University of South Florida (USF) MD Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medtrial82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Even though I'm not off the wait list yet, I'd like to see the USF 2011 thread rise to the top! Anybody else out there? Let's talk about USF... I've read all I can at the official website so lets disseminate some more info! :clap:

Even though I have one interview left, I am pretty much certain that I will be attending USF. I loved the school and am so excited to begin. Nice to meet everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad you all had a great time during your interview at USF. It really is a great place to learn to become a doctor. I have had a good experience and feel like I am going to be well-prepared to enter residency. If anyone has any specific questions I can try to answer them. You can also email me at [email protected].

How soon should we get an apartment and where? When does everything start?

Forgive me, I misread your post. But if you are not from Tampa, this is still some good information to know about where to live. :)

If you've been accepted, you should have been sent the school's financial aid application form. I don't know for sure, but I remember them saying that they have very limited institutional money, so they base most of their in house fin aid on what is put down for parental financial information. I know that there are a few scholarships that I've seen for USF med specifically, but they seem to be more directed toward third and fourth year students (for example, scholarships based on what speciality, etc.)

I do know that you have to have all your information in by April 16th to be considered for any institutional aid....so I am thinking that we may not hear about award packages until after that point. But I don't know for sure.

I'm just waiting on the info from student affairs (housing, immunizations...the updated info from what is on the "welcome c/o 2010" page...)

How soon should we get an apartment and where? When does everything start?

I think I started during early August during my 1st year. So as long as you have a place to live before that...

yea, i think orientation is august 8th

Has anyone gotten any follow up info from USF about the second look weekend? They sent me the invitation, but I have not heard from them since then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait the awesome link to the thing about where to live etc. quit working:thumbdown: ... Did anyone save it by chance? I need to figure out where to live in Tampa :confused:

Wait the awesome link to the thing about where to live etc. quit working:thumbdown: ... Did anyone save it by chance? I need to figure out where to live in Tampa :confused:

Most people either live in New Tampa (north of campus) or South Tampa (closer to downtown and TGH). I've lived in New Tampa for 3 years and have liked it. I don't think it really matters a whole lot where you live as long as it's not like somewhere really out of this immediate North/South Tampa area. Getting to clinical rotation sites really isn't too much of an issue.

Pros of New Tampa:
1) Much newer area with development still ongoing
2) Generally closer to campus
3) Generally less expensive (my 3/2 condo would sell for probably twice as much in south Tampa)

Pros of South Tampa:
1) Closer to TGH and All Childrens Hospital in St. Petersburg
2) Closer to places like Channelside, St. Pete Times Forum, Ybor city

As far as I know, there is no dress code except for specific class meetings where there will be patients, and any other "business" type situations, such as the preceptorship and such.

Does anyone know the dress code at USF COM for men?

1. Jeans not permitted?

2. Just shirt and pants - or a tie is necessary?

3. Are the requirements the same for all 4 years?

Thanks.

There is no particular dress code for the first 2 years. Most people wear shorts/jeans. You must dress for clinical duties during 3rd and 4th years although this includes either shirt/tie or scrubs, depending on which rotation you are on.

Has anyone decided where they would like to live yet?:)

Has anyone decided where they would like to live yet?:)

I need to go apartment hunting soon. I'm not sure where to find roommates, so it's going to make things difficult during the decision making. I'd like to live within walking distance of campus, but apparently the area around there is high-crime.

Yeah, walking distance may not be the best idea, but maybe a short bike ride would be okay? Temple Terrace appears to be close enough for that. I saw undergrad housing right next to the school and the area seemed okay, but I hear it can get noisy. I loved the SoHo/Hyde park area, but it is closer to the hospital than the school and it is also more expensive, so I am torn.

I just found out I will be attending USF in the fall!

Where can we find a list of required books so we can start preparing to look for used books online?

Congrats to those getting off the waitlist! :clap:

Where can we find a list of required books so we can start preparing to look for used books online?

The 12-PAC group is supposed to post that kind of stuff on the internet soon but so far nothing has been added.

Stupid question about the computer...

Can we get any laptop as long as it has those minimum requirements they list on their website?

Can we get any laptop as long as it has those minimum requirements they list on their website?

Yes. I haven't heard anything to indicate a specific laptop type/brand.

Yes. I haven't heard anything to indicate a specific laptop type/brand.

They do have listed a specific laptop type/brand. It's a Dell of some kind (I found it through the link LTD posted). However I believe they say its recommended.

yea, cause I already have a decent laptop; i was wondering if I really had a buy a new one. Some of those specifications seem like they wouldn't matter much for school usage anyways

I called the computer support desk at school and basically told them about my computer (which is also in great shape) and the tech guy told me that it was "up to me" whether I wanted to purchase a new one or not. I then called the financial aid office and they said that they would grant additional funds to cover a new laptop purchase even if it was not the suggested Dell--as long as it met the requirements. (They also said we could do this during any of the four years.)

thanks good to know; i might just try to work with mine and then get a new one if it really doesn't work out. I guess we still have to give our laptop to the IT center to get prepped. Is that correct?

You don't have to give it to them if you dont want. They just set it up for if you want to be able to save files on the network. You can just ask them to add you to the wireless network. I personally wouldn't give them my computer because the secure client they put on it slows your laptop down a whole lot. I know a few people in the 2010 class that are considering taking theirs back to have them take all the stuff back off of their computers b/c they're so slow now.

that's good to know as well. So if we don't put the secure client on our computers, we can't access the files needed for class?

would you reccomend getting a tablet? i heard people think its very useful

You can access all the files you need without the secure client. Everything is on a blackboard website. Tablets are useful for taking notes for some of the classes whose powerpoints have a lot of graphs, but I only know of a couple people who actually had them this year. There's free printing at the library if you just wanted to print them out instead.

Anyone else having problems getting their U ID# from Oasis using their SS# or directly from the school? Someone said it should have been in the acceptance letter, but there is nothing on my letter.

Anyone else having problems getting their U ID# from Oasis using their SS# or directly from the school? Someone said it should have been in the acceptance letter, but there is nothing on my letter.

No. There was nothing on my acceptance letter either. I was able to get mine online. You may want to give them a call. :luck:

that's good to know as well. So if we don't put the secure client on our computers, we can't access the files needed for class?

would you reccomend getting a tablet? i heard people think its very useful

I think it would be an ok idea if you want to pay a little more for a tablet. It's nice to be able to draw on the power points instead of using the mouse and the DRAW function in powerpoint. However, I'm not sure of the durability of tablets since a couple people in my class ended up having to replace theirs due to dropping them or the screen cracking. But in some ways I wish I had a tablet when I was in 1st and 2nd years...

You can get ANY computer you want. I know there are "requirements" listed on the website or in some paper work you might have gotten, but I can assure you that you can get anything. You actually don't even have to buy a computer, but it's really to your advantage to have one. Some people just print out the power points and bring them to class to notate on instead of their laptops. It's your preference. There's a brand new computer lab with free printing that just opened about a month ago where you can print for free, so that may be an option. I believe there are certain requirements listed such as a laser printer that are only listed so you can include that in your financial aid, but neither a laptop or laser printer is required. I'm positive of that.

You will have plenty of time to get books. Your Professions of Medicine course is a few weeks long I think and you can find out more when you start if you haven't heard yet from 12-PAC. I am not sure which biochemistry text is required, although I strongly recommend getting the Lippincott's Illustrated Biochemistry book. I did not read the assigned biochem text as there is simply not enough time. You will see that most studying comes from the powerpoints from class and from review books like BRS. So not to freak anyone out, but it's probably a safe bet to get the Lippincott's biochem book since it's your first real class after POM. If you're really ambitious I recommend at some point buying the BRS anatomy and BRS physiology books as they are great concise resources that got me through both classes and will serve you well on Step 1. That's all you probably need to worry about at this point. Good luck.

You can get ANY computer you want. I know there are "requirements" listed on the website or in some paper work you might have gotten, but I can assure you that you can get anything. You actually don't even have to buy a computer, but it's really to your advantage to have one. Some people just print out the power points and bring them to class to notate on instead of their laptops. It's your preference. There's a brand new computer lab with free printing that just opened about a month ago where you can print for free, so that may be an option. I believe there are certain requirements listed such as a laser printer that are only listed so you can include that in your financial aid, but neither a laptop or laser printer is required. I'm positive of that.

Thank you so much! You have clarified so much information. :) :) :)

Thank you so much! You have clarified so much information. :) :) :)

My pleasure. I know getting ready to start medical school is nerve-racking and hectic. I still remember when I was in your shoes and I had no idea what was going on. Good luck. I'd be happy to answer any more questions.

But I've been assured that I probably get in eventually...mid-june is the latest prediction, so may hurry up and finish! Anyhow, so I just wanted to breathe some life into this thread. Just for planning, I was wondering does anyone know the academic calendar for first year - meaning start date and end date? Also, does anyone know how long we get for Christmas vacation (if any) and how much time between first and second year? Thanks!