University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary here as well

Nice to see you applied too ubiquinator :p

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary here as well

Nice to see you applied too ubiquinator :p
ChineseKid wats up! Nice to you see on this thread..

I hope we get to interview together here since we wont have that chance at MSUCOM :p

Haha. Hopefully!
Think positive! Lol

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary submitted!

Not a fan of this "list all the schools you have applied to/are applying to". I'm wondering if that's going to really hurt me in the end as a reapplicant and having applied to allopathic and DO...

Secondary submitted!

Not a fan of this "list all the schools you have applied to/are applying to". I'm wondering if that's going to really hurt me in the end as a reapplicant and having applied to allopathic and DO...
Agreed!

I'm not sure what use they have with this information. Although, I doubt it will affect our chances of an interview

No worries mate!

Agreed!

I'm not sure what use they have with this information. Although, I doubt it will affect our chances of an interview

No worries mate!
UBIQ! i see you are on this thread as well as the MSUCOM one! good luck here, submitted a seconary here as well

Hey Jay! Good luck to you too!!

Complete email today
Hey Ubiq, question for ya, since you seem to be in the loop and done your research on these schools (im trying to catch up!)

I got the complete email from here, UNECOM, and i snail mailed my application check. In the "complete" email, they said they woudl review for possible interview in the order in which they were makred complete. Since my check is still in the mail, even though my app is marked complete, do you think they will hold in until they cash the check? or just review it anyway?

Thanks boss!

Hey Ubiq, question for ya, since you seem to be in the loop and done your research on these schools (im trying to catch up!)

I got the complete email from here, UNECOM, and i snail mailed my application check. In the "complete" email, they said they woudl review for possible interview in the order in which they were makred complete. Since my check is still in the mail, even though my app is marked complete, do you think they will hold in until they cash the check? or just review it anyway?

Thanks boss!
Hey Jay!

I believe its dependent upon schools. If you received the complete email from UNECOMl then your application is complete (with the check withstanding), so I think they will review your application without it. If they decide to send you an II (which I hope they do!) then they could hold on to the II until they receive your check.

First batch of II went out Tues 8/20 last year! Heres to hoping!

Hey Jay!

I believe its dependent upon schools. If you received the complete email from UNECOMl then your application is complete (with the check withstanding), so I think they will review your application without it. If they decide to send you an II (which I hope they do!) then they could hold on to the II until they receive your check.

First batch of II went out Tues 8/20 last year! Heres to hoping!
I gotcha, makes sense. sounds good good luck to you as well!

Hi Everyone,

I posted on here in the past about my chances, but now have a update as sad as it it:

So I got a 27 on my MCAT PS-6 VR-10 BS-11

I have a B.S. in Molecular biology with a 3.4 sGPA and 3.3 overall
I have a Ph.D in Molecular/Cellular Biology with a 3.3 GPA
10 years of research experience in infectious disease and cancer biology which includes about a 1.5 years of clinical (working with patients) research.
I also have been an adjunct professor of both Physics and A+P for the last 2 years at a local community college.
Have been attending Osteopathic Medical conferences in the area (2 per year for the last 2 years)
Should have good recommendation letters including one from a DO

I cannot explain the PS-6 on the MCAT...I literally dont even remember that part of the test, I think I was in shock about taking the MCAT at my age.
I am retaking the MCAT sept 12th

I know this should go into the "what are my chances" forum, but I am focused on going to UNECOM...I am a Maine resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

I posted on here in the past about my chances, but now have a update as sad as it it:

10 years of research experience in infectious disease and cancer biology which includes about a 1.5 years of clinical (working with patients) research.
I also have been an adjunct professor of both Physics and A+P for the last 2 years at a local community college.
Have been attending Osteopathic Medical conferences in the area (2 per year for the last 2 years)

I cannot explain the PS-6 on the MCAT...I literally dont even remember that part of the test, I think I was in shock about taking the MCAT at my age.

I know this should go into the "what are my chances" forum, but I am focused on going to UNECOM...I am a Maine resident.

I'm not sure how much I can help as I'm a current applicant as well, but I'd say most of your stats seem pretty decent, lots of good EC's it sounds like. The MCAT may be a little bit low, as according to their website FAQ, "Medical College Admissions Test (or MCAT) has been 27 for several years. The Committee on Admissions prefers that applicants have scored at least 8, in each section, and at least 24 overall. Applicants with a single 7 in their MCAT score may face an admissions challenge. Applicants with (2) 7s or a single 6 or 5 have an even greater challenge in the process. Most successful applicants have scores composed of 8s, 9s, and 10s, with scores fairly balanced between the sections."

So the single 6 may provide you a "challenge in the process". I'd say definitely study your physics and try to boost that physics score in the fall.

Hi Everyone,

You should be most proud of your VR 10 score. You obviously have the chops to score even higher than what you got.. i would retake

PhD with a 27? come on dont waste your time and re-take the silly mcat...i mean seriosuly, you could probably teach some of the basic science courses in med school. you will be fine...

Do we really have to list ALL the schools we're applying to? Do they have any way of verifying this? :confused:

What's the point of this question anyway? :p

Yeah, I was not too happy about this question either. I didn't like that they were asking it and you always wonder what they do with that information or if it can hurt you.

I did some hunting though and AMCAS says that schools cannot see who you applied to:

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html

I sent an e-mail to AACOMAS to ask about their policy. I suspect UNECOM has no way of verifying this but I'll let you guys know what they say.

**UPDATE***

AACOMAS has verified to me that the schools you apply to have no way of seeing how many or exactly which schools you applied to.

You gpa is decent both in undergrad/grad and your mcat is fine. Yes UNE-COM makes a fuss about a 6 in one section but you have a Ph.D in molecular biology, C'mon now people!!! You hold a professional degree which attests to your 11 in biological section (which is better than avg, especially for DO programs).The paragraph in the post above me about mcat sub-section scores pertains for the most part to traditional applicants, which is not plateletfactor5.

The educational diversity and research experience you can bring, a Ph.D!, far outweighs one low subsection score in a field that is far from your field of expertise. I personally believe that you will absolutely receive an II here. Medical schools value MS and Ph.D degree holding applicants highly.

Private message me if you would like to talk more.

Pardon me if I came across as indicating that plateletfactor5's chances were shot, as I said, I'm not expert on admission either, I just was simply pointing out what their written "policy" is. I agree the Ph.D. will favor you greatly, but I still suppose retaking the MCAT may not hurt, assuming you don't mind the price, study time, etc. But I doubt the 6 will totally break you. Just my 2 cents.

**UPDATE***

AACOMAS has verified to me that the schools you apply to have no way of seeing how many or exactly which schools you applied to.

I figured this, but still put down all the schools I was applying to anyway. I'm actually applying to only 3 DO schools and 14 MD schools, despite primarily being interested in DO and UNE, but I put a little note saying that I'm only applying to the 14 AMCAS schools because I received the AMCAS waiver (which is the truth), not because I was primarily interested in MD, and only applying to DO for a "backup". I guess we'll see how they interpret that. However, I still feel as though "honesty is the best policy".

Pardon me if I came across as indicating that plateletfactor5's chances were shot, as I said, I'm not expert on admission either, I just was simply pointing out what their written "policy" is. I agree the Ph.D. will favor you greatly, but I still suppose retaking the MCAT may not hurt, assuming you don't mind the price, study time, etc. But I doubt the 6 will totally break you. Just my 2 cents.

I figured this, but still put down all the schools I was applying to anyway. I'm actually applying to only 3 DO schools and 14 MD schools, despite primarily being interested in DO and UNE, but I put a little note saying that I'm only applying to the 14 AMCAS schools because I received the AMCAS waiver (which is the truth), not because I was primarily interested in MD, and only applying to DO for a "backup". I guess we'll see how they interpret that. However, I still feel as though "honesty is the best policy".
Sorry if I sounded offense PhoenixRising18. Couldnt agree more with your advice.

Honesty is certainly the best policy. Researching last year threads, this question didnt come up in interviews (why apply to both MD & DO)?. Even if it does, you will have a great answer considering your intestest in UNE.

Good luck and I'm rooting for you! II came out 8/20 last year so maybe we'll get some action next week ay!

Any current UNECOM students willing to take a look at my secondary response?
Wasn't sure if I answered it well for certain aspects.

TIA

To the guy with the Ph.D., I bet you'll get an interview with your low PS score...but just to be safe its good to retake. Having a Ph.D. in something like cell bio means you have the critical thinking skills to basically study chemistry and physics for a month intensively and improve your score at least a few points. Your gonna be fine. Most MD programs don't even have anyone with a Ph.D. applying, and it will be a huge boost especially considering the field.

Also, I think its 100% unethical to ask us to report every school we're applying to.

Hey guys, for the secondary app, did you guys all have contact with someone from UNECOM? (First essay question)

has anyone successfully called to pay by credit card?

has anyone successfully called to pay by credit card?

I called and paid by cc a week or so ago, but have not heard anything as of yet. I was probably going to call sometime this week.

Yes. Paid by credit card over the phone. Received the complete email a few days later

I get the voicemail message every single time I try, so I was just wondering if I have consistently bad timing.

I get the voicemail message every single time I try, so I was just wondering if I have consistently bad timing.
Probably. I called once and paid. Try calling before 12 or after 2 bc they may go out on lunch then?

Any interview invites here anyone?

Last year they already went out at the start of this week.

Any interview invites here anyone?

Last year they already went out at the start of this week.
None on this thread yet. Last week they went our precisely on 8/20 which was a Monday. Maybe there are waiting for next Monday or hopefully they'll be out this week! Here to hoping!!

None on this thread yet. Last week they went our precisely on 8/20 which was a Monday. Maybe there are waiting for next Monday or hopefully they'll be out this week! Here to hoping!!

UGH!

Yeah, I looked at that thread for invites and stats.

Here's to waiting :eek:

UGH!

Yeah, I looked at that thread for invites and stats.

Here's to waiting :eek:

I want to get into this school more than anything, so I'm going nuts waiting to see if I get a II. So far I have II from NSU and LECOM but I was rejected from RVSOM and my app was wait listed at WVSOM.

Funny that this one is the shortest thread

Hey guys, for the secondary app, did you guys all have contact with someone from UNECOM? (First essay question)

Yes, I have had contact with current UNECOM students and alumni. It can be tough to find someone you know who is a current student, but if you've gone to any of the information sessions you have plenty to write about in listening to the staff members.

My pre-health committee released a list of students who've gone on to medical schools and the list details which school they attended. If you have a pre-health committee, maybe ask if they can provide you something comparable and try to connect? I think talking to someone could get you a nice insider's perspective and shed light on the things you will really like about the school.

I want to get into this school more than anything, so I'm going nuts waiting to see if I get a II. So far I have II from NSU and LECOM but I was rejected from RVSOM and my app was wait listed at WVSOM.

Funny that this one is the shortest thread
Are you IS? Do you competitive stats?

similar question: I don't know anyone attending the school, would PMing current students on SDN about the school count or be worth mentioning? becuse otherwise I got nothing.

I don't know why it wouldn't count, although I probably wouldn't mention that it was over an anonymous forum. Just say you spoke with a current student, enough said

Yes, I have had contact with current UNECOM students and alumni. It can be tough to find someone you know who is a current student, but if you've gone to any of the information sessions you have plenty to write about in listening to the staff members.

My pre-health committee released a list of students who've gone on to medical schools and the list details which school they attended. If you have a pre-health committee, maybe ask if they can provide you something comparable and try to connect? I think talking to someone could get you a nice insider's perspective and shed light on the things you will really like about the school.

Thanks, I'm from NY so I haven't had time to go to an information session and I've been out of school for 2 years now so I haven't had much contact with my pre-health committee advisor. I guess I could shoot her an email.. But there is an ample amount of information on SDN to base my interest of attending the school.

Definitely interested in this school as well. Have a mentor who is a student there atm.
Just got confirmation that my file is received today. Let's do this!

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

You go ChineseKid!

Hopefully we get to interview the same day!

So when do you guys think the interviews will go out?

Complete as of when?

Last edited:
Hey,

Does anyone know if there is a thread on SDN trying to setup people with SDN members by interview location?

I live in the state of Maine, and I am pretty sure that UNECOM isnt going to pay for a hotel when you come for an interview (I could be wrong). I was wondering if SDN has a network of SDN members that offer a place to stay and maybe showing the person around town?
Saves money and lets you get to know the area from someone who lives there, does this sound really creepy?
When I went on grad school interviews I did something similar to save money.