University of Michigan-Flint DPT class '12, who's going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT2B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, newbie here~ :D

So I'll be going to Umich-Flint DPT school this fall, just wanna see if there's any of my future classmates out here. :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted and sent in my deposit, but if I get accepted into Oakland its gonna be a difficult choice for me.
Maybe I'll meet ya in the fall!

I've been accepted and sent in my deposit, but if I get accepted into Oakland its gonna be a difficult choice for me.
Maybe I'll meet ya in the fall!

Yea I haven't heard from Oakland either, but I don't think I'm going there even if I get accepted, I just found out that they have a 3.5-yr program, instead of 3 yrs, which means that you have to take more credits and spend more money, I just don't think it's necessary...but on the other hand, OU is closer to home for me...oh well, I think I still prefer to graduate early. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I grew up in Lake Orion, so I know my way around Oakland pretty well. I'd be able to live there pretty much rent-free, and I wouldn't have to take any summer classes to finish pre-requisites (I need one more biology lab for UM-Flint). But, you're right about the 3 years vs 3.5 years. And according to the APTA website, Oakland is about 6 grand more a year.

I'm on the alternate list, but I have no idea where I rank. Maybe I'll see you this fall, maybe not!

Well, good luck to you all, and hope to see you guys in the fall! :)

See ya in the fall DPT2B! Do you know where you're living yet? I'm looking at apartments in Grand Blanc.

See ya in the fall DPT2B! Do you know where you're living yet? I'm looking at apartments in Grand Blanc.

So you've decided to attend UM? That's great!

Yea, I kind of started my apt hunting too. Someone recommended me two apt complexes in Grand Blanc, one is called Perry Place, another one is Thornridge. I've never been to Flint area, so I'm wondering why some ppl choose to live in Grand Blanc instead of Flint? coz I was thinking wouldn't we be closer to the school if we live somewhere in Flint? :rolleyes:

Well, Grand Blanc is right next to Flint. The apartment I'm leaning toward is only 6 miles from campus. I'm not familiar with the Flint area either, but from the city's reputation, I'm fine with living outside of town and driving in.:)
Oh, and saw thornridge on one of my searches, seemed like a nice place.

hmm, you're right, Flint is not too safe of a place to live in, but I hope I could still live pretty close to school. so which apt complex are you looking at?

Maplebrook. They've got 1 bedrooms from 350-380, and studios at 330. The studio is what I'm looking at, mostly cause its the cheapest. Its a pretty big space, 25' x 25'. Heat and water is included in the rent. I forgot to ask them when I called what is included in the kitchen (frig, stove, dishwasher etc.). I also gotta ask them about the dimensions because the websites I've found say the square footage is 525, not 625.

man, I think it's gonna be tough to find the "perfect" apt. I'd have to do some more research. I'll let you know when I find my ideal place! Let me know where u'll be staying when you make up ur mind too! good luck! :)

I'm not too picky. Just as long as theres a roof over my head, and heat and electricity are working, I'm happy :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't take the reviews on that site too seriously. It seems like most places have a majority bad reviews. These reviews are over a span of several years, and honestly how many people are gonna take the time to put up a positive review if they had a good experience. Its expected. They get a lot of bad reviews on the site because most people that have any inclination to review an apartment complex are the ones that are P.O.ed for some reason or another.
So basically, I'm still thinking I'm gonna go cheap as hell and hope for the best:). Hopefully I won't regret it!

Hey guys,
I have a friend that's a second year at UM Flint. She is living in Grand Blanc, I believe, though I can't remember the name of her apartment complex. She lives in a 2br with another DPT student, and apparently it's very affordable. I visited her last year, their place was very nice and according to them very close to campus. If I am accepted, I'll definitely live over there. Beside, you probably don't want to live IN Flint.

I wouldn't take the reviews on that site too seriously. It seems like most places have a majority bad reviews. These reviews are over a span of several years, and honestly how many people are gonna take the time to put up a positive review if they had a good experience. Its expected. They get a lot of bad reviews on the site because most people that have any inclination to review an apartment complex are the ones that are P.O.ed for some reason or another.
So basically, I'm still thinking I'm gonna go cheap as hell and hope for the best:). Hopefully I won't regret it!

You're right, those are mostly negative reviews, pretty discouraging to read too. I just want to find a place that's not too expensive, safe, and about 15min or shorter driving to school. I don't think you'll have a problem finding your ideal place since you're not as picky :).

Hey guys,
I have a friend that's a second year at UM Flint. She is living in Grand Blanc, I believe, though I can't remember the name of her apartment complex. She lives in a 2br with another DPT student, and apparently it's very affordable. I visited her last year, their place was very nice and according to them very close to campus. If I am accepted, I'll definitely live over there. Beside, you probably don't want to live IN Flint.

Yea, I think probably most grad students live in Grand Blanc, I've also heard Davison is a decent place to live in as well...

ps, if it's possible could you find out the name of your friend's apartment complex? I'd appreciate that!

I just got in touch with a friend of a friend :) who is in the program at UM-Flint. She told me that there are a lot of students in her class and the one ahead who live in Thornridge. They live with roommates from the program, or alone, study together, and often carpool to campus. Also, she told me that there should be an email coming to newly admitted students about housing and students who are looking for roommates.
Just thought I'd let ya know, hope it helps!

Thanks! That's great info! I guess it'd be easier just to wait for that email huh? :)

I got accepted into the UM Flint program as well as Wayne. But for um flint I have to take a college algebra course. so if i can take care of that class, i'll be goin to um! im glad i found this site, im gonna look into those apartments! thanks!

Do you know anyone else that got accepted to wayne state i got my acceptance this past thursday was just wondering

Do you know anyone else that got accepted to wayne state i got my acceptance this past thursday was just wondering

Hey ptstudent, yeah i know a few of my friends got into the wayne state program as well.. they have not officially chosen wayne yet though.

I got accepted into the UM Flint program as well as Wayne. But for um flint I have to take a college algebra course. so if i can take care of that class, i'll be goin to um! im glad i found this site, im gonna look into those apartments! thanks!

Congrats! well, to make you feel better, I still have to take 3 more pre-reqs! :)..

Yeah I am narrowing my schools down to Wayne State and Tennessee State let me know if they decided

Hey everyone,

I almost forgot about this site since I got over the acceptance paranoia, but I'm glad I decided to come back. I'm going to UM-Flint, too! Where did you do undergrad at?

Congratulations tazzeroni!
I graduated from Central Michigan University in May '07 with a BS in Athletic Training. You?

Thanks, same to you! I just graduated this past December from MSU with a BS in Physiology. I'm excited to start PT school...everyone I've talked to that has gone there has enjoyed the program.

Thanks, same to you! I just graduated this past December from MSU with a BS in Physiology. I'm excited to start PT school...everyone I've talked to that has gone there has enjoyed the program.

Go green! I graduated from MSU in 07.
I'm still waitlisted at Umich. I really hope to meet some of you this fall, but I have other acceptances. The wait continues for me.

Go green! I graduated from MSU in 07.
I'm still waitlisted at Umich. I really hope to meet some of you this fall, but I have other acceptances. The wait continues for me.

Go white (funny this is being said in a UM forum...)! Hopefully you'll get in...I've heard some stories about waitlist victories. Regardless, you're already accepted to other programs so at least you know you'll be going somewhere.

I graduated from MSU too! with a BS in Human Biology...

Can't wait for PT school to start, hopefully see you all in the fall! :)

Go white (funny this is being said in a UM forum...)! Hopefully you'll get in...I've heard some stories about waitlist victories. Regardless, you're already accepted to other programs so at least you know you'll be going somewhere.

I graduated from MSU too! with a BS in Human Biology...

Can't wait for PT school to start, hopefully see you all in the fall! :)

:)
That's great! I can't wait either, I have wanted this career for a long time, and august can't get here fast enough. I have the feeling I might regret saying that at some point during PT school!
Maybe if I get in off the waitlist we can have a little MSU alumni club :xf:

:)
That's great! I can't wait either, I have wanted this career for a long time, and august can't get here fast enough. I have the feeling I might regret saying that at some point during PT school!
Maybe if I get in off the waitlist we can have a little MSU alumni club :xf:

Definitely. I'm enjoying my time off of school, but I'm ready to get my career started. Also, speaking of MSU, are you on the RCMB? Your user name looks familiar for some reason...

Definitely. I'm enjoying my time off of school, but I'm ready to get my career started. Also, speaking of MSU, are you on the RCMB? Your user name looks familiar for some reason...

:laugh::laugh:
I never thought anyone would possibly link these two websites, but you got me.
Yes, and I spend way too much time in the library being distracted by RCMB!! (for example, right now while I should be studying for micro!)

I know there was some mention of looking into places to live, but has anyone decided on a place yet? I've procrastinated on the housing issue and I'm wondering if any of you have actually seen any of the apartments...it's hard to trust reviews and pictures online...

I posted these two on the facebook group for our class.... I'm 90% sure I'll be living in Thornridge in Grand Blanc next year.

"Okay, so I just got back from a mini-vacation. I went down and visited a few apartment complexes and the campus. I visited Maplebrook, Perry Place, and Thornridge. Perry Place and Thornridge were nice, Maplebrook was a dump. I'm leaning toward Thornridge now. It was the best overall of the three that I visited IMO. Also, its right next to 475 so quick trip to campus. And I know that some current UM-DPT students live there.

Just thought I'd let ya'll know!"

Then I was asked how Thornridge compared with Perry Place...

"Oh, just off the top of my head... both were nice. They had similar style apartments. I'm leaning toward the larger, newer apartments in Thornridge. They had newer appliances (stove, larger frig) as well as a washer/dryer in each unit. I think they also had Central Air as opposed to an AC unit, but I might be mixing Perry Place and Thornridge up on that one. Anyway, the larger apartments in Thornridge had a dual sink as well.
Both complexes had stove, frig, garbage disposal and I think a dishwasher.
Thornridge had heat paid for their units with washer/dryer.
Perry Place has a fitness center, and thornridge does not.
Perry Place is next to a school, so they get patrolled by the police often (good for cutting down on vandalism and what not)

I should have brought a camera and taken notes because its hard distinguishing specifics about the two now. I just know that my first impression was better for Thornridge. I'm not saying Perry Place was bad, it definitely wasn't. I just thought Thornridge was a notch above.
Thornridge also said that any problems with apartments are addressed within 48 hours. If you've ever rented before, that would be lovely if it turns out to be true.

Thornridge is more expensive, which on SDN I said I was going to go cheap, but I now think that paying a bit more is definitely worth it. I wish Thornridge had a fitness center though, that would clinch it for me. :)

My advice is to think about what you want in an apartment, then call up complexes you are interested in and ask questions. Then take a day and check them out in person. Good luck!

PS. Both Perry Place and Thornridge will accept student loans as income. Maplebrook did also, but there were restrictions, like it had to go through the school, so private student loans weren't accepted. I'm planning on using private student loans, so Maplebrook can go suck a... sorry got a little carried away there. "

Thanks! From what I've seen online and what you've told me, Thornridge looks like the best option. I'd prefer to have a fitness center, but I'm pretty sure I recalled seeing something about us having access to UM's fitness center for free, so I'm ok with that. I'll have to find some free time to head over to Grand Blanc and check it out in person.

Do you have a link to the facebook group? I searched it, but didn't find anything (probably because I haven't added UM-Flint as a school yet)...

OK, I joined the network yesterday, but the link's not working.

Hey I just got a letter last week saying I had been accepted into the DPT program at UM-Flint!! I'm really excited and was also concerned about the whole apartment thing but not so much anymore because of the research you guys have been doing! I'm going to be graduating this May from Ashland University with a BS in Biology.... by the way... am I the only student in this forum from Ohio?

Congrats on being accepted AUtoUMgirl! So far you may be the only one from Ohio. So I feel obligated to congratulate the Wings on sweeping the Blue Jackets tonight! :)

PS. You can throw that right back at me when the Cavs (very likely) sweep the Pistons.

well.... I hate to inform you that I never really watch sports lol... however, I do know that Ohio State kicks U of M's butt every year in football... but since I'm going to be attending a U of M campus.... I think I'm going to convert to a wolverine lol

Well, you won't care since you're not a sports fan, but its only recently that Ohio State has been beating UM consistently. They are on a 5 year win streak against Michigan. The Wolverines still lead the all time series 57-42-6.

Thats great. It could be a long and difficult journey, but I am confident we can correct the error of your ways ;-)

So has anyone checked out The Landings of Fountain Pointe? They are in Grand Blanc too and seem to have a really good price and awesome amenities. P.S. I know nothing about renting... do you get to look at the exact apartment you are going to rent before you sign a lease/move in?

I did call Fountain Pointe about a month ago. I can't remember why I didn't pursue it any further. Maybe I just forgot about it with all the others I was looking at as well. I found my notes on them from the call and its pretty much the same as you see online. Unfortunately I did not check them out in person, so I can't really say whether the apartments are nice or not.

Anyway, in my limited experience with renting, I haven't seen the actual apartment I'd be moving into until I was moving in. If you visit, they will show you model apartments or vacant apartments in the style you are interested in. Once you move in you typically have about a week to fill out a form with any and all problems you've found. These can be as simple as a small dent in the drywall to an appliance not working correctly. This document will be used to tell what problems already existed and what occurred while you were living there.

Got it! Thanks for your help! I think I'm going to check out both Fountain Pointe and Thornridge this summer after I graduate. If you like I can let you guys know what I discover!

Yay we have more classmates now! welcome! :)

About housing, I think I'm just gonna wait for that email the school is supposed to send to us (hopefully soon)...otherwise I will just go with the flow, it'd be nice if we could all live in the same apartment complex!