University of Southern Nevada Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandydp6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just starting the new thread for fall 2011 matriculation...who else is applying here?

Members don't see this ad.

This post came from another thread but I'll answer it here.

I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions. I will be applying to the pharmacy program this fall and would like more information about the program from current students.

-I want to know in particular how the block systems works and if students like this.
-How many exams are typically given weekly and in each block system.

Also, my GPA is not that great, I have a 3.0 Cumulative and a 3.5 science, with a Bachelor's in Biology. I have 6yrs of retail pharmacy experience and plan to take my PCAT in the next couple months. Any advice to my chances of being admitted to the program? Do you think my GPA is too low?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The curriculum is broken up into blocks of varying length. A block can be as few as four or five lectures but others can last several weeks. However, the classes and exams are on a regular repeating two week schedule.

Here is the typical P1 schedule. I'm going to start on the first Tuesday after an exam.

Tu lecture 8-3 (one hour lunch break)
Wed lecture 8-3
Thurs lecture 8-3
Fri IPPE (you spend the day working in your assigned pharmacy)

Mon lecture 8-3 - Calculations or Communications block (you will occasionally have a exam on this day)
Tu lecture 8-3
Wed lecture 8-3
Thurs lecture 8-3 (most days you get out early, often before lunch)
Friday exam day (usually done prior to 1pm)

Monday- if you passed the exam, you get a day off; if you didn't, you retake a similar but different exam
repeat cycle

To summarize, you take an exam once every other Friday and if you pass, you get a three day weekend. I can't describe how much I love that part. The downside is if you don't pass all your friends are enjoying a three day weekend while you are majorly stressing out. That hasn't happened to me so I just love my three day weekends. You will also have an occasional exam on the Monday of the Calculation/Communications block and that sometimes happens in the same week as your Friday exam. If I recall correctly, there were three Communications exams and five Calculations exams spread throughout the year.

Since the blocks are of varying lengths, some exams will test only one block but other will test material from the end of one block and the beginning of another. Different professors come in and teach a specific topic, sometimes for only a day, so you can have material from as many as four or more professors on one exam. Exams typically cover material from six lectures and usually the lecture on the Thursday before the exam is not covered on the next day's exam. Many people skip that lecture to study for the Friday exam so class is pretty empty that day.

I personally like the block system. I'm going to miss my every other week three day weekends when I'm done with classroom time. It is also nice to have a regular schedule so there aren't really extra stressful times like you would have during midterms or finals week at a traditional school. I also like focusing on just one topic at time. I don't have to worry about neglecting one class while I focus on another (with the exception of the Calc/Comm blocks).

One downside is that you are trading the stress of midterms and finals for the ongoing stress of regular exams. If you slack off for more than a few days, you are going to have trouble passing the exams. The block system requires you to put in the time on a regular basis and not neglect your studies like you can sometimes get away with on a traditional semester system.

Another downside is that you will forget the material a couple blocks ago. USN is very much a binge and purge type of situation. It is almost a constant state of cramming. Since we don't have finals, there isn't a chance to go over material you learned weeks or months ago to get it into your long term memory. I was a bit worried about this until I met pharmacists who attended USN and they reassured me that the material is still in your head deep down and will reemerge when you study for the boards. I'm hoping they are right.

As for the admissions stats, I'm not sure. For my year, a 3.0 was a bit on the low side. I applied before the PCAT was required and I believe the average GPA was a 3.7. However, since the PCAT became a requirement, the number of applicants dropped significantly and I've heard from my friends doing the interviews, that the GPAs may have dropped as well. If I had to guess and I emphasis that this is only a guess, I'd say that your stats are good enough to get an interview assuming you have a decent PCAT score. USN weights the interview heavily so if you get one, it is up to you to make the sale.

Members don't see this ad :)
Diastole is beating everyone to the punch! I was accepted into the class of 2013, and I feel like Diastole was right about the stats. It has a chance to be good enough for the interview, but once you do get an interview, its based on that. After my interview, the student that was in my group was walking me back to the commons area and said, "That was the best interview Ive heard this year, you'll get a call within a week." 5 days later Dr. DeYoung called haha :D .

On the website, it says they don't usually interview until the beginning of the year, but reading last year's forum, I saw interviews actually began in November? Do you guys know the plan for this year?

On the website, it says they don't usually interview until the beginning of the year, but reading last year's forum, I saw interviews actually began in November? Do you guys know the plan for this year?

I have no idea. I heard that they were thinking of making some changes to the secret formula that grants points for PCAT scores, GPA, etc., but I don't know if they were going to change things beyond that like the way they do interviews. I'm sure somebody will make a post if they get an interview or learn about the dates but you probably won't hear anything until later in the fall.

I have no idea. I heard that they were thinking of making some changes to the secret formula that grants points for PCAT scores, GPA, etc., but I don't know if they were going to change things beyond that like the way they do interviews. I'm sure somebody will make a post if they get an interview or learn about the dates but you probably won't hear anything until later in the fall.

One thing I know they are changing about the formula from what Mr. DeYoung told me was that the College will award a preference to candidates with baccalaureate degrees or higher in the physical or health sciences (in contrast to past admission cycles where candidates with a baccalaureate degree of any kind received a preference).
Still stinks for me, as I still won't have completed a Bachelor's :(

Thanks for the advice and the great explaination of the block system Diastole. It seems like a good system, that's great that student's don't have to worry about midterm and finals, but just the current information!

Anyone recommend certain study guides that I should get and practice from before taking the PCAT this fall? Any major areas that I should concentrate on? I think I'm pretty good on Anatomy and Pysiology, but will probably have to go over some chemistry stuff since I haven't had a chemistry class in three years.

Thanks

The Kaplan book is a good start for bio and gen. chem. It is not very good for math and organic chemistry. I highly recommend purchasing the Pearson practice exams. Take one when you still have time to study to see what areas you need to focus on. I took my first one and nearly went into a panic because there was math on the exam that I did not remember and wasn't even mentioned in the Kaplan book. Fortunately, I still had time to look those topics up and refresh my memory but I would have completely freaked out if I discovered this long forgotten math on PCAT day. Also the pacing of the math is pretty brutal if you aren't prepared for it so it helps to have a couple of exams under your belt to get used to that.

Some people have had a lot of luck with Dr. Collins. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it but if you look on the PCAT forums, you should find plenty of information about its pros and cons.

Diastole, you explained that students get the Monday off after an exam if they passed it. What happens to students that don't pass the remediation exam on that Monday? What is the remediation policy and is their good tutors and things available if someone needs one? What happens if someone doesn't pass an exam? Do they repeat that block class at a later date or do they get dropped out? How many students graduate out of those being accepted? Does the school have 100% pass rate?

I just didn't see these things on the website, it would be great if someone could clarify these things for me.

Thanks!

I'm reapplying atleast there is a chance next cycle I will get an earlier interview

Diastole, you explained that students get the Monday off after an exam if they passed it. What happens to students that don't pass the remediation exam on that Monday? What is the remediation policy and is their good tutors and things available if someone needs one? What happens if someone doesn't pass an exam? Do they repeat that block class at a later date or do they get dropped out? How many students graduate out of those being accepted? Does the school have 100% pass rate?

I just didn't see these things on the website, it would be great if someone could clarify these things for me.

Thanks!

If you don't pass the reassessment on Monday, you have to give up a week in the summer to go over the old material and retake another exam. If you don't pass again in the summer then things get ugly fast. You have to sit out a year while you wait for your block to come up again. You only pay a prorated amount of tuition but you still have to give up a year and I believe that you have to start paying back your student loans because you will be less than a half time student. It is also possible to get kicked out if you fail more than five blocks over the year. A lot of people will drop out on their own if it gets close to that point but I heard a few people in the Class of 2011 actually got kicked out for that reason.

If you have to remediate on a Monday, there is a review just before the exam. I don't know how helpful that is because you take the exam right after so there isn't a lot of time to correct things if you have misconceptions. There are no tutors but your fellow classmates are pretty helpful when it comes sharing notes and charts, answering questions etc. I personally think that they should consider adding more help for people struggling but I haven't heard about any plans to do so.

I don't know what the graduation rate is but I expect it to drop. When I came in, they told me it was a 95% on time graduation rate with not all of those due to academics. The class ahead of me has had more dropouts than that and my class has the highest dropout rate ever. We started out with 146 students and we lost 15-20 so far and maybe more after the summer remediation. I think they are doing better in Utah but I don't have the numbers. Hopefully everyone will make it through the P2 year but who knows? Not all of those people dropped for academic reasons so I expect some will still graduate eventually. You can call the school and ask for the graduation rate but the number they give might not be the best reflection of the current situation.

What do you mean by 100% pass rate? If you are talking about the NAPLEX, I believe it was between 97 and 98% for the last year available. If you are asking about exams or graduation rate then the answer is no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again Diastole. I'll have to check with Utah for their statistics. What is the grade that you have to get to pass each exam?

How do you think the first year is so far? Do you feel like you were well prepared from your undergraduate studies?

Thanks again Diastole. I'll have to check with Utah for their statistics. What is the grade that you have to get to pass each exam?

How do you think the first year is so far? Do you feel like you were well prepared from your undergraduate studies?

This is the latest thing I can find on their website regarding their transfer-out rate. It only covers up through class of 2009 though.

http://www.usn.edu/pdfs/USN_Graduation_Transfer_Out_Rates.pdf

P.S. Diastole, you are awesome for all your insight! So much appreciated!!!

Thanks for the advice and the great explaination of the block system Diastole. It seems like a good system, that's great that student's don't have to worry about midterm and finals, but just the current information!

Anyone recommend certain study guides that I should get and practice from before taking the PCAT this fall? Any major areas that I should concentrate on? I think I'm pretty good on Anatomy and Pysiology, but will probably have to go over some chemistry stuff since I haven't had a chemistry class in three years.

Thanks

I am taking the August PCAT and am currently enrolled in Kaplan's prep course. I am actually taking the course for the second time, because they offer a "Higher Score Guarantee" that says if you're not happy with your PCAT score, you can take the course again with them for free. I take full responsibility for my ridiculously low score, and I don't blame Kaplan for it. I did not take advantage of all they had to offer. I did all the REQUIRED (required in order to take advantage of high score guarantee) homework, but nothing extra, and just simply did not put in sufficient time for it. This time, I am putting a significantly larger amount of effort in to it, and I should get a better score.
All that said, the Kaplan course is ridiculously expensive, and for many people just buying the study books at a bookstore is sufficient. Me, not so much.

Oh, I didn't explain how the assessments work yet. At the beginning of the year, you are assigned to a team of seven. You work with this team all year to do daily team activities, team assessments, a couple team presentations, and a skit or two. On the Fridays of your assessment, you first take the exam by yourself, and then you meet with your team and take the exact same exam as a group. The assessments are typically 60 questions, are multiple choice, and last for two hours. You generally get 45 minutes to an hour to complete the team assessment. If the team passes with a 95% and they nearly almost always do, you get an extra 5% added to your score. You need a 90% to pass but only an 85% if you get team points.

After the individual and team assessments, there is a review session but it is really a "how can I convince the prof to give me credit for these questions I missed so I can have my three day weekend" session. The profs go through the exam one by one and explain the correct answer. After each question, they will hear arguments about why your incorrect answer really is correct. Sometimes questions are worded badly and open to multiple interpretations so there are legitimate reasons to give credit for multiple answers. Other times people come up with crazy arguments just to try to get an extra point. I personally hate these sessions because I just want to go home and we will be spending twenty minutes arguing over one question. That part is no fun at all. But I would say that on average, two or three questions get overturned so that helps with the passing rate.

If you don't get enough points to pass, then on Monday you have to reassess but this time you don't get team points so you have to get 90% on your own. I know from the comments last year that people really freak out when they hear that 90% figure. I don't think it is that bad. Remember that the exam is multiple choice so you only have to recognize the correct answer. You can get an answer correct just by knowing that it is a drug that starts with F. One friend told me when in doubt, pick the longest answer. You'd be surprised how often that holds true.

You will get lots of different opinions on how difficult USN really is. Some people will say that it is outrageously hard and other don't think it is that bad. I am in the latter camp. I didn't stress out too much and the only time I sacrificed sleep was when I got addicted to a video game and stayed up late at night playing. I have seen some of my friends get really stressed out about it all so you won't find me arguing with people who say that they have to study all the time and the stress is tough to handle. For some people, that is their reality. For me, I found it to be quite manageable. My undergraduate studies did prepare me well. I'm a nontraditional student but I spent my formative years in a UC so challenging coursework feels normal.

I am taking the August PCAT and am currently enrolled in Kaplan's prep course. I am actually taking the course for the second time, because they offer a "Higher Score Guarantee" that says if you're not happy with your PCAT score, you can take the course again with them for free. I take full responsibility for my ridiculously low score, and I don't blame Kaplan for it. I did not take advantage of all they had to offer. I did all the REQUIRED (required in order to take advantage of high score guarantee) homework, but nothing extra, and just simply did not put in sufficient time for it. This time, I am putting a significantly larger amount of effort in to it, and I should get a better score.
All that said, the Kaplan course is ridiculously expensive, and for many people just buying the study books at a bookstore is sufficient. Me, not so much.
hey mandy! i am taking the kaplan prep course also and plan on taking the august pcat. was kaplan helpful? what do you suggest to do for kaplan? are the practice ?harder than real test? thanks alot

hey mandy! i am taking the kaplan prep course also and plan on taking the august pcat. was kaplan helpful? what do you suggest to do for kaplan? are the practice ?harder than real test? thanks alot

Well I didn't do things correctly the first time around, hence me needing to enroll a second time lol. But, this time I have been spending AT LEAST a few hours every day going over all their assigned homework. You will see there are certain assignments that are "required" of you in order to be eligible for their high score guarantee, but then they also have stuff that is "recommended" and "additional". This stuff I didn't even touch last time, but this time I am doing EVERYTHING, including reading all the chapters in their "review notes". They say that the stuff in their review notes is sufficient for the PCAT and you only need to refer to textbooks if there are concepts that you still don't fully grasp.
I actually think their practice exams are pretty similar to how the actual PCAT was, if I can remember. I just simply did not devote sufficient time last time around, and it was reflected in my score. Take advantage of all the resources they offer, after all, you did invest a lot of money into it.
Some people will tell you that it is a waste of money, but they way I see it is it can't hurt me, and if my score increases in the end, then it was worth every penny for me.

I will be applying this cycle too. USN is the only school to which I am applying. Just took the June PCAT and got a 91 overall, but only a 77 in chem. I'm a nontraditional with a bachelors degree in univ studies/community health education, and plan on later adding an MPH (hoping to focus on epidemiology) to the Pharm D if I can get in to the Pharm program. My overall gpa is 3.73, but the science prereq GPA is somewhere between 3.5 and 3.6, and I still need OChem 2, which I will take in the Spring term. I am hoping the stats are good enough to get an interview, but am worried because I am not your typical go-getter-this-is-what-I-have-always-wanted-to-do pre-Pharm student.

I will be applying this cycle too. USN is the only school to which I am applying. Just took the June PCAT and got a 91 overall, but only a 77 in chem. I'm a nontraditional with a bachelors degree in univ studies/community health education, and plan on later adding an MPH (hoping to focus on epidemiology) to the Pharm D if I can get in to the Pharm program. My overall gpa is 3.73, but the science prereq GPA is somewhere between 3.5 and 3.6, and I still need OChem 2, which I will take in the Spring term. I am hoping the stats are good enough to get an. interview, but am worried because I am not your typical go-getter-this-is-what-I-have-always-wanted-to-do pre-Pharm student.

I am not the typical "this is what I've always wanted to do" student either. I didn't realize I wanted to pursue pharmacy until the end of my military enlistment. That doesn't mean anything to me, because now that I've decided on this, it's the one and only thing I want to do. A 91 overall is amazing if you ask me, regardless of the 77 in chem...and even the 77 is pretty good. I'm an applicant like you, but I think you're stats are more than enough to get an interview. Do you have any pharmacy experience? I think that will help.

I will be applying this cycle too. USN is the only school to which I am applying. Just took the June PCAT and got a 91 overall, but only a 77 in chem. I'm a nontraditional with a bachelors degree in univ studies/community health education, and plan on later adding an MPH (hoping to focus on epidemiology) to the Pharm D if I can get in to the Pharm program. My overall gpa is 3.73, but the science prereq GPA is somewhere between 3.5 and 3.6, and I still need OChem 2, which I will take in the Spring term. I am hoping the stats are good enough to get an interview, but am worried because I am not your typical go-getter-this-is-what-I-have-always-wanted-to-do pre-Pharm student.

USN has a fair number of nontraditionals. I doubt anyone will hold that against you.

I am not the typical "this is what I've always wanted to do" student either. I didn't realize I wanted to pursue pharmacy until the end of my military enlistment. That doesn't mean anything to me, because now that I've decided on this, it's the one and only thing I want to do. A 91 overall is amazing if you ask me, regardless of the 77 in chem...and even the 77 is pretty good. I'm an applicant like you, but I think you're stats are more than enough to get an interview. Do you have any pharmacy experience? I think that will help.

USN has a fair number of nontraditionals. I doubt anyone will hold that against you.

OK that makes me feel a little better.

I just arrived at Nellis last night (my husband is assigned here for the next 4 yrs) and once school starts for the kids, I am going to see about volunteering at the MTF Pharmacy.

On a side note - it is darn hot and dry!!! We moved from the mountains east of Albuquerque, NM, and we had started our monsoon season in NM already, and we traveled through Flagstaff, which was in the 60s and rainy this past weekend, so today was quite an adjustment to the system.

OK that makes me feel a little better.

I just arrived at Nellis last night (my husband is assigned here for the next 4 yrs) and once school starts for the kids, I am going to see about volunteering at the MTF Pharmacy.

On a side note - it is darn hot and dry!!! We moved from the mountains east of Albuquerque, NM, and we had started our monsoon season in NM already, and we traveled through Flagstaff, which was in the 60s and rainy this past weekend, so today was quite an adjustment to the system.

That's funny. I was outside for a few hours yesterday afternoon and I was thinking what a lovely day it was. It seemed a bit cooler than normal.

That's funny. I was outside for a few hours yesterday afternoon and I was thinking what a lovely day it was. It seemed a bit cooler than normal.

Yeah someone told me the pool water was cooler than usual b/c we were having a cool spell.....thought I mis-heard her but I guess not. I was at the shaded playground yesterday at 9am and sweating and the other mom (who had moved from Phoenix) there with me and I were amazed that it was only 9am. I fell asleep last night at 930 to the sounds of kids on the playground....I assume b/c the sun was gone and it was in the 80s so they had come back out...

Do you know of anyone who does the commute to USN from N. Las Vegas? I am wondering how heinous it would be to go from the base to USN every day. I figure its just a shot down 15 and then off at the beltway(? or 95?) to Henderson. We're living on base.

Yeah someone told me the pool water was cooler than usual b/c we were having a cool spell.....thought I mis-heard her but I guess not. I was at the shaded playground yesterday at 9am and sweating and the other mom (who had moved from Phoenix) there with me and I were amazed that it was only 9am. I fell asleep last night at 930 to the sounds of kids on the playground....I assume b/c the sun was gone and it was in the 80s so they had come back out...

Do you know of anyone who does the commute to USN from N. Las Vegas? I am wondering how heinous it would be to go from the base to USN every day. I figure its just a shot down 15 and then off at the beltway(? or 95?) to Henderson. We're living on base.

I know somebody who lives near the base. I think it takes her 45 minutes in the morning and she plans the times she leaves school around traffic. If it is the heavy commute time, she just stays and studies until traffic is a bit lighter.

Yikes. Ok thanks. We are boarding our pets 20 min from the base (west) and my husband complained because I "couldn't find anything closer" - according to him it was waaaaay across town. I told him get used to 20 minutes being nothing, esp since we live on the base. I learned my lesson not to drive down Las Vegas Blvd from the base to the childrens museum yesterday. My kids got a nice local tour of *beautiful* North Las Vegas. I could use that drive for a "don't do drugs" visual lecture.

Now I just have to see about getting an interview and getting accepted before I worry any more about the commute. My husband apparently was not listening before because his jaw hit the floor when I told him the tuition rate last night when we were discussing his new job/schedule and whether this is in the least bit feasible for our family for me to pursue this.

I am planning to apply for Fall 2011. On their website, they say that the application is not available until September and the deadline is December. Is their application long? Do you think we will have time to complete it with all of the transcript request and such.

Anyway, I am very anxious to put in the application, but I guess I have to wait.

This is my stat:
MS in Chemistry, GPA 3.89
BS in Biochemistry, GPA 3.83
PCAT 99% (with 98% Biology and 99% Chemistry)

I am planning to apply for Fall 2011. On their website, they say that the application is not available until September and the deadline is December. Is their application long? Do you think we will have time to complete it with all of the transcript request and such.

Anyway, I am very anxious to put in the application, but I guess I have to wait.

This is my stat:
MS in Chemistry, GPA 3.89
BS in Biochemistry, GPA 3.83
PCAT 99% (with 98% Biology and 99% Chemistry)

You will have plenty of time to get your application in. its 9-10 pages if I remember, and the things that take the most time are answering the essay questions/personal statements. You may need a little time calculating the GPA if you use academic forgiveness and putting your EC's down, but its really a straightforward application. The sooner you get it in, the more likely you get an early interview. And from the sounds of things, earlier interviews have better chances at getting in. But just to contrast that I sent in my app in early November, got invited to interview mid Feb., then heard back 5 days later that I was accepted, so my interview went well :D

You will have plenty of time to get your application in. its 9-10 pages if I remember, and the things that take the most time are answering the essay questions/personal statements. You may need a little time calculating the GPA if you use academic forgiveness and putting your EC's down, but its really a straightforward application. The sooner you get it in, the more likely you get an early interview. And from the sounds of things, earlier interviews have better chances at getting in. But just to contrast that I sent in my app in early November, got invited to interview mid Feb., then heard back 5 days later that I was accepted, so my interview went well :D

Thanks Trankuil! Are you starting this fall?

Thanks Trankuil! Are you starting this fall?

Yep, Orientation starts the 25th, White Coat Cerimony the 26th, and class starts the 30th. Im at the South Jordan Utah Campus. Really excited for classes to start.

When does the application cycle start? When are the first interviews?

Their pharmacy cycle.

Oh ok well their PharmD applications will open online in September. Their website says they expect to begin interviewing in January, but reading last year's threads, they started interviewing in November. So we'll see...

Hi everybody!
I am also applying to USN this fall. I only have 5 science pre-requisites done (Calculus, Microbiology, Gen. Chem 1 and 2, and Anatomy 1). I am taking Anatomy 2 and Ochem 1 this fall and I will only have Ochem 2 left for the spring.

I don't have a bachelors degree. I only have 70 credits so far. My science GPA is 3.8 and my cumulative GPA is 3.89.

I'm taking the PCAT for the first time on August 21st. I used the Kaplan book to study, but I am not really impressed with it. If I get a bad score on the PCAT, I will retake it in October.

USN is my first choice, because I live in Vegas, but I will choose both campuses on my application. I am also applying to Worcester Massachusetts, Creighton University in Nebraska, Pacific University in Oregon, Nova Southeastern University in Florida, and Campbell in North Carolina.

Hopefully somebody will take me!:)

Hi everybody!
I am also applying to USN this fall. I only have 5 science pre-requisites done (Calculus, Microbiology, Gen. Chem 1 and 2, and Anatomy 1). I am taking Anatomy 2 and Ochem 1 this fall and I will only have Ochem 2 left for the spring.

I don't have a bachelors degree. I only have 70 credits so far. My science GPA is 3.8 and my cumulative GPA is 3.89.

I'm taking the PCAT for the first time on August 21st. I used the Kaplan book to study, but I am not really impressed with it. If I get a bad score on the PCAT, I will retake it in October.

USN is my first choice, because I live in Vegas, but I will choose both campuses on my application. I am also applying to Worcester Massachusetts, Creighton University in Nebraska, Pacific University in Oregon, Nova Southeastern University in Florida, and Campbell in North Carolina.

Buy the Pearson practice tests if you can afford it. I used the Kaplan book and thought I could easily handle the math until I took a practice test. I realized there was math on the exam that I had long forgotten but wasn't in the Kaplan book. I nearly panicked but had time to refresh my memory before the real thing. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't taken a practice exam and had that experience on the real PCAT.

I just bought 2 practice exams and I am doing terrible in each section:(:scared:

Hi everybody!

My first time taking the PCAT I had no Organic...and it killed me.

are science classes taught by ph.d.s at usn? looking through their website, i get the feeling that pharm.d.s teach most subjects, which seems odd. i understand the importance of pharmacists teaching professional topics, but i wouldn't be comfortable with a pharmacist teaching my basic science courses (i.e., physiology, chemistry, etc.). any info is appreciated :)

are science classes taught by ph.d.s at usn? looking through their website, i get the feeling that pharm.d.s teach most subjects, which seems odd. i understand the importance of pharmacists teaching professional topics, but i wouldn't be comfortable with a pharmacist teaching my basic science courses (i.e., physiology, chemistry, etc.). any info is appreciated :)

Those basic courses are taught in your pre-reqs, not in grad school. The website has a list of the actualy courses taught on the block schedule if youd like to look at that.

At the Nevada campus, it seemed like when the topic had more focus on the physiology, chemistry or kinetics, it was taught by Ph.D.s. Most of the profs we saw at first didn't even have PharmDs. In fact, after reading your post, I went back to the faculty page and was surprised by just how many of my profs had Ph.D.s and I didn't realize it. I expect in the P2 year, we will mostly have PharmDs teaching but it really should be that way because the emphasis is more on drug therapy.

So there is an exam every other Friday? When do we get our scores? The same day or do we have to wait until Monday?

So there is an exam every other Friday? When do we get our scores? The same day or do we have to wait until Monday?

Same day. Once you get your scores, you can go home and you are usually done before lunch. Once they made us wait until after lunch but I'm convinced that was done to punish us because the prof thought we were particularly obnoxious during the review.

The pharmacy calculation exams are written. You usually take those on a Monday and get them back by Wednesday because they have to be graded by hand.

I am applying to USN this cycle. I have friend who will be finishing up his Pharm D program in May and is pretty happy about the school. So I hope he can pass on his study materials to me in case I get accepted. :)
Best of luck to everyone applying! At least we have time to get the application of other schools done and out of the way before starting on this...

Does anyone know how their point system works? I know that they don't have rolling admissions so it doesn't matter when you submit your application, right?
So what is the formula they use? They say they assign points for GPA, residency, bachelors or masters, but does anyone know exactly how they calculate things? Also, how much do they look at the PCAT? This is my first pick for this year, and it might be the only one as well.
So please, if you know anything about this, let me know!

Also anyone that was invited to their first interview cycle last November: did you complete all pre-reqs at the time of the application? And did you already have your pcat scores when you were interviewed? would you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks all!!!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how their point system works? I know that they don't have rolling admissions so it doesn't matter when you submit your application, right?
So what is the formula they use? They say they assign points for GPA, residency, bachelors or masters, but does anyone know exactly how they calculate things? Also, how much do they look at the PCAT? This is my first pick for this year, and it might be the only one as well.
So please, if you know anything about this, let me know!

Also anyone that was invited to their first interview cycle last November: did you complete all pre-reqs at the time of the application? And did you already have your pcat scores when you were interviewed? would you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks all!!!

No one knows the formula...I wouldn't get too hung up on it though. And although they don't "technically" use rolling admissions, it is still good to get your application in early, as I saw from last year that some of the people who got the first interview in November were notified shortly after on their acceptance. I am an applicant like you, so I can't answer the other questions, but I just wanted to say that the formula question has been asked before and no one knows.
Also, there is already a thread for this year's application cycle, wasn't sure if you saw it.

I heard this school is quite progressive and there are a waiting list to get into. But I saw the picture of "Brian" on the website. How can that be? Lol.

Does anybody know when the interview process started last year?