This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey whats up guys? After years and years on this forum I am finally ready to apply, just a quick question

So I was going to apply to the Fall Flex Program for the St Augustine Campus. The only thing hurting me would be my overall GPA which is pretty low to be perfectly honest.

I saw something online that the Prereq grades were the main ones being calculated? If that was the case and the application was looked at holistically, i feel as if I have a much better shot. I would have a 3.5 pGPA when I apply. This is with over 1000 hours of observational hours, a decent gre (153 153 4.0), decent reference letters, a couple of fitness internships as well as some leadership roles.

Would all of this you think would offset a low overall GPA? I realize that there is not much I can do in that regards so holistically, I made my application as solid as possible.

During the campus tour, they told me they look at your prerequisite GPA, overall GPA, and last 45 (or 60?) credit GPA. I think you'll be good by the sounds of your other app qualities. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

What do they talk about during the pre-advising meeting? I am confused because I submitted my PTCAS application, but it said I have to do a phone pre-advising meeting before they'll actually review my application. Can anyone help me out?

What do they talk about during the pre-advising meeting? I am confused because I submitted my PTCAS application, but it said I have to do a phone pre-advising meeting before they'll actually review my application. Can anyone help me out?

the pre-advisement is just to clarify any questions that you may have, or discuss if you have any outstanding prerequisites. Usually takes 10-15 mins to get through the call, and after that they forward your application to admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
the pre-advisement is just to clarify any questions that you may have, or discuss if you have any outstanding prerequisites. Usually takes 10-15 mins to get through the call, and after that they forward your application to admissions
I had mine at one and it lasted 5 minutes, she said my GRE scores hadn’t arrived yet since I sent them yesterday because I forgot on my test day. She said everything was well above the standard though. Fingers crossed for an interview.

I had mine at one and it lasted 5 minutes, she said my GRE scores hadn’t arrived yet since I sent them yesterday because I forgot on my test day. She said everything was well above the standard though. Fingers crossed for an interview.

Good luck man! I actually jsut got my acceptance letter from USA Miami today!!

For those that are currently attending USA- San Marcos, do you have any insight on the program and how you are liking it?

My admissions decision has disappeared from my application. Did anyone else have that problem?

Good luck man! I actually jsut got my acceptance letter from USA Miami today!!
I have an upcoming interview this Friday 3/1 for the summer program.... Any tips for the interview on what they asked? Also after your interview how long did they wait to tell you that you were accepted

I have an upcoming interview this Friday 3/1 for the summer program.... Any tips for the interview on what they asked? Also after your interview how long did they wait to tell you that you were accepted

The interview was very simple. orientation, tour, then interview followed by lunch. The interview process is 2 prospective students w/ one faculty member. they asked questions like how do you deal with stress, why PT, how do you deal with criticism.Try to sell yourself without sounding cocky. Show how your experiences have made you more knowledgeable, but understand that you have only scratched the surface of what you need to know. I did some research on the faculty members, and I used that to formulate why I found the school appealing (a lot of the faculty members volunteer in the special Olympics, and for years ive worked with disabled kids for years so it kinda matched my values)

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get emails about applying for scholarships, prior to getting accepted? I got an email about applying to scholarships the other day, but haven’t heard if I am accepted or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long it takes for admissions to get back to you?

I have an interview in April for the flex dpt program in St. Augustine. What can I expect from the interview as far as questions and other things for that day?

Hi! Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for St. Augustine FL campus DPT admits starting fall 2019? I put my deposit down and would like to connect with other potential students!! Please link it or message me if you know of one that’s been made :)

Are there any current USA-San Marcos, or even other campuses, students that wouldn’t mind answering some questions/concerns about the school that I’ve heard? I am really interested to hear a current students opinions and perspectives.

has anyone heard back for the Miami Summer program from the 3/1 interview date?

Yes just received my acceptance today
I didn't receive an email yet and am getting nervous... is it possible further acceptances will be sent out later? I know of few other people who received their acceptances today and am hoping more will come in the few days

Are there any current USA-San Marcos, or even other campuses, students that wouldn’t mind answering some questions/concerns about the school that I’ve heard? I am really interested to hear a current students opinions and perspectives.

Hey, I'm currently in my first term at the miami location... ask away

Hi! Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for St. Augustine FL campus DPT admits starting fall 2019? I put my deposit down and would like to connect with other potential students!! Please link it or message me if you know of one that’s been made :)
I don't think there is a page for Fall 2019 yet but there is a page for housing that I just joined. Let me know if you heard otherwise :)

Hey, I'm currently in my first term at the miami location... ask away

What is an average day like, how long are you at school for? Is it true that the residential program @ USA is going towards more of a hybrid approach? Does that mean you have no actually classes on campus and just labs? How do you like the style of learning?

How do you like it? What’s been the best thing so far? What’s been the most difficult?

So best aspect is meeting everyone in your cohort as well as upperclassmen and making friends. I try to be social, and everyone here is really cool/helpful, so if your're stuggling (as I have), there'll be support for you, professors included.

Most difficult... we just had midterms last week. 3.5hours of sleep/night. Muy stressful. Gross is the most demanding course. My advice is (and I wish I had gotten this) if you are currently accepted, start TONIGHT learning gross anatomy.
1. Download "Complete Anatomy" (free when you're a student, like 30$ since you're currently not= best 30$ ever spent if u study now)
2. Freaking STUDY- pretend like you're already in a doctorate program and learn (via Complete Anatomy App)
  • Bony landmarks of spine (c1-c7, T1-T12, L1-L5,S1-S5, Coccyx)
  • Corresponding Joints
  • Corresponding Ligaments
  • Muscles of the back and shoulder (for each muscle know Origin, Insertion, Action, Nerve Supply, and Arteriole Supply). And break up learning the muscles into superficial, intermediate, and deep groups as well to make it easier.
I can't tell you how much I wish I knew/cared to do this before starting. I had a solid 4 months before my program started, and I would have been set if I knew this info.

If you find yourself actually taking this angelic advice I bestow upon your naive asses, then work your way to learning the arm/brachial plexus via the same methods mentioned above. I promise you you'll be thanking me when we meet.

Reactions: 1 users
What is an average day like, how long are you at school for? Is it true that the residential program @ USA is going towards more of a hybrid approach? Does that mean you have no actually classes on campus and just labs? How do you like the style of learning?

At school all day every day my brothuh/sistuh. This really isn't meant to scare you, just tellin it as it is, but forget life outside of USA when you start. Unless, and ONLY unless you start learning Gross now, will you have some breathing room to go out maybe once a week, otherwise you're in for the long haul my friend. My roommate is one of the best in the class and he's at school from open to close as well.

Not sure about hybrids, tho would be nice to have Patho as an online course to use those 2 hours of lecture to study instead. Gross wet lab is the coolest. completely forgot when applying that we get to work with cadavers every week (not AS fun when your tested on each muscle or bony prominence hah). Soft Tissue Interventions is by far my favorite cuz you get to learn how to massage better and get a massage every friday. I honestly have just recently adjusted to the style of learning, which is the opposite of undergrad for me. Basically, Know the information before that class meeting, and know it well enough to be able to teach it to someone. It's a work in progress for me, but definitely a skill i gotta sharpen if i'm going to survive the 2nd and 3rd trimesters (hardest ones apparently).

Just study gross yo while you have the free time. My only advice, Study GROSS.... or else :bang:

At school all day every day my brothuh/sistuh. This really isn't meant to scare you, just tellin it as it is, but forget life outside of USA when you start. Unless, and ONLY unless you start learning Gross now, will you have some breathing room to go out maybe once a week, otherwise you're in for the long haul my friend. My roommate is one of the best in the class and he's at school from open to close as well.

Not sure about hybrids, tho would be nice to have Patho as an online course to use those 2 hours of lecture to study instead. Gross wet lab is the coolest. completely forgot when applying that we get to work with cadavers every week (not AS fun when your tested on each muscle or bony prominence hah). Soft Tissue Interventions is by far my favorite cuz you get to learn how to massage better and get a massage every friday. I honestly have just recently adjusted to the style of learning, which is the opposite of undergrad for me. Basically, Know the information before that class meeting, and know it well enough to be able to teach it to someone. It's a work in progress for me, but definitely a skill i gotta sharpen if i'm going to survive the 2nd and 3rd trimesters (hardest ones apparently).

Just study gross yo while you have the free time. My only advice, Study GROSS.... or else :bang:

Thank you for the advice, I will start doing that because I need some refreshers. So the Miami campus doesn’t do hybrid classes? I heard San Marcos is discussing it, just assumed the others were as well. What has your favorite class been? What is the style of course work, like how is it presented and such?

Thank you for the advice, I will start doing that because I need some refreshers. So the Miami campus doesn’t do hybrid classes? I heard San Marcos is discussing it, just assumed the others were as well. What has your favorite class been? What is the style of course work, like how is it presented and such?

Ya I don’t believe we discussed hybrid. STI is my fav cuz of the massages.
As far as the styles go, it’s expected that you come to class already knowing the material. This means even though u feel like you have to cram for a gross exam coming up ( as I currently ), you still have to study for your other classes. Which is another reason to knock that material out now while you have the chance.

So best aspect is meeting everyone in your cohort as well as upperclassmen and making friends. I try to be social, and everyone here is really cool/helpful, so if your're stuggling (as I have), there'll be support for you, professors included.

Most difficult... we just had midterms last week. 3.5hours of sleep/night. Muy stressful. Gross is the most demanding course. My advice is (and I wish I had gotten this) if you are currently accepted, start TONIGHT learning gross anatomy.
1. Download "Complete Anatomy" (free when you're a student, like 30$ since you're currently not= best 30$ ever spent if u study now)
2. Freaking STUDY- pretend like you're already in a doctorate program and learn (via Complete Anatomy App)
  • Bony landmarks of spine (c1-c7, T1-T12, L1-L5,S1-S5, Coccyx)
  • Corresponding Joints
  • Corresponding Ligaments
  • Muscles of the back and shoulder (for each muscle know Origin, Insertion, Action, Nerve Supply, and Arteriole Supply). And break up learning the muscles into superficial, intermediate, and deep groups as well to make it easier.
I can't tell you how much I wish I knew/cared to do this before starting. I had a solid 4 months before my program started, and I would have been set if I knew this info.

If you find yourself actually taking this angelic advice I bestow upon your naive asses, then work your way to learning the arm/brachial plexus via the same methods mentioned above. I promise you you'll be thanking me when we meet.

As a second year USA student I can agree. Find a quizlet with OINA's for muscles and do it for 1 hour every day until you start if you want to be extra. Do it when you're watching TV, or before you go to sleep at night. Just whatever works best for you with your learning style. No it isn't required, but it helps. A solid foundation of gross anatomy is essential and with they way PT school is set up, you either learn it then when you have time in your first semester, or you are forced to learn it later amidst 6 other classes... or you fail.

All that being said... I accepted last minute and did not do this and I was fine. Wasn't great at first and it was a lot of information to digest but everyone will be fine. Sure studying it all beforehand helps, but you aren't tested on the entirety of anatomy on day one. So remember this is only a suggestion. Once you start school it really does become your life so don't be afraid of missing out on studying.

Haha, my biggest concern when I started was about the 'hybrid' courses. I was in school a decent while ago and online classes were basically where some phantom shadow professor made me do a discussion board post where the obligatory "Great post *insert classmate I've never met here*, I really like the part where you said the thing". While I'm not going to say I haven't posted that response for a discussion board for our physical therapy practice class... I will say that the 'hybrid' part is really that.

But yes, dannymangs, you'll see that as you go along you'll be wanting less and less lectures. Give me more lab and less lectures.

Anyone else accepted for Fall 2019 San Marcos location?

Reactions: 1 users
I have yet to find one for fall 2019, I hope it gets put up soon!

were you able to send in a deposit? I can't access the student portal. I tried PM'ing you, but the it wouldn't let me haha

were you able to send in a deposit? I can't access the student portal. I tried PM'ing you, but the it wouldn't let me haha
Did you get an email about your how to login to my portal?

Hey there, so the time is quickly arriving for me to apply to PT school and obviously I am a nervous wreck. I will be applying to the University of St. Augustine in St. Augustine, Florida. Wanted to know if anyone else is in the same boat? Also wanted to see if any past or current students believe I have a chance at all because of my lower cGPA.

cGPA: 3.35
pGPA: 3.9
GRE: taking this next month
Hours: about 50 but will be observing 8 hours a week till June.
Volunteer work: 150+ hours at Nashville Women's mission, volunteer/observing at Vanderbilt Hospital, 5 hours at Grace Place Nashville.

Hey everyone, I got accepted about 2 months ago to the Miami campus for the 2019 Fall semester and had an online Skype interview around mid January. Last year I flew down to Miami late in the application cycle and was waitlisted. My GPA was abysmal but thankfully USA looked at the bigger picture. Those are great stats @dpt97

Hey everyone, I got accepted about 2 months ago to the Miami campus for the 2019 Fall semester and had an online Skype interview around mid January. Last year I flew down to Miami late in the application cycle and was waitlisted. My GPA was abysmal but thankfully USA looked at the bigger picture. Those are great stats @dpt97
Congrats on your acceptance! You did a Skype interview? How were you able to get one done by Skype, instead of having to go down there? Was it since you had already been to their campus before?

Hey there! I was recently accepted for the Austin Flex program! I've been reading through the comments but haven't seen anyone for this campus for May start date. Is there someone on here that is enrolled for this campus/ start date?

Do I need to bring anything to my interview? It is Tuesday, i’m Super nervous.

What was your CGPA, PGPA, GRE?

random question. is everyone going to wait to buy their books and see what the profs say on the first or just planning to buy everything before classes start?