University of Toronto Pharmacy c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, please and thank you! What tips would you give to prepare for the interview? Are there any resources that are particularly relevant or helpful and what should one generally expect?
I started out by reading "Doing Right: A Practical Guide to Ethics for Medical Trainees and Physicians". Although it may be tailored to physicians, the book does a really good job at setting you up to conquer common ethical dilemmas in healthcare. I also think it would be wise to review what pharmacists actually do, and what their role in Canada's healthcare system is. Even if there are or are not questions directly on that topic, you should at least have a general understanding of these things.

The last bit of advice would be keep an open mind while in the interview stations. The situations do not have a right or wrong answer, so it is best to see each situation from ALL aspects and perspectives.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1T9 here, feel free to ask anything pertaining to entrance interviews/PCAT or whatever!

Thank you for taking some time off your hectic first year schedule to do this!

Do you know if anyone in the 1T9 class (or earlier) got accepted with a very minimal PCAT score (around 20-30) on one of the sections? Also would you recommend retaking it if a section of one's score (i.e. RC) is as low as 20-30 but they have a competitive composite?

Thank you for taking some time off your hectic first year schedule to do this!

Do you know if anyone in the 1T9 class (or earlier) got accepted with a very minimal PCAT score (around 20-30) on one of the sections? Also would you recommend retaking it if a section of one's score (i.e. RC) is as low as 20-30 but they have a competitive composite?

It's a bit of a grey area. Most people I know that had lower RC scores that got in were scoring around 50-60. Although the 20-30 will likely be above the threshold, I would consider retaking if you have the means to do so and feel confident you can improve in that area. Nobody really knows how they weigh certain criteria so I can't give you concrete evidence, but I will ask around my class if anyone scored in that range. At the end of the day, the horror stories people tell about being screened due to low marks or low scores likely aren't all true. I got a D in Calculus 1 in first year but was still able to get in :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a buddy who got in with a 78 PCAT and a 20 in RC last year. So it should be fine.

Thanks for the response and some reassurance guys ! :) I really appreciate it !

@Dradzz thanks for the insight! I was so worried about getting a D+ in organic II and getting a "red flag". It's good to know I haven't screwed my chances

Hey guys. This is the first time I apply. I am in 3rd year undergrad now. My cGPA is 3.52.
VA: 22
Bio: 89
RC: 41
QA: 95
Chem: 97
Composite: 84

I know we can get an interview if we meet the minimum. But is it possible for me getting accepted? My cGPA can be boosted up to 3.6 at the end of my 3rd year.

@bennyckp your cgpa is on the higher end of the acceptance average (80%) and your pcat score is pretty competitive. I would say that if you do okay/ decent on the interviews, you're likely to get accepted.

Hey guys, I would like some input on my stats as well.

Pcat:
VA 68
BIO 99
RC 68
QA 72
CHEM 99
Writing 3.0
Comp 96

cGPA: ~80.5%

Based on my cGPA and pcat, I know my prospects look good but.....I have some weak points: I have 3 semesters (out of 8) of part time study, I failed a course and had to repeat it (organic 3) and I got a D+ in organic 2. Screw organic chemistry! Red flags all over, I know. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Hey guys, I would like some input on my stats as well.

Pcat:
VA 68
BIO 99
RC 68
QA 72
CHEM 99
Writing 3.0
Comp 96

cGPA: ~80.5%

Based on my cGPA and pcat, I know my prospects look good but.....I have some weak points: I have 3 semesters (out of 8) of part time study, I failed a course and had to repeat it (organic 3) and I got a D+ in organic 2. Screw organic chemistry! Red flags all over, I know. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

You're getting an interview for sure, so prepare for it and kill it! Not much can be done anymore about the redflags so better off not worrying about! I don't know how much they affect the application.

Hi guys, before everything else, I just want to say good luck to everybody applying this year :biglove:
I'm wondering whether there are people from UofT that can give me some advice about CHM220? I just got my grade back from my first TT1 and it's extremely low (passing grade :( ). I think the course will only get more difficult and I will be lucky to end up with a sixty in this course. Does anyone know whether there are students getting in with extremely low Chem grade from UofT?
Thank you :(

Hey, anyone who has any D's on their transcript, don't worry. I also had one, and it was in a prerequisite chem course, so there is a chance! Also, all the people I've talked to in my class (1t9) have mostly over 88 PCAT scores, so maybe if your gpa is on the lower side (like mine was) i recommend taking it again. People often say a lot of weight is not placed on PCAT, but based on things I've heard from upper years and first years, they normally have high composite scores :). Goodluck everyone!!!!

Hey, anyone who has any D's on their transcript, don't worry. I also had one, and it was in a prerequisite chem course, so there is a chance! Also, all the people I've talked to in my class (1t9) have mostly over 88 PCAT scores, so maybe if your gpa is on the lower side (like mine was) i recommend taking it again. People often say a lot of weight is not placed on PCAT, but based on things I've heard from upper years and first years, they normally have high composite scores :). Goodluck everyone!!!!

Hey Kacee,

How low was your GPA if you dont mind me asking :)?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for the encouragement. Do you mind me asking whether you have had courses with grade below the class average. I feel like this will be the case for my chem course and I read that UofT looks at whether a grade is above or below class average. :(
Thank you

So my cGPA was 3.23, my PCAT was 89 comp, and the particular course I did bad in was orgo for both semesters, but the class average was low, but for first year orgo it was under the class avg. Class avg was C- and I got a D. I really think that even if you have one bad mark, but you show them that in all other years you did well, that it will not effect you too much. People often stress over one mark, but the rest of their transcript is great and they get accepted, so try to just do the best you can this year. For my fourth year I got 80's on everything and that boosted my gpa and probably got me in.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of u that have already done the pcat this yr I have a quick question
When I try to register it says that my credit card needs to be from a US bank. I have an RBC Mastercard so will that work??? I also have a Sears Mastercard...I'm not sure if either will work
Plz help!!!

For those of u that have already done the pcat this yr I have a quick question
When I try to register it says that my credit card needs to be from a US bank. I have an RBC Mastercard so will that work??? I also have a Sears Mastercard...I'm not sure if either will work
Plz help!!!
not 100% sure

but it should work. It's going to be more than the price it's written, I think 210 USD since canadian dollars dropped a ton since the past year. about extra 30 cents for every usd. But I paid with BMO mastercard. pretty sure it's not an american bank but transactions can be from anywhere.

Hey guys, so I just wrote my PCAT and i completely bombed the bio section -_-
My cGPA is around 84% and these are my scores
VA: 74
BIO: 51
RC: 78
QA: 95
CHEM: 88
Comp: 87
Should I retake it or is it possible to get an interview with these scores? Aghhh

For those of u that have already done the pcat THIS year, how difficult was the math section?
How did you study for it and what was your score?

For those of u that have already done the pcat THIS year, how difficult was the math section?
How did you study for it and what was your score?
My score was pretty bad, I'm usually good at math. I think 93.
Well was bad because I was expecting 99 lol.
I barely studied for the section though. Practicing will definitely help , I ran out of time doing the section.

2nd time applying this year
about a 74% average and a 70 on the pcat (retaking this month hopefully i can get a 90+ score on this like alot of you guys :D)
definitely on the lower end of the marks for those applying

i did the mmi interview last year and it was honestly one of the most stressful things ive ever done. If you did well on the first few sections then you lost your nerves and will probably do good on the rest too. What happened to me was i completely blanked out on the very first one and lost my confidence for all the rest ...

For anyone who has done the MMI, are there questions asked about you as a person and your experience (work or volunteer) or are they all situation-based?

Also, do you guys think it's more important for me to bring my GPA up or to take upper year courses in my 4th year? That is, will my "better" GPA be considered less valid if I'm taking some first year courses that are super easy? Or could I play it off like I'm using these courses to fulfill the requirements needed (because I'm taking courses like first year economics and first year linguistics)?

Thanks everyone! :)

Last edited:
For anyone who has done the MMI, are there questions asked about you as a person and your experience (work or volunteer) or are they all situation-based?

Also, do you guys think it's more important for me to bring my GPA up or to take upper year courses in my 4th year? That is, will my "better" GPA be considered less valid if I'm taking some first year courses that are super easy? Or could I play it off like I'm using these courses to fulfill the requirements needed (because I'm taking courses like first year economics and first year linguistics)?

Thanks everyone! :)
na no questions directly related to your experience will be asked, but you can use your experience in your answers if they apply :)
also, i emailed them last year and told me they do not care what the courses are, so you're better off taking the easiest classes you can find at this point. I'm in the same boat and basically takin 8 electives this year hahaha

Hey everybody, I am in the application process for the September 2016 admissions cycle as well. I'm a little concerned about my marks though...
My PCAT scores were:

VA - 38
Bio - 63
RC - 36
QA - 93
Chem - 85
Writing - 4 (mean was 3.35)
Composite - 72

My average is ~77.5%-78% right now, but should be going up after this semester (I am in second year). If I have a really strong interview, would these scores be good enough to get me in? Or should I write the PCAT again in January? I am taking 5 courses per semester, no fails and no repeats.

Hey everybody, I am in the application process for the September 2016 admissions cycle as well. I'm a little concerned about my marks though...
My PCAT scores were:

VA - 38
Bio - 63
RC - 36
QA - 93
Chem - 85
Writing - 4 (mean was 3.35)
Composite - 72

My average is ~77.5%-78% right now, but should be going up after this semester (I am in second year). If I have a really strong interview, would these scores be good enough to get me in? Or should I write the PCAT again in January? I am taking 5 courses per semester, no fails and no repeats.

I applied last year with 82% average and I did really well on the interviews. Or at least I thought I did. I tend not to get nervous in presentation and I am generally out going. But although these 2 categories were decent ... my PCAT comp was ~58% - I think. Around there. Didn't even get waitlisted lol. Getting a 90+ would help your application but retake it if u have the time and you know you can study enough to get 90 + or even 95+

I'm doing my pcat for the first time in January n I'm a little scared about my marks. I'm already applying for this year so everything depends on my pcat as of right now. Any advice from people who've done it this yr??

I'm doing my pcat for the first time in January n I'm a little scared about my marks. I'm already applying for this year so everything depends on my pcat as of right now. Any advice from people who've done it this yr??
1T9 here as well :) I understand exactly what you're going through-I decided to apply for pharmacy school really last minute so I had to take the PCAT in January 2015. Dr. Collins was a lifesaver, and purchasing the Pearson online tests helped as well! I found Kaplan to be too detailed and not as relevant. Feel free to ask other questions, and all the best everyone!

I applied last year with 82% average and I did really well on the interviews. Or at least I thought I did. I tend not to get nervous in presentation and I am generally out going. But although these 2 categories were decent ... my PCAT comp was ~58% - I think. Around there. Didn't even get waitlisted lol. Getting a 90+ would help your application but retake it if u have the time and you know you can study enough to get 90 + or even 95+
Wow! So when you say that you "didn't even get waitlisted", do you mean you were accepted in the top 240? Or do you mean that you didn't even make the waitlist? Just to clarify.

Wow! So when you say that you "didn't even get waitlisted", do you mean you were accepted in the top 240? Or do you mean that you didn't even make the waitlist? Just to clarify.
I wish!! lol no I didn't get in.

I took the PCAT again this september and got a 93% comp. This time around I should have a better shot. I don't know how they weigh interview/PCAT/grades I've just assumed it's 33% (1/3) each. So getting that 58% was prettyyyyy bad lol. Also if it is 1/3 each. PCAT is the easiest thing to improve IMO. you can only increase your GPA so much. But going from 58% to 93% was a big improvement to overall application and it wasn't too difficult to achieve either.

I wish!! lol no I didn't get in.

I took the PCAT again this september and got a 93% comp. This time around I should have a better shot. I don't know how they weigh interview/PCAT/grades I've just assumed it's 33% (1/3) each. So getting that 58% was prettyyyyy bad lol. Also if it is 1/3 each. PCAT is the easiest thing to improve IMO. you can only increase your GPA so much. But going from 58% to 93% was a big improvement to overall application and it wasn't too difficult to achieve either.

To add more, first time around for my PCAT I tried to only use free things I found online to study. being cheap clearly didn't work. Then I tried Kaplan and it was much better. But my friend used Collins and got 99 and I think I would have liked Collins better too. Collins + Pearson + studytime tests should prep you for a 99%

Hey guys, I see everyone posting their stats, so i figured I'll post mine too.
My stats:
GPA: 71.3%
Verbal Ability 41
Reading Comprehension 53
Quantitative Ability 58
Biology 71
Chemistry 57
Composite 58
Writing 3

I know my stats aren't as great as a lot of yours, but do you guys think I have a chance at interviews? This is my third time applying, but I'm really hoping this is the year...

My stats:
Verbal Ability 41
Reading Comprehension 53
Quantitative Ability 58
Biology 71
Chemistry 57
Composite 58
Writing 3

I know my stats aren't as great as a lot of yours, but do you guys think I have a chance at interviews? This is my third time applying, but I'm really hoping this is the year...

You will definitely get an interview seems like you made the minimum requirements. But your odds aren't great of getting in after the interview. I'd strongly recommend redoing the PCAT and trying your best to get a 99%. You'd have a really good chance at getting in with a high PCAT and good interview to make up for a low GPA. Take advantage of the january PCAT. Goodluck!

My stats:
Verbal Ability 41
Reading Comprehension 53
Quantitative Ability 58
Biology 71
Chemistry 57
Composite 58
Writing 3

Wait a second. Didn't you get in last year?

to the person who asked if they asked personal questions or just situation-based, i had a bit of both last year. i.e. traditional interview type.
i hope thats not giving too much away, i know they made us sign a confidentiality agreement and everything lol

how many of you are also applying to waterloo as well as uoft pharm?

In the pharmsis application, it asks for your grades. Do you write your percent grade, your GPA grade, or your letter grade?
Also, what about classes that you are currently taking or will be taking next semester? How do you write the grades for those because its a mandatory field and you cannot move forward until you fill in the space...but I don't know my marks yet...
If anybody knows, plz help.
Thanks so much

In the pharmsis application, it asks for your grades. Do you write your percent grade, your GPA grade, or your letter grade?
Also, what about classes that you are currently taking or will be taking next semester? How do you write the grades for those because its a mandatory field and you cannot move forward until you fill in the space...but I don't know my marks yet...
If anybody knows, plz help.
Thanks so much
For grades, i believe either one (letter or percent grade) are acceptable, but not your GPA as you will be ultimately submitting your transcript. As for future classes, I would write "N/A" as in "Not applicable" in the grades section, but in the From/To section you would have to list the month and year you are going to take that course. If they have any questions, they will contact you by email!

how many of you are also applying to waterloo as well as uoft pharm?
I am applying to waterloo as well. I like that they have co-op but I don't like that school starts in January not September

I am applying to waterloo as well. I like that they have co-op but I don't like that school starts in January not September

Coop is muuuuch better IMO. I'm starting to think Waterloo is harder to get accepted into than U of T. Not sure though. The extra time off will be nice. Can do some work and get some money or travel before you slave the next 4 years away haha

Coop is muuuuch better IMO. I'm starting to think Waterloo is harder to get accepted into than U of T. Not sure though. The extra time off will be nice. Can do some work and get some money or travel before you slave the next 4 years away haha
It is nice I agree. I'm thinking it is harder too and they have less spots than UofT.

It is nice I agree. I'm thinking it is harder too and they have less spots than UofT.
The forum is always dead. So it appears that not many people are applying. So deceiving.

The forum is always dead. So it appears that not many people are applying. So deceiving.

It's just not the right time yet. Once people start getting interview invites, it'll start livening up. Also, the thread is in the wrong sub-forum.

Last edited:
lool whoops. At least when people google "uoft pharmacy 2020" the thread shows up :p ^^

and yeah i also think its harder to get into waterloo! less spots and more incentive to apply because of co-op!! i'm applying as well but i have little hope loool not much going on in the extra curricular area

lool whoops. At least when people google "uoft pharmacy 2020" the thread shows up :p ^^

and yeah i also think its harder to get into waterloo! less spots and more incentive to apply because of co-op!! i'm applying as well but i have little hope loool not much going on in the extra curricular area

Well I guess it's because I go to U of T, no one talks about going to waterloo. Everybody wants to stay here for pharmacy :p

hi everyone!
I just finished my final exam for chm220 and i dont think it went to well at all, but if anything I am 80% sure i passed
With that aside my last thing to do is my PCAT which im taking in January
my current gpa is a 3.38 which im aware is not competitive be any means
If I was to do well on my PCAT (say higher than 80% for all sections) how do chances look for me?
reading through these forums I see stats of people getting in pretty much scattered all over the place (from a cGPA of 2.78 to 3.9)
Is this because the interview is weighted very heavily?

hi everyone!
I just finished my final exam for chm220 and i dont think it went to well at all, but if anything I am 80% sure i passed
With that aside my last thing to do is my PCAT which im taking in January
my current gpa is a 3.38 which im aware is not competitive be any means
If I was to do well on my PCAT (say higher than 80% for all sections) how do chances look for me?
reading through these forums I see stats of people getting in pretty much scattered all over the place (from a cGPA of 2.78 to 3.9)
Is this because the interview is weighted very heavily?

Hmmm while a 3.38 isn't anything to write home about, I think it still gives you a decent chance of getting in. Getting that PCAT score would be pretty good and puts you up there in terms of competitiveness. It is hard to gauge what is weighed most heavily because how well one does during interviews is very difficult to gauge.