University of Miami c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it says 5-7 minutes then that is probably correct, I never timed it. To answer the question above, i choose to ride the metro rail instead of driving to save money, but more so as a convenience factor. There are people who prefer to drive instead of taking the metro rail.

It is about 5-7 minutes.

I ride from south in the Gables/undergrad area and it takes me 15-20 minutes to get to school on the train. Even on surgery most days I was taking the train at 5:09am to school to preround.

Members don't see this ad.

Would any current students comment on why they chose their current campus over the other? I liked both for different reasons and would love to have some more input!:thumbup:

Hi all-

Received the congratulatory email today from Miami (psyched!). I unfortunately didn't take advantage of the student host program, and being out of state (MA), would really like a chance now to spend a day/night or two meeting students, getting a better idea of what the city is like, etc. Do any current students happen to know if this might be possible? Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all-

Received the congratulatory email today from Miami (psyched!). I unfortunately didn't take advantage of the student host program, and being out of state (MA), would really like a chance now to spend a day/night or two meeting students, getting a better idea of what the city is like, etc. Do any current students happen to know if this might be possible? Thanks so much in advance.

Hey did you mean you got an acceptance e-mail or an interview invitation? Either way, CONGRATS!!! If you got accepted, when did you interview, and did they give you a phone call at all? Also, I've heard if you call the admissions office they can set you up with a student housing. Good luck!

Hey did you mean you got an acceptance e-mail or an interview invitation? Either way, CONGRATS!!! If you got accepted, when did you interview, and did they give you a phone call at all? Also, I've heard if you call the admissions office they can set you up with a student housing. Good luck!

I was accepted (!) and interviewed on 10/31. They did give me a phone call, but I was at the gym!! I just about died when I saw a 305 area code...then I received an email this morning. Thanks for the info - are you a current student?

I was accepted (!) and interviewed on 10/31. They did give me a phone call, but I was at the gym!! I just about died when I saw a 305 area code...then I received an email this morning. Thanks for the info - are you a current student?

Nope not a student, but hopefully will be! I had my interview the week of Thanksgiving...I hope I get the same good news as you! Are you planning on enrolling or unsure yet? btw i'm from miami, so if you have any questions about the city i'll be more than happy to answer.

congratulations!!! this partys getting started!

Last edited:
Hi all-

If you would like to come for an unofficial second look Agnes can usually set that stuff up. In terms of staying with a student for a night, we can also work that out for you, or you can always stay in a hotel and we can have some students meet up with you... PM me if you have specific questions.

I don't normally use this phrase (especially the abbreviation) but...

OMG!!!!

One and a half admissions cycles, and finally my first acceptance. I am so relieved and happy right now. Te Amo Miami!!:love:

OMG!!!!

One and a half admissions cycles, and finally my first acceptance. I am so relieved and happy right now. Te Amo Miami!!:love:

congratulations!!! (except for the gators bit) looks like we're in the same boat.

OMG!!!!

Congrats!

hey, I'm gonna be a 1st year med student at UM next year, and i was just wondering if anyone knew any good places to live that were either walking distance or close to the metrorail. I go to the UM as an undergrad so i'm kinda familiar with the area. I heard that most 1st years live in the dominion or jackson towers? is that tue? bc i also heard they were fairly ****ty..

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, I'm gonna be a 1st year med student at UM next year, and i was just wondering if anyone knew any good places to live that were either walking distance or close to the metrorail. I go to the UM as an undergrad so i'm kinda familiar with the area. I heard that most 1st years live in the dominion or jackson towers? is that tue? bc i also heard they were fairly ****ty..
I woulden't go as far as to say most first years live there, but i think quite a few do. I live in brickell in an apt which is close to the metro. Here are some options in brickell that is close to the metro - camden(cheapest), axis(close & nice), plaza at brickell (5-7 min walk, nice), 500 brickell. I like living in brickell quite a bit.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Congrats on getting into Miami! I am a 4th year and I moving for residency, so I am trying to get rid of many books for all 4 years. They are all in pretty good condition, some have minimal highlighting. I will sell most for $10 unless otherwise specified. Please e-mail [email protected] if you would like to purchase and live in Miami. Here are some that are available, but I have more, just ask if there are specifics you are interested in.

First year Texts:
Devlin Textbook of Biochemistry ISBN# 0-471-41136-1
Lilly Pathophysiology of Heart Disease ISBN# 0-7817-4027-4
BRS Physiology ISBN#0-7817-3919-5
Lippincott's Pharmocology ISBN# 0-7817-4118-1
Lippincott's Biochemistry ISBN # 0-397-51091-8
NeuroScience ISBN# 0-87893-742-0
The Immune System ISBN# 0-8153-3043-x
Lange Cardiovascular Physiology ISBN# 0-07-138864-8
Essentials of Clinical Anatomy ISBN# 0-7817-2830-4
Medical Microbiology ISBN# 0-323-01213-2
Second Year Books:
BRS Behavioral Science - ISBN# 0-7817-5727-4
Pharmacology for the Boards and Wards - ISBN# 1-4051-0324-8
Microbiology and Immunology Rapid Review - ISBN# 0-323-00840-2
Lange Vander's Renal Physiology ISBN# 0-07-135728-9
Lange Pulmonary Pathophysiology ISBN# 0-07-142869-0
Lange Pulmonary Physiology ISBN# 0-07-138765-x
Acid-Base, Fluids, and Electrolytes Made Ridiculously Simple ISBN# 0-940780-31-3
Third Year Books:
Appelton and Lange Review Psychiatry - ISBN# 0-07-140253-5
Boards and Wards - ISBN# 1-4051-0509-7
Essentials of Family Medicine - ISBN-10# 0-7817-8188-4
Wischnitzer's Residency Manual - ISBN# 0-521-67516-2
Kaplan USMLE Step 2 CK QBook 2nd ed. - ISBN-10# 0-7432-7344-3
Obstetrics and Gynecology ISBN-10# 0-7817-5806-8
The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty - ISBN-10# 0-07-147941-4

Good Luck come August!

on the wait list.... hope to be here in the fall!!! don't kick me out yet ;)

I was just wondering how exams are structured in terms of timing at Miami. Are they all clustered within one week, so that you might have 4 exams in just a few days, or are they pretty much spread out throughout the semester/block?

Thank you!

I was just wondering how exams are structured in terms of timing at Miami. Are they all clustered within one week, so that you might have 4 exams in just a few days, or are they pretty much spread out throughout the semester/block?

Thank you!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the material is separated into modules and each module has a few different courses in it that you have pretty much everyday. There are test days every 2-4 weeks for the module. So basically on test day, all the courses of that module have a test. Tests are usually on mondays or fridays.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the material is separated into modules and each module has a few different courses in it that you have pretty much everyday. There are test days every 2-4 weeks for the module. So basically on test day, all the courses of that module have a test. Tests are usually on mondays or fridays.

Thanks xiaoyi! I didn't write anything down about this when I interviewed, so I couldn't remember. Can any current Miami students verify this?

Also, Miami is one of the schools I am strongly considering attending, but I would like to know a little more information. I know that it is typical for students to have minor gripes about the schools they attend, and some may have major problems/things they don't like about the school. I was wondering what issues current Miami students have with the school (big or small)? This might seem like a strange question, but I think it is important to know where the students are disappointed with their school! Also, if you do have something to say and want to remain anonymous, please PM me.

I guess on a more optimistic note, you could also share if there's something you absolutely love about Miami :) Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
have any accepted students heard anything from Miami except for the fact that you were accepted? Any fin aid or seat deposit info?

Hey everyone, I was wondering, what should someone expect to pay for a studio or 1bdr apt in the brickell area for example? Any other suggestions?

Phone call from regional campus today! I'm in!

Holy cow!!

congrats! I am sure Boca is your first choice now, and I am very happy for you because I know you really like Miami.

What if you also get accepted to the main campus? Which one will you choose?

congrats! I am sure Boca is your first choice now, and I am very happy for you because I know you really like Miami.

What if you also get accepted to the main campus? Which one will you choose?

I am leaning towards Main Campus. I'd have to think about it... probably 70% sure right now.

So.... where's everybody living? I'm checking out Coral gables this weekend.

Does UMMSM give us an email account? And if so, is the service/site they use any good?

Does UMMSM give us an email account? And if so, is the service/site they use any good?

Yes they do, @med.miami.edu. It's an ok service, I think it's like outlook layout. Probably will stick with my gmail for the most part.

Anyone know what the best way to find housing is? I was planning on coming down to miami next week to look, are there any people or service that will show me around?

I'd just look through craigslist, rent a car and go for it. They have a few places to find housing on UM's website.

You have to be careful though. Alot of places in Miami aren't safe AT ALL.

I'd just look through craigslist, rent a car and go for it. They have a few places to find housing on UM's website.

You have to be careful though. Alot of places in Miami aren't safe AT ALL.

That dosent sound too assuring. When I last visited, I didnt notice that many non-safe areas. Would you mind explaining which areas to avoid? I was thinking either Brickell, Coral Gables, or Jackson towers as possible places to stay.

That dosent sound too assuring. When I last visited, I didnt notice that many non-safe areas. Would you mind explaining which areas to avoid? I was thinking either Brickell, Coral Gables, or Jackson towers as possible places to stay.

I would look at gables first, brickell second and jackson towers last. Those three areas aren't bad at all. Also, coconut grove is nice, but it can be sort of expensive. If memory serves correct, Jackson Towers is difficult to get into. In any case, definitely visit and see if you like the area before making a decision.
Let me know if you have any questions. I live about 45 min away from Miami but I have friends that live there. I trust their opinion.

Two unsafe parts right off the top of my head are the area immediately east of jackson (overtown area) and parts of coconut grove. A lot of students live in brickell/downtown for the urban high rise feel. If you want somewhere more convenient then jackson towers, dominion tower, seybold pointe, or one of the houses around there. Gables is slightly farther away, mainly residential housing but there are condos available too.

I need to find an apartment of reasonable size that allows Dogs. And is metro accessible.

Any hints?

You might try rent.com. I have had some luck looking there for the Boca campus. It's a bit less sketchy than craigslist :laugh:

I know this will vary for everybody, but for those who already live in Miami, what is the typical cost of your air conditioning bill?

I am wondering this because some of the places I've looked at include A/C in the rent, and I am curious whether these are good deals or not based on what they are charging for rent and what A/C typically costs in Miami.

Thanks!

Hello, I was just wondering for those students in their clinical years, how much do you feel that you are just doing the "slave labor" of the interns/residents and how much do you feel you are involved? Anything helps.

Hey guys, I was wondering where you all are planning on living this fall. I hear that many students live in the Brickell area, as it's relatively comfortable and also convenient (being close to the metrorail and all). Are there any [reasonably priced] apartment complexes in particular that you would recommend?

Any suggestions from future or current students would be appreciated. Thanks!

I know this will vary for everybody, but for those who already live in Miami, what is the typical cost of your air conditioning bill?

I am wondering this because some of the places I've looked at include A/C in the rent, and I am curious whether these are good deals or not based on what they are charging for rent and what A/C typically costs in Miami.

Thanks!

Typical cost of electric bill (no separate air conditioning bill lol) varies greatly. When I lived with 3 other roommates in a small 2 story house with 2 central ACs, cost varied for ~$70 (january) to ~$300+ (summer). But I know ppl living in a 2/2 condo who spend less than $100 even during summer.

Last edited:
They should have a new health form up in two days. Dean Weisman said to call back on Monday if there are still issues.

So that health form is up. The instructions say:

You should complete pages 1-3 and have a physician complete pages 4-5.

But it is only 2 pages long???

Also, I need a 3rd Heb. B dose. Anybody know if they give us those for free?

Also, Also, I am part werewolf do I need a rabies shot?