University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello All! New to the forum here!

Did those of you that have already heard their decision hear so before the estimated date? I interviewed last week and they said we should be contacted on March 30th, but I will surely pull my hair out by then!!! :scared:

Please, tell me something good! :xf::xf::xf:
I also interviewed on the 24th and it sounded like it really would take until March 30th or shortly after to find out the decision due to spring break falling within the time frame. Huge bummer...i know.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All! New to the forum here!

Did those of you that have already heard their decision hear so before the estimated date? I interviewed last week and they said we should be contacted on March 30th, but I will surely pull my hair out by then!!! :scared:

Please, tell me something good! :xf::xf::xf:

I interviewed back in October and I found out a couple of days before their given estimated date. But the difference was only by 2-3 days, so not by much. Also, I found out by snail mail. I think for all the other interview dates, everyone found out by email first.

I interviewed on Nov 4th. They told me I was to know their decision by Dec 12th, but I got my acceptance letter via email on Dec 5th (so it's a week before anticipated. There was also the Thanksgiving break between when I interviewed and when they made the decision of you want to take that into consideration).

About scholarship, if you are awarded a scholarship, they would include a scholarship letter in your admission package. They only give out the three (types of) scholarships they mention on their admission website (the excellence, the non-residence, and the underserved) upon admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
Darn...okay :( thank you so much! I was really looking forward to Minnesota. :(

I would really try and get in touch with the Office of Experiential Education though to see if they expect this to be the same when you go through the process or if there are things available in California. Just a thought before you turn Minnesota down :) Best of luck

Thanks guys. I guess I had better try to "forget" that I am waiting for someone else to decide what my future entails. If only I had something to distract me, such as a semester to finish... :rolleyes:

Just learned I got accepted to the U of M Twin Cities campus!!! HAPPY DAYS!!!

Yes, I did and she got back to me right after they made their decision. Hope to see you this fall! :)

I think it was WISBadger that originally gave you the pointer. I can see how you would make the mix up, though. I was just wondering because I was planning on emailing Stacy for the most recent admitted stats once the decisions were out for the Feb 10th interviews. Sounds like they might not be completely done yet.

Edit: And it looks like you beat me in editing your post!

Just got accepted at the TC campus! I interviewed on feb 10:)

just got accepted via email!! interviewed feb 10 :) .. they said they would mail out a packet in the middle of next week~

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I've recently been accepted to The twin cities campus and would like to know if someone could help answer some of my questions:

1) How's the facility in TC? Since I interviewed at Duluth campus, I never got to see what the set up is like and there's no virtual tour of the building's interior part that I could find online.

2) I heard a mixed response about how reliable the bus system is in Twin Cities. I'm not entertaining the idea of driving or biking in the blizzard, so I'd like to know what the common mode of transportation is for the majority of you who go there.

3) This question might be a bit difficult to answer, but I'd like to know how accurate the financial figures are for the estimated cost of books and supplies per year at UMN. Based on the info that I got from my interview, it's a staggering 1.6k per year. Is this right?

Please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I also got my response via email. Congrats to everyone! =D

Hi everyone! I've recently been accepted to The twin cities campus and would like to know if someone could help answer some of my questions:

1) How's the facility in TC? Since I interviewed at Duluth campus, I never got to see what the set up is like and there's no virtual tour of the building's interior part that I could find online.

2) I heard a mixed response about how reliable the bus system is in Twin Cities. I'm not entertaining the idea of driving or biking in the blizzard, so I'd like to know what the common mode of transportation is for the majority of you who go there.

3) This question might be a bit difficult to answer, but I'd like to know how accurate the financial figures are for the estimated cost of books and supplies per year at UMN. Based on the info that I got from my interview, it's a staggering 1.6k per year. Is this right?

I'm only going to answer your third question right now (us first years have boatloads of homework right now...and I could write a novel on the first two questions!); maybe another TC student could take the first two.

I think the figure for books and supplies is vastly exaggerated, but only because the school hopes you will participate in national conventions, fraternal organizations, general organizations, etc, all of which do cost some money if you participate to the fullest extent. If you do choose to participate in some of these things (like national conventions), you can be reimbursed for up to ~40% of your costs through a few school organizations (though the figure might be much lower, depending on your costs incurred)...which is nice!

I'd actually argue that the cost of living estimates are artificially low, too. Some people will spend such a low amount, but most people will probably spend more.

I'll answer 1 and 2 since RxMPLS answered 3 (and I live out of town so I would not be the best to answer that question anyways).

1. I've actually spent a few class days at the school in Duluth. The facilities are comparable. One thing that I like about their building is that it has a lot more windows and light in it in general. Their lounge is smaller with more lounge-y chairs whereas our lounge is mostly tables with chairs with some comfy couches on the edges. Duluth's lounge computers are along the edge, whereas the TC's are in an attached quiet computer lab and another computer lab with the printer. Both lounges have some small attached study spaces. One thing that Duluth has in their lounge that the TC doesn't have is reference books. Most of our reference books are in the lab, so you can only access them when there is not another lab going on... but you can also access most of the reference books online anyways.

Duluth and TC both have comparable lecture halls. They both have tables and chairs and ITV. Neither have windows. That's about all there is to say about them. Duluth does decorate some of their lecture rooms though... which I am jealous of :)

Both campuses have a library that is attached to the building. The difference is that Duluth's is a general library and TC's is the biomedical library. Duluth's also more natural lighting in it and is architecturally appealing, whereas the BioMed library is just your average library.

The TC's lab is one large room with four sections, whereas Duluth's is on main room with a separate IV and compounding area. Both have some attached private counseling rooms for patient assessment labs. This is also the one place that the TC does have windows that Duluth doesn't. Both can be accessed by the students pretty much any time.

Both have coffee shops. Very important.

In the end, both campuses have comparable facilities. There isn't really anything that stood out to me that would make one campus "better" than the other within the buildings... except Duluth's windows. I'm all about windows and natural light (in case you couldn't tell) and that's something that is definitely lacking in the TC.

2. Most people walk or bus. From my experience, the bus system is pretty reliable, but I don't bus around the city too much. I've never heard anyone have serious complaints about it either, though. There's plenty of student housing within walking distance and Minneapolis is a very bike-friendly city. One thing that's a big PITA right now is that the city is putting in the Central Corridor lightrail, which runs right next to Moos Tower. They are supposed to finish the Minneapolis construction within the next year, and then Washington Ave will open up to bus routes again, but not general traffic. In 2013 or 14 (can't remember) the construction will be done and then they have a year of testing to do before the roads and lightrail open up again for public use.

Thanks for your detailed responses! I appreciate your insights as they've reinforced my decision to attend such a great school :)

Anybody interviewing on the 9th? Could you post how many spots are taken after your interview? I think I'm going to be offered an interview for the 24th... they just received my supplemental as of 11:30 PM on March 1st. I'll be checking my e-mail daily--they won't tell me on super short notice that I'll be interviewing this Friday, will they?

Any recent interviewees care to shed some light on what kind of attire the competition was wearing? I have a linebacker build and have a really hard time finding a suit, but I'm guessing that's the standard for a professional school interview.

And, anybody looking for roommates for next year?

Last edited:
I just wanted everyone to know that I was reading on USnews and found this article http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...est-graduate-schools-rankings-launch-march-13 which means hopefully, a new pharmacy school rankings will be available on March 13, 2012. From the third paragraph, it says: "This year, new peer assessment surveys were conducted and new rankings will be published online for the health specialties of occupational therapy, pharmacy, physical therapy, social work, audiology, speech-language pathology, and clinical psychology, as well as for public affairs and fine arts"

Last edited:
I also interviewed on 2/10, but I haven't received any email or letter yet. Is that mean I'm rejected??

I also interviewed on 2/10, but I haven't received any email or letter yet. Is that mean I'm rejected??

Could be that you got wait-listed... you should get something in the mail regardless. Just contact Stacy if you have any questions.

Good luck!

I just wanted to say that I'm really excited to meet all of you who will be attending! Im just wanting to start already! I go up to the cities and see the building and it just taunts me...

I just wanted to say that I'm really excited to meet all of you who will be attending! Im just wanting to start already! I go up to the cities and see the building and it just taunts me...

I agree! I've been up there a few times looking at apartments/houses and it's getting harder to wait. It looks like our class is getting pretty full now, can't wait to meet everyone this fall!

I agree! I've been up there a few times looking at apartments/houses and it's getting harder to wait. It looks like our class is getting pretty full now, can't wait to meet everyone this fall!

This makes me anxious while I await the U's decision. I have a while to go before then, but I'm really hoping for a positive outcome!

This makes me anxious while I await the U's decision. I have a while to go before then, but I'm really hoping for a positive outcome!

Good luck! I remember that feeling... But I've known since October so I feel like it should be starting by now. I have my condo-I already am friends with a few of our future classmates..I need to start a countdown to orientation...lol

When is our orientation again? August 20-something? We should all try to meet up before then! :)

This is from Sarah:

Mandatory Orientation will be on Wednesday, August 29 and Thursday, August 30. There will also be an optional Pre-Orientation Social sometime in July, but we have not yet set a date.

How necessary is it to have a car for the first year at the Twin Cities?

Btw, I'm looking for housing that is within busing or walking distance from the campus since parking and gas can be expensive. If anybody's looking for a roommate, please pm me. I'm female from Sacramento, CA.

How necessary is it to have a car for the first year at the Twin Cities?

Btw, I'm looking for housing that is within busing or walking distance from the campus since parking and gas can be expensive. If anybody's looking for a roommate, please pm me. I'm female from Sacramento, CA.

You should be totally okay without a car--just get a bike and a bus pass (some of those snowy days walking or biking is pretty difficult and dangerous). The light rail is pretty easy to get to as well and that will take you all the way to the airport or the Mall of America.

You should be totally okay without a car--just get a bike and a bus pass (some of those snowy days walking or biking is pretty difficult and dangerous). The light rail is pretty easy to get to as well and that will take you all the way to the airport or the Mall of America.

Thanks for the information! I really want to find a job as a pharmacy technician during my first year. Will job seeking require a car? Also, are the P1-P3 rotations usually around the area so that you can get around by public transit? Sorry if I'm being repetitive. I'm not adverse to bringing my car up here, although I might want to get settled first.

Thanks for the information! I really want to find a job as a pharmacy technician during my first year. Will job seeking require a car? Also, are the P1-P3 rotations usually around the area so that you can get around by public transit? Sorry if I'm being repetitive. I'm not adverse to bringing my car up here, although I might want to get settled first.

The bus system in the city is extensive and reliable- in terms of jobs-I guess you can only apply at places with bus stops nearby- but that should include many pharmacies (although I can't speak to the likelihood of getting a job). I'd look up the bus routes. I honestly don't know where rotations will be-as I'm just starting this fall as well. Try emailing stacy or someone for that question.

Sorry to change the subject, but has anyone been invited for an interview tomorrow? I haven't seen any posts on this, but I am thinking it would say something about the progress of admission decisions since they said they may not hold any more interviews if all the seats are full. I am just going nuts waiting to hear back from them...

If anyone attended the interview today (Mar 9th), do you mind posting up the admission stats that's in the folder about how many people have been accepted and how many seats are still available? Thanks!

Two weeks down. Approximately three more weeks of admissions limbo.

Got an interview next week Friday up in Duluth!! Anybody else going to be there?

I'm right there with ya! I hear misery loves company??? ;)

Haha. I've been trying to keep myself busy, and have been doing a pretty good job at it. But it's difficult when I am not working and considering I am only enrolled in a single class this semester I have a lot of down time. I can't help repeatedly going over my interview in my mind.

Haha. I've been trying to keep myself busy, and have been doing a pretty good job at it. But it's difficult when I am not working and considering I am only enrolled in a single class this semester I have a lot of down time. I can't help repeatedly going over my interview in my mind.

I know what you mean. I am taking 15 credits and continuing my volunteering this semester, but it's not helping...especially since we are on spring break right now. I wonder what it means that they are still interviewing? I can't figure out if that's good, bad, or irrelevant???

And don't stress over your interview. You are probably more critical of yourself than they were. Besides, there's nothing you can do about it now. Worrying is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do, but won't get you very far...

...of course, I'm just a pot calling you black. :)

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I am taking 15 credits and continuing my volunteering this semester, but it's not helping...especially since we are on spring break right now. I wonder what it means that they are still interviewing? I can't figure out if that's good, bad, or irrelevant???

And don't stress over your interview. You are probably more critical of yourself than they were. Besides, there's nothing you can do about it now. Worrying is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do, but won't get you very far...

...of course, I'm just a pot calling you black. :)
I was wondering about them still holding interviews as well. They must expect a lot of the admitted students to choose other programs yet or they are trying to build a solid wait list.

Was your interviewer taking notes throughout your interview? Mine was not, so I'm lead to believe that it was recorded.

I was wondering about them still holding interviews as well. They must expect a lot of the admitted students to choose other programs yet or they are trying to build a solid wait list.

Was your interviewer taking notes throughout your interview? Mine was not, so I'm lead to believe that it was recorded.

My interviewer took a LOT of notes. It feels like it would have been better if she hadn't! :laugh: I'm not sure, but I don't think they can record you without your explicit permission?
Also, it seems to me that they always offer admission to more people than they have seats - a bold move...I can't imagine that many people reject an offer from one of the best programs in the country...I hope I'm wrong!

My interviewer took a LOT of notes. It feels like it would have been better if she hadn't! :laugh: I'm not sure, but I don't think they can record you without your explicit permission?
Also, it seems to me that they always offer admission to more people than they have seats - a bold move...I can't imagine that many people reject an offer from one of the best programs in the country...I hope I'm wrong!
That's what I was thinking, and there was no mention of it being recorded. I definitely enjoyed the experience with no notes being taken. It felt much more like a conversation. I just thought it was peculiar.