University of Santo Tomas (UST) Impressions and NMAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhiPsi1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread for those interested in UST to get more impressions about the school. There was alot of helpful finformation from the other thread, but since decision time is coming close for us in picking schools, just wanted to have a more centralized thread (Curriculum, Study Tips, etc.). Anyways, it would be great to get input from students from UST.

ALSO, i was wondering from the UST students....if you achieve a percentile score of 75% or above on your NMAT, are you pretty much guaranteed to get into UST because i heard the cutoff is 65%.

Members don't see this ad.

PhiPsi1 said:
I just wanted to start a thread for those interested in UST to get more impressions about the school. There was alot of helpful finformation from the other thread, but since decision time is coming close for us in picking schools, just wanted to have a more centralized thread (Curriculum, Study Tips, etc.). Anyways, it would be great to get input from students from UST.

ALSO, i was wondering from the UST students....if you achieve a percentile score of 75% or above on your NMAT, are you pretty much guaranteed to get into UST because i heard the cutoff is 65%.

You have a very good chance (not necessarily guaranteed). They take about slightly more than 400 students each year so you have a good chance.

PhiPsi1 said:

You have a very good chance (not necessarily guaranteed). They take about slightly more than 400 students each year so you have a good chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to take the NMAT this April 2006. Can I still make it with the USTapplciation? I want to get in this June or this school year. What month will the classes start? Your response is highly appreciated

Lilac84 said:
I'm going to take the NMAT this April 2006. Can I still make it with the USTapplciation? I want to get in this June or this school year. What month will the classes start? Your response is highly appreciated
Classes start in June so it might be tight. You have to contact them as they might give you some break (doubtful) to start this school year if they know you're coming from overseas.

Yes, you can still get into UST. I know people who sat the NMAT in April 2005 and started at UST in June 2005. But you should have already started or completed the paperwork for their other requirements.

All applicants for this coming year should take note that the April NMAT is only held at one location....Manila.

Saipan said:
Yes, you can still get into UST. I know people who sat the NMAT in April 2005 and started at UST in June 2005. But you should have already started or completed the paperwork for their other requirements.

All applicants for this coming year should take note that the April NMAT is only held at one location....Manila.

Really?! These past few days i was kinda dissappointed because I thought I couldn't get in this June 2006. Are you sure of that? It would have been easier If I knew someone there. By the way, I'm from UP Visayas. Thanks for giving me hope. I'm preparing for NMAT this April. Another problem is I don't have yet my diploma with me since our graduation day will be on the last week of April. Thanks!

That did happen last year. But you need to double-check with UST (and quickly), because maybe there were extenuating circumstances for those people that don't apply to you. The final decision is up to UST regardless of what happened last year.

Saipan said:

i don't think this happens. we have a family friend who's part of the admissions committee. according to him, NMAT is part of their requirements & applicants are screened between october of the previous yr to february. results are posted by late february or early march. not to mention, applications are closed by december & the latest NMAT they can accept is december of the previous yr. so, how does an april applicant get qualified by that yr.?

maybe u got their dates wrong.

I think they are pretty strict this year and I cannot make it this June 2006. So better luck next yr. Who's with me next school year, June 2007?

Congratulations to those foreign applicants admitted to UST Medicine!

1 Abinsay, Hazel L. U of Hawaii BS Bio
2 Bambico, Danilyne J. U Cent Florida BS Mol Bio
3 Cabinian, Allison L. Stevens Inst BS Chemical Biology
4 Castillo, Marc Anthony L. DePaune U BS Biology
5 Castro, Michael Brevard Comm Coll BS App Mathematics
6 Cristal, Ashley D. New York U BA
7 Daus, Janice M. U Virginia BA Psych
8 Dela Pena, Antoinette S. Boston U BS Hum Physio
9 Desquitado, Jill C. U California BS Bio
10 Lao, Kriselle Maris N. King's Col BS Immunology
11 Laurente, Robert A. Rutgers U Finance Info System
12 Mabilangan, James S. Rutgers U BS Bio
13 Mangahas, Christopher John D. UCLA BS Psych
14 Paulino, Ronaldo M. U of Guam BA Biology
15 Shamiyeh, Ferdinand Cal State U BS Nur
16 De Jesus, Anthony Carleton U BS Psych

For more info, visit http://ustfms-admcom.tripod.com/

They also have 500 local students qualified (most likely will be trimmed to 440 within a month). They qualified 254 within UST(undergrads) and 246(non-UST undergrads).

They also have 500 local students qualified (most likely will be trimmed to 440 within a month). They qualified 254 within UST(undergrads) and 246(non-UST undergrads).

tantrum said:

I remember passing by the board...they already had the list of people who are in for this year..for local...i heard it was rumorred there would be more filams for this year but i guess it was wrong. They said like over 20.

Lilac84 said:
I think they are pretty strict this year and I cannot make it this June 2006. So better luck next yr. Who's with me next school year, June 2007?

Congratulations to those foreign applicants admitted to UST Medicine!

1 Abinsay, Hazel L. U of Hawaii BS Bio
2 Bambico, Danilyne J. U Cent Florida BS Mol Bio
3 Cabinian, Allison L. Stevens Inst BS Chemical Biology
4 Castillo, Marc Anthony L. DePaune U BS Biology
5 Castro, Michael Brevard Comm Coll BS App Mathematics
6 Cristal, Ashley D. New York U BA
7 Daus, Janice M. U Virginia BA Psych
8 Dela Pena, Antoinette S. Boston U BS Hum Physio
9 Desquitado, Jill C. U California BS Bio
10 Lao, Kriselle Maris N. King's Col BS Immunology
11 Laurente, Robert A. Rutgers U Finance Info System
12 Mabilangan, James S. Rutgers U BS Bio
13 Mangahas, Christopher John D. UCLA BS Psych
14 Paulino, Ronaldo M. U of Guam BA Biology
15 Shamiyeh, Ferdinand Cal State U BS Nur
16 De Jesus, Anthony Carleton U BS Psych

For more info, visit http://ustfms-admcom.tripod.com/

Congrats to the filams who got in. But i remember some of my friends who are in this year. They weren't in the list and got in later. This is like the first batch...but a few got in...but not that many to be honest.

UST-Medical school is easily one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult professional school to enter. Each year, many applicants with high weighted averages and high NMATs are rejected while other applicants with lower weighted averages and NMAT scores are accepted. Why does this happen? Because medical schools are looking for more than just grades and NMAT test scores. We want to see well-rounded applicants who will complete the diversity of our incoming classes.

" this was posted at their homepage, it was interesting."

surghan said:
UST-Medical school is easily one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult professional school to enter. Each year, many applicants with high weighted averages and high NMATs are rejected while other applicants with lower weighted averages and NMAT scores are accepted. Why does this happen? Because medical schools are looking for more than just grades and NMAT test scores. We want to see well-rounded applicants who will complete the diversity of our incoming classes.

" this was posted at their homepage, it was interesting."

It's actually getting easier to get in. A decade ago, less than 30% non-UST grads make it to the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery. Now it's about 50%. So anything can happen once you meet their cutoff criteria.

tantrum said:
It's actually getting easier to get in. A decade ago, less than 30% non-UST grads make it to the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery. Now it's about 50%. So anything can happen once you meet their cutoff criteria.

that's cos the number of med school applicants in the philippines has dropped the last couple of years, forcing most med schools to review their standards for acceptance.

Definitely, another thing is...this is sort of money making for the school. So they accept more applicants who can pay their tuition fees. One question asked to my cousin during interview was, "Do you have a car?". She honestly said no. She didn't get in. If she only said yes, I think she will be accepted. They consider you if you can pay their tuition fees and other fees.

Lilac84 said:
Definitely, another thing is...this is sort of money making for the school. So they accept more applicants who can pay their tuition fees. One question asked to my cousin during interview was, "Do you have a car?". She honestly said no. She didn't get in. If she only said yes, I think she will be accepted. They consider you if you can pay their tuition fees and other fees.
It is the most expensive med school (other than St. Luke's). The good thing nowadays is that there are so many good choices. There's CIM and WVSU in the Visayas and FER-NRMF or UERM in Metro Manila.

RED J BLDG.

1139 Dos Castillas St., Sampaloc, Manila

(Dos Castillas- street after Lacson/Forbes, near UST Hospital; Mcdo/Bench Fix Salon side)

4th floor

1 bedroom
sala
1 toilet & bath
sink

P3750/month rent exclusive of electricity, water, and wi-fi.
Maximum of 4 tenants, already has 2, in need of 2 more.

Please contact Me-an at 09228860716.

HAVE A NICE DAY!!! :cool: ;) :D

Read more: http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...#ixzz0jhiwNBXH