University of St. Augustine Fall 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmabeza509

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been lurking for a good while and decided to start a thread for those applying for Fall 2019. I just got an email for an interview at the Miami campus on Feb. 1st. Can anyone who has gone through the interview process let me know how it went/questions that they asked.

Also would like to see who I'll be meeting there hehe.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else get interviews still waiting on word back for me.

I interviewed at San Marcos in November and was accepted the first week of December.

Some questions they asked:

How do you deal with stress?
What would you do if you saw your colleague cheating?
Why PT?
Tell me about yourself

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at San Marcos in November and was accepted the first week of December.

Some questions they asked:

How do you deal with stress?
What would you do if you saw your colleague cheating?
Why PT?
Tell me about yourself

I appreciate the input, Did they have an interview essay that you had to complete?

Accepted to Austin campus for Fall!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! I've been lurking for a good while and decided to start a thread for those applying for Fall 2019. I just got an email for an interview at the Miami campus on Feb. 1st. Can anyone who has gone through the interview process let me know how it went/questions that they asked.

Also would like to see who I'll be meeting there hehe.
Is anyone else going to the Miami Interview on Feb 1? I was told Miami didn’t have a interview on Feb 1.

Finally going to look to apply for the flex program in the fall. Going to Apply by Mid-March and hopefully there are still some spots availible.

Accepted to Austin campus for Fall!

hey congratulations!! i applied october 15th and sent in my GRE scores on November 30th and still havent heard anything back... *6 to 8 weeks after november 30th* for the fall semester this year OTD program.

do they let us know by email or mail? getting a little worried and anxious now.. :(

hey congratulations!! i applied october 15th and sent in my GRE scores on November 30th and still havent heard anything back... *6 to 8 weeks after november 30th* for the fall semester this year OTD program.

do they let us know by email or mail? getting a little worried and anxious now.. :(
Did you interview yet? Also I'm DPT not OT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted for Fall 2019, St. Augustine campus. Has anyone heard back yet?

Congrats to those that were accepted! My application just went through today, I was originally going to apply for the Spring 2020 Cohort for San Marcos but Chelsea encouraged me to apply to this one because there were still spots left. Hopefully I get an interview and acceptance, I am anxiously waiting.

Just got an email from admissions saying I was accepted into their Fall program! I was super relieved considering how low my academic stats were...

Just got an email from admissions saying I was accepted into their Fall program! I was super relieved considering how low my academic stats were...
Congrats, may I ask what your stats were? When did you submit and interview?

Congrats, may I ask what your stats were? When did you submit and interview?

I'm actually embarrassed to share this since they are so low, but I'll do it to give others hope and show that they can get in with sub 3.0 GPAs

Overall GPA: 2.76 (College was an interesting time in my life l o l)
Pre-Req GPA:2.93
GRE: 149V, 151M, 3.5 W

Volunteer/Work experience:

PT Aide @ outpatient clinic: 1 year, 500~ hours
Rehab Tech @ Morristown Medical Center: 3 years, 2500~ hours (I honestly think this is what helped me a ton)

--

I applied in early September (deadline was Oct.15) and heard back for my pre admission in December. I was notified for my interview in mid January (for Feb.1). Just heard back yesterday for my acceptance yesterday.

I was talking to the admissions coordinator to follow up on my acceptance, and they said that I was very strong with my interview (very personable, outgoing, strong responses to questions)

Honestly if you think you'll have trouble with your interview, look up "A New Exercise: How to Succeed at the Interview for a DPT Program".

I swear by this book. It helped me tremendously in formulating my answers to common questions, as well as picking up on certain mannerisms, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm actually embarrassed to share this since they are so low, but I'll do it to give others hope and show that they can get in with sub 3.0 GPAs

Rehab Tech @ Morristown Medical Center: 3 years, 2500~ hours (I honestly think this is what helped me a ton)

--

I applied in early September (deadline was Oct.15) and heard back for my pre admission in December. I was notified for my interview in mid January (for Feb.1). Just heard back yesterday for my acceptance yesterday.

I was talking to the admissions coordinator to follow up on my acceptance, and they said that I was very strong with my interview (very personable, outgoing, strong responses to questions)

Honestly if you think you'll have trouble with your interview, look up "A New Exercise: How to Succeed at the Interview for a DPT Program".

I swear by this book. It helped me tremendously in formulating my answers to common questions, as well as picking up on certain mannerisms, etc.
this is actually real encouraging my man!

my stats are similar to yours all around except for an overall GRE and a higher prereq GPA. I was thinking about applying with subpar numbers from did not want to risk it all the way so i held off a bit. Life got in the way and now I wanted to apply for the fall, but it seems I wont be able to fully apply for the fall semester until at the very least early May. I'm about to be 30 so I really cant delay this much longer lol, I really wanted to get the ball rolling in the fall but I think that may be too late. I was going for the flex option if that even makes a difference in my case.

--

Congrats though, that is a lot of observation hours! I always think tell myself that GPA isn't everything. I applied later because Chelsea told me to move my application from Spring 2020 to Fall 2019. I submitted my PTCAS application on Thursday the 7th, had my pre admission on Tuesday the 12th. I am hoping to hear that I get an interview, I am honestly in love with this school. I am super nervous honestly, it is so hard to wait to hear anything.

Anyone commit to San Marcos Fall 2019 and wanna connect or know of a cohort FB page yet?

I’m nervous that there are no more seats at USA San Marcos for Fall, because I’ve seen a lot of people say they wer accepted but not sure which campus for some. Chelsea told me today that I’ll hear in 2-4 weeks about a decision, i’m Super nervous. My stats are pretty average, but my GPA for the last whatever number of credits is between a 3.7-3.8. Wish me luck!

I had a really weird experience applying for this fall and was curious if anyone else had a similar situation. I applied back in October to start this fall at the Austin campus. I was told that they were still trying to finalize January and May starts and that was the priority. I got an email 2 weeks ago finally saying that my application was now starting to be reviewed. Has this happened to anyone else? Also, how long did it take to hear back after the initial review?

I’m nervous that there are no more seats at USA San Marcos for Fall, because I’ve seen a lot of people say they wer accepted but not sure which campus for some. Chelsea told me today that I’ll hear in 2-4 weeks about a decision, i’m Super nervous. My stats are pretty average, but my GPA for the last whatever number of credits is between a 3.7-3.8. Wish me luck!

They contacted me two weeks after I sent my application. Chelsea told me to put my application for Fall 2019 since they still need to fill in some spots for the cohort. I have an interview on 3/5.

They contacted me two weeks after I sent my application. Chelsea told me to put my application for Fall 2019 since they still need to fill in some spots for the cohort. I have an interview on 3/5.
Mine was similar, I was going to apply for Spring 2020 but was told to put it in for this one if I can and wanted to. So it only took 2 weeks to hear back? Good luck on your interview.

Mine was similar, I was going to apply for Spring 2020 but was told to put it in for this one if I can and wanted to. So it only took 2 weeks to hear back? Good luck on your interview.

Thanks! And yeah about two weeks. Honestly didn’t feel too long to get a response

Anyone commit to San Marcos Fall 2019 and wanna connect or know of a cohort FB page yet?
Hi! I also got accepted and am interested in any page if anyone has any information :)

--

I also used the book and found it super helpful for my interview!

Did anyone get emails about applying for scholarships, prior to getting accepted? I got an email about applying to scholarships the other day, but haven’t heard if I am accepted or not.

For those attending the Austin campus, does anyone know when is the best time to begin looking for apartments?

I never thought I’d say this but... I got an interview at the San Marcos campus and I’m super excited and nervous! It’s about a month away, so does anyone have any further/more details?

I never thought I’d say this but... I got an interview at the San Marcos campus and I’m super excited and nervous! It’s about a month away, so does anyone have any further/more details?
Congrats! What are your stats and hours?

You sit in a room with a bunch of applicants and they give out several presentations such as financial aid, director giving a brief background of herself and the program, and current students sharing their experience. You split into two groups, one goes on tour and other groups go in for the interview. I did my interview with one faculty and another applicant, which lasted about 20 minutes.

Congrats! What are your stats and hours?

My cGPA is only a 3.21, because my year and a half of transfer credits at a community college was right out of HS and I only got a 2.09 due to some personal situations. But my GPA over the last 10 quarters at my University was a 3.65, which is where I did most all of my prerequisites. I have 300 hours of observation hours in inpatient and outpatient setting (Geriatrics, general ortho, pediatrics, sports, neurological, and cardiac/pulmonary). I also have over 2000+ hours of various volunteering with YoungLife, Special Olympics, and a Children's Advocacy Center.

You sit in a room with a bunch of applicants and they give out several presentations such as financial aid, director giving a brief background of herself and the program, and current students sharing their experience. You split into two groups, one goes on tour and other groups go in for the interview. I did my interview with one faculty and another applicant, which lasted about 20 minutes.

Thank you for the insight, it is helpful! How did you like the campus and atmosphere?

Thank you for the insight, it is helpful! How did you like the campus and atmosphere?

Campus looks great. They're currently building a research facility by fall or summer, which is a good idea in my opinion. They're pushing more towards the research side of PT rather than the manual therapy. They also recently changed into a hybrid program so I don't really know how I feel about that.

Campus looks great. They're currently building a research facility by fall or summer, which is a good idea in my opinion. They're pushing more towards the research side of PT rather than the manual therapy. They also recently changed into a hybrid program so I don't really know how I feel about that.

Hybrid? Like Baylor’s hybrid program or what? Idk how I feel about that.

Hey just saw this was curious what you meant as well. I plan on applying for fall of 2020

curious about this as well! do you mind giving me some insight as well?

Are you both curious about St. Augustine's transitioning to a hybrid? You can just PM me questions you guys have.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the St. Augustine Campus still has slots open for the Fall start date?

Hybrid? Like Baylor’s hybrid program or what? Idk how I feel about that.

No. Not like Baylor. My understanding is that Baylor's program is primarily online lectures for the first part of a semester, followed by mandatory in-person labs and hands on work the remaining part of the semester. I could be wrong about that, but it honestly doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I'm currently in my 2nd year at USA on their current residential curriculum. I'm not sure when you say hybrid if you mean the residential or flex... but here are my thoughts regardless:

The 'Hybrid' part of the residential consists of basically time allotted during the week for either an online lecture or personal study time to watch the additional lectures they provide. Its not the same for every class. Some classes that are considered more filler classes will have more of an online component and you'll be thankful. Most classes have in person lectures at least 1x/week. As you progress through the program and it moves from memorization of massive amounts to material to application, you'll want less and less time in class for lectures and more time to practice and study. You will spend plenty of time on campus. This semester our class is on campus in for lectures, labs, presentations roughly 45 hours a week... but others? 20-30.. it will vary week to week and semester to semester.

Remember that your success as a student isn't dependent on if someone is face to face with you, its your own personal engagement into a subject and how you synthesize the information. I would suggest venturing over to the physical therapy forum and look for what current PTs and SPTs have to say about how they would ideally have PT school set up.

Did anyone on this thread get accepted to their Fall 2019 cohort at the Austin campus?

Reactions: 2 users