University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmonte

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I figured it's about time we get one of these threads out there. I can't wait to start next year! So much left to do!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having trouble activating their student email account? Mine says it's already activated, but I didn't activate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble activating their student email account? Mine says it's already activated, but I didn't activate it.

Where would i go to activate my email account?
thanks

http://www.meded.umn.edu/students/tech/

The University of Minnesota Medical School is requiring incoming students to purchase a TurningPoint remote. According to the description posted in the link above, "This clicker is a credit card size device used for instant feedback and polling in the classroom." This appears to be a preliminary step to requiring classroom attendance. I'd advise anyone concerned about being treated like an elementary school student to contact the University of Minnesota immediately to express your concern.

http://www.meded.umn.edu/students/tech/

The University of Minnesota Medical School is requiring incoming students to purchase a TurningPoint remote. According to the description posted in the link above, "This clicker is a credit card size device used for instant feedback and polling in the classroom." This appears to be a preliminary step to requiring classroom attendance. I'd advise anyone concerned about being treated like an elementary school student to contact the University of Minnesota immediately to express your concern.

Maybe I have too much faith in the school but I doubt this will be used for mandatory attendance. My wife used these in her med school classes and she said the "clicker questions" were never worth points, they were just used so the teacher could get a feel for where class was in understanding the material.

Maybe I have too much faith in the school but I doubt this will be used for mandatory attendance. My wife used these in her med school classes and she said the "clicker questions" were never worth points, they were just used so the teacher could get a feel for where class was in understanding the material.

That was my experience at the U of MN taking my pre-req classes. I thought it was somewhere between helpful and not bothersome.

At this point, it's in the U's best interest for you to succeed. I would think mandatory attendance (which rules out research conferences and the like) would not be in their own best interest.

But who knows? I could be wrong.

Are many people planning on purchasing an otoscope and opthalmoscope kit?

Are many people planning on purchasing an otoscope and opthalmoscope kit?

I did. Found a nice little combo kit for ~$110 on Amazon.
My brother-in-law graduated from the U's program and said it was nice to have your own for the clinical skills part but then he sold it right away to another med student when he graduated because he hadn't used it forever. He's FM so I kind of found it surprising that he doesn't use it at all.

Oh, and he also said to get the cheapest one that works.

I did. Found a nice little combo kit for ~$110 on Amazon.
My brother-in-law graduated from the U's program and said it was nice to have your own for the clinical skills part but then he sold it right away to another med student when he graduated because he hadn't used it forever. He's FM so I kind of found it surprising that he doesn't use it at all.

Oh, and he also said to get the cheapest one that works.

Which brand/model did you get? I was thinking about getting one, but wasn't sure which ones were decent...:confused:

you guys definitely don't need to get an oto/opthalmoscope, save your money for something useful (like twins tickets). the only thing you need is a stethoscope, and they give you one during the white coat ceremony.

Maybe I have too much faith in the school

Oh, to be young and naive...

Was it ever mentioned if we "pick" our body buddy or are they assigned?

And does anyone else think it is ridiculously lame that we have to buy our own gloves??

Was it ever mentioned if we "pick" our body buddy or are they assigned?

And does anyone else think it is ridiculously lame that we have to buy our own gloves??

I heard from a year 2 student that our body buddies are assigned to us.:D