~~University of Pittsburgh c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tom3

Gold Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i figured it's time we have our own thread. i've seen some names listed in the attendance thread. so come in and say hi :D

Members don't see this ad.

tom3 said:
i figured it's time we have our own thread. i've seen some names listed in the attendance thread. so come in and say hi :D
Hi!! Great idea!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay!! I've been waiting for this!! Hi guys!!

How many of us are there?

I'm hoping to join you guys. I interviewed at pitt on Jan 9th, and I'm still waiting for an answer

I am still debating between Pitt and Buffalo...buffalo has a better reputation and is cheaper, but Pitt is a nicer city and there would be more to do outside of class. I have a little time to decide, but it's really wearing on me!

hey...I see the guitar icon...do you play?...and if so...and i went to Pitt...would you want to jam and maybe play out a bit? I need music to remain sane.

:laugh: I'm really, really bad because I *never* have time to play. I'm going to play a lot over the summer so if I'm not too bad, sure we can jam. :laugh:

:laugh: I'm really, really bad because I *never* have time to play. I'm going to play a lot over the summer so if I'm not too bad, sure we can jam. :laugh:

just a quick heads up for you all if you didn't already know. i called rose on friday to clear some things up. we should expect more info in the mail around april... and receipts for our deposits sometime before then. also our summer orientation is for 3 days on june 7, 8, 9... so try not to make plans for then. i already had to cancel an overseas flight boo! :oops:

Aw man...that's like a week after my graduation. :mad:

Oh my god, summer orientation?? is it mandatory? I thought the school starts in August. Why do they want student to attend summer orientation and then wait 2 months to start school??????
I dont want to fly there twice!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not sure if it's mandatory or not.. you'd have to call rose and find out. but i'm definitely going and making sure to find a nice place to live while i'm there. shadyside ftw!

tom3 said:
just a quick heads up for you all if you didn't already know. i called rose on friday to clear some things up. we should expect more info in the mail around april... and receipts for our deposits sometime before then. also our summer orientation is for 3 days on june 7, 8, 9... so try not to make plans for then. i already had to cancel an overseas flight boo! :oops:

That's good to know. I was wondering exactly when they do orientation in June.

tom3 said:
bump :)

heehee. good idea brittny so we don't lose the post ;)

so where is everyone from? i'm from philly! :D

beannaithe said:

long island, new york

Upstate New York

beannaithe said:

Lehigh Valley, PA ;)

i'm from baltimore. living in pitt will be a welcome change to the city life i'm used to. anyone else feel like they were walking around in their own back yard while they were there? i felt so safe it was kinda weird? lol.

I'm from AZ. Pitt will definitely be a change for me. I'm pretty excited to get out of here for four years.

I just got called last Friday and I'm from AZ also!

Hi, got the call on Fri, but I can't decide Pitt or NYU? I'm from West coast.. decisions, decisions, it's driving me crazy.

Mysteree said:
Hi, got the call on Fri, but I can't decide Pitt or NYU? I'm from West coast.. decisions, decisions, it's driving me crazy.
Come on Mysteree, Pitt has cheaper tuition and cost of living, and smaller class size. Go pitt.

Oh Shinji,
I know those three things are really pulling me towards Pitt. I just wonder about the social life, or more precisely people who're in similar boat as me, i.e not coming straight from undergrad. Also when I was there, it seemed really quiet in the building and on the street (maybe because it was freezing, well freezing by my standards).

shinji said:
Come on Mysteree, Pitt has cheaper tuition and cost of living, and smaller class size. Go pitt.

Mysteree said:
Oh Shinji,
I know those three things are really pulling me towards Pitt. I just wonder about the social life, or more precisely people who're in similar boat as me, i.e not coming straight from undergrad. Also when I was there, it seemed really quiet in the building and on the street (maybe because it was freezing, well freezing by my standards).
I am a non traditional applicant and I graduated 3 years ago.
Pitts has the Steelers in the house. The brochure in the interview package also mentions about some good places to go to.

hey guys, do any of you know where you'd want to live come this fall? I'm from New York, so this will be a complete change for me. Also, how long do you have to live there in order to be considered a resident?

Mysteree said:
Oh Shinji,

I am a very non traditional student. We are who we are and I'm sure you are not in the boat alone. Pitt seems to be a place that has a lot history and things to do. Sure nothing can really compare to NYC as far as things to do goes, but a lot of your time will be spent studying and I'm sure you can make up the rest. However to each his own.

shinji & harrybagel- Thanks for your advice, I'll keep your words in mind. As I said, i haven't decided just yet :) I realize Pitt does have a lot to offer.

Shinji -I'm once again trying to remember what you looked like, cause you were there the same day as me.

Dancingdentist said:
hey guys, do any of you know where you'd want to live come this fall? I'm from New York, so this will be a complete change for me. Also, how long do you have to live there in order to be considered a resident?

:laugh: No idea yet...I'm thinking somewhere in Oakland or Shadyside....hopefully within walking distance of school. When are we supposed to be able to find an apartment?

And Mysteree, about the whole nontraditional app thing...you are who you are and for those who don't respect or accept it can go...well you know. :rolleyes: Those who don't are so not even worth your time.

beannaithe, Thanks for your comment. :)

Are you guys planning on bringing your cars to Pitt?

IF I go to Pitt, I might take my car.

NA4242 said:
Are you guys planning on bringing your cars to Pitt?

I've actually been thinking about this, and I can't come to a solid conclusion. I am sure I will probably end up bringing a car so that I don't end up having to waste my time and energy buying groceries and shleping them on the bus. Plus, I would have to do that a few times a week to have enough food instead of being able to do one big shopping trip on the weekends. Do I sound crazy here, like I am planning for the end of the world? Why, yes I do. Don't mind me! :)

:laugh: Nope sunphish, I was thinking the exact same thing actually. I always see in movies when some girl is walking and her bag splits and she chases an orange or something down the street. Yeah, that's not going to be me. :p

I'm most definately bringing my car because I want to have the freedom to go where I feel like and when. And to have the car in case I get stuck at school late at night so I don't have to walk home. And my little sister will be down at WVU so if she needs anything I'd like to be able to get to her.

So the answer to the car question is yes for me. :p

beannaithe said:
I always see in movies when some girl is walking and her bag splits and she chases an orange or something down the street. Yeah, that's not going to be me. :p

oh my gosh! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

how do you people plan on bringing your cars up there if you live across the country? that's going to be one heck of a drive.

It is a 36 hrs drive from California.

Hi guys! I have decided to go to Pittsburgh!! I just felt right when I went there for an interview.

beannaithe said:
:laugh: No idea yet...I'm thinking somewhere in Oakland or Shadyside....hopefully within walking distance of school. When are we supposed to be able to find an apartment?

I think I'll start looking for apartments when I'm down there for orientation, because its an 8 hour drive from where I live (6 the way I drive). Also, does anyone know how lenient they are in aparment complexes about having pets with you, because I have a puppy that I'm bringing with me.

In terms of a car, I agree with all of you that having one there is def. going to help.

hey guys and girls. I am attending pitt in the fall. I went to undergrad at pitt and am currently still living in oakland. so for anyone that is looking for a nice place to stay, PM me and i'll give you some info. I know its really hard coming to a new city... so i just thought id help. :)

Mysteree said:
Oh Shinji,
Hey Mysteree! I am not coming right from undergrad either. ( : Come to Pitt! I only hear great things about it!
:)

Hey,
when are the Pittsburgh deposit(s) due and how much $$$ ?
Did you guys receive this information in the mail? I haven't gotten anything yet.

Did anyone receive any scholarships offer from Pitt?

Hey,

I also cannot decide between NYU and Pitt. I like the fact that Pitt students are extremely happy with their choice, but I'm a bit concerned about the "hick-level" of Pitt students (the fact that a lot of them come from Utah, BYU and the mid-west). I was born and raised in Manhattan, but I attended a rural undergrad institution. I'm not sure if I want to endure what I had to go thru (lack of diversity, lack of interest in the arts and culture, lack of fashion, etc.) as an undergrad again. Anyone have similar concerns?

Also, how do Pitt students perform on the first board exam?
Does the school provide enough clinical experience? The clinics were almost completely empty when I interviewed.

Thanks for any feedback.

i'm heading up to pitt again in 2 weeks to look around for housing options... i'm planning to look mostly at apartments in the oakland, shadyside and maybe squirrel hill (? i forget what it's called) areas. i'll post some of my thoughts :)

alphabet said:
Hey,

I also cannot decide between NYU and Pitt. I like the fact that Pitt students are extremely happy with their choice, but I'm a bit concerned about the "hick-level" of Pitt students (the fact that a lot of them come from Utah, BYU and the mid-west). I was born and raised in Manhattan, but I attended a rural undergrad institution. I'm not sure if I want to endure what I had to go thru (lack of diversity, lack of interest in the arts and culture, lack of fashion, etc.) as an undergrad again. Anyone have similar concerns?

Also, how do Pitt students perform on the first board exam?
Does the school provide enough clinical experience? The clinics were almost completely empty when I interviewed.

Thanks for any feedback.

Hey dude, I have been very fortunate to make up my mind. I got into both Pitt and NYU. The winner for me is NYU for several reasons, but the best is it's closer to the beach than Pitt. But leaving out Pitt was a hard decision coz i heard somewhere here on SDN that there is a girl in D1 at Pitt who looks very much like Kiera Knightly. I'll miss her.
Also i was born and raised in a city of nearly 15 million... so NYC is home away from home.
Also the specialty programs at NYU are very noteworthy and you'll get more chances of networking in your profession at NYU.
Mind you, Pitt is also a very good school, in my opinion. I would love to be there, but, i just can't.

alphabet said:
Hey,

Are you judging these people because of where they are from? So they are not from a big city. So they could not be as culturally diverse or versed in the arts as you are being from NYC? I hate when people prejudge others, especially when they think they are better than someone else because of where they come from. If you are concerned, go to NYU if you can't handle people from "Hicksville". I hope you have a lot of them in your class there as well. Maybe you will become more tolerant.

alphabet said:
I'm a bit concerned about the "hick-level" of Pitt students (the fact that a lot of them come from Utah, BYU and the mid-west).
At best this is a highly insensitive statement, and at worst its downright racist. Had somone used a derogatory term for a Hispanic American, African American, Middle Eastern, gay student, etc. then everyone on this forum would be up in arms, as they should be. Yet when the word "hick" is used, it is considered socially acceptable.
alphabet said:
I'm not sure if I want to endure what I had to go thru (lack of diversity, lack of interest in the arts and culture, lack of fashion, etc.) as an undergrad again.
Endure what you had to go through? You make it sound as if you suffered through the Holocaust or slavery. If a lack of fashion sense is the worst of transgressions by people from the midwest, then we'd be lucky to have a Pittsburgh class that is full of them. If you are truly concerned that Pitt will lack diversity as your undergrad did, then you should at least take the time to check the website. Pittsburgh has a very diverse class:

Current Class Statistics
The typical class size is approximately 80 students. In the 2004-2005 school year, the dental student body consisted of 180 males and 112 females The student minority profile is comprised of 44 African American, 17 Hispanic and 60 Asian/Pacific Islander students. Each class typically has 4 to 6 international students.
http://www.dental.pitt.edu/students/first_professional.php
alphabet said:
Anyone have similar concerns?
Not likely. Some of us have real problems, like making sure we have a clean shirt on our backs. Any shirt, even one that is not fashionable.

You claim that you want diversity, yet your words demonstrate intolerance of an entire group of people. I am from the midwest, and I look forward to meeting you at Pitt and welcoming you to this planet.