University of Toronto Pharmacy 2007--FINAL DECISIONS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you BrownSound!

But there's no denying that our hope is diminishing. If there was space, they would have called along time ago.
Anyways, Benzoic329, you may be correct in what you said, but I really like to know from who did you hear this from?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you BrownSound!

But there's no denying that our hope is diminishing. If there was space, they would have called along time ago.
Anyways, Benzoic329, you may be correct in what you said, but I really like to know from who did you hear this from?

Yes, the source is very important. Was it faculty or student? As the faculty is being very secretive about such information, I question its validity.

Also, those of us on the waitlist cannot lose hope. If you think about it, only a third of the month has passed, and people like puneater are making their school decisions now. Let's try to keep up the hope. After all, he did say a few would come off the waitlist - it could be us :oops:

Furthermore, we already have heard of stories where people have been called a week before school's start. So who knows...

:D
Word of mouth is not the most reliable source for these kinds of information. Please do not crush somebody's hope just because 'you heard it'. Imagine being on the wailist and reading such an asinine response.

Settle down guys, Canadians don't insult people!:D ......Benzoic329's post may have been insensitive, unreliable info, but itsinfo nonetheless. Personally if someone told me they'd heard something like that on UofT campus regardless of whether it was just rumor or fact I'd want to know so I could start planning for september and another round of applications, and if I did get in then great, but if I didn't then at least I'm prepared. So don't be so mad at him/her, just be mad at the process!:mad:..........

Members don't see this ad :)
:D

Settle down guys, Canadians don't insult people!:D ......Benzoic329's post may have been insensitive, unreliable info, but itsinfo nonetheless. Personally if someone told me they'd heard something like that on UofT campus regardless of whether it was just rumor or fact I'd want to know so I could start planning for september and another round of applications, and if I did get in then great, but if I didn't then at least I'm prepared. So don't be so mad at him/her, just be mad at the process!:mad:..........

How is it info if it is wrong? Personally, give me facts or statements with a good probability of being true. I'd rather make plans based on those.

And we're all mad at the process...

Agreed! Let's all be positive here guys, I mean think of the other 1600 people who didn't even make the wait-list, I'd say we're all pretty awesome to even be in this position:)
It's helpful to know where the faculty stands but I'd also like to know where this information came from. After learning that they added another 40 people to the list and that we'd all be getting emails shortly clarifying this...still waiting lol....I'd be hesitant to trust a lot of info out there if it's not coming straight from the faculty. Anyways, if it doesn't happen this year for us, it will happen soon if its what we really want! Personally, Im going to apply to Memorial, Sask, Alberta, Toronto again and Dal next year if this doesn't go through :) Hopefully one of them will like what I have to offer!

Good luck guys, and don't lose hope, we're all in this till Sept 10!

Agreed! Let's all be positive here guys, I mean think of the other 1600 people who didn't even make the wait-list, I'd say we're all pretty awesome to even be in this position:)
It's helpful to know where the faculty stands but I'd also like to know where this information came from. After learning that they added another 40 people to the list and that we'd all be getting emails shortly clarifying this...still waiting lol....I'd be hesitant to trust a lot of info out there if it's not coming straight from the faculty. Anyways, if it doesn't happen this year for us, it will happen soon if its what we really want! Personally, Im going to apply to Memorial, Sask, Alberta, Toronto again and Dal next year if this doesn't go through :) Hopefully one of them will like what I have to offer!

Good luck guys, and don't lose hope, we're all in this till Sept 10!

Let's get in touch hawk. If we don't get in, let's prep together so we don't go through this ordeal again. I'm also gonna try the US, despite their tuition fees.

Thank you BrownSound!

heard it from a buddy of mine who'll be starting pharm school in Sept with me. I don't know where he heard it from but he lives/works on campus and he's usually right about these things, but I hope he's wrong this time...Sorry if I sounded mean before but I just wanted to give u guys a heads up.

Vibester and hawk........i guess we all have the same line of thought.........i'm applying to the same canadian schools as you and some in the states.......i'm just starting to get tired of this wait from UT.....i mean, at least give us something to go on........anyways, there are still another 4 weeks left....plenty of time, so lets not panic yet. :)

Well I didn't get in this year

How easy is it to get into waterloo??

I went to Waterloo for my 1st year, but applied to UofT for pharmacy.. I know at least like 4 ppl (including myself) that got into U of T pharmacy after first year from Waterloo.

But originally, I went to waterloo, thinking that I might go there for pharmacy, but they have WAYY too many prerequisites..(you may as well apply after you get your 1st degree..cause they require approximately 2-3 years worth of courses depending on the program you're in. (3 for me cause i was originally in BIOCHEM @ the loo.)

They also require you to go through an interview process as well as an online profile... (for those of you who don't like to write the PCAT/UTPAT tests, thats a bonus)

Also just a note for you Waterloo's pharmacy building is NOT located on the waterloo campus, but off campus in downtown kitchener. They also doing satellite correspondance with the McMaster University.

Overall though, I think Waterloo is a really nice place to be for your studies. Their pharmacy program is a co-operative program and I think is still 4 years, just like the one at U of T. However, the downside is that it's not open to students who've just complete first year and the classes begin in January (winter term) not September (Fall term)

Also, U of T has posted the results of your UTPAT scores.... and also posted a kind of a rubric for you to see. Other than the IQ portion, I think they were looking for people who scored in the Middle sections.

heard it from a buddy of mine who'll be starting pharm school in Sept with me. I don't know where he heard it from but he lives/works on campus and he's usually right about these things, but I hope he's wrong this time...Sorry if I sounded mean before but I just wanted to give u guys a heads up.

I'm with BrownSound guys!

just wondering Puneater, did you decide to go to UT or Waterloo?
And where were you doing your undergraduate?
I really liked Waterloo...and i think that if i could've gotten in after first year, i would've applied there too.... but i didn't wanna reject UT because biochem@ waterloo is like a killer program...and i dont think i would've managed to maintain my GPA.....

I think that they were looking for people who had scores in the middle
i remember one of my first score to be 30 -ish
and then a2/a3 was like 182 and 274 or something..
they were right in dead centre...basically.....(or the middle category for the rubric at least)

I think that they were looking for people who had scores in the middle
i remember one of my first score to be 30 -ish
and then a2/a3 was like 182 and 274 or something..
they were right in dead centre...basically.....(or the middle category for the rubric at least)

What about GPA and writing components? I'm fairly certain my cGPA has ranked me lower than others.

For those reapplying and thinking of the states, apply to U at Buffalo. Tuition isn't that expensive there for international students. It's about $13 000 for first year as a International student and I think about @ $25 000 for the next three. These amounts are approximately half of the tuition of what private US pharmacy schools pay.

You can even choose if you want to come back to Canada or go to the US for your internship and obtain the hours necessary for license.

Buffalo is only an hour and a bit away from Toronto, and there are a number of Canadians obtaining their Pharm.D there.

Buffalo does have a number of obscure perquisites but those get waived if you have a degree, so I would consider applying after graduating or on your graduating year. And, apply early, it makes a HUGE difference.
http://www.pharmacy.buffalo.edu/admissions_pharmd_reg.shtml

I'm starting my first year there next week so feel free to msg if you have any questions.

I used to be in your shoes, so don't lose hope and keep on trying.

Members don't see this ad :)
positivetension......do you need PCAT scores for Buffalo? and if so, how did you prepare for it? Gracias!

just wondering Puneater, did you decide to go to UT or Waterloo?
And where were you doing your undergraduate?
I really liked Waterloo...and i think that if i could've gotten in after first year, i would've applied there too.... but i didn't wanna reject UT because biochem@ waterloo is like a killer program...and i dont think i would've managed to maintain my GPA.....

Yes Rachel, I already responded earlier that I chose UT :), so i guess i'll be seeing you there! As for my undergrad, I did 3 years of it at York University. That's why I was able to make it to UW's Pharmacy program as I had all the prereqs.

For those of you who are wondering if it is easy to make it to Waterloo Pharmacy, I would say as long as you have a relative GPA and supplementary application you will probably get an interview. As for the interview, it's quite nerve recking at first cuz you have to sit in front of 3 board members. However, my 3 board members were really friendly and nice and I personally think I aced my interview ;) ... didn't mean to brag though, just wanted to open myself up to others who need help in the future in getting into either UT/UW pharmacy. I'll be glad to help out!

Hey
I just read from the link for U Buffalo that the last test date for the PCAT is in January 2008...Just wondering, if I sign up for this date, will it count for my 2008 application, or do I need to write it in October? Also, how early do you have to sign up for the PCAT, I heard it's first come first serve...?
UBuffalo looks great, more expensive, but if we can do our internship in Canada and work here after, Id be up for it!

Anyone else hear anything from UofT...I'm still waiting...

The PCAT has to be written. I thought it was relatively easy and had a pretty high percentile. I bought the Kaplan PCAT book and went through that for my preparation, ~2 weeks review should be enough.
I did my undergrad at UofT and I thought that chemistry/bio section never went beyond 2nd year level courses. Math was never harder than 1st year Calc. English can be brutal...reading comprehension and word meanings/usage ...a lot like SAT english if you have taken them.

The application process has to be done through PharmCAS which is like a OUAC for pharmacy schools in the states. The majority of US pharmacy schools use PharmCAS to receive applications. Reference letters, personal essays, personal info, transcripts, are all sent to PharmCAS and then PharmCAS sends your info to the schools you have chosen to apply to. PharmCAS has a schools link that outlines the prerequisite courses each school requires and which school accept international students. http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalpha.htm

I can't emphasize enough to apply early. Most schools have rolling interviews and will definitely improve your chances of getting in, especially if we are at a disadvantage b/c we are international students. So, write the October PCAT and not the January one, by the time the PCAT scores come in for January's exam, most schools have already accepted half their students.

Try and visit the school as well, it's a good way to see what the school is about. The admissions people at UB were very receptive when I visited the school.

No call for me either from UofT. So depressing...

UofB sounds interesting. English is mandatory though even with a bachelor's?

Thanks Positivetension!

All the info is really helpful, and the links you provided were great cause it allows you to search through all the US schools and take a quick look at their prereq's... I was wondering if you applied to any other US schools, or if you were accepted to any Canadian schools as well, what made you choose UB?
I'm going to send an email to them asking about the percentage of non-US residents' acceptance rates..any ideas?

Thanks for everything and good luck in Sept!

Funny you ask that, they have this year's class profile online.

http://www.pharmacy.buffalo.edu/admissions_pharmd_sbp.shtml

I already know of 2 other students from U of T that are going to UB's program so I think it's a little over the 1% it states in the stats. They even have a CAPSI student group at UB so I'm sure there are a number of canucks there. UB's admissions officer went to a number of universities in Southern Ontario giving info sessions on UB's pharmacy program so I'm sure they want Canadians to apply.

I decided on UB for a couple of reasons, 1)NY state and Buffalo's proximity to Toronto, 2) Canadian presence in the school (UB's Dean of Pharmacy is Canadian!), 3) Reputation of UB (well respected in research), and 4) $$$, it's the K-mart of Pharmacy schools.

I also applied to Albany, Ferris State, and Ohio Northern in the states. I got rejected by Albany but was accepted by Ferris State and Ohio Northern.

I use to be in your shoes so I know how it feels...applied all over Canada...UBC, UA, Dalhousie, UT and was waitlisted or rejected by them all until I applied to the states. So, don't lose hope, things always taste better when you work hard for it and you really want it.

(Btw, English at UB is waived if you have a degree...Check UB's PharmCAS school page, a number of other courses are waived as well.)

positivetension, are there any specific requirements for working in the US? Anything different that Canucks need to do?

btw, no call for me today

Well Vibester,

My GPA wasnt like insanely high, but it was good. I had an average of about 84%.. The good thing about Waterloo is that what you get (as a percentage) is what you get. However, I know that at UofT... your percentage gets converted into a score out of 4 or something to that extent. Personally, I think thats really unfair because your marks get rounded down...(ie 77% = 3.7 but 77%=3.3) something like that.. and that REALLY DOES kill your GPA/cGPA.

But, I'm pretty sure that UofT values their UTPAT almost as much as your academic performance because if you have a lower gpa (that meets minimum cutoff requirements), but you have an awesome UTPAT profile, they will get a 2nd round of people to review your profile to see if you are fit for the profession. So you sorta get a 2nd chance/evaluation.

Just a note, even though UofT does use the GPA system, Pharmacy only looks at your percentages if you're from UofT since those are also provided on your transcript. :)

I can't be certain of the details of working in the States since I haven't met the upper year international students. But, from what I have researched, you can get a green card to work in the states as long as the US employer sponsors he/she with a written letter of some sort to the US gov't. With the high demand for pharmacists in the states, I don't think that should be a problem.

Any news? I heard UofT students pay their fees by August 21. Perhaps some will automatically be kicked out then, and spots will open?

Can anyone clarify deadline to pay fees?

no......still nothing.....no mail, no phone call, no email (i think i'll break my computer if i check my email anymore times a day lol). oh, and if u call downtown, you can't even leave a message.

hey guys

I think Im going to call the faculty tomorrow- the message on their voice mail says that they will respond to inquiries Friday between 9am-12pm, and frankly I dont even care anymore that they say not to contact them. Someone I know said that their friend called last year and begged them to give her any info because she got accepted to Albany and needed to know what she was doing and they basically told her to reject albanys offer...Sooo you never know!
I'm starting to think it's pretty doubtful at this point, although I'm trying not to lose hope :) Is anyone else planning on writing the October PCAT?

Any news? I heard UofT students pay their fees by August 21. Perhaps some will automatically be kicked out then, and spots will open?

Can anyone clarify deadline to pay fees?

I don't think that the deadline to pay fees is that early as my other friends going into UT Pharm next year said. Even if we don't pay our fees (tuition fees, that is) , we won't get kicked out; we'll only get fined or will have to pay interest. :)

no......still nothing.....no mail, no phone call, no email (i think i'll break my computer if i check my email anymore times a day lol). oh, and if u call downtown, you can't even leave a message.

Yea, u can't find them these few days. they sent us an email saying that the office is closing early on Thursday at 11am today, and it was closed yesterday (wednesday).

Its so depressing to check my emails now. Hawk, please let us know how the call goes. I'm scared to call because I've already asked for so much through email.

Also, I'm planning to write the PCAT in October or February (most likely October). Gonna start in Sept, and work at it daily. I just need to learn where the testing locations are, how you apply, etc.

I'm writing it in October too....well, that's the plan at least. Hey, those of you applying to the states....check out massachusets college of pharm.

Hey all my fellow wait-listers!

So here is the disappointing news...I called the faculty yesterday and the admissions assistant said that they have not taken ANYone off of the list thus far...Apparently they do have a full class for 2007 at this point, and she said they will be taking people from the list if anyone "changes their minds", which she said does happen often. The other thing is that the person who posted how many people they accepted last year was right...they took 30 people from the list last year, but the year before that they took noone. I was surprised at the amount of info she was telling me, but she was actually very sincere and apologetic for our situation. She said to call back next week at the same time because tuition is going to be due soon, and often things can change around that time.
Anyways sorry to tell you guys this, I know it's frustrating, especially since basically all of the upper half would have gotten in if we applied last year...Let's all hope for a miracle!!!

Hey all my fellow wait-listers!

So here is the disappointing news...I called the faculty yesterday and the admissions assistant said that they have not taken ANYone off of the list thus far...Apparently they do have a full class for 2007 at this point, and she said they will be taking people from the list if anyone "changes their minds", which she said does happen often. The other thing is that the person who posted how many people they accepted last year was right...they took 30 people from the list last year, but the year before that they took noone. I was surprised at the amount of info she was telling me, but she was actually very sincere and apologetic for our situation. She said to call back next week at the same time because tuition is going to be due soon, and often things can change around that time.
Anyways sorry to tell you guys this, I know it's frustrating, especially since basically all of the upper half would have gotten in if we applied last year...Let's all hope for a miracle!!!

Like I suspected, when fees are due things will change. So hope is not lost yet.

hey everyone

I know someone who was offered an admission this year..but this person never wrote the UTPAT..they did a supplementary applications in which they had a few weeks to answer questions and got reference letters from proffessors they knew at the university.

I cannot find this supplementary application procedure anywhere...does anyone know anything about this

For all you wait-listers, the deadline for paying tuition is August 31! So if somebody doesn't pay by then, then it looks like they'll PROBABLY be opening some slots for you guys! good luck!

Hey guys!

Guess what? I got in!!! I heard today by email that my status had changed on the applicant website so I checked notifications and the letter was changed to say that I was accepted! I wish all you guys the best, and dont lose hope, the deadline for me to accept their offer is this Friday, so u may hear soon!!!

Congrats to those who got in. Any hints for preparing for the UTPAT? Trying out for it next year.

Hey hawk747,

CONGRATULATIONS!. Great news, you must be relieved.

Hey guys!

Guess what? I got in!!! I heard today by email that my status had changed on the applicant website so I checked notifications and the letter was changed to say that I was accepted! I wish all you guys the best, and dont lose hope, the deadline for me to accept their offer is this Friday, so u may hear soon!!!

congrats bud.:thumbup:

Hey guys!

Congratulations!

I guess the drama for me starts all over again. Just when I was convinced I have no chance of getting in, this happens, lol.

hawk, was it a general email? specifically just for you? etc. Any info you can provide is appreciated.

Hey vibester!

The email was from Sandra Parna and it was very short saying something like "We have good news for you, check your status on the applicant website for an important update! Please disregard the deadlines, you have until August 24 to make your decision." So then I check my mail and the switched my letter under notifications to the acceptance letter with all the July deadlines. They said if I did not respond in a few days that they would call me after that. The letter had a bunch of FAQ's about acceptance and Im assuming I'll be getting stuff in the mail soon? Hope that helps, keep checking that email!!!

Hey vibester!

The email was from Sandra Parna and it was very short saying something like "We have good news for you, check your status on the applicant website for an important update! Please disregard the deadlines, you have until August 24 to make your decision." So then I check my mail and the switched my letter under notifications to the acceptance letter with all the July deadlines. They said if I did not respond in a few days that they would call me after that. The letter had a bunch of FAQ's about acceptance and Im assuming I'll be getting stuff in the mail soon? Hope that helps, keep checking that email!!!

Congrats man!

congratulations HAWK747!!!!!!!!! Good job! you must be really excited now. U sould start celebrating asap :)

i think vibester summed it up best...the drama starts all over again for me too. hope the rest of us get that email soon too.

lol, when I saw that email from the faculty today my heart was thumping like a hammer....and then I realize that it didn't say that i got accepted, lol.

And so the drama continues for me and arnett. Oh well, I'm ready for September in any case.

I'm here too! Still waiting...Yeah, the email didn't help with my stress levels! lol

Hi guys!

I'm off the waitlist! I just got the email regarding my new status saying that I was accepted....holy cow!

DO NOT lose hope! It ain't over yet. Just keep checking your emails and I really hope that we'll see each other in september.

CONGRATS arnett!!!!!! You must be so relieved! :)

Congrats guys!!!! You must be so relieved.

Now it's just us still waiting, and hopefully getting an e-mail about it too!
Any word as to how many ppl got accepted from the waiting list?

congrats arnett! Hope to see you in the fall :D

Did they by any chance give you any rank info, or anything else?

nope, no rank info....the email just said my status had been updated and that I had to respond by monday the 27th.

have my fingers crossed for you guys...don't give up! there's still time. :)