University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I'll be sure to keep you posted. May I ask when you interviewed?

I interviewed back during the October interview session in the twin cities. I'm from Duluth originally so I really wanted to get in there and move back home.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed back during the October interview session in the twin cities. I'm from Duluth originally so I really wanted to get in there and move back home.

Those must have been a long three plus months of waiting, but I bet it was such a great feeling to get pulled from the wait list and not have to ride out the entire duration of the process. I obviously overlooked your first post about initially being wait listed. Anyways, congrats on the acceptance!

Those must have been a long three plus months of waiting, but I bet it was such a great feeling to get pulled from the wait list and not have to ride out the entire duration of the process. I obviously overlooked your first post about initially being wait listed. Anyways, congrats on the acceptance!

Yes it was a long wait. I was also accepted to the university of Colorado Denver, so I had a back up plan. But Minnesota is where I really wanted to be. Thanks again and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like decisions were sent out today. My friend just posted that she got in onf Facebook!

It looks like decisions were sent out today. My friend just posted that she got in onf Facebook!

What day did your friend interview and how did they find out the decision, by letter or by email. Thanks

If you're accepted, they will send you an email announcing your admission, and your admission package will come a few days later in the mail with all the other necessary information.

If you're accepted, they will send you an email announcing your admission, and your admission package will come a few days later in the mail with all the other necessary information.

I think that varies. I got my packet first and then the email a couple days later. Just watch both places.

Actually I had been accepted to UIC, and my deadline to let them know was today. I emailed Stacy T. and she called me tonight after my file had been reviewed. I learn my placement Monday.

Actually I had been accepted to UIC, and my deadline to let them know was today. I emailed Stacy T. and she called me tonight after my file had been reviewed. I learn my placement Monday.

Oh I see, so you just emailed asking if they made a decision yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the interviewees at the session placed into groups and everybody within that group goes into their separate interview at the same time? What is the breakdown for the scheduled activities?

The interviewees are broken into 2 groups. One group takes a tour, while the other group does the interviews and then they switch. But the interviews are one on one, so each interviewee interviews with a different faculty member.

Acceptance emails for those who interviewed on 1/27 were sent out today!! Good Luck!!

I received an acceptance email from Ms. Stacy this morning!!! Sooooo Happy!!!!!!! I interviewed on 1/27 morning at Duluth =)

Are the interviewees at the session placed into groups and everybody within that group goes into their separate interview at the same time? What is the breakdown for the scheduled activities?

Which campus will you be interviewing at this coming Friday? And how are you preparing for your interview? I'll be interviewing at the TC campus & am super excited, but nervous as well :scared:

Which campus will you be interviewing at this coming Friday? And how are you preparing for your interview? I'll be interviewing at the TC campus & am super excited, but nervous as well :scared:
I will also be interviewing in the Twin Cities. Checking in at 8 AM! To prepare I'm going to be going over my PharmCAS personal statement and my supplemental essay responses. I have looked over the interview feedback here on SDN to see some of the typical questions asked, but I do not intend on rehearsing answers for them. Beyond that I feel like my pharmacy experience and investigation into the profession will suffice to answer any question that might arise. I was nervous about a week ago, but it has started to subside and now the anticipation is building. Once I get to the interview I'm sure my nerves will get at me again.

I had my interview on Friday 2/10 on Duluth campus and they estimated that I would hear back on 3/5. The problem is that I also got accepted to UIC and have to respond to them by 3/2. Do you think the University of Minnesota will be able to give me a respond about my placement if I call them on 3/1? My friend said that they should already know by then.

I think they would already know the decision by 3/1. They also usually let you know a while before the day that they promise.

I had my interview on Friday 2/10 on Duluth campus and they estimated that I would hear back on 3/5. The problem is that I also got accepted to UIC and have to respond to them by 3/2. Do you think the University of Minnesota will be able to give me a respond about my placement if I call them on 3/1? My friend said that they should already know by then.
I had the same issue. I emailed Stacy and told her my situation and asked if there was any way she could let me know ASAP (I had also been accepted to UIC). They have the meetings to decide who gets in on Fridays, and they email on Mondays. Just email Stacy Tomhave, since I assume you are familiar with her, and she had called me immediately following their admissions meeting.

Does University of Minnesota participate in a background check? Specifically from [email protected]? I just got a reminder email from the email address saying I still need to consent to a background check, that they sent me the first email 10 days ago. I never got that first email :confused:. I was accepted to Minnesota back in November and I didn't hear them mention any background check. And why would they request it 3 months later? I also haven't gotten accepted to any other pharmacy schools recently (although I'm waiting for one school but they haven't contacted me).

So either UoM requested the background check 3 months after my acceptance, I got accepted to another school and they never told me, or this is some weird mistake. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

So confused!

Does University of Minnesota participate in a background check? Specifically from [email protected]? I just got a reminder email from the email address saying I still need to consent to a background check, that they sent me the first email 10 days ago. I never got that first email :confused:. I was accepted to Minnesota back in November and I didn't hear them mention any background check. And why would they request it 3 months later? I also haven't gotten accepted to any other pharmacy schools recently (although I'm waiting for one school but they haven't contacted me).

So either UoM requested the background check 3 months after my acceptance, I got accepted to another school and they never told me, or this is some weird mistake. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

So confused!
This happened to me as well, another school had accepted me and hadn't told me yet.

So confused!

I don't know why they just sent it now, but it's standard for pharmacy schools to do background checks. Everyone that is admitted will have to do one before classes start. I doubt it has anything to do with being accepted at other schools and I don't think that would even turn up on they type of background check that they do. My understanding of it is that it's just to make sure you aren't a criminal and that you don't have anything that will prevent you from obtaining and intern or other license.

Thank you WISBadger! I shall do that. Hopefully I will hear back in time.

So confused!

The U of M does background checks. I'm almost positive there was a consent form in the admissions packet. I'm not sure who does them though.

I interviewed yesterday and in our folders we received some info on the background checks. By Minnesota law they are required of any person having direct contact with patients. The checks are done annually by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. It doesn't have any mention of who the DHS uses for the checks, though.

Yeah I remember filling out everything that came in the packet. U of m wasn't listed as one of the schools that uses this specific company in the email so i don't think it has anything to do with my acceptance for Minnesota. Im starting to think I may have an acceptance for another school and no one told me :/

Yeah I remember filling out everything that came in the packet. U of m wasn't listed as one of the schools that uses this specific company in the email so i don't think it has anything to do with my acceptance for Minnesota. Im starting to think I may have an acceptance for another school and no one told me :/

It sure would be nice if the email stated who was requesting the check. That would be too easy, though, wouldn't it?

It sure would be nice if the email stated who was requesting the check. That would be too easy, though, wouldn't it?

I thought the same thing. I even looked for a number to call so I can ask but all I see is tech support -__-

Btw, your user name and tag line is the most awesomest thing I've seen on sdn :D

I thought the same thing. I even looked for a number to call so I can ask but all I see is tech support -__-

Btw, your user name and tag line is the most awesomest thing I've seen on sdn :D

:oops: aw shucks thanks

I interviewed yesterday and in our folders we received some info on the background checks. By Minnesota law they are required of any person having direct contact with patients. The checks are done annually by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. It doesn't have any mention of who the DHS uses for the checks, though.

Would you mind posting the admissions stats thus far that they included in the folder? The ones that say how many accepted and all that? Thanks

Would you mind posting the admissions stats thus far that they included in the folder? The ones that say how many accepted and all that? Thanks

Sure. Not a problem.

41 applicants interviewing 2/24
254 total applicants interviewed (including 2/24 interviews)
360 projected total interviews
144 applicants reviewed for admission
119 applicants admitted
167 spots in the Class of 2016 (59 Duluth, 108 Twin Cities)

Sure. Not a problem.

41 applicants interviewing 2/24
254 total applicants interviewed (including 2/24 interviews)
144 applicants reviewed for admission
119 applicants admitted

Thanks...
This is very odd. I interviewed on the 27th and these were the stats:

71 applicants interviewed on 1/27
155 total applicants interviewed (including 1/27)
84 applicants reviewed for admission
59 applicants admitted
18 Duluth
41 TC
----
If my math is correct they reviewed 60 more people since 1/27 and admitted all of them.

Thanks...

59 applicants admitted
18 Duluth
41 TC
----
If my math is correct they reviewed 60 more people since 1/27 and admitted all of them.

Huh. That is odd. I think some people were pulled off the waitlist.

Hey everyone,
Is it true that its pretty hard to get rotation out of state in the 4th year? That's what my friend told me after she talked to the director of rotation at UMN. I'm from california and I want to do at least 2 or 3 of them here to build connection...

Huh. That is odd. I think some people were pulled off the waitlist.

The waitlisted people should have already been included in the Reviewed for Admission list though. I think the most recent one is the accurate one though seeing as there's only two more interview day to fill the rest of the seats.

Thanks...

59 applicants admitted
18 Duluth
41 TC
----

Wait, I just figured it out! There was an interiview on 2/10 and nobody posted the stats. It looks like they never admit everyone from an interview day so the extras to get to 60 must be people pulled from the waitlist.

Hey everyone,
Is it true that its pretty hard to get rotation out of state in the 4th year? That's what my friend told me after she talked to the director of rotation at UMN. I'm from california and I want to do at least 2 or 3 of them here to build connection...

I can speak to this as a current 4th year. Yes it is hard to get a rotation out of state. This was recently changed during my year because the state mandates students to stay in state. There are some rotations outside including some in Wisconsin, Florida, one in Germany, and one with NIH. Other rotations would need to be ran by the office of continuing education. From my understanding you really need to provide a reason why the rotation is needed and it would likely not be approved if we have something like it in the state of Minnesota. There are NUMEROUS areas of pharmacy you can rotate through as well as many different locations but mostly within Minnesota.

Hope this helps! Please contact me with any other questions you may have from me :). Good luck!

Wait, I just figured it out! There was an interiview on 2/10 and nobody posted the stats. It looks like they never admit everyone from an interview day so the extras to get to 60 must be people pulled from the waitlist.

I interviewed on 2/10 and here were the stats:
51 applicants interviewing today
202 total applicants interviewed (including today's interviews)
63 applicants admitted

I hope this helps!
People who interviewed on 2/10 hasn't heard back yet.

I interviewed on 2/10 and here were the stats:
51 applicants interviewing today
202 total applicants interviewed (including today's interviews)
63 applicants admitted

I hope this helps!
People who interviewed on 2/10 hasn't heard back yet.
Dang. I wonder how many of the 56 people admitted between the 2/10 interview and the 2/24 interview were from the 71 that interviewed on 1/27. I know they were admitting a couple people each week from the wait list, but wow. The admitted number jumped quickly.

The number of admitted applicants does not include waitlisted students, correct? I thought that they wouldn't take people from the waitlist until after all interviews are given, because that is when they would go back and assign waitlist ranking.

The number of admitted applicants does not include waitlisted students, correct? I thought that they wouldn't take people from the waitlist until after all interviews are given, because that is when they would go back and assign waitlist ranking.

I don't believe it does, but there was one person that posted that they were pulled off the wait list and accepted. Who knows, though.

I can speak to this as a current 4th year. Yes it is hard to get a rotation out of state. This was recently changed during my year because the state mandates students to stay in state. There are some rotations outside including some in Wisconsin, Florida, one in Germany, and one with NIH. Other rotations would need to be ran by the office of continuing education. From my understanding you really need to provide a reason why the rotation is needed and it would likely not be approved if we have something like it in the state of Minnesota. There are NUMEROUS areas of pharmacy you can rotate through as well as many different locations but mostly within Minnesota.

Hope this helps! Please contact me with any other questions you may have from me :). Good luck!

Darn...okay :( thank you so much! I was really looking forward to Minnesota. :(

Have any accepted students gotten their financial aid package from MN? Just wondering how they compare to other schools.

Have any accepted students gotten their financial aid package from MN? Just wondering how they compare to other schools.

Minnesota doesn't usually set tuition rates until late spring/early summer, so you probably won't get the whole aid package until that point. These are federal loans (comparable to any other school), so nothing to get too excited about.

If you actually received a scholarship last year, they sent that information with your admissions packet. I'm assuming it's the same way this year. I don't think it's very common to receive a scholarship on admission. Check with Sarah Lofstrom if you have any questions!

Hello All! New to the forum here!

Did those of you that have already heard their decision hear so before the estimated date? I interviewed last week and they said we should be contacted on March 30th, but I will surely pull my hair out by then!!! :scared:

Please, tell me something good! :xf::xf::xf: