This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humerus_pt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Just wanted to create a forum for those applying to USAHS for Spring 2019 (St. Augustine location)! I initially planned to apply for Fall 2018 but decided not to because my stats aren't competitive. My advisor (Juan) reached out last month & suggested that I apply for Spring 2019, so I'm currently working on my personal statement & taking post-bacc classes to increase my GPA.

Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.0
prereqGPA: 3.0
GRE: 149V, 152Q, 4.0W
Hours: 185 (peds, neuro, ortho outpatient)

I honestly still feel like my chances are super slim, but it's better than not trying! Anyways, I'd love to hear how everyone is coming along in their applications!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!! Thank you for creating this forum! my story is exactly like you I have a similar GPA and my advisor Juan advised me to push my application to Spring 2019. I still have one class that I need to take which is life cycle and retake the GRE. I hope we have a chance to be accepted!!

Hey!! Thank you for creating this forum! my story is exactly like you I have a similar GPA and my advisor Juan advised me to push my application to Spring 2019. I still have one class that I need to take which is life cycle and retake the GRE. I hope we have a chance to be accepted!!

It's so nice to hear that someone else is in the same boat as I am!! When are you planning on submitting your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!

I'm currently applying for the spring semester as well. I applied for the fall 2017 semester and received an interview but didn't get in. Hopefully can get a better result this time. I'll probably submit my application Monday.

Good luck!

It's so nice to hear that someone else is in the same boat as I am!! When are you planning on submitting your application?
I will submit my application after I finish this semester which is gonna be the beginning of May!!

Hey all!

I'm currently applying for the spring semester as well. I applied for the fall 2017 semester and received an interview but didn't get in. Hopefully can get a better result this time. I'll probably submit my application Monday.

Good luck!
What were your stats if you don't mind me asking!

Hello all! I'm actually submitting everything on Friday (for Miami)! I'm kind of in the same boat as you guys as far as GPA; My stats are as follows;

cGPA: 3.03
pGPA: 3.71
sGPA: 3.5
GRE: V - 163 Q -152 AWA - 4.5

Observation: about 800 hours in 3 different settings (Skilled Nursing Facility, Outpatient Clinic, Veteran's Administration Hospital)

I am sending my application with 2 pre-reqs courses pending -- A&P 2 and Kinesiology (advisor said that because my pre-reqs are almost done and look good (mostly A's and 1 C (freaking physics), that I should still be pretty competitive)..I am beyond nervous and excited at this point, and I'm hoping I'll be good to go for an interview at least.

I'm about 95% done with my personal statement, just trying to polish it as much as possible so that it communicates who I am rather than just another PT school candidate, I'm talking about how I was a personal trainer for 3 years (and how that made me love the anatomical sciences) how I tech'd for 7 months (part-time) and now I currently work for the Phoenix VA and I want to be a PT so I can help veterans.

I'd love to see how everyone progresses, and with any luck, we will all be classmates!

Been waiting for this thread! I've spent years doing everything i can to create as good of an application as possible. All I have left is Physics 1 and 2 and taking the GRE again. My stats arent all that high (which is why it took me a little bit of time to redo everything.) but im hoping they look at me holistically because everything else I've been doing screams that I really want to get into PT. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
Been waiting for this thread! I've spent years doing everything i can to create as good of an application as possible. All I have left is Physics 1 and 2 and taking the GRE again. My stats arent all that high (which is why it took me a little bit of time to redo everything.) but im hoping they look at me holistically because everything else I've been doing screams that I really want to get into PT. Good luck to you all!
Good luck to you dude, are you going to apply with outstanding pre-reqs?

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking!
Sure. Nothing impressive.
cGPA- 3.2
pGPA- 3.3
GRE- 145 V 156 Q 4.0 essay
I think my only saving grace is that I'm approaching 4,000 hours of experience in different clinics (work as an aide for a larger company) and my letters of rec from a few higher ups.

Do you all know when they would be doing interviews for Spring 2019?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you dude, are you going to apply with outstanding pre-reqs?

i actually just had physics in the summer and physics 2 in the fall.

darn, i hope i would still be in good standing if I apply in mid July. Especially if initial waves of interviews are in June

i actually just had physics in the summer and physics 2 in the fall.

darn, i hope i would still be in good standing if I apply in mid July. Especially if initial waves of interviews are in June

I think the deadline to submit an application for Spring 2019 (St. Augustine location) is June 15th.

I actually just got off the phone with Sarah McAvoy, and she said it would be in June...

Hmm that's really interesting that interviews would be in June, since the deadline to submit is June 15th. Did she also say when they usually send out acceptance/rejection letters?

I think the deadline to submit an application for Spring 2019 (St. Augustine location) is June 15th.

ive seen other cohorts have people submit their applications a couple months after the fact

So everyone, I had a long phone call with Sarah, and she put a lot of my concerns at ease. So what she told me is that they do not interview based on seats available, but on admissibility of the applicant. So realistically, if you present yourself as a good applicant, they will find a spot for you (it may be a cohort later or at a different location). Furthermore, the interview is extremely important, and that is where you really demonstrate your ability to be professional, and your bedside manner. So apply when you are comfortable, and if you get the interview, demonstrate not only why you want to be PT, but how you are going to benefit the patient.

Hmm that's really interesting that interviews would be in June, since the deadline to submit is June 15th. Did she also say when they usually send out acceptance/rejection letters?
They have typically more than 1 interview per cohort...it really is a free-flowing type of set-up I guess..

Application sent today 3/30, I will get an answer back about the interview on Monday or Tuesday!

Best of luck to you!!! Be sure to keep us updated!
UPDATE!

So I 'anxiety called' the lady who handles submitted applicants and asked her about my chances for an interview, and she told me that I had very competitive stats and to start looking at flights to Miami for an interview date of 4/12!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I should get the official email today!

UPDATE!

So I 'anxiety called' the lady who handles submitted applicants and asked her about my chances for an interview, and she told me that I had very competitive stats and to start looking at flights to Miami for an interview date of 4/12!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I should get the official email today!

YESS!! That's awesome!! Congrats and good luck!! :highfive:

UPDATE!

is this for spring 2019 or for the fall?

Hi everyone, so I actually applied to the summer flex dpt program for the Austin campus on March 12th and received an interview a few days ago for April 14th! Does anyone have any advice for the interview? Also I’m a little nervous about how late this interview is hence that the program starts in about a month

Hi friends, I just submitted my application for Spring 2019!!

Hi friends, I just submitted my application for Spring 2019!!
congrats, let me know when you get your interview, and I'll send you a link to my interview prep stuff on drive :)

I got accepted for Miami fall 2018! best of luck to everyone!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Im trying for Miami Spring 2019
Science GPA is a 3.3
GRE 152 Q, 150 V, 4.0 Writing
Over 300 hours of observation and currently completing my MHA
I hope I get in!

Hey y'all, I'm applying to Austin Spring 2019. Low cGPA (2.85) but hoping pGPA (3.35 will increase after retaking 2 classes), work experience (5+ years in multiple PT settings) and my Master's in Exercise Science help some. Good luck to future applicants!

So guys quick question. For the spring 2019 semester would it be a bad idea to apply in August? Would that be way too late? I ask because I had one prereq i wanted to retake in the summer to increase my chances, and I also wanted a little more time to study for my GRE.

Is spring 2019 the January start date? Because that's what I'm applying for, just need 1 more recommendation in and finish my statement

I submitted my application August 2017 for the January 2018 start date and was fine...decided last minute to apply. They were super lenient on the application deadline last year when I was doing this whole process.

So guys quick question. For the spring 2019 semester would it be a bad idea to apply in August? Would that be way too late? I ask because I had one prereq i wanted to retake in the summer to increase my chances, and I also wanted a little more time to study for my GRE.
They closed the January applications around August 12 last year. I took GRE on August 5 and submitted my application on August 10 when I received my score.

They closed the January applications around August 12 last year. I took GRE on August 5 and submitted my application on August 10 when I received my score.

You got your scores in 5 days? Dang, it took about 2 weeks when I took it to get my writing score

Only thing about me is im waiting on grades on the 8th of August. So good ides to submit my application once i get my grades?

Does anyone know how long the statement of purpose? I'm going to email their admissions and ask but just thought I'd see if anyone here has already done it and know what's best. All their website says is to write a short statement about why PT and why their school, but no details about how long or short it should be

Hey guys! I'm really glad I found this thread...I am applying for the Austin January 2019 start date. My friend got admitted for the Fall 2018 program and she told me a few things I thought I would pass along...She submitted her application in August, heard back in January about an interview for February, and got her acceptance in March. She said they're slow, and we probably won't start hearing back about interviews for January 2019 until 6-8 weeks after the deadline for the application closes (so like August/September ish). She also said they interview everyone that meets the MINIMUM qualifications. Anyone else feeling nervous?

A little about me...
pGPA: 3.7
cGPA: 3.63
GRE: 148 Q, 152 V, 5.5 W
2,000+ observation hours in 4 different settings

Does anyone know how long the statement of purpose? I'm going to email their admissions and ask but just thought I'd see if anyone here has already done it and know what's best. All their website says is to write a short statement about why PT and why their school, but no details about how long or short it should be
It said it should be between 1,400 and 2,000 words.

Hey guys! I'm really glad I found this thread...I am applying for the Austin January 2019 start date. My friend got admitted for the Fall 2018 program and she told me a few things I thought I would pass along...She submitted her application in August, heard back in January about an interview for February, and got her acceptance in March. She said they're slow, and we probably won't start hearing back about interviews for January 2019 until 6-8 weeks after the deadline for the application closes (so like August/September ish). She also said they interview everyone that meets the MINIMUM qualifications. Anyone else feeling nervous?

A little about me...
pGPA: 3.7
cGPA: 3.63
GRE: 148 Q, 152 V, 5.5 W
2,000+ observation hours in 4 different settings

Hey, thanks for sharing all that! It gives us a good timeline on when to expect a response :) I'm also really nervous but hopeful at the same time! Your stats look great so I'm sure you'll do fine!!

Hey, thanks for sharing all that! It gives us a good timeline on when to expect a response :) I'm also really nervous but hopeful at the same time! Your stats look great so I'm sure you'll do fine!!
Thanks :) I'm glad I'm not the only nervous one! Do you know if anyone's called the school to see if they have chosen dates for the interview yet? I was reading last years forum (not like I'm impatient or anything), and the students were saying they did not hear back until August 15th, because interview dates weren't chosen until end of July!

A friend of mine initially applied for Spring 2019 but they called him a week ago to ask him if he wanted to move his app up to fall 2018 because they still had seats available. He just had his interview this past Friday. Is that a good thing if they called to move his app up?

Last edited:
A friend of mine initially applied for Spring 2018 but they called him a week ago to ask him if he wanted to move his app up to fall 2018 because they still has seats available. He just had his interview this past Friday. Is that a good thing if they called to move his app up?
I'd think so! They will probably only call people who don't have outstanding pre-requisite classes. It just means they did not fill their class and are calling qualified applicants. I bet he will get in.

I'd think so! They will probably only call people who don't have outstanding pre-requisite classes. It just means they did not fill their class and are calling qualified applicants. I bet he will get in.
I hope so! His gre was 2 points under what they recommend but he has everything else

Thanks :) I'm glad I'm not the only nervous one! Do you know if anyone's called the school to see if they have chosen dates for the interview yet? I was reading last years forum (not like I'm impatient or anything), and the students were saying they did not hear back until August 15th, because interview dates weren't chosen until end of July!

Lol I read through last year's forums too! When I last spoke with the admissions advisor for St. Augustine, she said interviews are usually held in late July/early August, so it'll probably be around the same time as last year's interviews! I also read on those forums that it takes them about 2-3 weeks to make a decision so hopefully we hear from them soon!!