentists who hadn't passed a board (some after 3 years). I question how many of them even graduated dental school as we were constantly repairing/redoing work they had done on the recruit side. I'm sure almost all boards have at least a 60% pass rate. I took the WREB and I think about 80-85% passed. Most students take an early board, if they don't pass, they take the next closest one or some schools will have a second exam at a later date.
@vellnueve
I thought the navy kicks you out if you don’t have a dental license within 18 months of aegd/GPR completion?

Quoted ‘vellnueve’
If you don't have a license within 18 months of graduation (if doing an AEGD) you'll be kicked out. You will also not be eligible for special pay until licensed. It is in your interest to get licensed ASAP.

Also how does it work if you are not doing residency and are not licensed upon graduation?