~~University of Pittsburgh c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i live in oak hill apartments if anyone has questions about it. its a 5 minute walk from the dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you like it? Is it clean and safe? How much a month?

When are you guys thinking about going down there and actually looking for an apartment? I will not be able to attend the orientation, as it overlaps with my finals. So, I am thinking about going down there to look for apartment after June 16th (That’s when my classes end). Do you guys think that June will be too late to look for an apartment? I’m kind of worried…..

Members don't see this ad :)
oak hill is clean and safe. Everything is pretty much brand new, and you cant beat the distance plus there is free parking. prices are reasonable with roommate... several different floor plans. www.oakhillapts.com PM me if you want to know more about it.

teefers04 said:
oak hill is clean and safe. Everything is pretty much brand new, and you cant beat the distance plus there is free parking. prices are reasonable with roommate... several different floor plans. www.oakhillapts.com PM me if you want to know more about it.

Hi
I am also looking for an apartment, and was wondering how much would a two bedroom in oak hill cost?

Also don't they require an income for their tenants, or being in school and getting loans would do?
Regards

a 2 bedroom/2 bath apt in oak hill is about $950 that includes gas, washer/dryer downstairs. i dont know about the townhouse rates but they have a washer/dryer, only thing is that you have to pay the gas bill.

also... i dont know about grad students and having to have a cosigner.

teefers04 said:
a 2 bedroom/2 bath apt in oak hill is about $950 that includes gas, washer/dryer downstairs. i dont know about the townhouse rates but they have a washer/dryer, only thing is that you have to pay the gas bill.

I couldn't find the townhouse floor plans online...do you know if there's a different site? I would LOVE to have a washer/dryer in my apt., but I don't know if I can find it for a reasonable price. Thanks for the help teefers! Oak Hill looks great so far!! Especially since it's close!

sunphish said:
I couldn't find the townhouse floor plans online...do you know if there's a different site? I would LOVE to have a washer/dryer in my apt., but I don't know if I can find it for a reasonable price. Thanks for the help teefers! Oak Hill looks great so far!! Especially since it's close!

http://www.oakhillapts.com/oakhill-fp-gateway.htm
thats the 2 bedroom townhouse

the way to go is to get a 3 bedroom townhouse though because they are only $1250 for the balm floor plan (split 3 ways isnt bad at all). Thats what i have and I really like it. Plus if you try to get it in june/july they have a lot of specials.

hey tom3, don't forget to pack your copy of "Brokeback Mountain" :thumbup:

Grinder said:

Don't worry we got plenty of copies of "Brokeback Mountain"

Grinder said:
err... don't mind this guy. he's a friend of mine whom i'm gonna beat down the next time i see him :thumbup:

Nephi said:
Don't worry we got plenty of copies of "Brokeback Mountain"
if tom3 forgets, just pass him a copy, he'll enjoy it :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any married people starting at Pitt or am I the only one? C'mon there's gotta be someone out there. It also sounds like I'm going to be one of the oldest ones in this class. I guess I'll live with it. I'm getting really excited. I can't wait to quit my job and get out of the desert. It's gonna be flippin' sweet.

Nephi said:
Stick with smaller rental agencies, not large ones. You will get better service with smaller than larger. Plus, you may want to look into a 6 month lease instead of a 12 month lease. That way if you don't like where you are you can look into finding something better and you will know the area better also. Plus you may meet the right roommate.

Eran is right, definitely stay away from Centre Ave. Looks are deceiving.

Mt. Lebanon has really good school districts and you can get to school on the T- which you can ride for free with your id card.

The waterfront apartments are really nice, clean and safe plus they allow pets. ph: 412-476-3377. You would need a roommate. They have their own garages or uncovered parking.

There are LOTS of options for housing, Ruskin Hall is undergoing remodeling and might not be available, but Webster Hall ph: 412-682-3744 is a nice alternative along with Amberson Apartments ph: 412-6825886.
It takes about 10+ min to walk to the school from Webster, and about 10 +min with bus ride from Amberson.

Make some calls find a roommate, some of you sound like you've made yourselves some great friends already here on SDN.

Good luck,
Nephi

Awww- Yinz talkin Baht Hausing &at. Sorry, been in The Burgh way too long. I'm a Pitt Alum and for all of you moving in this year from far far away- I'd be happy to answer any *focused* questions about housing. I've been browsing this thread, and I see some Good Input from current students. However, I've got a slightly different perspective.

I came to Pitt as a "nontraditional" (ie: old) student and went the MD/PhD route. I'm originally from San Diego, been here since 1998, going back to SD this June. I've lived in Shadyside (1yr) and the North Side (7yrs)- obviously I prefer my little community in the NS, but YMMV.

When I moved out, all I heard for housing was "Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, Ruskin". Trust me, there's a LOT more out here!

Stongly consider other areas if: you're looking for a place and none of the above appeals to you, you want/have a dog, you're married, you want to live away from school, you want your own house... or, like me, you just don't want to get TOO close to the freaks in your class. :smuggrin:

I suggest Friendship, Aspinwall, Highland Park, my personal fave (and where I live) is Observatory Hill (the coolest place for a commuter student By Far!!). There's also Ross, Ben Avon, and Westview. All good areas, and your money will get you a Much nicer place than Oakland/Shady/Squirrel...

Worried about Parking? Don't! Parking for like 3$/day is available in a huge secured parking building with free shuttle service to the door of the med school until around 1am (then security gives you a ride). You can buy pre-paid magnetic cards and use them as needed. I think it's around 65$/month if you get a monthly pass (unlimited ins/outs). Do NOT park in Oakland on the Street unless you WANT your car to be broken into. Bus service is still free too, but taking the bus sucks arse and we all know it.

Traffic- what can I say, if you live off campus, you'll want to avoid Tunnels and Route 28. Those are the major bottlenecks here, and have been for years. All the neighborhoods I listed are either north or slightly east of Pitt meaning NO Tunnels! There are about 5 ways for me to get home from Pitt, so my commute is consistently 10-15 minutes no matter what. The only traffic I ever get stuck in is right around the medical center in Oakland (there's a back way around that too).

Oh yeah, I came in thinking I'd attend every class, etc... pshaww!! Yeah Right! You'll all be professional slackers after the first block. Just wait and see :sleep: Accept it early and move to where you won't run into anyone else when you're... err... studying. :idea:

dagst said:
Traffic- what can I say, if you live off campus, you'll want to avoid Tunnels and Route 28. Those are the major bottlenecks here, and have been for years. All the neighborhoods I listed are either north or slightly east of Pitt meaning NO Tunnels!

So is traffic really really bad going through the tunnels? My wife and I are moving out to Mt. Lebanon because we want our girls to have a good school in a good school district. That means we have the Liberty to go through on our way to school. Is there any way to avoid the tunnel and go over the hill and still avoid traffic? This I heard is a big downer about living on the south side.

I finished my last exam today! I am officially finished with undergrad. and starting dental school! Sad to say that I was getting worried there for a few weeks that I wasn't going to pass physics...fewf...glad that's over! Can't wait to see you guys in a month!!

sunphish said:
I finished my last exam today! I am officially finished with undergrad. and starting dental school! Sad to say that I was getting worried there for a few weeks that I wasn't going to pass physics...fewf...glad that's over! Can't wait to see you guys in a month!!

I'm so jealous, my last final is on Friday, and it's going to be a killer. Just 2 more days, 2 more days.. :)

i have almost 3 more weeks... i can't wait to get outta my all-freshman english class :laugh:

Are any of you guys on facebook??

:laugh: me too tom. i graduate memorial day weekend. that will be a ton of fun. oh yeah!

and i'm on facebook! i'm assuming you are too since you asked? :D

Hey guys.

I'm booking my room for orientation. Does anyone know if the codes that we used for interviews are still valid? And if they are, could someone please please post the code for me?

I'm making the reservation tonight and really could use to save some money. Thanks. :)

beannaithe said:
Hey guys.

I'm booking my room for orientation. Does anyone know if the codes that we used for interviews are still valid? And if they are, could someone please please post the code for me?

I'm making the reservation tonight and really could use to save some money. Thanks. :)
Hey beannaithe,

The hotels are:

*The Hampton Inn, 412-681-1000, quoted rate is $89 for a single, shuttle service available 7a.m. - 10 p.m. daily on an hourly basis. Please mention the School of Dental Medicine Interview when scheduling.

*The Holiday Inn-University Center, 412-682-6200, quoted rate is $69 single/double. You must use the Dental School code, PMED when making reservations to receive this rate. Within walking distance, shuttle service is available upon request 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.

*The Shadyside Inn, 800-767-8483, quoted rate for studio, one bedroom suite, or two bedroom suite (based on availability) is $79. You must use the Dental School code, 4010RM-1, when making reservations to receive this rate. Shuttle service must be scheduled when reservation is placed.

*The Wyndham Garden Hotel, 412-683-2040, or (toll free) 877-662-6242, quoted rate is $95 single/double. You must use the Dental School code, Dental Medicine Recruitment ID 102 when making reservations to receive this rate. Within walking distance, shuttle service is available upon request.

*Courtyard by Marriot, 412-683-3113, or (toll free) 800-321-2211, or www.courtyardshadyside.com, quoted rate is $99 single/double. Shuttle available upon request.

I don't know if the hotels are still accepting the codes, but please let us know if you find out. See you at orientation.

-Nirav

i was hoping they'd accomodate us with rooms, but oh well. i paid $75 for my stay during the interview at the holiday inn with referral. when i went back up in march, they quoted me for $150... double the price :eek: needless to say i went somewhere else, but maybe this time i'm gonna find somewhere farther out and bear with the drive :/

Has everyone done their entrance interviews for financial aid? My parents are a little freaky about giving out their personal info, I wonder how I am going to get it out of them for the HPL. They have been very supportive thus far, so I hope it won't be a problem.

tom3 said:
i was hoping they'd accomodate us with rooms, but oh well. i paid $75 for my stay during the interview at the holiday inn with referral. when i went back up in march, they quoted me for $150... double the price :eek: needless to say i went somewhere else, but maybe this time i'm gonna find somewhere farther out and bear with the drive :/

Tom, I had my dad try the code at the Holiday Inn and they gave him a rate of $109. Granted its not $75, but its still about $50 cheaper then anywhere I checked. You might want to see if they'd use the code this time.

I haven't done the entrance counseling yet. Does anyone have any idea what the "soft ID" number is?

I called the financial aid office to ask them about the “soft ID,” and they said it is like your student ID number. So, since we don’t have on yet, they told me to leave that spot blank.

I have a quick que for DAT score?
How did u mannaged to get 20?
I took kaplan practise test and my AA was 16 and RC was only 12....
I am amining for at least 20
any advise for that?

mouthcracker said:
I have a quick que for DAT score?
How did u mannaged to get 20?
I took kaplan practise test and my AA was 16 and RC was only 12....
I am amining for at least 20
any advise for that?

Get the Kaplan book and study your butt off. :laugh: I think I read through the book about `10 times and took a bunch of practice tests.

Practice makes perfect. The DAT section has some AWESOME advice on what to do in these cases.

i was just wondering what information everyone has gotten via mail or email? I got something on financial aid and a physical evaluation. I wasnt sure if anyone got anything else? thanks bunches.

I got the same things you did. Lately, I've been getting emails about different housing options

What did you guys get about financial aid, I didn't get any of that.

is anyone planning to attend the diversity celebration on friday night? i would like to go, but i think i would have to stay in pitt for another night.. so i'm still thinking about it.

I'm going to the diversity celebration. I'm going to stick around Saturday and look at housing.

Does anyone know when classes start? I found a schedule online that said August 28, but it also had the orientation listed as happening in August so I wasn't sure if that date has changed.

I am planning on attending the diversity celebration.

Zahnarzt said:
I'm going to the diversity celebration. I'm going to stick around Saturday and look at housing.

Does anyone know when classes start? I found a schedule online that said August 28, but it also had the orientation listed as happening in August so I wasn't sure if that date has changed.