University of Sydney Veterinary School- International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnygirl91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I was just accepted into University of Sydneys vet school program(DVM) as an international student in the states. I was shocked that they are only giving me a week to accept and pay the full first semester tuition. I am obviously in a time crunch, and the other schools in the state will not send out their acceptances until after this deadline! I need help! Is anyone here attending Sydney as an international student? I would also like to hear others thoughts on this program even if you aren't an international student.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

So I was just accepted into University of Sydneys vet school program(DVM) as an international student in the states. I was shocked that they are only giving me a week to accept and pay the full first semester tuition. I am obviously in a time crunch, and the other schools in the state will not send out their acceptances until after this deadline! I need help! Is anyone here attending Sydney as an international student? I would also like to hear others thoughts on this program even if you aren't an international student.

Thanks!
Quick question
Did you apply through VMCAS? If so, I'm not sure if they're technically allowed to require you to decide in a week whether you're going to attend, unless it's not a fall 2018 start date. If it's a fall 2018 start date, I think they're required to allow you until April 15 to decide if they're using VMCAS as their application service for US students.
If it's a January/February 2018 start (which would seem more normal for an Australian school), that's odd that they are using VMCAS and giving such little time to decide instead of having a different service that closes sooner so there's more time.

Also that's...odd...that they're having you pay the first semesters tuition on the spot if you accept your place...

Quick question
Did you apply through VMCAS? If so, I'm not sure if they're technically allowed to require you to decide in a week whether you're going to attend, unless it's not a fall 2018 start date. If it's a fall 2018 start date, I think they're required to allow you until April 15 to decide if they're using VMCAS as their application service for US students.
If it's a January 2018 start (which would seem more normal for an Australian school), that's odd that they are using VMCAS and giving such little time to decide instead of having a different service that closes sooner so there's more time.

Also that's...odd...that they're having you pay the first semesters tuition on the spot if you accept your place...
Can't comment on any of the other stuff because I have no idea...but it's not unheard of for international students to have different tuition requirements/payments. Idk if that's why OP only has one week, but if it is a January 2018 start it makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't comment on any of the other stuff because I have no idea...but it's not unheard of for international students to have different tuition requirements/payments. Idk if that's why OP only has one week, but if it is a January 2018 start it makes sense.
I just think it's weird that they want tens of thousands of dollars within one week though. I could understand wanting it before the semester starts, but one week after the acceptance letter just is weird to me.

I just think it's weird that they want tens of thousands of dollars within one week though. I could understand wanting it before the semester starts, but one week after the acceptance letter just is weird to me.
Yeah it’s a February start date.... you know acceptance in one week is one thing but a deposit of 30k with one week notice is a little extreme. I havent acquired loans yet for school thinking you typically have a little while to get that ready before having to pay tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah it’s a February start date.... you know acceptance in one week is one thing but a deposit of 30k with one week notice is a little extreme. I havent acquired loans yet for school thinking you typically have a little while to get that ready before having to pay tuition.

I too just received my acceptance email and am wondering the same thing! Have you emailed the school? I was thinking about emailing them today asking if were are allowed to first find loans.
I wanted to ask about health coverage as well. I used to live in Australia and health coverage was free, not sure if we have to pay for insurance now that we will be students.

It is extreme. I just perused their website really briefly and see that they tell international students that tuition/fees are due upfront. Maybe they expect you to get your funding together beforehand, sort of like how we do the FAFSA before hearing back?

Does anyone have an update on this? About the 1 week to accept for those of us who are still waiting on other schools?

Hey everyone,

You'll need to call the international loans department to inform them they you will be using financial aid/loans to pay for tuition. Upon talking with them they will send you a new letter of acceptance with a decreased down payment... mine was 5% of the total tuition due (which is much more reasonable).

I spoke with an International Loans Assistant from the International Loans Department and they were incredible helpful and guided me through everything I needed regarding loans and payment.

As for waiting for other schools, you really can't unless you're willing to give up the couple thousand dollars in down payment for USyd as it is non-refundable in this situation.

Unfortunately, the deadline for acceptance was yesterday... I'm sorry you guys for not getting here sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user