University of Washington Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Beaner81 said:
If I go, it will be the morning of the 20th out of SFO.

That was my first flight option but because I'm leaving on Saturday AM for a wedding, I wanted to have that entire morning in Seattle to check out the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Beaner81 said:
I agree! It sounds awesome. Are you trying to decide between UCSF and UW?
Yes, I am. It's a tough decision, so I'm hoping that these preview days will help me decide :)

titoincali said:
Hey! I just got my flight confirmation from UW and I'm heading up there eve of 19th. When are you going to fly up?
I'm actually heading up the eve of the 18th. I wanted the extra day to soak in Seattle before the UW activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
So are all of the OOS going to be here on the 22nd and 23rd? If so I might just come and mingle. :)

does anyone know when will we receive financial packets? I know JEfferson students already got their financial packet online.

chip77 said:
I'm actually heading up the eve of the 18th. I wanted the extra day to soak in Seattle before the UW activities.

Hey chip77!

I think it's great that you're heading up on the 18th. I would have loved to do that but since I'm already missing two Calc classes I couldn't get myself to miss three in a row! I'm really excited about the trip. My friend has already planned a crazy drinking/karaoke fest for wednesday night to celebrate!

Have you received anything about the agenda of activities?

I finally get to post my date! Called today and they got me my ticket and I am, strangely enough, taking a flight out of SF the morning of the 20th (after a flight from San Antonio to SF before that). So if any other out of stater is on my flight, say hi to me. I'll be the short boricua w/ a tattoo on my neck (my most identifiable characteristic)...

Anybody else get in from Oregon? My advisor says that I am the only one from OSU for as long as she has been working here (at least ten years). I am searching for a roomate too, any rural people? My grandparents are from Mallot, WA anybody from that neck of the woods need a roomate?

aspiringdoctor said:
does anyone know when will we receive financial packets? I know JEfferson students already got their financial packet online.

What is this? I got into Jefferson in september and I haven't gotten a packet yet. Maybe I should check on this, I've kind of been ignoring everybody since I got into UW.

hi everyone, I've just received a letter from the admission office saying that they will put me in the lottery for assignment to WSU. Did anyone esle receive this letter?

Aspiringdoc,

Got the letter. Lets see how this pans out!

titoincali said:
Hey chip77!

I think it's great that you're heading up on the 18th. I would have loved to do that but since I'm already missing two Calc classes I couldn't get myself to miss three in a row! I'm really excited about the trip. My friend has already planned a crazy drinking/karaoke fest for wednesday night to celebrate!

Have you received anything about the agenda of activities?

Hey titoincali.... sounds like you're going to have a great time up there! As for the agenda, I haven't received anything. However, I think we'll get it either today or tomorrow. See ya on Thursday!

Trail Boss said:
Anybody else get in from Oregon? My advisor says that I am the only one from OSU for as long as she has been working here (at least ten years). I am searching for a roomate too, any rural people? My grandparents are from Mallot, WA anybody from that neck of the woods need a roomate?

Yeah...Err, I went to school in Oregon (at Reed), but I think that's what you meant. Or did you apply OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, anyone considering applying for the summer program - where you take histology over the summer? Does anyone have any info. about the program - or advice from people who have done it in the past? Part of me just wants a free summer to relax a little... but there definitely seem to be some perks to the program.

lizanne11 said:
Hey, anyone considering applying for the summer program - where you take histology over the summer? Does anyone have any info. about the program - or advice from people who have done it in the past? Part of me just wants a free summer to relax a little... but there definitely seem to be some perks to the program.

I applied to the program. I received a letter last week letting me know they are in the process of evaluating applications and would let me know by June 1.

chip77 said:
Hey titoincali.... sounds like you're going to have a great time up there! As for the agenda, I haven't received anything. However, I think we'll get it either today or tomorrow. See ya on Thursday!

Hey, guys - have fun in Seattle this week! I can't wait to hear how it goes - take notes for the rest of us, please!

Hey Beaner are you a OOS or Wa res?

Beaner81 said:
Hey, guys - have fun in Seattle this week! I can't wait to hear how it goes - take notes for the rest of us, please!

Will do, beaner81!

adiddas125 said:
So are all of the OOS going to be here on the 22nd and 23rd? If so I might just come and mingle. :)

We'll be around from 4/20-23. Definitely come by and say hi! :laugh:

Hey guys, any of you that were on the fence make a decision after this weekend? I'm an impatient waitlister, and just want to know if there might be some movement soon.

anyone got their financial packet yet? I got mine online and realized that I have to borrow about $30,000 loans for my first year. I'm WA resident by the way. I expected this, but still shocking to see the number because I didn't borrow any loans before. Anyone else on the same boat?

aspiringdoctor said:
anyone got their financial packet yet? I got mine online and realized that I have to borrow about $30,000 loans for my first year. I'm WA resident by the way. I expected this, but still shocking to see the number because I didn't borrow any loans before. Anyone else on the same boat?

Yup, I have about 30,000 also. That's a fair chunk of change. But at least it can all be covered by federal aid. I'm so glad I don't need to get private loans!

Add me to the $30,000 club. It seems like tons of money, but really when I think about how much I would have had to borrow for other schools, it doesn't seem bad at all.

Peter Griffen said:
Add me to the $30,000 club. It seems like tons of money, but really when I think about how much I would have had to borrow for other schools, it doesn't seem bad at all.

Hey guys, Did you all get an email regarding the invite to the $30K club?

Second Lookers, it was nice meeting all you! Have you decided to firm up here?
Its a great school. :love:

Oh some of you were talking about Craig's list? What in the world is a craigs list? I am really confused. Is Craig a friend of you all? Do you all happen to know each other mutually?

adiddas125 said:
Oh some of you were talking about Craig's list? What in the world is a craigs list? I am really confused. Is Craig a friend of you all? Do you all happen to know each other mutually?

HAHA! Go to seattle.craigslist.org and you'll see what we're talking about.

Great to meet you, by the way. You should have joined us on Friday night, it was fun to finally let loose!

titoincali said:
HAHA! Go to seattle.craigslist.org and you'll see what we're talking about.

Great to meet you, by the way. You should have joined us on Friday night, it was fun to finally let lose!

Soo...how did it go? I'd love to hear anything and everything about the UW. How many people were there? How were the classes? Did you actually find fun places to go out on Friday night?

Beaner81 said:
Soo...how did it go? I'd love to hear anything and everything about the UW. How many people were there? How were the classes? Did you actually find fun places to go out on Friday night?

It was great. The administration, faculty, current students, alumni, and future students that I met were amazing. I got really excited about the programs in place at UW AND Seattle is beautiful (even when it was raining). I managed to go out 2 of the 3 nights I was there and had fun each time so I have no worries about not finding things to do or not meeting interesting people!

titoincali said:
It was great. The administration, faculty, current students, alumni, and future students that I met were amazing. I got really excited about the programs in place at UW AND Seattle is beautiful (even when it was raining). I managed to go out 2 of the 3 nights I was there and had fun each time so I have no worries about not finding things to do or not meeting interesting people!

Awesome, thanks! One of the things I'm a bit nervous about re: Seattle is that I love the diversity of the bay area - I love to dance, I love hip-hop and Reggaeton and all of the energy and things going on in SF. I'm worried that Seattle might not have that - but it sounds like you really loved it, and you're from the Bay Area, so I trust you!

Hey all. I spent half of the day with you on Friday (from Lunch on, I already live in Seattle), and I had a great time meeting everyone!!!! I really hope that you enjoyed your time in Seattle, and that you decide to attend UW. I love it in Seattle, and I can't wait to see everyone later this summer. As for apartment and house hunting, you can use craigslist, and I have also seen great rentals on nwsource.com. Again, loved meeting everyone on Friday!!

ebeth1 said:
Hey all. I spent half of the day with you on Friday (from Lunch on, I already live in Seattle), and I had a great time meeting everyone!!!! I really hope that you enjoyed your time in Seattle, and that you decide to attend UW. I love it in Seattle, and I can't wait to see everyone later this summer. As for apartment and house hunting, you can use craigslist, and I have also seen great rentals on nwsource.com. Again, loved meeting everyone on Friday!!

I know who you are! It great that you were able to join us. And thanks for the additional apartment info, I'll add nwsource to my list of places to obsessively search each day!

:laugh: Oh... For the whole time so far, I thought Craig's list was this list generated by Craig himself. :laugh:

I mingled and visited with some of the people who were at Second look had to skip the dinner on Friday due to some things planned before the agenda was sent out. Everyone seems so awesome!!! Now I am real excited to get this medical school thing started. :)

As far as housing for me, I am gonna try and get into the University Housing (Graduate Apartments). Its very comparable to off campus housing in terms of price... ~550/mo. All utilities are included and such. The only draw back is roomate assignment might be a crap shoot, but with my own bed, and living at the library it will probably work out...
Not to mention the housing is real close to the Health Sciences (about a 5-7 min walk on the Burke-Gilman).

Its weird how the weather is super nice, and for us its kinda getting warm. Its blue skies, and very sunny and warm. Too bad it rained lightly on Friday, other wise the tour on campus would have been a great treat!

I am still laughing my ass off about the Craigs list thingy. :laugh:

adiddas125 said:
:laugh: Oh... For the whole time so far, I thought Craig's list was this list generated by Craig himself. :laugh:

I mingled and visited with some of the people who were at Second look had to skip the dinner on Friday due to some things planned before the agenda was sent out. Everyone seems so awesome!!! Now I am real excited to get this medical school thing started. :)

As far as housing for me, I am gonna try and get into the University Housing (Graduate Apartments). Its very comparable to off campus housing in terms of price... ~550/mo. All utilities are included and such. The only draw back is roomate assignment might be a crap shoot, but with my own bed, and living at the library it will probably work out...
Not to mention the housing is real close to the Health Sciences (about a 5-7 min walk on the Burke-Gilman).

Its weird how the weather is super nice, and for us its kinda getting warm. Its blue skies, and very sunny and warm. Too bad it rained lightly on Friday, other wise the tour on campus would have been a great treat!

I am still laughing my ass off about the Craigs list thingy. :laugh:

I think it was really started by Craig. It might still be owned by him but I heard rumors of a sale.

BTW, you will officially be teased about this for the next four years! :smuggrin:

titoincali said:
I think it was really started by Craig. It might still be owned by him but I heard rumors of a sale.

BTW, you will officially be teased about this for the next four years! :smuggrin:

Let the games begin! :eek:

alright all, I just withdrew the spots I was holding at other schools and sent an e-mail to UW changing my acceptance to firm! It's official and I couldn't be anymore excited about it. Kinda takes away from my motivation to study when I feel I should be out celebrating though.

Who else has a new favorite hoodie? :)

xaviera_o said:
alright all, I just withdrew the spots I was holding at other schools and sent an e-mail to UW changing my acceptance to firm! It's official and I couldn't be anymore excited about it. Kinda takes away from my motivation to study when I feel I should be out celebrating though.

Yeah!! How was the rest of the weekend?

titoincali said:
Yeah!! How was the rest of the weekend?

Snoqualmie (prob spelling it wrong) Falls was absolutely beautiful. I'm down to drive you out on the weekend if we are both in the premat. Looking forward to just chilling on a rock for a couple of hours once its warmer out.

It was only 4 of us at that point though. Then we had lunch together and all went our separate ways to see family members and all that. So you didn't miss much.

I didn't want to leave though... Oh well, just 1.5 more months til moving day.

xaviera_o said:

Yes studying is becoming very very very hard for me. I dont even want to think anymore about the human genome. I cant wait till graduation!!! Then it is partay time.

xaviera_o said:
Snoqualmie (prob spelling it wrong) Falls was absolutely beautiful. I'm down to drive you out on the weekend if we are both in the premat. Looking forward to just chilling on a rock for a couple of hours once its warmer out.

It was only 4 of us at that point though. Then we had lunch together and all went our separate ways to see family members and all that. So you didn't miss much.

I didn't want to leave though... Oh well, just 1.5 more months til moving day.

Speaking of premat...

I am trying to quit my job early and on good terms so that I can apply for that. Does anyone know a. how hard it is to get into, and b. how useful it is? I would imagine that it would be good for me because I've been away for school for a year, and I want to get to know some of my future Seattle classmates since I spend the first year in Pullman.

By the way, what's all this I've been hearing about the $30K club?? I haven't gotten any kind of financial packet yet. Has everyone received theirs or just some of you?

swman said:
Speaking of premat...

I am trying to quit my job early and on good terms so that I can apply for that. Does anyone know a. how hard it is to get into, and b. how useful it is? I would imagine that it would be good for me because I've been away for school for a year, and I want to get to know some of my future Seattle classmates since I spend the first year in Pullman.

By the way, what's all this I've been hearing about the $30K club?? I haven't gotten any kind of financial packet yet. Has everyone received theirs or just some of you?

I didn't receive anything in the mail yet about financial aid status, but if you have signed up for your UWNetID (something you can do once you received the Enrollment Confirmation Acknowledgement in the mail) you can check your status online. Once you have a UWNetID go to MyUW, sign-in and click on the financial aid status link. For a few days my financial aid status said "processing", but as of today I can view my preliminary award.

swman said:
Speaking of premat...

The students I spoke to who did it last year seemed to think it was really useful since it frees up a big part of your schedule during first year. And it's also done early enough so you still get to enjoy some of your summer.
Mainly they said that the people you do it w/ you continue to be friends w/ thruout the rest of your time at UW.

As far as how hard to get in. I'm not really sure. Most students who did it told me that as long as you applied you'd be in, but no one really gave me any stats on how many apply and how many get in or anything like that so not sure if that's true.

xaviera_o said:
The students I spoke to who did it last year seemed to think it was really useful since it frees up a big part of your schedule during first year. And it's also done early enough so you still get to enjoy some of your summer.
Mainly they said that the people you do it w/ you continue to be friends w/ thruout the rest of your time at UW.

As far as how hard to get in. I'm not really sure. Most students who did it told me that as long as you applied you'd be in, but no one really gave me any stats on how many apply and how many get in or anything like that so not sure if that's true.

I heard around 24 apply and 16 get in. HOWEVER, I asked several people this question and many seemed hesitant to answer, not sure why.

swman, you can always call the OMCA and ask them about the program.

So by my count I see that we have 98 days till first day of classesand 89 days till Orientation!!! Jeez I cant wait. Are any of you doing fun things this summer?

adiddas125 said:
So by my count I see that we have 98 days till first day of classesand 89 days till Orientation!!! Jeez I cant wait. Are any of you doing fun things this summer?

My summer has improved substantially in the last couple days. I worked up the courage to quit my monotonous phlebotomy job early (end of May instead of end of July) so that I can do the premat program. I also plan to spend more time with my mom, 3 younger brothers, and 1 younger sister. My supervisor will give me the big guilt trip but who cares, I'm going to med school!!

I'm thinking about sneaking in a trip to Tahoe or Vegas right before premat, and after premat is over I've got just 2 weeks before classes start in Pullman. So there you have it... my summer in a nutshell.

swman said:
My summer has improved substantially in the last couple days. I worked up the courage to quit my monotonous phlebotomy job early (end of May instead of end of July) so that I can do the premat program. I also plan to spend more time with my mom, 3 younger brothers, and 1 younger sister. My supervisor will give me the big guilt trip but who cares, I'm going to med school!!

I'm thinking about sneaking in a trip to Tahoe or Vegas right before premat, and after premat is over I've got just 2 weeks before classes start in Pullman. So there you have it... my summer in a nutshell.

I wish I could do the premat. I might even qualify since June marks the 3 year anniversary since I graduated. Staying at my job until the beginning of August, however, gives me a pretty big chunk of change, as I'm getting a bonus then.

I don't think I've said anything on this particular forum (did on the app thread) yet. Anyhow, hi everyone! I'm looking forward to meeting and going to school with all of you. :)

swman said:

Thats awesome swman!!! I signed up for the PRE-MAT program too. I am going to quit my job at the grocery store the week of graduation. (In June.) So that means I need to start reminding them now. They are going to freak out because we are short staffed, and they were probably counting on me to work a lot this summer. (They dont know I have gotten into med school yet) I probably should tell them.

I also want to just relax all summer long, besides the Pre-mat thing. :rolleyes: Maybe I will have a lot of bbq's with friends and family. I also want to spend more time with my family before I go to school.

I might plan a trip to Hawaii to visit a friend of mine, but it is under consideration since I plan on making some big purchases.

Other than that I will be just hanging out in Seattle enjoying my last "true" official summer break. :cool:

adiddas125 said:
Thats awesome swman!!! I signed up for the PRE-MAT program too. I am going to quit my job at the grocery store the week of graduation. (In June.) So that means I need to start reminding them now. They are going to freak out because we are short staffed, and they were probably counting on me to work a lot this summer. (They dont know I have gotten into med school yet) I probably should tell them.

I also want to just relax all summer long, besides the Pre-mat thing. :rolleyes: Maybe I will have a lot of bbq's with friends and family. I also want to spend more time with my family before I go to school.

I might plan a trip to Hawaii to visit a friend of mine, but it is under consideration since I plan on making some big purchases.

Other than that I will be just hanging out in Seattle enjoying my last "true" official summer break. :cool:

Hey, adiddas125, what grocery store do you work at? The reason I ask is that I worked at Safeway throughout high school and undergrad (hence the name swman), and am still technically employed by them although I only work there every once in a blue moon now with the full time phlebotomy job...I thought I was the only med student to come from a grocery store. :laugh:

swman said:
Hey, adiddas125, what grocery store do you work at? The reason I ask is that I worked at Safeway throughout high school and undergrad (hence the name swman), and am still technically employed by them although I only work there every once in a blue moon now with the full time phlebotomy job...I thought I was the only med student to come from a grocery store. :laugh:

You worked for SLAVEWAY??? :laugh: I work(ed) for Albertson's. I really dislike working at that place. I am a checker there, and I have worked there since I was in high school (since ~2000). Going on 6 glorious years of putting up with price checks and mean customers throwing hissy fits about the prices.

I had a customer once spit in my face because she thought it was ridiculous that "I" was charging her so much for her loaf of bread and peanut butter. :eek: Needless to say I have a lot of intersting experiences. It did support me through undergrad so I cannot complain at all!

Just wanted to bump this thread up a bit, and say hi to all you wonderful future UW students. I have dropped all my other schools and will be headed to UW for sure next year.

I can't wait to see some of you in WWAMI land in August!

i feel like we're falling off (actually, i feel like procrastinating on studying and no one has posted anything new in a while except for CostalShowers-- thank you!) so i figure i'll ask a random question:
out of staters, when are you heading up?
i will be leaving san antonio, texas (gracias a Dios) on June 1st and will be there 4 or 5 days later after taking in a few sights along the way.
i'm so ready to quit work too-- may 25th!!!

alright, POST! (titoincali, i know you'll support me :) )