University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know UNECOM has a stong regional bais, but I'm just curious if anyone has any input regarding my chances.

ND resident
3.46 cGPA/3.58 sGPA (as per AACOMAS)
32 MCAT

Current first year here!

From what I've seen, UNECOM's "regional bias" is more out of the knowledge that by being the primary source of physicians for the state of Maine, they want to make sure they keep that trend by continuing to turn out physicians for Maine (as well as New England in general).

If you have a reason for liking Maine, mention it in your application/interview. I'm from Pennsylvania, but I have some family from here and I've always liked Maine a lot.

And they did highlight all the different places the students in our class were from on our first day of orientation. So I don't think it's because they're "anti-out of state," they're just "pro-Maine!"

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I'm not even sure if there is regional bias. It just happens that a lot of people from East Coast apply to UNECOM, so more of them get accepted. I am from California, and most of my friends here didn't even apply to UNECOM. I applied, and got in, and I'll be going there this summer! I am super excited! The only connection I have with Maine is that I visited there when I was little. I have tons of EC's and my application showed genuine dedication to medicine (and they really value that!). So if you like UNECOM, you should apply. Its a beautiful campus, and everyone seems reallly cool. I'm always surprised at how DL this school is on SDN.

Last edited:
I'll be applying here soon too! I just visited last Thursday after taking the MCAT up in Bangor, and I really loved the campus and the staff I met! Definitely my favorite osteopathic school, and one of my top two medical schools to which I am applying (the other being UMass, since I'm from Worcester).

I'm curious, for you current students, how many of you had a DO letter? I've shadowed a DO before, and done loads of research on osteopathic principles and honestly am really interested in practicing osteopathic medicine, but I haven't actually gotten a letter from a DO... I'm tentatively kind of "fishing around" for one before I complete the secondary in early July, but is it really that critical? I know they strongly recommend it, but would I be really put at a disadvantage without one? My grades are pretty strong (3.57 GPA, probably 27-32 MCAT), with lots of service and research extracurriculars, and great letters as is, including one from a assistant dean, two science faculty, a research mentor, etc.

Good luck to everyone else applying!

does anyone have stats for number of people from each state who are at UNECOM?

Hey,

I am a non-traditional pre-med, I recently took the mcat on May 30th 2013 and I have this terrible feeling that I totally bombed the PS section. I dont feel like the AAMC practice tests, or any of the studying really prepared me for the mix bag I got on that section.

Anyways, with out knowing my MCAT...I have a PhD in Molecular/Cellular Bio and have 15 years of research experience, and have been a adjunct faculty afew places. I am currently living in Maine and UNECOM is really the only program I want to go to. How bad is bad for my MCAT? I would guess that at best my score is going to be 6/12/13. Any idea about my chances at UNECOM?

Hey,

I am a non-traditional pre-med, I recently took the mcat on May 30th 2013 and I have this terrible feeling that I totally bombed the PS section. I dont feel like the AAMC practice tests, or any of the studying really prepared me for the mix bag I got on that section.

Anyways, with out knowing my MCAT...I have a PhD in Molecular/Cellular Bio and have 15 years of research experience, and have been a adjunct faculty afew places. I am currently living in Maine and UNECOM is really the only program I want to go to. How bad is bad for my MCAT? I would guess that at best my score is going to be 6/12/13. Any idea about my chances at UNECOM?

http://www.une.edu/com/admissions/faq.cfm. This is from their web page- #3 talks about their expectations... However, they look pretty broadly at an applicant beyond just numbers, so I'm sure that you have a shot with your background even if the worst case comes to pass. If it eases your mind, I was positive I bombed the PS section, I even left several blank or had to make a guess because I ran out of time, and I still managed a 9. Don't panic until you know that you need to, which is easier said than done, I know.

http://www.une.edu/com/admissions/faq.cfm. This is from their web page- #3 talks about their expectations... However, they look pretty broadly at an applicant beyond just numbers, so I'm sure that you have a shot with your background even if the worst case comes to pass. If it eases your mind, I was positive I bombed the PS section, I even left several blank or had to make a guess because I ran out of time, and I still managed a 9. Don't panic until you know that you need to, which is easier said than done, I know.

Thanks XFireMedic, I have looked on the website and have gone to the open house...just being a non-traditional pre-med you always feel like "THIS IS IT, THIS IS YOUR ONE CHANCE"

thanks again

Thanks XFireMedic, I have looked on the website and have gone to the open house...just being a non-traditional pre-med you always feel like "THIS IS IT, THIS IS YOUR ONE CHANCE"

thanks again

I'm non traditional as well- a 30 year old career changer, so I share your pain. Hang in there, good luck!

An acquaintance of mine was accepted here last year, she said it's a nice school. Her interview wasn't until late April though... Lol

Applying here. No ties to the area, so that is probably my biggest hurdle. 3.55 cGPA 3.37 sGPA 31M (11, 10, 10).

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my AACOMAS on the 28th (a little late :/), and this is my top choice! Not much of a community on SDN, but I visited the school and shadowed an alumni and got a really great vibe!

My stats are a 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 28 MCAT (10, 8, 10), and I'm from Massachusetts, with pretty strong ties to New England I'd say.

Good luck to everyone applying!

I just submitted my AACOMAS on the 28th (a little late :/), and this is my top choice! Not much of a community on SDN, but I visited the school and shadowed an alumni and got a really great vibe!

My stats are a 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 28 MCAT (10, 8, 10), and I'm from Massachusetts, with pretty strong ties to New England I'd say.

I haven't received so much as an email from UNE confirming that they've received my app, so I wouldn't sweat it, you're really not late. Good luck!

No worries. I submitted my AACOMAS day 1 and still haven't heard anything.

anyone know when the secondary usually comes out for UNE?

Last year they came out early July (the 10th, I believe). Maybe they're changing the prompts?

3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 35 MCAT nontrad MA resident. Haven't heard from them yet, but it doesn't seem like anyone else has either.

Haven't heard anything as well. Just keep in mind guys, an acquaintance of mine did not receive an interview from here until April, was accepted shortly after, and packed up for Maine lol.

Did you all pre-write your secondaries? I think this school might be changing their prompts. Does anyone know for sure?

Did you all pre-write your secondaries? I think this school might be changing their prompts. Does anyone know for sure?

Not even a little. I am going to call their admissions department tomorrow morning, so I will give an update if there is a noteworthy answer other than "just keep waiting".

Nope. I didn't pre-write any of them, but I find myself reusing essays I wrote for other schools and modifying to better suit the question/character limit.

nope. I didn't pre-write any of them, but i find myself reusing essays i wrote for other schools and modifying to better suit the question/character limit.

+1

Did anyone get anything yet secondary wise ?

This seems like one of the late schools to send secondaries. Anyone knows when they sent them last year?

This seems like one of the late schools to send secondaries. Anyone knows when they sent them last year?

Last year, I got one the second week of July. This year, my stats are better and nothing yet.

Did anyone get anything yet secondary wise ?

I called their admissions office today, and they were hoping secondaries would be out "by the end of the week".

I called their admissions office today, and they were hoping secondaries would be out "by the end of the week".

Thanks for posting! I was going to call tomorrow because my primary was released two weeks ago and I have still heard nothing from UNE. They should have my MCAT scores as well. I will post when I get the secondary, if no one else does. I'm guessing they are rewriting their prompts this year, as when I visited the admissions officer mentioned they were mixing things up a bit this year in their admission process, to coincide with their increased class size.

Secondary received.....but i tried logging in and it said i had an "invalid login"......entered last name and AACOMAS ID....not sure what the problem is

Secondary received.....but i tried logging in and it said i had an "invalid login"......entered last name and AACOMAS ID....not sure what the problem is

Enter the whole number without the dash and that should work.

do they screen or send secondaries out to everyone?

Same secondary as last year? If not, could you please post prompts?

Also received! Along with a friendly reminder to complete their course requirements if offered acceptance. :p

Same secondary as last year? If not, could you please post prompts?

Have you ever applied to ANY academic program (undergraduate, graduate or professional) at the University of New England?
If you answered YES to the previous question, please list the college, program, and date of each previous application:
Please list ALL medical schools (osteopathic and allopathic) to which you have applied in the past and/or are applying to this admissions cycle. List each school/college along with month/year of application:
Describe your particular interest in attending the UNE-COM and any contact you have had with UNE-COM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?
Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes/additions in education, employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.
Please explain any academic difficulties you encountered during your academic career. What insight or knowledge have you gained from these experiences that you will bring to your studies at UNE-COM?
Describe how you see the role of physicians in society (outside the direct practice of medicine.). What experiences have you had that demonstrate your readiness to meet these future role expectations.

also, dont hit "enter" on your keyboard...it will submit the secondary...i did accidently and it was basically blank, had to email them to reset it..i looked ridiculous.

I had the same problem. I made it in by capitalizing only the first letter of my last name.

Do we really have to list ALL the schools we're applying to? Do they have any way of verifying this? :confused:

What's the point of this question anyway? :p

DId people have to get an extra LOR to complete this application?

It says:
"Professional Reference (Required) - This letter can be from an allopathic physician, allied health professional, professional colleague or supervisor."

I'm sure I can get another recommendation in addition to me DO letter, but it could take some time :(

DId people have to get an extra LOR to complete this application?

It says:
"Professional Reference (Required) - This letter can be from an allopathic physician, allied health professional, professional colleague or supervisor."

I'm sure I can get another recommendation in addition to me DO letter, but it could take some time :(

Straight from their pdf instructional.

"A letter from an osteopathic physician can be used to meet the Professional Recommendation requirement."

Last edited: